• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

Stall19

As I posted in the GB thread:
"Did you see what Sheik Zanzibar did? That guy's fucking CRAZY!"

I was fucking DYING.

Even better is the Sheik casually walking up the stairs carrying an axe in front of a crowd in shock. I have no idea how he kept that run going for as long as he did with all the fuckups.

Now I want more of this.

Stoze

That GB Hitsmas video makes me really want to try out roulette.
Here's Jeff contract speedrun. The contract flows really well, I like it.

Neato, I might try these as well. Also that Dalia kill was slick as hell.
I really don't understand why the costume and weapon conditions aren't mandatory or at least if you could choose for them to be mandatory or not. The whole point is to do the kill with a certain costume/weapon. Why is it not REQUIRED?

That being said, I'll check these out.

I think part of it is because they don't want people to get frustrated if they screw up since there's no saving outside of main missions. If they changed the infrastructure to allow saves then I think there's a case to be made there.

Personally though I think if you're playing contracts you're basically one step away from self-imposed challenges, and adding restrictions would hurt more than it would help. Having a point bonus for doing the contracts correctly is already a good solution imo.

Foxxsoxx

So I finally bought a few episodes since I've been waiting for a sale, really enjoyed Paris! I put maybe 4 or so hours into it, lots of depth here and it really reminds me of Blood Money. Really awesome all around even though if you do decide to go shooting like a maniac the controls are pretty awful.

Now on to Episode 2!

Managed to get top of the leaderboard for Vinny's Hitmas on PC.

4skMLfn.jpg

Started watching the Hitsmas video, stopped it, and immediately tried Brad's requirements. Super easy Silent Assassin (though Dan would probably disapprove of a vomiting Novikov/pistol execution prompt - he was definitely standing on two feet!).

Anyone have the requirements for the other runs? I wanna try 'em before watching their attempts and probably having an aneurysm.

Why Dan always insists on making that shitty proximity mine mandatory, I'll never understand.

j-wood

After hearing all this praise on giant bomb, i'm going to get this game.

Should I get it on PS4 pro or on my PC? If the PC is the best version, should I play it with a controller?

BigAT

After hearing all this praise on giant bomb, i'm going to get this game.

Should I get it on PS4 pro or on my PC? If the PC is the best version, should I play it with a controller?

I have a decently beefy computer, so it runs fantastic there for me. I think the main selling point though is how much better the load times are on an SSD compared to PS4.

I play on PC using a PS4 controller, except for when sniping I will switch over to a mouse briefly.

Nice, that's a lot of time shaved off! Sounds like I need to rethink my approach completely :p

Cheers, it was a lot of luck tbh. :p

I started as the Tech Crew and set off the fireworks straight away. Then ran towards Novikov and threw a coin into the room with the piano to stall him. Then just run straight through the door with the guard outside into the Sheik room. Knocked the sheik out with the baton and hid him behind the couch he's sitting on. Novikov should then be coming out of the piano room again so throw another coin to bring him back in. There's an axe right outside so killed him with that. Then ran down the main stairs and down to the evidence and shot it. Our Dalia kills were basically the same from there.

DOWN

Banned
I am trying to share play the game to my friend and it is saying the game has not released in his country... yet we are both USA on USA accounts

What do I do?

I'm interested, but confused. Best Buy has the "First Season" for sale, does that mean there's DLC and shit that needs to be bought? Is there a season pass? Is the game finished? What should I buy if I just want to play the fucking game?

____

I'm interested, but confused. Best Buy has the "First Season" for sale, does that mean there's DLC and shit that needs to be bought? Is there a season pass? Is the game finished? What should I buy if I just want to play the fucking game?

It's definitely confusing how it's set up but season one is the entire full game.

The other option was an intro pack and you could purchase each different location separately if you wanted.

It's definitely confusing how it's set up but season one is the entire full game.

The other option was an intro pack and you could purchase each different location separately if you wanted.
Okidokes, thank you for clarifying.
I didnt mean to sound so stupid and angry lol.

MUnited83

For you.
Cheers, it was a lot of luck tbh. :p

I started as the Tech Crew and set off the fireworks straight away. Then ran towards Novikov and threw a coin into the room with the piano to stall him. Then just run straight through the door with the guard outside into the Sheik room. Knocked the sheik out with the baton and hid him behind the couch he's sitting on. Novikov should then be coming out of the piano room again so throw another coin to bring him back in. There's an axe right outside so killed him with that. Then ran down the main stairs and down to the evidence and shot it. Our Dalia kills were basically the same from there.

Very nice, thanks for the strategy. Going to shave off some more 20 seconds from it :p

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Bought this in the gamestop sale for $18 or whatever. Just got around to playing it, and I love it. Feels very open and I actually want to complete all the challenges.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
You know what?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think this edges out MGSV as my favorite stealth game so far this gen. Everything that went into the level design and gameplay is amazing.

LiK

Started last night and made it Ep 3. Loving the gameplay and the look of the locations. But why the hell does every NPC sound like douchebags from Wisconsin? They didn't even try to give them accents. Breaks my immersion, tbh. If this was intentional, it was a horrible decision. Takes away the exotic nature of the setting.

You know what?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think this edges out MGSV as my favorite stealth game so far this gen. Everything that went into the level design and gameplay is amazing.

Imagine if MGSV had levels as intricate as this with scenarios bespoke to that location.

Started last night and made it Ep 3. Loving the gameplay and the look of the locations. But why the hell does every NPC sound like douchebags from Wisconsin? They didn't even try to give them accents. Breaks my immersion, tbh. If this was intentional, it was a horrible decision. Takes away the exotic nature of the setting.

I used to think accents were more believable, and I hated when a character would speak English but without the corresponding accent. That bothered me until I realized how silly it was to find anything short of people speaking their actual language to be believable or more immersive.

The voice acting could be better in some spots though. Ideally, characters would speak their appropriate languages, all voiced by native or fluent speakers, there'd be subtitles when needed, and characters would speak English only when appropriate. Even then, it'd be hard to reconcile how dumb it is for a bald white dude to pass for hospital staff in a private Japanese hospital.

Ultimately, I've found all that inconsequential, and the immersion that's present in the game already (detailed mechanics, A.I. routines and level design) is what truly matters.

Mupod

I mean, I'd rather have this game's VA than something like Hong Kong in the original Deus Ex. A couple of the NPCs in Hokkaido came dangerously close to that, lol.

epmode

The voice acting could be better in some spots though. Ideally, characters would speak their appropriate languages, all voiced by native or fluent speakers, there'd be subtitles when needed, and characters would speak English only when appropriate.

I'd pay for this. 100% serious.

LiK

I wouldn't even mind it being all English speakers if they were good. But they were so hammy and I feel like we only have 4 different VAs. Most sound like the same person. It's a bit jarring because the VO from your handler and the villain in the cutscenes are so good in comparison. I'm kinda hoping Season 2 makes the NPCs sound better for immersion purposes.

Thorgal

one thing that always puzzled me ( altough i can understand for gameplay purposes ) is why after someone suffers an umh.. unfortunate accident, the guards are instantly Suspicious of 47 even if he is dressed and looking no different then any other tourist between 20 other tourists and no one even saw him anywhere near the target until he was killed .

Metal-Geo

one thing that always puzzled me ( altough i can understand for gameplay purposes ) is why after someone suffers an umh.. unfortunate accident, the guards are instantly Suspicious of 47 even if he is dressed and looking no different then any other tourist between 20 other tourists and no one even saw him anywhere near the target until he was killed .

Most likely just for balancing reasons. Makes it more difficult to grab items the target may have dropped (keys, lethal pills, whatever).

Though I guess if you really want an in-world explanation, maybe it's because 47 never looks as shocked as everybody else? :p

The one voice actress that aggravates me everytime for some reason is in Marrakesh. She's near the head master's house and is always saying "Welcome to my humble shop!" there is something about it that drives me crazy and I try to avoid that shop when I can.

One thing is for sure, this game leaves a ton of room for mechanical expansion.

- I don't know if there is room in today's attention-deficit world (because seriously, many people don't actually read subtitles) for a game where characters in every different level actually speak different languages. Like, sound design in games is supposed to give you familiar audio cues to indicate what's going on. Imagine if players had to learn six or twelve sets of phrases in different languages to indicate whether someone is becoming suspicious of you or not. The average player would just be in a state of constant confusion.

- Right now, basically no rules apply to NPCs - they're never trespassing, they can bypass all locks, and they can never be in actual conflict with each other. It would compound the game complexity to change up these rules, but I think players are expecting these kinds of changes in future seasons (rather than twelve more levels where everything is basically calm and peaceful by default).

(People keep asking for a prison level. That would be wildly unrealistic under the current game mechanics where any NPC can go through any locked door.)

DOWN

Banned
Um okay but why the hell can I record and stream this game, but can't stream it via Share Play? When other Square games work fine?

Who's decision was this and what else is wrong with them?

Joeku

I wouldn't even mind it being all English speakers if they were good. But they were so hammy and I feel like we only have 4 different VAs. Most sound like the same person. It's a bit jarring because the VO from your handler and the villain in the cutscenes are so good in comparison. I'm kinda hoping Season 2 makes the NPCs sound better for immersion purposes.

This game takes the idea of immersion and throws it back in your face. It's a goofy-as-fuck playground of systems and AI and silly logic. Your immersion should have been broken to the point of disrepair during the tutorial missions alone. You kind of have to leave it at the door.

Jintor

This game takes the idea of immersion and throws it back in your face. It's a goofy-as-fuck playground of systems and AI and silly logic. Your immersion should have been broken to the point of disrepair during the tutorial missions alone. You kind of have to leave it at the door.

Nah dude. I want my immersion b-grade and hammy, i.e. almost vaguely but not quite racist

Thorgal

i keep finding nice little details in this game .

Did you know that in Paris
the " room" where the catwalk is is actually an open courtyard and they just put a black tapestry over it to give it the feeling of being indoors ?

icespide

Banned
this game is just not clicking for me yet and I want to love it. How are people spending so much time in the levels? I basically just eliminate the targets and move on. I'm kind of overwhelmed with how big the levels are. Should I go back and complete all of the opportunities? How important is it to complete challenges?

It seems like if I just go through and kill each target for each mission and move on this game will be very short no?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
this game is just not clicking for me yet and I want to love it. How are people spending so much time in the levels? I basically just eliminate the targets and move on. I'm kind of overwhelmed with how big the levels are. Should I go back and complete all of the opportunities? How important is it to complete challenges?

It seems like if I just go through and kill each target for each mission and move on this game will be very short no?

Hitman, and the Art of Repetition | Game Maker's Toolkit

the video above is really good at explaining what makes this game so good. If you're just killing the targets and moving on you're definitely not getting the most out of the game. of course it just be that you don't want to do things again and this game isn't for you and that's fine too.

edit: also the more you play it and learn the game the more you can engage with the other modes like elusive targets. It's very rewarding in that sense.

tchocky

Yes if you just kill the targets and move on it will be very short. The game really shines when you replay the levels. You do not have to complete all the challenges but you should do enough to get Level 20 mastery on every level to unlock everything.

i keep finding nice little details in this game .

Did you know that in Paris
the " room" where the catwalk is is actually an open courtyard and they just put a black tapestry over it to give it the feeling of being indoors ?

You get this feeling that there was meant to be an alternate version of Paris where you get to see that normally. Maybe next season.

With most sandbox games, the idea is that you eventually want to try pulling off the most audacious or dumb things that the game lets you do.

With this game, it's about doing the most audacious or dumb things while also getting away with it.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Just Silent Assassin'd the Paris level

Man does this game get way better when pre-planning your moves

themoose5

Neo Member
Just picked this game up in the winter steam sale and man it was worth every penny! Level variation is amazing, I don't remember the last time that I wanted to do all the challenges in a game.

Top Bottom