• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I choose to believe 47 calls himself Tobias in honour of another bald-headed master of disguise:

Dr Ort-Meyer's final words.

tenor.gif

I finally finished The Lyndon Gyration. It... took a while. So now it's time to update the escalations ranking list!

(I kind of want to bump up the escalations where you have to hack a laptop in a room full of people, since the mechanics have been reverted to how they originally worked. But it doesn't feel like they quite fit in with the escalations under very hard.)

All difficulty ratings are based on escalation level 5 (sometimes level 4, because Wild Card sometimes makes level 5 easier). Also, short descriptions as a reminder of what each one was about.

Very easy: can be brute-forced with no pressure and no real risk of failure.
- The Osterman Mosaic (The Showstopper) - saber and lasers
- The Marsden Isotopy (The Showstopper) - shotgun bartenders
- The Ezekiel Paradox (The Showstopper) - waiter explosion
- The Sigma Illusion (World of Tomorrow) - chef and laptop
- The Szilassi Darkness (World of Tomorrow) - sniper headshots
- The Scorpio Directive (World of Tomorrow) - Sapienza lasers

Easy: can be mostly brute-forced but there is some pressure and you can fail if you don't know what you're doing.
- The Snorrason Ascension (The Final Test) - colonel and soldier
- The Einarsson Inception (Guided Training) - Norfolk and guard
- The Mandelbulb Requiem (The Showstopper) - laptop and lasers
- The Granville Curiosity (The Showstopper) - toilet puzzle
- The Hexagon Protocol (The Showstopper) - garden landmines
- The Videl Cataclysm (The Showstopper) - hot disguise
- The Apeiron Sadness (World of Tomorrow) - triple explosions
- The Selmone Mimesis (World of Tomorrow) - wine cellar kills

Average: requires moderate setup or tricky steps or execution, but no real risk of failure once you know what you're doing.
- The Holmwood Disturbance (The Showstopper) - vampire magician
- The Gemini Fiasco (The Showstopper) - Kruger and Sato
- The Shapiro Omen (The Showstopper) - body hiding puzzle
- The Perkins Disarray* (The Showstopper) - auction sabotage (hard if you want silent assassin)
- The Teague Temptation (The Showstopper) - balcony push
- The Scarlatti Covenant (World of Tomorrow) - three minutes
- The Andersen Animosity* (World of Tomorrow) - saber, PI, psychologist (hard if you want silent assassin)
- The Kilie Agitation (A Gilded Cage) - shisha cafe kills
- The Sokoloff Sophistication (A Gilded Cage) - shoe shop kills
- The Ataro Caliginosity (A House Built on Sand) - fortune teller and bodyguards
- The Caden Composition (Club 27) - recording studio kills

Hard: requires heavy setup, difficult steps or high-level execution, and/or you can fail even if you know what you're doing.
- The Kerner Disquiet (The Showstopper) - loud weapons
- The Seeger Beguilement (The Showstopper) - cameraman accidents
- The Gladwyn Simulacrum (World of Tomorrow) - rapid elimination streak
- The Eccleston Illumination (World of Tomorrow) - plague katana
- The Lyndon Gyration (World of Tomorrow) - accidents in alleyways
- The Agana Abyss (The Icon) - shotguns or explosions
- The Ignatiev Integrity (A Gilded Cage) - fire, safe, shotgun
- The Lupei Sensitivity* (A Gilded Cage) - masseur and laptop (very hard if you want silent assassin)
- The Reziko Conundrum (A Gilded Cage) - shopkeeper, repairmen, landmines
- The Somsak Equation (Club 27) - bodies in freezer

Very hard: there is no trick to these, there is a high risk of failure, and it all comes down to your skills.
- The Kotti Paradigm (The Showstopper) - battle axe, suit only
- The Mallory Misfortune (Freedom Fighters) - deadly stalker
- The Meiko Incarnation (Situs Inversus) - ninja style cascade

Bullshit: even with perfect skills and execution, high risk of failure or tedium due to factors outside your control.
- The Wetzel Determination (The Showstopper) - impossible body hiding
- The Adamoli Fascination (The Showstopper) - mined exits

*All escalations marked with * use a particular kind of complication: there are mandatory disguises that can normally only be taken from NPCs, but you are not allowed to knock anyone out. You have only two choices in any of these escalations: kill NPCs for disguises and receive a penalty, or find the extra copy of the required disguise(s) hidden somewhere in the level just for this escalation. Be warned that the second option will always require very risky maneuvers and/or massive detours, making silent assassin runs of these escalations extra-hard.

Feel free to suggest adjustments - I haven't played some of these in a while, and I always go for silent assassin (but I'm trying to do these ratings for people who don't necessarily care about that).

GeeTeeCee

Looks like I'll need to spend the next few days working towards getting level 20 mastery for Colorado. I'd only played the main mission once and quickly rushed the Sarajevo Six mission.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
How do I force the attorney and the rockstar to meet?

Also been enjoying this game really much. Much, much better than Absolution.

Drazgul

@Remembrance: Great list, I'll definitely make use of this. I saw that unlockable SMG with a suppressor that you can get for 10 escalations - does that mean you need to complete 10 different ones (for a 5*10 = 50 successful attempts in all)?

tchocky

How do I force the attorney and the rockstar to meet?

Also been enjoying this game really much. Much, much better than Absolution.

Dress as a bug spray guy and talk to the hotel manager so the rock star comes downstairs, when he comes down dress as hotel staff and talk to attorney and get him to follow you and lead him to Jordan.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So how would you guys rank the maps

for me

Sapienza > Hokkaido > Bangkok > Paris > Morrakesh > Colorado

Dress as a bug spray guy and talk to the hotel manager so the rock star comes downstairs, when he comes down dress as hotel staff and talk to attorney and get him to follow you and lead him to Jordan.

thanks! I actually haven't tried the exterminator route yet

Just got this game and find it to be incredible.

I could use some help though. I'm overwhelmed with the options of playing.

What is the recommended stuff to play aside from the story? Should I bother with custom contracts or challenges?

I have limited time so I want to get the most out of it.

I finally finished The Lyndon Gyration. It... took a while. So now it's time to update the escalations ranking list!

This a damn good resource. I'm tempted to play through some of the escalations again but I couldn't remember which ones were worth it. If you're up for it might I suggest turning it into a Google doc or something similar?

What is the recommended stuff to play aside from the story? Should I bother with custom contracts or challenges?

When you say limited time do you mean you can only play for X hours at a time or you can only play the game until a certain date?

To start off I'd say try to at least Silent Assassin all of the main missions. Then see where you want to go from there.

See Remembrance's list for a breakdown of the escalations. I'd say Average, Hard & Very Hard are worth playing if you don't want to do them all. Generally the more challenging ones are the best, though the bullshit tier are indeed bullshit. The "featured" contracts are selected by IO, so they're some of the best. Challenges are up to you, there's a lot of them and most kills you can think of have some sort of challenge with it so you'll get a fair few just from playing/replaying.

ZeroX03

Banned

I'd do the opportunities, they're the fastest way to learn the maps. Some people recommend turning them off and learning the traditional way, but they're designed to teach you what you need to know. They'll also get you a bunch of challenges, which in turn leads to experience for mastery and unlocking new stuff.

Getting enough challenges done to hit mastery level 20 is probably the best balance between time conscious and completionist.

This a damn good resource. I'm tempted to play through some of the escalations again but I couldn't remember which ones were worth it. If you're up for it might I suggest turning it into a Google doc or something similar?

I know TheKotti maintains his own list that's already in Google Docs. I might look into how I want to present this.

I haven't even tried to tackle the question of how you recommend escalations as being "worth it". TheKotti's list has average user ratings, but that's probably heavily weighted towards SA runs.

Also, Torben Ellert tweeted that there are "around 300" NPCs in Hokkaido (when we've only seen half that many)!? https://twitter.com/TorbenEllert/status/816954461176430592 What is he trying to tell us (unless I'm missing something painfully obvious)?

In Bangkok,
I got Morgan (who had already picked up an explosive phone) to meet up with Cross in the atrium. Called Morgan from the maintenance room and blew them both up, and my plan was to immediately poison the atrium with insecticide when the guards ran in, but this sadly kept crashing the game. I have to wait like 10 seconds before poisoning the ventilation in order for it to not crash. Bummer.

My shenanigans were apparently too much for the game to handle!

Also, just a general Bangkok/Club 27 question:
How does the missing window panel on the atrium roof come into play during Club 27? I did all of the challenges on that map and it never really factored in at all...it seemed like it would play a more important role than it does. I figured there had to be a way to push Cross on top of Morgan ala the Paris level, or you could drop something through the window on top of either/both of them. What am I missing?

In Bangkok,
I got Morgan (who had already picked up an explosive phone) to meet up with Cross in the atrium. Called Morgan from the maintenance room and blew them both up, and my plan was to immediately poison the atrium with insecticide when the guards ran in, but this sadly kept crashing the game. I have to wait like 10 seconds before poisoning the ventilation in order for it to not crash. Bummer.

My shenanigans were apparently too much for the game to handle!

Also, just a general Bangkok/Club 27 question:
How does the missing window panel on the atrium roof come into play during Club 27? I did all of the challenges on that map and it never really factored in at all...it seemed like it would play a more important role than it does. I figured there had to be a way to push Cross on top of Morgan ala the Paris level, or you could drop something through the window on top of either/both of them. What am I missing?

I think the missing window panel is only good for shooting coconuts to drop them on people.
People definitely tried to make Cross fall on Morgan by pushing him as the drummer with the right timing. Unfortunately it looks like that just doesn't work unless it's scripted like in Paris.

I think the missing window panel is only good for shooting coconuts to drop them on people.
People definitely tried to make Cross fall on Morgan by pushing him as the drummer with the right timing. Unfortunately it looks like that just doesn't work unless it's scripted like in Paris.
I figured as much on the coconuts. :(

Hmmm...the only way I can think to do it would be to incapacitate Cross on the roof while disguised as the drummer, drop an item through the window that would get Morgan's attention while he's at the reception desk, and then drop Cross' body through the window and see if it would land on Morgan.

The only problem is that where Morgan stands next to reception, it would be hard to throw any item down there that would get his attention and only his attention.

Damn. When I had that light bulb moment of like, "Holy shit, I bet you can push Cross on top of Morgan!" I was so excited. And I'm not really disappointed that it's not possible...it speaks to how good Hitman is that I would even think it's remotely doable.

Paris
Sapienza
Hokkaido - I love this map and I love the premise and unique conditions (like not being able to pick items at first), but after really digging in, its a bit small and limited compared to others.
Bangkok
Marrakesh
Colorado

So how would you guys rank the maps

for me

Sapienza > Hokkaido > Bangkok > Paris > Morrakesh > Colorado

thanks! I actually haven't tried the exterminator route yet

Stoze

New escalation is up in Marrakesh. I never knew that the waiter disguise doesn't count as trespassing in the school, even though most people are still suspicious of you. Played the first two parts and then stopped when I saw the third part added laser tripwires.

robotrock

Banned
I'm just getting into this now, really loving it. Feeling bad about missing out on playing the episodes as they released, but I'll be there for Season 2.

Just got to Hokkaido. it sure is intimidating at first

I still have to play Colorado and Hokkaido, but I'd probably go:

1. Sapienza
2. Marrakesh
3. Paris
4. Bangkok

I feel I liked the Marrakesh map more than most did. Because the two targets aren't in close proximity, I felt more encouraged to be creative and experiment with everything else in between. There's so many moving parts, it's really impressive.

Bangkok hasn't quite grabbed me in the same way as the others, but it's still really good.

Stoze

At close to 150 hours played, here's my quick rankings for the main 6 missions:

1. Sapienza
2. Hokkaido
3. Paris
4. Marrakesh
5. Colorado (if playing in contracts mode with the same 4 targets I'd move it up to around number 3 or switch it with Marrakesh)
6. Bangkok

I might make a longer post later that goes into why I'd rank them like that + the bonus missions and tutorial levels which are still worthy of rating/discussion despite their size.

None of them are bad levels imo, even if I don't see myself replaying Bangkok much anymore I think it's still well designed. Sapienza and Hokkaido are simply phenomenal levels.

New escalation is up in Marrakesh. I never knew that the waiter disguise doesn't count as trespassing in the school, even though most people are still suspicious of you. Played the first two parts and then stopped when I saw the third part added laser tripwires.

I also just found out about the waiter thing.

I assume waiters have clearance so that the
food delivery
kill would make sense, but the whole implementation (the security checkpoints are trespassing, the rest of the school is not) really doesn't make sense since it's obviously still not meant to let the player just walk in.

The tripwires don't seem too bad this time around - just figure out a way upstairs and you're set. I still inevitably get blown up, because I always forget partway while figuring out the route. Always.

Stoze

I also just found out about the waiter thing.

I assume waiters have clearance so that the
food delivery
kill would make sense, but the whole implementation (the security checkpoints are trespassing, the rest of the school is not) really doesn't make sense since it's obviously still not meant to let the player just walk in.

The tripwires don't seem too bad this time around - just figure out a way upstairs and you're set. I still inevitably get blown up, because I always forget partway while figuring out the route. Always.

It makes me think that assassination was originally going to be you
bringing the plate to Zaydan disguised as a waiter
but it got scrapped for whatever reason. Also now that I think about it that might be the most well hidden non-redacted assassination challenge, I had no clue how to do it.

And yeah I jumped back in and it's not that bad. I mean, it is bad because they're everywhere, but the school has enough traversal options that it didn't make it much more challenging. I still have to use instinct constantly which is annoying and my main complaint about those things.

Brannon

Finally installed the game and just the tutorial missions alone are solid. If the game does get better, then I can't believe I held off on buying it for this long.

Crap. Next escalation is in Colorado and I haven't even been there yet. Over 40 hours in the game and still haven't touched two whole stages.

Guess I better get cracking.

MaKTaiL

Finally installed the game and just the tutorial missions alone are solid. If the game does get better, then I can't believe I held off on buying it for this long.
When I played the tutorial missions back on the beta I knew this game was going to be special. I pre ordered at the time and didn't regret :)

Stoze

Finished the escalation, it wasn't too hard and I thought it was kind of fun.
Not a fan of the tripwires, but the general officer makes a great target and I like that they drop the waiter disguise after two runs.

Might try to SA it just for kicks since I got pretty close. edit: I wasn't as close as I thought lol

Unkle

I've had a look around and can only find one Reddit thread about this particular issue so here goes:

I'm trying to use a DualShock 4 (I've tested two) to play the game but upon gaining control on the helipad (prologue) the camera's acting funny. It drags upwards without any input into a sort of overhead, isometric view. I can drag it back forcibly but it just happens again or just goes generally wayward making it unplayable.

Anyone had this before? I'd love to be able to use a controller on this. :/

Thorgal

I've had a look around and can only find one Reddit thread about this particular issue so here goes:

I'm trying to use a DualShock 4 (I've tested two) to play the game but upon gaining control on the helipad (prologue) the camera's acting funny. It drags upwards without any input into a sort of overhead, isometric view. I can drag it back forcibly but it just happens again or just goes generally wayward making it unplayable.

i had this problem a few times on my Xone Controller on my PC.

What fixed it for me was simply to pull the cord out of the controller and put it back in .

Unkle

i had this problem a few times on my Xone Controller on my PC.

What fixed it for me was simply to pull the cord out of the controller and put it back in .

I tried. :/ Four different ports, too. I'll keep looking for a solution cos I really want to play. :D

Thanks for the reply, though!

BigAT

I play using DS4 (using DS4Windows) and I've never had that issue. I was going to say it sounds like the stick was accidentally pushed in a direction when you plugged it in and that was set as the default state, but since you've tried different controllers I can't imagine that being the case.

MUnited83

For you.
I play using DS4 (using DS4Windows) and I've never had that issue. I was going to say it sounds like the stick was accidentally pushed in a direction when you plugged it in and that was set as the default state, but since you've tried different controllers I can't imagine that being the case.
There is no need for DS4Windows. Game has native DS4 support :p

Time to update the list again since the last update was so late.

All difficulty ratings are based on escalation level 5 (sometimes level 4, because Wild Card sometimes makes level 5 easier). Also, short descriptions as a reminder of what each one was about.

Very easy: can be brute-forced with no pressure and no real risk of failure.
- The Osterman Mosaic (The Showstopper) - saber and lasers
- The Marsden Isotopy (The Showstopper) - shotgun bartenders
- The Ezekiel Paradox (The Showstopper) - waiter explosion
- The Sigma Illusion (World of Tomorrow) - chef and laptop
- The Szilassi Darkness (World of Tomorrow) - sniper headshots
- The Scorpio Directive (World of Tomorrow) - Sapienza lasers

Easy: can be mostly brute-forced but there is some pressure and you can fail if you don't know what you're doing.
- The Snorrason Ascension (The Final Test) - colonel and soldier
- The Einarsson Inception (Guided Training) - Norfolk and guard
- The Mandelbulb Requiem (The Showstopper) - laptop and lasers
- The Granville Curiosity (The Showstopper) - toilet puzzle
- The Hexagon Protocol (The Showstopper) - garden landmines
- The Videl Cataclysm (The Showstopper) - hot disguise
- The Apeiron Sadness (World of Tomorrow) - triple explosions
- The Selmone Mimesis (World of Tomorrow) - wine cellar kills

Average: requires moderate setup or tricky steps or execution, but no real risk of failure once you know what you're doing.
- The Holmwood Disturbance (The Showstopper) - vampire magician
- The Gemini Fiasco (The Showstopper) - Kruger and Sato
- The Shapiro Omen (The Showstopper) - body hiding puzzle
- The Perkins Disarray* (The Showstopper) - auction sabotage (hard if you want silent assassin)
- The Teague Temptation (The Showstopper) - balcony push
- The Scarlatti Covenant (World of Tomorrow) - three minutes
- The Andersen Animosity* (World of Tomorrow) - saber, PI, psychologist (hard if you want silent assassin)
- The Kilie Agitation (A Gilded Cage) - shisha cafe kills
- The Sokoloff Sophistication (A Gilded Cage) - shoe shop kills
- The Varvara Mystification (A Gilded Cage) - school lasers
- The Ataro Caliginosity (A House Built on Sand) - fortune teller and bodyguards
- The Caden Composition (Club 27) - recording studio kills

Hard: requires heavy setup, difficult steps or high-level execution, and/or you can fail even if you know what you're doing.
- The Kerner Disquiet (The Showstopper) - loud weapons
- The Seeger Beguilement (The Showstopper) - cameraman accidents
- The Gladwyn Simulacrum (World of Tomorrow) - rapid elimination streak
- The Eccleston Illumination (World of Tomorrow) - plague katana
- The Lyndon Gyration (World of Tomorrow) - accidents in alleyways
- The Agana Abyss (The Icon) - shotguns or explosions
- The Ignatiev Integrity (A Gilded Cage) - fire, safe, shotgun
- The Lupei Sensitivity* (A Gilded Cage) - masseur and laptop (very hard if you want silent assassin)
- The Reziko Conundrum (A Gilded Cage) - shopkeeper, repairmen, landmines
- The Somsak Equation (Club 27) - bodies in freezer

Very hard: there is no trick to these, there is a high risk of failure, and it all comes down to your skills.
- The Kotti Paradigm (The Showstopper) - battle axe, suit only
- The Mallory Misfortune (Freedom Fighters) - deadly stalker
- The Meiko Incarnation (Situs Inversus) - ninja style cascade

Bullshit: even with perfect skills and execution, high risk of failure or tedium due to factors outside your control.
- The Wetzel Determination (The Showstopper) - impossible body hiding
- The Adamoli Fascination (The Showstopper) - mined exits

*All escalations marked with * use a particular kind of complication: there are mandatory disguises that can normally only be taken from NPCs, but you are not allowed to knock anyone out. You have only two choices in any of these escalations: kill NPCs for disguises and receive a penalty, or find the extra copy of the required disguise(s) hidden somewhere in the level just for this escalation. Be warned that the second option will always require very risky maneuvers and/or massive detours, making silent assassin runs of these escalations extra-hard.

Feel free to suggest adjustments - I haven't played some of these in a while, and I always go for silent assassin (but I'm trying to do these ratings for people who don't necessarily care about that).

Finished the escalation, it wasn't too hard and I thought it was kind of fun.
Not a fan of the tripwires, but the general officer makes a great target and I like that they drop the waiter disguise after two runs.

Might try to SA it just for kicks since I got pretty close. edit: I wasn't as close as I thought lol

I did my SA run in just under 6 minutes.
Start as soldier with breaching charges; get the saber from the shoe shop; swap for a rifle; drop the rifle as close to the printing press as possible to distract the soldier on the phone (and make him walk further to pick it up); get the saber back and kill the downstairs target in the printing press room using a breaching charge distraction, and dump him; kill the upstairs target in a stairwell using a breaching charge distraction.

I actually liked the very convoluted route forced by the lasers where you have to
go through the central courtyard, climb up through a hole, then climb out a window and back in
just to get upstairs.

If you can somehow get the saber from Zaydan's office that would save a lot of time, but today I watched a speedrunner presumably trying to do that while constantly bitterly complaining about not being able to reproduce his own route. I decided to go a bit slower and actually have fun doing it.

Stoze

I did my SA run in just under 6 minutes.
Start as soldier with breaching charges; get the saber from the shoe shop; swap for a rifle; drop the rifle as close to the printing press as possible to distract the soldier on the phone (and make him walk further to pick it up); get the saber back and kill the downstairs target in the printing press room using a breaching charge distraction, and dump him; kill the upstairs target in a stairwell using a breaching charge distraction.

I actually liked the very convoluted route forced by the lasers where you have to
go through the central courtyard, climb up through a hole, then climb out a window and back in
just to get upstairs.

If you can somehow get the saber from Zaydan's office that would save a lot of time, but today I watched a speedrunner presumably trying to do that while constantly bitterly complaining about not being able to reproduce his own route. I decided to go a bit slower and actually have fun doing it.

When you say breaching charge distraction do you mean having them pick it up and kill them on route to the weapon box? Nice job, my method I was doing before giving up was way different. I found a reliable way to get the saber in the school:

On the bottom floor run to the base of the stairwell that's blocked with stuff. Wait for people to pass and then chuck a noisemaker up on the starwell and activate it so the general officer guarding Zaydan's office gets it. Then immediately go up and grab saber from left side. Go to the outdoor area and chuck a coin in a alcove just in front of the APC that no one can see, stab him with saber. Then I go up and drop weapons or charges in the corners of the room with the other target, flip the breaker switch so both soldiers get up, get the weapons, and leave for a bit. Stab the officer target and drag him a bit behind a desk, grab the keys, jump out the far window in that room and then gtfo before the soldiers come back.

The last part is risky and where I messed up on, but I think it's doable.

The Food Critic is my first elusive target but is it bugged? He doesn't show up as red when I use the vision and I pretty much walked up to him at the restaurant and there's no prompts or anything.

JambiBum

How do you get the duck proximity mine? I saw it in that video but not sure how to unlock it.

For the food critic, I just waited until he went into the kitchen and chucked a knife from the storage room into his skull while he was berating the chef. I was going to do something fancy but decided that was all he deserved.

Top Bottom