• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

Moff

So, as someone that has probably replayed Blood Money somewhere between a bajillion and a bazillion times, is this worth the money so far?

absolutely, best level design in the franchise and by far the highest replay value

MaKTaiL

So, as someone that has probably replayed Blood Money somewhere between a bajillion and a bazillion times, is this worth the money so far?

Yes. I highly recommend it. I've put 30+ hours on the first episode alone and I'm still coming back to it for the weekly challenges.

brau

Thanks guys, consider me sold! I'm so excited to finally have a new Hitman to explore.

Will you be playing it on PC?

I have put 21 hrs into the single mission already. Its awesome, and i am still discovering ways to pull kills and what not.

Also, i escalation missions are tons of fun. I yet to get into contracts! and i am waiting for Elusive targets to make their appearance. Its gonna be sweet!

Then in April new place comes and i'll be ready. I actually like the episodic format. It really does let me wrap my head around once place only for a long time. If i had the choice to keep moving forward i don't feel i would be getting so much out of the place already.

Quidam

Will you be playing it on PC?

I have put 21 hrs into the single mission already. Its awesome, and i am still discovering ways to pull kills and what not.

Also, i escalation missions are tons of fun. I yet to get into contracts! and i am waiting for Elusive targets to make their appearance. Its gonna be sweet!

Then in April new place comes and i'll be ready. I actually like the episodic format. It really does let me wrap my head around once place only for a long time. If i had the choice to keep moving forward i don't feel i would be getting so much out of the place already.

PS4, but I'm hoping the server issues won't be too bad!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Hands down, this is the best Hitman yet. No question.

It's funny, because Blood Money is considered THE classical Hitman game, the game to beat if they are going to release a new game in the serise. But I'm replaying it right now after playing this, and I had a bit of nostalgia googles going on with it.
Some levels are a bit undercooked, others are strangely empty (if they could do hundreds of npcs like they shown in the Mardi Gras level, why didn't they put a real Opera full of people in the Opera level?), the AI can be pretty problematic with cops shooting at you for entering on a bar or guards that seem to know where you are even if you break line of sight (and in one level, some of them could knew I was the one who prepared an accident even if it was done in another place and with another disguise, fucking bullshit), and most of the opportunities/accidents are cool but now I can see how they are a "first iteration" system, and it wasn't really mature until Hitman 2016.

KORNdoggy

If you're happy to support online only DRM. Then yes. Its great...you might get kicked to the main menu if the servers crap out. But in regards to it core systems its almost the best the series has been. Bit too hand holdy and more directed "obvious" means to kill... But generally great.

If you like the idea of replaying this with the campaign challenges and unlocks in 10 years time like you can with blood money. I'd probably avoid it. Because once these servers inneviably get switched off the games a coaster.

Moff

If you're happy to support online only DRM. Then yes. Its great...you might get kicked to the main menu if the servers crap out. But in regards to it core systems its almost the best the series has been. Bit too hand holdy and more directed "obvious" means to kill... But generally great.

If you like the idea of replaying this with the campaign challenges and unlocks in 10 years time like you can with blood money. I'd probably avoid it. Because once these servers inneviably get switched off the games a coaster.

when I replay this game in 10 years I will very likely not care at all about any of the content that requires a connection. the online content is mostly there to keep people playing until the next episode is out.
besides, IO have proven that they care a lot about their hardcore fans, so I don't think it's impossible that they would make the online part available offline IF this hypothetical scenario would even ever happen.

just cleared level 5 of the gemini escalation, so gud

gemini is tough. Akiko's pathing sucks and the boxes where you have to try and lure her behind are close to a dozen NPCs and also half the time she doesn't respond to coins.

I sucker-punched her and ran away

Man, I have no idea how to take out Akkiko Criley without just doing it openly or letting her spot you. She's never isolated and there doesn't seem to be any chance to isolate her without blowing cover.

you need to start as a stylist in the model room. immediately run outside where she is and subdue two other stylists, one in the right corner (as you're walking outside) behind the clothing racks. dont need any coins for him, just run up, take him out and then hide the body in the nearby dumpster. the second is the guy who walks near the two trailers adjacent to where you should have knocked out stylist 1. use a coin to get him between the two trailers and subdue him. drag him behind one of the trailers as no one walks around there.

akiko should be isolated now, use coins to lure her to where you took out stylist 1 (typically need to use two). once she's behind the clothing racks, knock her out and leave her body there. come back dressed as helmut and snap her neck. done.

It's not DRM, they're using Denuvo so you can't pirate the game anyways.

Of course, that just makes it more confusing why they would implement such a consumer unfriendly system.

Found this nice article about the art and visual style of the game (well, just Paris so far):
http://www.playboy.com/articles/hitman-source-code-kubrick-film-set-in-paris
SFW despite the link

The screens from the Italy level look amazing.

c_limit%2Cq_80%2Cw_720%2Fhttp%3A%2F%2Fimages-origin.playboy.com%2Fogz4nxetbde6%2F4xo89wP19SqEeSKgmYWAge%2F26f9731777e8a73224d40c2e2ae32243%2F9.jpg

c_limit%2Cq_80%2Cw_720%2Fhttp%3A%2F%2Fimages-origin.playboy.com%2Fogz4nxetbde6%2F1sFQ4YBltSiuY8AuymYmYG%2Fc56e5454a4c736e804e1be80b1f54a32%2F10.jpg

I really like the idea of "virtual tourism". Globetrotting was a big part of the appeal of the older games, but they can really capitalize on it now with modern graphics.

brau

The screens from the Italy level look amazing.

I really like the idea of "virtual tourism". Globetrotting was a big part of the appeal of the older games, but they can really capitalize on it now with modern graphics.

Now this looks more like it. Paris looks nice but it doesn't have all of this nice lightning and material definition that this showcases already.

I wonder if they'll be updating previous episodes with better materials, any optimizations and lightning. I hope so.

Phionoxx

Any word on the PS4 patch is supposed to go live, or has it already been released? Want to dive back into this game but the long loading times don't get along well with my playstyle that necessitates restarts for making mistakes.

Now this looks more like it. Paris looks nice but it doesn't have all of this nice lightning and material definition that this showcases already.

I wonder if they'll be updating previous episodes with better materials, any optimizations and lightning. I hope so.
The link I posted explains the decision for the dark, candle-lit Paris that we have. It's a pretty good read.
Datamining is the only reason I can think of.
I'm having trouble finding the link with the information at the moment, but I recall reading that it's just telemetry. They want to see the routes/paths we're taking and I guess they're parsing information from that to develop later levels.
Edit: It might have been in one of the surveys they sent me, because I can't find the link for shit. Sorry.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having trouble finding the link with the information at the moment, but I recall reading that it's just telemetry. They want to see the routes/paths we're taking and I guess they're parsing information from that to develop later levels.
Edit: It might have been in one of the surveys they sent me, because I can't find the link for shit. Sorry.

Yeah, that was my understanding. They're meant to be using the data to make the game better too, which is kind of funny. :D

Jintor

Yeah, that was my understanding. They're meant to be using the data to make the game better too, which is kind of funny. :D

have they fixed the fucking leaderboard bug yet?

that possibly irks me the most since their excuse was partially OH YOU WON'T GET LEADERBOARDS and then leaderboards are absolutely worthless

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
have they fixed the fucking leaderboard bug yet?

that possibly irks me the most since their excuse was partially OH YOU WON'T GET LEADERBOARDS and then leaderboards are absolutely worthless

You're asking the wrong guy. I can't stay connected long enough to look at them. XD

brau

The link I posted explains the decision for the dark, candle-lit Paris that we have. It's a pretty good read.

I really like the setting and the lighting. I like less traditional times of day for some of these locations. But i did feel like some of the materials were not utilizing the power of PBR. (at least im pretty sure they are using PBR)

This new level really has materials that react properly to the light which gives it more definition.

Update 1.03 releasing for consoles today, PC in the "very near future".

The Vampire Magician Challenge Pack
Includes 10 new challenges that were inspired by how our community have been playing the game. Each challenge requires you to wear the Vampire Magician disguise while taking down targets using a range of different methods.

Continued improvements to load times
The improvements will be most notable when loading The Showstopper mission in Paris and we're already working on improving all loading times even more.

Improved responsiveness for in-game menus and image loading
We've implemented an image caching system that will improve responsiveness and loading times for all images in the game menu.

Fixed issues with scoring
Primarily, this fixes an issue that resulted in many players earning a “0 second” time bonus and an incorrect score of 210,000. A leaderboard reset will be implemented at a later date.

Continued improvements to connectivity
Server stability improvements.

Missing 'Requiem Pack' items have been restored
For those affected, these items will now be available to choose from the planning screen again.

Fixed numerous issues that were causing crashes
General improvements to game stability.

Gacha-pin

I don't feel the loading times have been reduced on PS4 :( But bringing a menu is slightly faster now, I guess.

edit
initial loading 68 seconds.
loading a saved game 40 seconds.

PS4 loading times after 1.03 patch

Paris mission

Initial loading time -> 1 minute 43 seconds / 1 minute 13 seconds
Restarting/reloading save games -> 44 seconds / 46 seconds

Yacht mission

Initial loading time -> 27 seconds / 22 seconds
Restarting/reloading save games -> 10 seconds / 9 seconds

Final Test airport hangar mission

Initial loading time -> 23 seconds / 18 seconds
Restarting/reloading save games -> 8 seconds / 7 seconds
It's a slight improvement nothing to get excited over. Paris loading times are still too long imo.

MUnited83

For you.
a leaderboard reset is not really necessary, they can simply delete all the 210'000 scores

Yeah, this. 210 000 is literally impossible to achieve regularly, so it really shouldn't take more than that.
Either way, i'm hyped, i can finally gun for dem top leaderboards :D

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Those PS4 load times are terrible even after the patch. I feel for y'all.

Thank baby jesus. I'll probably hop back in next week, I'm just letting the escalations pile up so I can run them all as a binge for a little while, with regular contracts to mix it up. I'm glad they fixed the icons, but what I'm really hoping for is more improvements to loading times. Apparently according to those notes they aren't done optimizing that? If we can at least get under a minute on the initial Showstopper load...it would still be painful, but I'd be able to deal a little better.

Top Bottom