• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

I finally got around to playing Holiday Hoarders now that December is over. Figuring out a speedrun route for all the challenges and SA (without looking up anything) was the most fun I've had in Paris in a while.

-
Get the fireworks remote and circumcision knife as AV crew.
-
Go downstairs and get the apricot and coconut.
-
Disguise as the Sheikh. Enter the attic, knock out a bodyguard with the fuse box distraction, disguise as the bodyguard, and hide the body.
-
Get the bust, saber, and microphone, then return to the security station. Knock out Santa when he appears, and hide the body for later.
-
Get the cowboy bust, climb down the ladder, and go down to get the cannonball, toy tank, battle axe, a propane tank from the kitchen, and finally the shuriken.
-
Go out the back doors, climb up the pipe to the top floor balcony, open the present to get three bricks, enter the attic again, and disguise as Santa.
-
Climb down the ladder again, get to the basement from the inside stairs, and enter the room where the thieves will meet. You can now set up the remaining challenges.

Yep, that's exactly why I enjoyed it.

Say whaaat. Gonna have to check this out. That still doesn't remedy the hardest part of it for me though which is hacking the laptop without people freaking out.

Also I'm an idiot, I did 4/5 parts and a long painful attempt of the 5th part of The Meiko Incarnation without having loadouts unlocked because I was level 18 and didn't look at the mastery rewards. I also failed because I didn't realize you had to kill the director in a ninja/motorcycle suit as well, it doesn't tell you that until you trigger the safe (booo).

I did The Lupei Sensitivity a couple of months ago when hacking laptops briefly worked differently: it counted as blending in rather than a suspicious action (except for one suspicious moment when starting the hack). I guess my run no longer counts, but... I would never go back and do that SA run again while also worrying about the hacking.

I was telling everyone then to do the laptop-hacking escalations ASAP, in case they change it back (which they did)!

The Meiko Incarnation was a lot like The Food Critic in that there were no perfect, neat solutions. You had to do something the hard way, one way or another. But yeah, it really needed clearer objectives for level 5.

If we're going to discuss hard escalations... this thread completely missed the release of The Lyndon Gyration for Sapienza a couple of weeks ago? This one was mentioned in the Hokkaido release notes, but not released until now.

As of level 4 it's actually getting hard in a devious fashion! You have to do a bunch of elaborate kills, there are enforcers all over with complex patterns, level objects have been removed strategically, NPC routines have been almost imperceptably shifted to make life harder for you, and basically all potential witnesses are untouchable. I can appreciate the lag in escalation releases now: they're taking the time to plan them out carefully and make the complications matter in a creative way, not a brute-force way.

From the twitter account:
praog.jpg

Jintor

i'm surprised nobody has realised yet that where tobias reiper goes death soon follows. (Is there a pun with 'Tobias'?)

I was driven to my wit's end with the Food Critic, but that's why I appreciated it more when all was said and done (even after failing SA). You have a bunch of "almost" options for SA, none of these options are just lined up for you, and it's not clear how to get the last piece of the puzzle in place. You have to work for it, and you have to own it if it doesn't work out.

I just did this.

Thorgal

From the forum :

Well, "Tobias" is a male name from Latin by way of Hebrew, it means "good." And "Reaper" ... well, you know what a reaper is. He's usually Grim, and you're in trouble if he comes to reap you.

So, Tobias Rieper = Good Killer.

I don't know if the Devs knew of this , but it sounds as good as any explenation .

Chris R

I'd never played Bangkok so I don't know where stuff is yet. My kill was basically hop in a waiter outfit, get behind him, pop the bodyguard and then pop the target with the pistol and run away lol

Can't believe it worked but whatever :D

mlclmtckr

Banned
I'm playing a bunch more of this after hearing it get talked up so much in the Giant Bomb GOTY podcasts. I bought and played Colorado, Bangkok and Hokkaido over the last three days, and now I'm working on escalations.

I really do like it a lot, but is anyone else really, really annoyed by the incidental dialogue being so unsubtly Westernized?

I know people have complained about the accents, and they are quite bad, but even disregarding the very American and British voices the writing itself is super jarring. Why did this Moroccan general go to West Point? Why do his soldiers say 'Semper Fi' to each other? Why are all these Thai waiters meeting up at a bar called Shenanigans later?

Accents are one thing, but 'translating' the actual content into American references is just ridiculous. It feels like such a small nitpick but it's the one thing that disqualifies Hitman from being a GOTY contender for me.

Thorgal

I do agree on his point about the virus :

Sapienza has clearly been a success, but not every aspect works as well. 47's final objective is to destroy Caruso's virus. ”The first time you find the secret cave, and have to find a way to destroy the virus, it works pretty well," says Christensen. ”Playing Hitman can be somewhat of a Groundhog Day experience, and, in that perspective, the virus doesn't work quite so well ... it quickly becomes a rather annoying thing you have to do, especially considering mission replay value."

it is kinda annoying that you could snipe both targets from the church tower on the other side of the map but no matter what you do ,you still need to get inside the lab through either 3 sides to destroy it every time which limits creativity imo .
don't get me wrong i wouldn't mind more objectives like this but give us the option to deal with it from long range if possible . make it more interesting .

i... also could disagree on their decision to not give Francesca her original long loop through the town which would open many new options of dealing with her .

i fully understand their reasoning why they did it though .

Maybe they could have added an opportunity or item in the world that changes her current loop to the long loop through the town w ( i also now that think dropping the church bell was originally meant to kill her when she was in the church since AFAIK it serves no purpose now )

Maybe they could have added an opportunity or item in the world that changes her current loop to the long loop through the town w ( i also now that think dropping the church bell was originally meant to kill her when she was in the church since AFAIK it serves no purpose now )

Sapienza opportunity spoilers:
The private investigator opportunity will bring her to the docks. You can become the PI and meet her there, or just wake him up and she'll go there to meet him.

Sapienza feat spoilers:
I think this is the only way to murder her with the canon in the ruins.

swarley64

On the subject of escalations... What's the deal with these escalations where they just randomly fill the map with landmines and expect you to find the deactivation switch? Doesn't everybody just look up the location of the switch online? What's the fun in searching through the whole level while tripping over landmines? It just seems like bad design.

Today I learned that while standing on a ledge next to an open window, you can aim a pistol through the window.

This game never stops giving.

On the subject of escalations... What's the deal with these escalations where they just randomly fill the map with landmines and expect you to find the deactivation switch? Doesn't everybody just look up the location of the switch online? What's the fun in searching through the whole level while tripping over landmines? It just seems like bad design.

I think there's been enough negative feedback about the landmines that they're no longer a go-to complication for escalation design. It took a while, though.

What felt like the breaking point was The Adamoli Fascination in Paris, where on level 5 you can't exit the level until you find the disarm device in one of three random locations. Which are completely arbitrary, far apart, and each watched over by an enforcer guard.

I don't like the mines either. I had a hell of a time with the Paris one where you need to kill a chef with an explosion, a dude with an SMG while dressed as a chef and the security guy with a shotgun. It's not enough to just have the disarming device, but you also need to have it equipped and visible. I smuggled in a silenced SMG and forgot to switch back to the disarming device countless times after retrieving it only to be blown up at the bottom of the stairs. It should be enough to just have it in your inventory. Unless 47's suit pockets are lined with some sort of RF blocking material, it makes no sense. That said, I think some of them are fine and encourage players to find alternate routes. I know I did a few of them without ever picking up the disarm device.

Read the PCgamer article. Lots of interesting topics brought up.

I see what they meant by needing to make NPCs "interesting" to spice up the other game modes. Most escalations are basically built around NPCs with unique routes and moments. Paris had, by far, the most of these "interesting" NPCs, which I think is why there are far fewer escalations for all the other locations.

i... also could disagree on their decision to not give Francesca her original long loop through the town which would open many new options of dealing with her .

i fully understand their reasoning why they did it though .

I hope the developers are able to figure out a way to balance long and short routes for targets.

In Paris, a lot of players didn't like waiting for events like Novikov circling around to drink the poisoned cocktail, so target routes might have became shorter because of that. On the other hand, levels like Bangkok may have suffered from target routes being too short. So you end up with a target like Ken Morgan where there is basically no reason to kill him with anything besides the poisoned dish or falling light.

Bebpo

Banned
Read the PCgamer article. Lots of interesting topics brought up.

I see what they meant by needing to make NPCs "interesting" to spice up the other game modes. Most escalations are basically built around NPCs with unique routes and moments. Paris had, by far, the most of these "interesting" NPCs, which I think is why there are far fewer escalations for all the other locations.

Absolutely, the best part of the maps are the NPC routes. By making a dozen+ unique NPC characters with their own little stories and routes it creates tons of potential for escalations and player missions. Plus the little characters and stories are a great way to add background to the mission plot without shoving it in your face in cutscenes.

Just popped in to say this game is amazing. I finished Doom Christmas Day and started Hitman later that same day what an incredible experience.

I finished most of the challenges on the Final Test and I am slowly making my way through a number of contracts on the Paris map.

Replaying the levels is becoming a bit of a chore sometimes. I'm so sick of hearing the same conversations each time I reload a level. Everyone needs to shut the fuck up, there are too many voices/conversations going on. It's especially apparent in Bangkok.

Honestly I think that once you hear a conversation, you should unlock the Intel for all playthroughs. It's not even like the conversations are clever, it's just straight American accents having incredibly contrived exposition dialogues.

And that's not even counting the random people speaking to 47 at all times. "Hey Waiter! What's a good tip?" says the guard in a country that literally doesn't even have a tipping culture. I think that should go too.

Foxxsoxx

After playing the first two missions, I'm really regretting not buying the others while they were on sale last week.

I'm having withdrawls...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The Colorado escalation effectively ended my time playing the game. Boooo

Adnor

Banned
Bought the game during the sales.

Came to say that the game is good. Like, really good.

I hope they don't take out the christmas map because I need that Santa suit.

Bought the game during the sales.

Came to say that the game is good. Like, really good.

I hope they don't take out the christmas map because I need that Santa suit.
It's never going away. It was their holiday gift to the fans.

Also I need to get back on that map as well.

Demoskinos

So i haven't checked in awhile can us plebs who were locked out of the summer bonus episode because we chose to buy the episodes piecemeal finally get access to it yet? That's been the one thing since this summer thats been real frustrating about this game. I'll pay you for the goddamn thing IO just let me buy it already.

The final bonus mission will be released at the end of this month if they're still on schedule, so the bonus pack will be available then or on the 31st when the physical copy launches.

I need to be more patient with Elusives. I could have got the SA if I had restarted instead of snapping his neck. Getting his guard to notice my gun was bothering me because I kept getting detected and that video made it look simple as shit.

Top Bottom