• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

Trouble

Banned
pretty sure it doesn't? the guards come check on her after like 10 seconds no matter which way you kill her (or even knock her out)

I guess I got lucky or had good timing, because I garotted her and dragged her to the closet and no one came in.

For fuck sake, I messed up SA on the elusive because I forgot to delete the evidence before leaving the map -_-

I almost did the same, but I realized as I was headed to the exit and went back.

Easy way to erase the evidence:
There's a second one in an empty room at the back left of the first floor of the penthouse.

I guess I got lucky or had good timing, because I garotted her and dragged her to the closet and no one came in.

I almost did the same, but I realized as I was headed to the exit and went back.

Easy way to erase the evidence:
There's a second one in an empty room at the back left of the first floor of the penthouse.

Almost did the same thing and thankfully found
the one in the penthouse.

About opening the safe:
Glad I checked to see if using the key on the safe was suspicious, because it is. Checked with the hotel security and militia soldier disguises, and the key had a warning both times.

Got SA after almost an hour. Need one more for the winter suit, and the next one is on Hokkaido ...

Wait,
warning on the key? Do you mean when it goes to the inventory after deciding to unlock? Because the safe doesn't have the yellow exclamation.

tchocky

About opening the safe:
Glad I checked to see if using the key on the safe was suspicious, because it is. Checked with the hotel security and militia soldier disguises, and the key had a warning both times.

Got SA after almost an hour. Need one more for the winter suit, and the next one is on Hokkaido ...

I didn't notice the warning and unlocking the safe made the guards suspicious so I grabbed the files and ran to the exit.

It turns out that on professional, "doctor" disguises still let you carry syringes openly.

This includes Lafayette... because he is still literally a doctor.

EDIT - GuLe did it with basically one KO (which wouldn't have been required if he had a gun to start with). How come shooting Soders in the head with a loud weapon still gives him an SA rating?

Soders is not coded like a human target, somehow. It is impossible to get a noticed kill or a body found for Soders even if you shoot him or blow him up.

And no matter how you kill him the NPCs will act like they lost him in surgery.

Demoskinos

Finished!

C4aj9wHXAAEjsfp.jpg

Also...I counted 10 completed elusive targets but I don't have the Blood Money suit unlocked? :(

Shaanyboi

Banned
So what's the rule distinction on hiding bodies for SA? Like do they need to be hidden, full stop? Can you get away with not hiding them as long as they're not found? Etc.

Demoskinos

So what's the rule distinction on hiding bodies for SA? Like do they need to be hidden, full stop? Can you get away with not hiding them as long as they're not found? Etc.

Yes if they aren't found bodies they don't count against you. Also Poison and Accident Kills also do not effect your rating if bodies are found. So if possible its always preferable to do an accident kill as you then have leeway to not hide the body.

Yes if they aren't found bodies they don't count against you. Also Poison and Accident Kills also do not effect your rating if bodies are found. So if possible its always preferable to do an accident kill as you then have leeway to not hide the body.

Even if I have done a poison/accident kill I'll try to hide the body if possible. Stop the guards going on alert.

So if you are patient on this elusive target, you can take advantage of a
poison cocktail
opportunity for the first time ever in an elusive.

After 19 minutes or so in-mission,
the target will call for a waiter to mix a cocktail for her. The waiter from the downstairs restaurant bar will actually go up to the Queen Suite kitchen and do this. If you get there first as a waiter (which requires a master keycard because waiters are not allowed in the rest of the suite), you can mix the drink yourself (the required prompts will suddenly become available on the drinks cart).

I don't think there is any way to speed this up, because the required action prompt doesn't become available until then.

About opening the safe:

Wow, I just blundered ahead with it anyway and of course blew my SA rating. Teaches me to stop making assumptions.

That's two for two SA failures for me on the elusive targets with safes in them. This one was already twice as intense after all the mistakes I made on The Broker...

Jintor

phew got SA somehow.

That safe sucked.
Luckily only one Manager guard was suspicious and I managed to coin him into a room and mug him so I could wander in, pull the fire alarm, and run away.

Getting her alone was surprisingly easy, but thankfully I decided to stuff her into a closet straight away because her guards wandering afterwards surprised the hell out of me.

So I just recently picked up the retail steel book edition.

I've heard (mostly) good things but I'd like to refresh my notions of what to expect by asking the following:

How does this compare to previous Hitman games? Absolution made some refinements to the actual gameplay/controls but nothing about the settings, story, or contracts were all that memorable. I didn't think Absolution was a bad game by any measure, but something about it didn't quite click. So what refinements from Absolution carry over to this one?

How would the episodic nature affect the flow of the overall package? How much of my enjoyment would depend on replaying each mission?

How much fresh and unique content is there if I'm not replaying things?

How dynamic is each setting/mission? How is the overall mission design? Does this best the kind of stuff found in Hitman 2, Contracts, or even Bloodmoney?

Have they solved the aggravating issues of AI spotting you in some instances, but not in others, creating a sort of contradiction?

How good does the game look, in terms of visuals and details?

How buggy is this, post-patching and now that it's been released at retail as "the complete first season"? How is performance?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to know what to expect when I fire it up. Hopefully have reasons to be excited when I do.

Thanks guys.

Got SA on the ET, but it took me over an hour of constantly restarting. Things got a lot easier when I realized shooting the fire alarm in the security room clears it out.

phew got SA somehow.

That safe sucked.
Luckily only one Manager guard was suspicious and I managed to coin him into a room and mug him so I could wander in, pull the fire alarm, and run away.

Getting her alone was surprisingly easy, but thankfully I decided to stuff her into a closet straight away because her guards wandering afterwards surprised the hell out of me.
Want to hear something funny about the safe?
You can walk in, place a breaching charge on the safe, blow it, take the USB stick, and then casually walk out, all with everyone still in the security room. As long as the enforcer doesn't see through your security guard outfit (just make sure he's not looking directly at you while you're in the room) you'll be fine.

I just lured one of the guards into the corridor next to the office with a dropped gun, took their disguise and dumped their body, and then stole a keycard from the room opposite. When the enforcer wasn't looking directly at the door I walked in, and once his back was turned I blew the safe and took the stick, then casually walked out again. No problem :)

^ yeah its crazy how OP the breach charge is, its the new fire extinguisher. Once you figure out the fast way to do the safe you can get in and out in under 20 secs.

Great ET, felt very dangerous and "oh shit I'm about to get caught" all the time.

I can also say on PC at least you can get the safe contents and alt-f4 out of the game and restart the ET no problem. I probably did it about 8 times, screwing up various things along the way to kill the actual target, and still was able to restart every time after alt-f4'ing. I also once accidently knocked out the target instead of killing her, immediately alt-f4'd expecting the ET to be failed for me, but nope was able to restart it no problem.

For those who want to hear all the NPC dialog for ET 20, here's a video of it. Some good NPC intrigue going on between the son, mom, and "Sarah". I love the soldier who keeps saluting the red hat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR_S6iucCYA

SwissLion

Nobody else I know plays this game so I have to find somewhere to express this heartache.

I just spent 5-6 hours trying for the first time to get Silent Assassin on an elusive target.

I've been focusing on just getting it done and getting out since I got the game (successfully killed everyone past the ex-dictator, which was before my time)

I pretty much just spent all those hours honing a method.

Spoilers for my almost idiot-proof (clearly not totally) method for a kill and safe access (without breaching charge cheese)

Started off as staff in the basement, for easy access to the Head of Security or whatever. Used his outfit for a while to grab the master key and to pop the surveillance computer before I found the penthouse one.

Spent a long time tailing the General, hoping his disguise would help me grab the memory stick or even just dismiss some guards like in Marakesh, you can't even wear it it turns out.

Tried the Insecticide opportunity for the first time to see if it would knock out the security room, took me a long time to notice that it only does the lobby.

Eventually discovered that the target will be alone either before or after her upstairs meeting (though yes, even just knocking her out, you have to move quickly because the guards come looking for her. Stashed her unconscious body in the bathroom where nobody goes, grabbed her key to the safe. Cool, reliable safe key and easily snappable neck.

Tried detonating C4 next to the security room to empty it out. Only drew one guard.

What did eventually get all of them is a gunshot in the room just west of the Security Area. It leaves you enough time to skirt around them as they all go investigate.

So all together, start as staff, grab the master card, stash a security disguise for later. Head to the penthouse, set up my trap, knock out target and take her key, stashing her body, just in case. Go all the way back down and across, grab security disguise, pop pop in the empty room, sneak around, slip in, grad stick, get out. Back down and across, grabbing the staff uniform, up to the top floor, duck into the loo, snap her neck, head back down.

Now for the escape. There's just the one cleaner and the General who will spot me now. Cleaner accounted for but I don't see the General. Figure he's out of my path, maybe heading down to the security room. In retrospect I should have just hopped the balcony and taken the pipe down to 47's room. Instead, I didn't check the kitchen doorway with Hitman vision and he turned around at exactly the wrong time.

Instantly suspicious. Instinctively pause to restart. No such luck. Dejectedly make my way to the boat and leave.

TL;DR: 6 hours of patience and persistence foiled at the last second because instead of strolling out with RB held the whole time, I was sprinting for the door like an asshole.

Was heartbreaking to see that flawless results screen except for a black hole of a zero next to "Never Spotted"

Also feel like I should say, I don't have anything against cheese. Especially for elusive targets. But I am way too into getting into that roleplaying groove for the big featured targets.

GeeTeeCee

So I just recently picked up the retail steel book edition.

I've heard (mostly) good things but I'd like to refresh my notions of what to expect by asking the following:

How does this compare to previous Hitman games? Absolution made some refinements to the actual gameplay/controls but nothing about the settings, story, or contracts were all that memorable. I didn't think Absolution was a bad game by any measure, but something about it didn't quite click. So what refinements from Absolution carry over to this one?

Instinct mode and the way particular enemies react to certain disguises return from Absolution, but both systems are revised and work far better here. Levels are bigger and far less linear than Absolution.

How would the episodic nature affect the flow of the overall package? How much of my enjoyment would depend on replaying each mission?

Your mileage may vary, but it definitely feels like this Hitman was designed to be played over and over rather than once and done.

How much fresh and unique content is there if I'm not replaying things?

Two tutorial zones, 6 main missions, 4 bonus missions (all set in slightly modified versions of the main missions, and a ton of user-made contracts (again, using the existing missions).

How dynamic is each setting/mission? How is the overall mission design? Does this best the kind of stuff found in Hitman 2, Contracts, or even Bloodmoney?

Most people agree that Hitman 2016 is very much operating around the level of Blood Money.

Have they solved the aggravating issues of AI spotting you in some instances, but not in others, creating a sort of contradiction?

Maybe? I'm not super sure with this one, the AI certainly has its quirks at times...

How good does the game look, in terms of visuals and details?

Stunning

How buggy is this, post-patching and now that it's been released at retail as "the complete first season"? How is performance?

I'm playing this on a base PS4 and I'm generally not particularly sensitive to performance issues so I'm probably not the best source of info here.

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to know what to expect when I fire it up. Hopefully have reasons to be excited when I do.

Thanks guys.

I think if you treat the AI "respectfully", everything will hold together consistently. Weird stuff will happen if you push and stretch the system to its limits... but it's worth remembering that this game is unbelievably complex under the hood.

TL;DR: 6 hours of patience and persistence foiled at the last second because instead of strolling out with RB held the whole time, I was sprinting for the door like an asshole.

Was heartbreaking to see that flawless results screen except for a black hole of a zero next to "Never Spotted"

Also feel like I should say, I don't have anything against cheese. Especially for elusive targets. But I am way too into getting into that roleplaying groove for the big featured targets.

Almost all my non-SA elusives were because of getting spotted for one second while escaping. It's kind of like the urge to take a victory lap... except there are no victory laps in Hitman, just turning the corner and running into an enforcer.

I let myself use cheese in elusive targets when it feels like you have to work for it regardless. Blowing up the Ex-Dictator with a fire extinguisher under the table was the one time when it felt like going too far... but that was because nothing else was even remotely safe.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Got the Elusive on my first try, but lost the SA rank due to a stupid guard:

I used the "put the gun on the floor and turn on the vacuum cleaner so the hotel staff lady would call a guard to pick it up" strategy, but somehow when I was about to choke the guard, 47 instead punched him. It has happened to me many, many times before. It sucks.

Oh, well. I already have my winter suit, so it's not that I needed the SA rank.

SwissLion

This will happen if they're just about to turn around. You have to be pretty dead on behind them for the choke out to be available.

Or if they're on stairs of course (Watching stairs fuck the giant bomb guys out of an otherwise well done elusive target was painful)

Even when things are super frantic I always try to make sure the subdue prompt comes up before I hit the button. Even if it seems like it should be no problem.

essenn

There is so much content in this game, I don't think I'll finish everything before season 2. I want to complete all the challenges too

Dalibor68

Banned
I also have to say I'm disappointed with the professional difficulty mode, it seems like a waste of time unfortunately. Essentially it's "do every single assassination challenge again but in a more frustrating way, and your only reward at the end of each map is a shitty reskin of an item you'll likely never use".

Which is a shame really because it has a lot of potential with the new cameras, stuff having been moved around, disguise-specific weapons etc

Demoskinos

There is so much content in this game, I don't think I'll finish everything before season 2. I want to complete all the challenges too

Yeah every time I boot it up just so many things to do. I feel like I'll never finish all the Sapienza challenges. Got 20 mastery on a few more maps tho last night.

I also have to say I'm disappointed with the professional difficulty mode, it seems like a waste of time unfortunately. Essentially it's "do every single assassination challenge again but in a more frustrating way, and your only reward at the end of each map is a shitty reskin of an item you'll likely never use".

Which is a shame really because it has a lot of potential with the new cameras, stuff having been moved around, disguise-specific weapons etc

I think doing the challenges with new twists on them is the reward. It's fun having the remixed maps. Having to reroute how to do simple things like getting Kruger's disguise or getting the fireworks remote. Is the fun part to me.

Metal-Geo

Alright, after too many mishaps, I have to vent my frustration. Whenever the '�� Subdue' prompt appears, I expect to subdue the NPC. Not engage into a goddamned fist fight. It seems to be happening more and more recently. Whether I'm crouched behind a doorpost or standing right behind them. And it's seriously fucking up some of the runs on Professional. :/

Anung

Un Rama
Colorado was such a momentum killer for my playthrough of this. I can see what they were going for but I didn't really care for it at all. I did love the scarecrow combustion Easter egg though.

Hokkaido has been amazing so far.

I admit I was hoping for completely new assassination challenges too.

What I get out of this mode is a puzzle where you try to combine as many assassination challenges on each run as efficiently as possible. For example, my first Sapienza run I stacked the fiber wire challenge with the only two assassination challenges that allow the fiber wire, plus Silent Assassin. For my first Marrakesh run, I did Silent Assassin Suit Only stacked with the only two assassination challenges that can be done without deep infiltration.

Also, four out of the six unlocks (Napoleon, crystal ball, pistol, sniper rifle) are not reskins since they each do something new. Even the emetic syringe serves a purpose in letting you have two of them.

Alright, after too many mishaps, I have to vent my frustration. Whenever the '�� Subdue' prompt appears, I expect to subdue the NPC. Not engage into a goddamned fist fight. It seems to be happening more and more recently. Whether I'm crouched behind a doorpost or standing right behind them. And it's seriously fucking up some of the runs on Professional. :/

It's most obvious when trying to grab someone who is throwing up - the Subdue prompt appears and disappears as the person heaves back and forth. Subdue fails if the person's head is just a little too far away. I think it also helps to stand up if you possibly can.

In all cases except for the throwing-up scenario, the solution is to get up close and don't mash the button. Make sure you can see the Subdue prompt for more than a split second and don't try to subdue someone walking too fast.

I think I actually had a case recently where the game bailed me out by ignoring the Subdue button press because the person's head moved out of range as I pressed it. It's incredibly subtle, but there is more protection now than before.

Dynamic3

If you poison someone and their body is found, does that remove the possibility for SA?

Side note: Colorado seems so out place, both in aesthetic and level design.

Trouble

Banned
If you poison someone and their body is found, does that remove the possibility for SA?

Side note: Colorado seems so out place, both in aesthetic and level design.

AFAIK, only bodies found via accident kills don't remove Silent Assassin.

I want a bonus mission in Colorado with a traveling carnival taking place. Just think of the accident kill possibilities. Could put The Icon to shame.

CloudWolf

First elusive I've failed in a long time. Killing the Warlord was easy, finding the safe was not. Got compromised and killed while searching random rooms for it >_>

EDIT: *looks up Mr Freeze video* Oh fuck me, of course the safe was in the one room I didn't check. Jesus christ, I got killed for nothing.

GeeTeeCee

Well, I failed the Elusive spectacularly.

Started as security, dealt with the cameras and opened the safe. The soldiers guarding the target's suite greeted me happily, until I took one step past them and was suddenly in a hostile zone; no warning that the area beyond wasn’t accessible by security.

At least I managed to punch out six soldiers before I went down in a hail of bullets, and I've already got the Winter Suit so I can't say it annoys me as much as it might have.

Dynamic3

Started as security, dealt with the cameras and opened the safe. The soldiers guarding the target's suite greeted me happily, until I took one step past them and was suddenly in a hostile zone; no warning that the area beyond wasn’t accessible by security.

At least I managed to punch out six soldiers before I went down in a hail of bullets, and I've already got the Winter Suit so I can't say it annoys me as much as it might have.

Exact same thing happened to me. Totally caught me off guard.

fwiw that happened to me as well, I immediately alt-f4'd when they went hostile but the game let me load back into the ET and start again from scratch. Dunno if its only on PC or what but even if you get to the point where you cannot restart from inside the game, you can alt-f4 and restart the ET from scratch. I got the safe item first too and was still able to restart.

I had failed an ET in the past after killing the target and that method didn't work, so I think once you kill the target you are stuck but it seems so far, on PC at least, you aren't completely locked out of restarting in some situations.

It really sucks in this instance too because usually guards warn you with a "hey buddy, can't let you in here" or whatever but those goddamn guards are all happy and cheerful when you walk up in a guard suit :(

It really sucks in this instance too because usually guards warn you with a "hey buddy, can't let you in here" or whatever but those goddamn guards are all happy and cheerful when you walk up in a guard suit :(

I'm pretty sure there's a bug here. The guards will say one "friendly" line and then a "warning" line as though they were warning you the first time. And even if you're wearing an allowed disguise they will still drop their arms in a "confrontational" pose.

It's better than The Ex-Dictator where there was no warning at all, but they really seem to be having trouble coding new "zone guards" into existing levels.

Dalibor68

Banned
About opening the safe:

I was disguised as hotel security, pulled the fire alarm, everyone ran out of the security room but one guard, I went in and opened the safe with the key and there was no exclamation mark or anything, the militia dude even turned around and watched me as I grabbed the key and didn't react in any way

maybe the fire alarm somehow changed it?

Metal-Geo

I was disguised as hotel security, pulled the fire alarm, everyone ran out of the security room but one guard, I went in and opened the safe with the key and there was no exclamation mark or anything, the militia dude even turned around and watched me as I grabbed the key and didn't react in any way

maybe the fire alarm somehow changed it?

Grabbing the usb key isn't a suspicious act. But like Spring-Loaded, I tried unlocking the safe with the key as hotel security and one of the soldiers guarding the safe asked me wtf I was doing. The thing that surprised me was I was 100% sure there wasn't a warning icon on the prompt for unlocking the safe. ... But now that I think of it, there may have been one when selecting the key in the inventory. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Top Bottom