• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

Having opportunities set to minimum is probably the best bet when starting out. You can at least learn of an opportunity and know the steps necessary, but not specifically where each step is, and you can just select "stop tracking" in the opportunity list if you don't want the hints. It also lets you know when a certain opportunity is past/lost, and it hints how that happened.

Opportunities off is pretty good too, but mostly once you're familiar with how the game works.

SL128

The only reason I recommend having opportunity hints on minimal is that sometimes there's an obscure step which doesn't seem intuitive. For two Caruso opportunities, you need to talk to his butler instead of him first, even though they both involve directly speaking to him.

KingKong

The only reason I recommend having opportunity hints on minimal is that sometimes there's an obscure step which doesn't seem intuitive. For two Caruso opportunities, you need to talk to his butler instead of him first, even though they both involve directly speaking to him.

not sure which opportunities you mean but for the flower guy it makes perfect sense to talk to the butler first. Do you have to talk to the butler as a shrink too? I can't remember

I think having them on for the intro/training mission and maybe a few runs of Paris. After that, I turned it to off and haven't looked back.

Sorry if there have been questions about this before but was the Holiday Hoarders the last piece of bonus dlc? Because wasn't this just free for all owners of the game?

Food Critic was really easy.

Went as the waiter (seems to be the only disguise he can't see through and in which you are allowed to go near him). I distracted the guard by simply dropping my weapon in the corner. He left the scene. Then I threw a coin near the railing. Mr. Critic went up there and I pushed him. Accident kill. SA

ArjanN

Having opportunities set to minimum is probably the best bet when starting out. You can at least learn of an opportunity and know the steps necessary, but not specifically where each step is, and you can just select "stop tracking" in the opportunity list if you don't want the hints. It also lets you know when a certain opportunity is past/lost, and it hints how that happened.

Opportunities off is pretty good too, but mostly once you're familiar with how the game works.

Personally I wouldn't give someone starting out the advice to turn the opportunities off, sure, they'd be too much in a linear one and done game but the whole point is to replay levels and just following an opportunity makes for a good introduction to a level.

MUnited83

For you.
Target Tag #4 is up

052D2AF4EAAADF201716565B5A844FB41F0E275F

Post your run at http://www.hitmanforum.com/t/target-tag-47-hours-to-hitem-with-style/13332/135 if you'd like to participate. Target Tag is a community created competition, in which you are tasked with eliminating a target in the most entertaining or amusing way you can think of. Rating, time or score are irrelevant.

Eridani

Personally I wouldn't give someone starting out the advice to turn the opportunities off, sure, they'd be too much in a linear one and done game but the whole point is to replay levels and just following an opportunity makes for a good introduction to a level.

I just recently got the game (finished the story mode so far) and turned opportunities off after the tutorial. Having an objective marker in such an open ended game just felt wrong to me. It was fun discovering them by myself by walking around and listening to conversations. It felt really good when I actually managed to complete some of them, and it probably wouldn't feel as good if I was just following a checklist visible in the UI. I'm sure I missed quite a lot of them, but that just means I've still got a lot to discover, which is great.

It's funny really, because the previous Hitman games always felt much too obtuse in this area. I felt like the conversations and the intel screen by themselves were enough to perfectly solve this. I do actually appreciate the opportunity system though, since it really shows off what's so great about the game. I just immediately knew I personally didn't want to use it.

Dammit, fucked up SA on The Critic.

Had him alone, thought I had the syringe equipped...I didn't

47 socks him the face, I said fuck it and snapped his neck. Weaved through security and got on the boat.

Still need 4 SA for that damn coat.

Holy crap that elusive target was intense. I did the strat a lot of people here did,
fire extinguisher + breaching charge behind the chair, make the bodyguard leave by coin + dropping gun (before placing the charge of course)

I messed up though and went to the exit in the basement with the camera overlooking it... so I had to go back in and destroy the evidence. Went looking for a security guard where I thought there was one but he wasn't there (or I wasn't at the spot I was thinking of, not sure), but stumbled upon a security guard dragging the ET body bag to the basement. Followed him to where he dropped it off, was about to choke him out but thankfully looked around first and saw a security guard patrolling into the room at the same time. So I coined him, disposed of him in the box, got my outfit. Grabbed the master keycard from the basement and then got up to the security room.

I had just done the normal mission SA (working on Mastery, just got to 13 in Bangkok), and during that I destroyed the evidence... very glad I did this because otherwise I would have been screwed. One of the three guards in the room will suspect you but I noticed that he patrolled from the evidence machine to another pc and then to another pc before going back to the evidence. Slipped in right as he was leaving the evidence machine, sabotaged it and slipped back out.

Salvaged the SA and man it felt good haha. Nothing like making extra work and adding possibly failure for yourself though!! This game is so good :)

Dammit, fucked up SA on The Critic.

Had him alone, thought I had the syringe equipped...I didn't

47 socks him the face, I said fuck it and snapped his neck. Weaved through security and got on the boat.

Still need 4 SA for that damn coat.

Aw man, that sucks. I did the same thing with the syringe on the celebrity chef.. didn't get out of that one though (and didn't even manage to kill him because i missed the snap neck prompt lol).

I could have restarted but I was getting annoyed, so I took the suit with gloves award and moved on.

Not a loss but not a SA.

This game is making me feel bad when I don't get SA on these. I could have 3 done but I've botched two hard lol.

I still need the Santa suit too.

Skyzard

Banned
Picked this up the other day after watching a lot on Giant Bomb. Great game. Stayed on Paris and got lvl 20 mastery but not finished everything yet. I was hoping to unlock more suits but it turns out that's tied to elusive target completions. I'm guessing they'll have more than 5 (required to get the suit) more. They've had more than one on the same map right?

I also set opportunities to minimal...it was too distracting and directed with it set to full. Might turn it on later to finish things off but for now it's much less annoying on minimal.

Are there any advantages (other than just for the sake of it) to doing other non-elusive target challenges once you've got full mastery? No other unlocks to get?

Picked this up the other day after watching a lot on Giant Bomb. Great game. Stayed on Paris and got lvl 20 mastery but not finished everything yet. I was hoping to unlock more suits but it turns out that's tied to elusive target completions. I'm guessing they'll have more than 5 (required to get the suit) more. They've had more than one on the same map right?

I also set opportunities to minimal...it was too distracting and directed with it set to full. Might turn it on later to finish things off but for now it's much less annoying on minimal.

Are there any advantages (other than just for the sake of it) to doing other non-elusive target challenges once you've got full mastery? No other unlocks to get?

We've had 7 Paris, 5 Sapienza, 3 Marrakesh, and 2 Bangkok elusive targets. There will definitely be more than 5 more, and we haven't even had any for the last two locations yet.

There are unlockable items tied to doing most of the special challenge packs: Master Sniper, Master Fortune Teller, Himmapan Horror, and Secret Santa. There are also unlocks for doing enough opportunities and challenges in the night versions of Sapienza and Marrakesh. Other than that... there are a few challenges that unlock starting locations and particular achievements, and one that unlocks a coin reskin.

And at the very least it's worth doing all the assassination challenges (some of the best kills in the game are not part of any opportunities) and most of the [REDACTED] challenges (many of which are easter eggs that you will never find on your own).

packy34

Food Critic was really easy.

Went as the waiter (seems to be the only disguise he can't see through and in which you are allowed to go near him). I distracted the guard by simply dropping my weapon in the corner. He left the scene. Then I threw a coin near the railing. Mr. Critic went up there and I pushed him. Accident kill. SA

He can't see through hotel security either. This is one of the easier elusive targets if you bring the right gear.

Skyzard

Banned
We've had 7 Paris, 5 Sapienza, 3 Marrakesh, and 2 Bangkok elusive targets. There will definitely be more than 5 more, and we haven't even had any for the last two locations yet.

There are unlockable items tied to doing most of the special challenge packs: Master Sniper, Master Fortune Teller, Himmapan Horror, and Secret Santa. There are also unlocks for doing enough opportunities and challenges in the night versions of Sapienza and Marrakesh. Other than that... there are a few challenges that unlock starting locations and particular achievements, and one that unlocks a coin reskin.

And at the very least it's worth doing all the assassination challenges (some of the best kills in the game are not part of any opportunities) and most of the [REDACTED] challenges (many of which are easter eggs that you will never find on your own).

Awesome, thanks a lot!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
This game is A+ Wow, what a surprise.

It's fascinating finding all the different ways to go about it, and I LOVE the Groundhog Day aspect of it. The dev team absolutely nailed it. I remember reading about it and thinking 6 levels didn't sound like a lot but they are so packed with content.

I know I'm not saying anything new, but it's just so good.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I sat there waiting for the critic to do anything for like two minutes and he didn't and I assumed he wouldn't so I just tossed a remote explosive in his face and ran the fuck out

I'm late to this elusive, but I'm trying to come up with a non-explosive SA strategy. Did anyone else notice that a body container was added to the little nook behind the restaurant downstairs bar (exactly where the target passes through to get to the kitchen)? That's not there in the normal version of Bangkok.

Has anyone been daring enough to try to use that added container...?

Can you wear any suit for Suit Only challenges? Or does it have to be the signature suit without gloves?

Any suit is fine, including all the default ones for each level and all the unlockable ones.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I'm late to this elusive, but I'm trying to come up with a non-explosive SA strategy.

I'm doing the same as a bit of a challange but I've been spotted through the wall twice now and I'm getting fed up. I'll probably end up just shooting him at this rate.

Drazgul

Not sure how I feel about the one-off nature of the elusive targets as a latecomer. It's cool that early adopters get something, but tbh it pisses me off I'll never get to assassinate Gary Busey.

Plus who's to say if they'll even release enough ETs now for me to still be able to unlock all the ET rewards.

Not sure how I feel about the one-off nature of the elusive targets as a latecomer. It's cool that early adopters get something, but tbh it pisses me off I'll never get to assassinate Gary Busey.

Plus who's to say if they'll even release enough ETs now for me to still be able to unlock all the ET rewards.
The ET rewards are all useless anyways. The only thing you should play ET for are for the pressure of having to execute a perfect assassination. That's what makes them special.

Plus, Season 2 will keep all unlocks... maybe consider getting in early next season.

They definitely fucked around people who were purchasing every episode separately earlier in the year though.

I'm doing the same as a bit of a challange but I've been spotted through the wall twice now and I'm getting fed up. I'll probably end up just shooting him at this rate.

I had a feeling SA wasn't going to work out for this one.

I planted two breaching charges in his booth while he was downstairs, which got two guards to leave once the whole entourage came back up. Then I threw a coconut behind him to make him stand up so I could inject him, but the waiter just happened to come by... and I managed to wait until the waiter was starting to leave before making the injection, but got seen by the waiter anyway.

Managed to run all the way to the boat without being fired upon.

Even as I pressed the injection button I saw that the push prompt was also available for a split second. I will never know if the push would have avoided attracting attention!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Still no way to play the bonus stuff. :(

(I already paid more for this than most other people, and I'd pay more! But I can't. Dumb.)

Drazgul

The ET rewards are all useless anyways. The only thing you should play ET for are for the pressure of having to execute a perfect assassination. That's what makes them special.

I just want the classic gloved suit, which sadly happens to be the very last reward afaik. Does it matter which rating you get for them? I don't have a whole lot of time to play right now so I won't have much time to unlock any weapons or such before ET #17 expires - gonna have to make do with the starter gear and hope for the best.

Big fan of the series but I kinda always preferred it when things go awry and there's plenty of collateral damage over perfectly executed SA kills, so I might just go there and shoot that critic (and anyone else who wants to start shit) in the face.

MUnited83

For you.
I just want the classic gloved suit, which sadly happens to be the very last reward afaik. Does it matter which rating you get for them? I don't have a whole lot of time to play right now so I won't have much time to unlock any weapons or such before ET #17 expires - gonna have to make do with the starter gear and hope for the best.

Big fan of the series but I kinda always preferred it when things go awry and there's plenty of collateral damage over perfectly executed SA kills, so I might just go there and shoot that critic (and anyone else who wants to start shit) in the face.

So far there's only two rewards that require having Silent Assassin rating. Signature Suit with Gloves for one SA in elusive targets, Winter coat suit for 5 SA in elusive targets.
All the other suits are rewarded in completion of the targets, no matter the rating.

Murkas

So far there's only two rewards that require having Silent Assassin rating. Signature Suit with Gloves for one SA in elusive targets, Winter coat suit for 5 SA in elusive targets.
All the other suits are rewarded in completion of the targets, no matter the rating.

Signature suit with gloves is 13 elusive targets I think. (Absolution suit is 5, Blood Money is 8)

1 SA elusive target is that torn up terminus suit.

The issue with the Critic was his route was really tedious. ETs need to have more variety in their paths. I mean the awards are mostly cosmetic but I do love successfully completing my contract but I more and more shoot for SA. I almost thought I pulled it off but apparently I got seen. But it said unnoticed kill...so idk.

Colorado is gonna be the hardest to do Elusives on.

Also guys, it helps to have Level 20 on all levels before attempting elusives (For newer adapters of the game), You'll have a lot more control over the situation.

Stoze

I might be in the minority but I liked that ET. Despite the simplicity of it, it's the first one that truly brought me out of my comfort zone from the get go since I go for SA on all of these. Granted this is only the 4th one I've done, but the past 3 all had pretty safe guaranteed scripted assassinations if you examined their loops (Marrakesh lady was pretty tricky but the safe kill was still there). Those are fun, but the tension typically doesn't come in until the target's dead.

This one on the other hand forced me to think a little outside the box and put my knowledge of the systems to the test. Every method I thought of had some amount of risk associated it with it, whether it be
maneuvering a guard away with a weapon and luring him over to the edge with a coin to hopefully push him off without incident, or doing a breach charge + fire extinguisher kill and hoping the blast radius doesn't hit the guard and enforcer nearby.
I wouldn't want every one to be as limited in the scripting as that, but I thought it worked well as a palette cleanser.

BigAT

Man, the Lupei Sensitivity forces you to be a real monster. At some point you're not allowed to pacify anyone, so I went on a vicious murder spree throughout the consulate.

I was driven to my wit's end with the Food Critic, but that's why I appreciated it more when all was said and done (even after failing SA). You have a bunch of "almost" options for SA, none of these options are just lined up for you, and it's not clear how to get the last piece of the puzzle in place. You have to work for it, and you have to own it if it doesn't work out.

Man, the Lupei Sensitivity forces you to be a real monster. At some point you're not allowed to pacify anyone, so I went on a vicious murder spree throughout the consulate.

I went for the silent assassin route, which is only recommended if you are willing to drive yourself to complete madness.

You have to get a second copy of the masseur disguise hidden in the level, which requires you to infiltrate
the underground tunnel, change disguise in the little square room in the middle,
then get out into the consulate without knocking anyone out.

Stoze

I was driven to my wit's end with the Food Critic, but that's why I appreciated it more when all was said and done (even after failing SA). You have a bunch of "almost" options for SA, none of these options are just lined up for you, and it's not clear how to get the last piece of the puzzle in place. You have to work for it, and you have to own it if it doesn't work out.
Yep, that's exactly why I enjoyed it.
You have to get a second copy of the masseur disguise hidden in the level, which requires you to infiltrate
the underground tunnel, change disguise in the little square room in the middle,
Say whaaat. Gonna have to check this out. That still doesn't remedy the hardest part of it for me though which is hacking the laptop without people freaking out.

Also I'm an idiot, I did 4/5 parts and a long painful attempt of the 5th part of The Meiko Incarnation without having loadouts unlocked because I was level 18 and didn't look at the mastery rewards. I also failed because I didn't realize you had to kill the director in a ninja/motorcycle suit as well, it doesn't tell you that until you trigger the safe (booo).

BigAT

I went for the silent assassin route, which is only recommended if you are willing to drive yourself to complete madness.

Hah, I didn't even know a second masseur disguise existed in that level.

Top Bottom