• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

Double D

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I'm just wondering which platform to get this on. I'd rather get this on Steam, but would go with the PS4 if the exclusive stuff is worth it.

I love the music that plays just after you press the button and turn in a mission. It always gets cut off though. I want to hear the whole thing.

I reckon so.

Obviously it has less features than BM (no accidents) but it was basically the distillation of the formula which BM built on (and arguably surpassed). It has none of the flab of - and slightly more predictable AI - than H2:SA. It has way more atmosphere and a better difficulty curve than BM. Not that I dislike those games, not one jot, but it occupies a great middle ground, I think. It has some of the absolute best levels in the series (Meat King's Party, Hunter and Hunted, Beldingford (?) Manor), including a number of reworked ones from C:47 (Traditions of the Trade, The Seafood Massacre, The Lee Hong Assassination). Good shit!

It's only a couple of quid on Steam, I believe. Give it a shot.

I'd agree with all of that. H2:SA was a bit of a slog (the first mission at the Italian mansion and the cocktail party were highlights for me), and had super finicky AI. Contracts, while not perfect, definitely upgrades that a bit. I'd agree with your levels (Beldingford Manor and Meat King were highlights), and I loved being able to play some of the C:47 missions (still haven't been able to play it). Traditions of the Trade might be my all time favorite Hitman mission, especially for some of the more er..."spooky" easter eggs you can find.

Deadstar

Any game that is always online should tell customers when there will be downtime. It should be scheduled and planned so that people can plan accordingly.

Regarding contact mode, they absolutely need to create a "mandatory" option so that you need to use a specific uniform or use a specific weapon to perform the kill correctly and get credit for it.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I hope you are happy with the crowds of people shouting bloody murder over the always-on connection; I'm sure it REALLY helped to sell the game and ensured we will have another Hitman game after this one.

Oh, yeah. I'm ecstatic; fucking grinning from ear to ear, me. I couldn't be happier about only being able to play online for a few minutes at a time and having a ton of content locked behind an impenetrable online wall. Christ, I cracked open the fucking Dom Periongne when I found out I could only complete two runs on the Freeform training mission over the last three or four days without getting booted; the Freeform training mission I'd already played to death during the beta.

Dancing, me. Woo.

Don't be a dunce. :D

I want it to do well. That doesn't mean I think it is.

KingKong

I still love C47 even though its nigh unplayable today. Its always fun to check out games before they standardized the controls though, like having w for run and s for walk

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Side note: Anyone know what the new small red circle on the bottom right of the screen during a mission is? Didn't notice it before the patch.

I noticed that on the xbox version which hasn't had the patch yet. I don't know what it means. I thought it was saving but when it saves it does that in the top right.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'd agree with all of that. H2:SA was a bit of a slog (the first mission at the Italian mansion and the cocktail party were highlights for me), and had super finicky AI. Contracts, while not perfect, definitely upgrades that a bit. I'd agree with your levels (Beldingford Manor and Meat King were highlights), and I loved being able to play some of the C:47 missions (still haven't been able to play it). Traditions of the Trade might be my all time favorite Hitman mission, especially for some of the more er..."spooky" easter eggs you can find.

Oh, yeah. They were awesome. Also: MINI-GUN.

C:47 was my first. Be thankful you don't have to go through those fucking Jungle missions!

Oh, yeah. They were awesome. Also: MINI-GUN.

C:47 was my first. Be thankful you don't have to go through those fucking Jungle missions!

I have heard horror stories. Was it due to shoddy AI, or overall bad design?

It's been there on PC ever since I started playing. I assume it's indicating times when you can't manually save.

Yep, I just checked my menu, and can't save. So I guess it's that (I'm doing a Contract in Paris, btw).

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I'm just wondering which platform to get this on. I'd rather get this on Steam, but would go with the PS4 if the exclusive stuff is worth it.
I'd get the PC version. Loading a savegame on consoles takes over a minute I read, while PC is much quicker. With a game like Hitman I sometimes reload a dozen times to get things right, so that adds up. Also seems the PC version has less connect issues at the moment I think.

Anyone here know if there is a schedule for those escalations? Are we getting one every week on a set day or is that random? Just finished the current one, pretty cool idea.

I've seen other reports of the game failing to authorize on the first computer after using game sharing / installing on multiple computers.

Sigh.... but that nonsense shouldn't happen. Game sharing is allowed. But I guess in this case it seemed to be offline for everybody. IO really needs to make drastic changes to this.

Foffy

Banned
I'd get the PC version. Loading a savegame on consoles takes over a minute I read, while PC is much quicker. With a game like Hitman I sometimes reload a dozen times to get things right, so that adds up. Also seems the PC version has less connect issues at the moment I think.

Anyone here know if there is a schedule for those escalations? Are we getting one every week on a set day or is that random? Just finished the current one, pretty cool idea.

We're getting one this week, according to the community manager.

thenexus6

I love the music that plays just after you press the button and turn in a mission. It always gets cut off though. I want to hear the whole thing.

Yeah that and the one that plays while the Paris missions loads and you're getting briefed on the targets.

I hope the soundtrack will be available to buy sometime soon.

We're getting one this week, according to the community manager.
Thanks. Hope they'll get some schedule going, releasing a new escalation every Friday or so. Would keep me coming back and checking in instead of forgetting about it.

And according to Steam I put 16 hours in this game in 4 days now. That's pretty good for € 15 spent. Can't wait for the next one already.

dreamfall

I've played about 3ish hours on PC. I will say that I haven't had nearly the same amount of sever disconnect that (I assume) most console players are experiencing. On PC, I've disconnected twice mid-mission which was frustrating but nothing like what others are describing. What platform are y'all playing on? The Load times on PC are much quicker than that on the PS4, after playing the beta extensively on both.

Paris has been incredible. The game really feels like Blood Money on a much grander scale. I'm loving it!

shoreu

It has the sandbox gameplay of Blood Money, but doesn't come close to the soundtrack, atmosphere etc. It feels kinda soulless.

But if you only care about the sandbox Hitman gameplay then you can't go wrong.

What do you mean by this? What is it lacking or is it too soon to tell?

Weren't we suppose to get a theme with our preorder? My PS4 never downloaded anything, unless it came in an email and I missed it?
The theme started automatically downloading for me at the same time as the game.

I've played about 3ish hours on PC. I will say that I haven't had nearly the same amount of sever disconnect that (I assume) most console players are experiencing. On PC, I've disconnected twice mid-mission which was frustrating but nothing like what others are describing. What platform are y'all playing on? The Load times on PC are much quicker than that on the PS4, after playing the beta extensively on both.
On PS4 I've only had one mid-match disconnect, which sadly happened right as I was about to finish an escalation (which has saves disabled).

In terms of load times, the beta level (ICA Facility) is almost instantaneous, it's only Paris that takes some time to load. I'm on an SSHD FWIW.

Foffy

Banned
Escalations? Fine. If they start releasing Elusive Targets (real-time sensitive missions with potentially unique rewards) before they fix the server issues, I will be flipping tables.

Well, we are getting the first ET either this week or the start of the next.

Maybe the servers will still be so bad then that they realize they have to change something major about it.

Pachimari

Were the patch notes posted?:

HITMAN 1.02 Release Notes
(1.02 is currently only available on PS4)

- Deployed server fixes to improve connection reliability
- Multiple improvements to the flow of ‘opportunities’ in Paris and Prologue.
- Improved AI reactions to ‘suspicious’ actions.
- Minor tweaks to cover and trespassing zones.
- Minor tweaks to challenge unlocks and descriptions.
- Other general improvements

Known issue: Requiem Pack items are no longer available for some players after updating to 1.02. This is not intended and we are investigating how to fix this and get the items back to those affected as soon as possible.

The thing I'm most positively surprised by is the incidental dialog. Don't know that I've heard a repeated line yet. Some of it is quite funny too. Wish I'd known how to record when some guy gave this ridiculous description to a guard after he'd seen me strangle some dude. But in lieu of that, I suppose I'll show our new ruler, the Sheik. It's just a reference, but you know, is coo. Also that's one of my favorite things to do in this game. It is quite dumb.

One way of getting the sheik outfit that I accidentally discovered.

Tabbed back to Hitman and it had disconnected me again lol lol

Moff

Is the Challenge where you have to snap Dalia's neck glitched? I did exactly that and it didn't pop for me.

lots of challenges are glitched
sometimes it works after you restart the game, sometimes you need to to it all over again
happened to me on 3 challenges so far and maybe others I didn't even notice

lots of challenges are glitched
sometimes it works after you restart the game, sometimes you need to to it all over again
happened to me on 3 challenges so far and maybe others I didn't even notice

Lame, alright, thanks for the heads up though. Frustrating when you're challenge hunting through the level and have to do it ALL over again.

AWESOME "story" spoiler though:

Hailee,
the one the two women were talking about having been caught is undercover as Dalia's assistant and escapes with an undercover CICADA agent once you fuck the auction up through Dalia's laptop.

SO cool.

Najaf

So is the only way to level up by completing challenges? I played through a Contract and got a better ranking than before, but gained zero experience. I guess that's so you can't just grind ranks by quickly beating a mission over and over?

Foffy

Banned
Here's hoping the game gives me back the Sato thing I did before. I had it unlocked, but it's not the only Feat the game considers not finished.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Seems that the briefcase was in the Alpha but IO removed it from the final game for some reason. Why on earth would they remove such a basic feature and limit the sniping gameplay so much?

ThoughtfulVastImperialeagle.gif
]

Tuffty

For me I was immediately invested into the series from Hitman 2 during the St.Petersburg levels. The atmosphere and music was fantastic and the way I was able to work the assassination so I could snipe one target and have the other try to escape in his car only to realise I had previously planted a bomb on it so it exploded. Took me a while to get that, but it was so satisfying to pull off! What I really like about the concept of Hitman is that not only do you have to plan how to kill your target, but also construct an escape plan as well. I'm not perfect at it, but it's very satisfying.

Really enjoying this one, just messing about with contracts at the minute, really exploring the level in detail. Fingers crossed that the future locations are just as detailed.

pahamrick

Seems that the briefcase was in the Alpha but IO removed it from the final game for some reason. Why on earth would they remove such a basic feature and limit the sniping gameplay so much?

]

Probably so they have something to unlock via mastery for another stage. I refuse to believe they cut the briefcase completely.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
lmaooooo

In paris they just shove all the bodies in this small closet.

Eventually they just went 'fuck it' and left one blocking the door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmaTLflPgFw

I actually ended up going on a random rampage, recovered and finished the level pretty well afterwards. But man going around with a melee weapon is still hilariously fun. I wish I didn't stop the recording when I did since the guard talking right when it ended actually said
"yeah, be on the lookout. He's dressed...uh...like a...vampire?"
I love the amount of dialog relative to all the outfits.

PowderedToast

]
It could be a balance issue. There is a risk/reward to moving around with the sniper because it's so visible. It also reinforces the significance of the dropoff locations.

Jintor

Well, I hope you are happy with the crowds of people shouting bloody murder over the always-on connection; I'm sure it REALLY helped to sell the game and ensured we will have another Hitman game after this one.

Fans shouldn't be blind consumers. They should be critical ones.

MaKTaiL

AWESOME "story" spoiler though:

Hailee,
the one the two women were talking about having been caught is undercover as Dalia's assistant and escapes with an undercover CICADA agent once you fuck the auction up through Dalia's laptop.

SO cool.
I have a feeling
they will both show up as "easter eggs" in all the upcoming episodes. 47 will keep messing up with their plans and they will have to flee.

Top Bottom