• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

Jito

Banned
Damn that really sucks, thought it'd be closer to the start of the month. Hope I can peel myself away from Dark Souls 3 to play this again.

Load times are still horrific, needs to be less than a minute really.

ZeroX03

Banned
Picked this up. It's fun. Not exactly my flavor, I prefer the sort of more fluid control and direct stealth of MGSV and Blacklist but it's still a cool title. I'm probably in for each episode.

Worst part of the game is loading time and performance in menus. Menus shouldn't lag.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
It's cool that they are adding weekly challenges and escalations but there's little incentive to do them after unlocking everything. Maybe if they had a weapon customization system like BM they could lock weapons and attachments behind challenges which would give an even greater replay value to the game

Jito

Banned
I thought they were announcing or releasing the first Elusive target with the release date for Sapienza as well?

4/26 is pretty disappointing. I know they promised April, and they delivered it in April, but it still feels like it slipped a bit. Hope the rest of the episodes stay on target.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yes : (

A default stock HDD.

Paris mission

Initial loading time -> 1 minute 43 seconds
Restarting/reloading save games -> 44 seconds

Yacht mission

Initial loading time -> 27 seconds
Restarting/reloading save games -> 10 seconds

Final Test airport hangar mission

Initial loading time -> 23 seconds
Restarting/reloading save games -> 8 seconds

Bonus Server disconnection
Returning to main menu and reconnecting -> 40 seconds
After that repeat step one -> Initial loading time

..They got worse? Or are you just saying they're still booty?

Just what I saw here. I'm on the PC so I'm looking at maybe 10 seconds or whatnot. It's nice and easy.

4/26 is pretty disappointing. I know they promised April, and they delivered it in April, but it still feels like it slipped a bit. Hope the rest of the episodes stay on target.

I expected late April from the start, I received late April.

People likes to fool themselves hyping themselves thinking "oh they said April. It could be in the first week of April!! :D". Then the disappointment comes.
No, when a company mentions a non-specific date, it's always whatever date is the latest, while still technically is in the mentioned timeframe. Because games always needs more polish. It's never enough.

Moff

yeah I expected late april was well, especially with the troubles they had, I am still a bit disappointed because I am ready for more

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I stopped playing this when I wanted to restart the Paris mission and it caused it to, like, reload the whole fucking thing for two minutes. Turned it off and haven't returned. So gross.

It's cool that they are adding weekly challenges and escalations but there's little incentive to do them after unlocking everything. Maybe if they had a weapon customization system like BM they could lock weapons and attachments behind challenges which would give an even greater replay value to the game

Well, there's still that SMG unlock to look forward to when they finally release 10 escalations...

Also, I recall that suits with gloves will be unlocked by completing elusive targets. But again, that'll be whenever they actually release enough of those to unlock anything.

That beach ball will be lethal somehow, right? Right?

Ugh looks so good, love the graphics and Italy looks amazing

Just can't bring myself to buy it on principle. I watched a ton of let's plays of Paris and think I got my fill of that

Still crossing my fingers that by the disc release offline mode will be fully intact with insertion points, unlockable and customization

I'm curious to know if the server stability was improved at all for the GAFfers who were having trouble before. Foffy, ScreamingMeat, inquiring minds want to know!

That's one of the things I put in the feedback survey they sent out.

And gloves. Hitman outfit ain't complete without the gloves.

I heard that outfits will be unlocked by completing elusive target missions.

Randdalf

I think the lack of gratification I personally feel when completing the weekly challenges is not because there is a lack of tangible reward; I'm not the kind of player who needs a reward for every single little thing they do, like a lot of games seem to assume about their player base nowadays. The real reason is that I've 100% completed Paris and effectively seen it all: I know the best routes, where all the items are, the blind spots and so on, because I have completed all the challenges. My enjoyment in Hitman is solving the stealth/assassination puzzle, but now I fully understand the puzzle it's easy to find the solutions. This means that the escalations are quite easy from my perspective, which makes them less gratifying.

As you rightly point out, challenges are not very well incentivised from an unlockable standpoint. There is the promise of unlocking an SMG when you complete ten escalations, but that feels like quite a small incentive to me, especially when I don't imagine players value SMGs much as gameplay tool. However, we should note that completing escalations does contribute towards your mastery level, and so players who haven't maxed their mastery yet will be getting unlockables for doing them.

Either way, whichever type of player you are, Hitman doesn't do a very good job at incentivising elder players to continue playing in-between episodes, whether that be from offering underwhelming gameplay challenges or not incentivising those challenges very well.

However, I don't think we can ignore the difficulty of doing that from IO's perspective. Making new unlockables, whether new weapons, tools or cosmetics is probably expensive, and everything they plan to make is probably already planned out. Making them actually valuable to the player is even more challenging. They still have a number of new locations to release, each of which has its own set of unlockables, although the majority of those are specific to that location (like starting locations, and item cases). I like your idea about weapon customisation, although I'm not certain how much that would actually add to the game.

I'm hoping that the release of Sapienza somewhat abates what I'm terming my "Paris fatigue" - there's only so much you can replay one level before exhausting it.

Moff

you get a weapon for doing 10 escalations in paris

I think the mission mastery system is pretty good right now, I mean I did all the challenges anyway, but I think it's ok that you don't need to do all of them to get all the unlocks.

There are two things that stand out to me after this much time spent with Paris:

1. For all the people in the level, there aren't a lot of potential targets in it. Only people that you can isolate, poison, or snipe from a distance are particularly compelling. Everyone else is just going to result in a messy mission completion.

I've considered making a contract where you have to eliminate the butlers and auctioneer upstairs, but I can't figure out a remotely elegant way to do it.

Sapienza looks like it will be much more wide open, with not nearly as many big crowds. This should open up the options a lot more.

2. Another thing this game could potentially explore is targets where you are forced to compromise yourself. Why not have scenarios where you have to extricate yourself without being spotted or taken down by people who are actively hunting for you?

MaKTaiL

Still getting booted. Takes a little bit longer for it to happen, but still happens.

This is such bullshit.

The problem is on your end. Aside from launch day I was never booted from the game again. I've been playing it solid for a long time now.

The problem is on your end. Aside from launch day I was never booted from the game again. I've been playing it solid for a long time now.

Let's say that, for all intents and purposes, my connection is shit. Disregard how it works perfectly on every game, including SFV and even Gundam Breaker 3 when playing with people across the water. Let's also say that other people haven't been having issues, as been reported by other users here. Hell, let's exclude the developers themselves saying it's a server issue on their end.

So my connection is shit and everyone saying they are having issues are liars.

Now, apparently, when the connection drops, I'm booted back to the main menu and have to log back in again. Progress is gone, and nothing transfers. At the very least, common sense would dictate that I'd be able to boot back into the game and try again without losing progress or completely run back to the menu. In order words, whatever is causing it on "my end" shouldn't matter, because there's no option to account for any errors.

So whether or not it's "my fault" is irrelevant, because the developers didn't account for any problems either way.

Putting everything back in place, your personal experience doesn't negate mine or everyone else's. Don't give the developers an excuse, man. It's not a good look.

God dammit. It's been three fucking weeks, IO. Get it together.

It's really making runs a huge problem, because I'm lulled into a sense of security, then BAM YOU HAVE BEEN DISCONNECTED.

Tested out the new patch for about 2 hours, got disconnected only once right at the end of a contract. Progress I guess.

Initial Paris load is still way too long though.

Let's say that, for all intents and purposes, my connection is shit. Disregard how it works perfectly on every game, including SFV and even Gundam Breaker 3 when playing with people across the water. Let's also say that other people haven't been having issues, as been reported by other users here. Hell, let's exclude the developers themselves saying it's a server issue on their end.

So my connection is shit and everyone saying they are having issues are liars.

Now, apparently, when the connection drops, I'm booted back to the main menu and have to log back in again. Progress is gone, and nothing transfers. At the very least, common sense would dictate that I'd be able to boot back into the game and try again without losing progress or completely run back to the menu. In order words, whatever is causing it on "my end" shouldn't matter, because there's no option to account for any errors.

So whether or not it's "my fault" is irrelevant, because the developers didn't account for any problems either way.

Putting everything back in place, your personal experience doesn't negate mine or everyone else's. Don't give the developers an excuse, man. It's not a good look.

It's really making runs a huge problem, because I'm lulled into a sense of security, then BAM YOU HAVE BEEN DISCONNECTED.
If you're on console, do you have your console in your router's DMZ?

What results do you get from speedtest.net and pingtest.net (post the images if possible)?

That's the sort of information that IO would probably need to figure out why some users are so heavily affected. You're absolutely right that the way they handle connection failures is ridiculous though.

If you're on console, do you have your console in your router's DMZ?

What results do you get from speedtest.net and pingtest.net (post the images if possible)?

That's the sort of information that IO would probably need to figure out why some users are so heavily affected. You're absolutely right that the way they handle connection failures is ridiculous though.

I have no clue. Maybe? I've never had any issues with any other games dropping when being server dependent. I play The Division and other MMO type games without any issue.

The results from both speedtest and speedof are around 70 download, and 20 upload (I admittedly did this test while listening to Spotify and watching Netfilix, with my girlfriend downloading something in the other room).

It's gotta be something on their end on how they deal with hiccups to their servers. Any disconnects, however momentary, tell the game to shut down and hit the menu. Though I don't know anything about that shit so I'm talking out of my ass. But I don't think it's related to the player's connections, because they explicitly stated that they were fixing server stability.

I have no clue. Maybe? I've never had any issues with any other games dropping when being server dependent. I play The Division and other MMO type games without any issue.

The results from both speedtest and speedof are around 70 download, and 20 upload (I admittedly did this test while listening to Spotify and watching Netfilix, with my girlfriend downloading something in the other room).

It's gotta be something on their end on how they deal with hiccups to their servers. Any disconnects, however momentary, tell the game to shut down and hit the menu. Though I don't know anything about that shit so I'm talking out of my ass. But I don't think it's related to the player's connections, because they explicitly stated that they were fixing server stability.
If the problems were all server side then you generally wouldn't expect to see this phenomenon where some users are completely unaffected, and others are plagued by constant issues. The resolution might be on the server side, but there's probably an aspect of end user connections that's initiating the problem, and it would be interesting to know what it is.

The DMZ will fix any issues with ports (in case your router's UPnP implementation is struggling with Hitman) so that should be your first order of business: it's just a worthwhile step in general for a console.

The pingtest.net results are the most important ones for gaming so let us know what results you get. In addition to latency it'll let you know how many packets are getting dropped on your connection, and what the jitter is.

Top Bottom