• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

This. I did the first three steps in the first Paris one and didn't see much change and then steps 4 and 5 made me have to entirely rethink my route. They do some fun stuff.

Yeah, the first couple steps on an escalation are usually super easy, and they start to actually complicate matters with step 3 or so. The only exception to that I found was the one with the stylist and Helmut Kruger's outfit.

Moff

Escalations are great, not necessarily because they escalate but because they bring fun new ideas and sometimes even features to the level. I really like doing them, but mostly I don't aim for perfect scores, I just want to complete them.

Escalations are great, not necessarily because they escalate but because they bring fun new ideas and sometimes even features to the level. I really like doing them, but mostly I don't aim for perfect scores, I just want to complete them.

Yeah after watching the devs themselves play the Escalations very sloppily on Twitch, I have to admit I haven't exactly been a Silent Assassin in Escalations. Or anything close to Silent, really. lol

Jintor

I think the intention is to force messiness anyway, because the best part of Hitman is trying to recover from a rapidly degrading situation

I know this treads dangerously close to energy timer territory but I kinda feel like there should be contracts you can only attempt once a week or something, some middle ground before elusive targets that isn't completely mind-killing but is still worthwhile

I think the intention is to force messiness anyway, because the best part of Hitman is trying to recover from a rapidly degrading situation

I know this treads dangerously close to energy timer territory but I kinda feel like there should be contracts you can only attempt once a week or something, some middle ground before elusive targets that isn't completely mind-killing but is still worthwhile

I would like that more if 47 could actually take a hit. I feel like if it ever descends into a firefight, you're done. Maybe I just need to get gud?

JonnyKong

I played this for a couple of hours last night. This is the first ever Hitman game I've played so I was initially worried I wouldn't like it, but luckily the training missions did a great job of easing me in.

I really enjoyed myself. I liked the kinda slow, laid back pace of the game, just wandering around observing all the people, listening in on them.

It gets very tense once you've killed the target and you have to get back out without being caught.
Luckily I didn't have too much trouble thanks to those very helpful observations I was tracking.

Can't wait to get back on it and try alternative ways of killing the targets.

Do you guys recommend I complete all the challenges in order, boat > hanger then Paris? (I've already completed Paris once)

when are the elusive targets coming anyway

They've still been mum on details, but if I had to speculate I'd expect to see a 1.04 patch probably next week with elusive targets around the same time, since Sapienza is 2 weeks from today and Travis has gone on record saying they want to get a second patch to eliminate the remaining server issues and to get our first elusive targets before Sapienza drops. I'm thinking patch next tuesday, elusive target friday through the weekend, Sapienza tuesday. I think that's probably ideal timing.

I played this for a couple of hours last night. This is the first ever Hitman game I've played so I was initially worried I wouldn't like it, but luckily the training missions did a great job of easing me in.

I really enjoyed myself. I liked the kinda slow, laid back pace of the game, just wandering around observing all the people, listening in on them.

It gets very tense once you've killed the target and you have to get back out without being caught.
Luckily I didn't have too much trouble thanks to those very helpful observations I was tracking.

Do you guys recommend I complete all the challenges in order, boat > hanger then Paris? (I've already completed Paris once)

No, I recommend you complete the challenges that look good to you, in whichever order makes sense for you at the time. When I went through them all, I did a bunch of paris ones, then went back and did all the hangar ones, then did some more paris ones, and then wrapped up the boat ones. I still have some paris ones to do (especially after the 1.03 patch, haven't touched those) but as far as keeping things from going stale, I would definitely recommend hopping around a fair bit.

Up to you! There's no advantage or reason to do them in a certain order, in my opinion.

JonnyKong

I think Frontmalmonk makes a good point about the missions getting stale if I just concentrate on doing all the challenges for a certain area all at once. I'll hop between the three. Thanks guys :)

Just two more escalations this week, but there are finally 10 of them to complete.

Let's see if the last week before Sapienza finally brings the elusive targets.

JonnyKong

So even though I said I wasn't going to do it, I decided to complete all the challenges on the yacht anyway. Twa's a lot of fun. I felt like a smug bastard working out which glass of wine they were going to take so I could put rat poison in it first, then I drowned them whilst they puked :)

Ozium

Went back to this after only playing Paris once or twice to finish up the various challenges for both training missions.. some funny stuff in there.. On to Paris next.. have done a few contracts here and there too...

The more I play this game the more I love it, can't wait for Italy..

HOWEVER, I do not like doing escalation missions because sometimes they bore me and I honestly wish there was a way to save inbetween levels, where you can save and exit but when you go back it will erase the save so you can't save scum.. I dunno

also the more I play the more I see various conversations and it really fleshes out the story and characters, etc.. It's a pretty cool way to do it IMO since the levels are based around replayability, so you always get a little bit more info each time you play..

Ludens

Banned
Went back to this after only playing Paris once or twice to finish up the various challenges for both training missions.. some funny stuff in there.. On to Paris next.. have done a few contracts here and there too...

The more I play this game the more I love it, can't wait for Italy..

HOWEVER, I do not like doing escalation missions because sometimes they bore me and I honestly wish there was a way to save inbetween levels, where you can save and exit but when you go back it will erase the save so you can't save scum.. I dunno

also the more I play the more I see various conversations and it really fleshes out the story and characters, etc.. It's a pretty cool way to do it IMO since the levels are based around replayability, so you always get a little bit more info each time you play..

Eh, my "problem" is the fact this happened in older Hitman too. I'm doing Paris level again and again, and until now I discovered a lot of new info. Like, when you disguise yourself as model, there's a whole new plot line with the woman you need to kill.
When you disguise as bodyguard, it's the same. It's great, but nothing new, really. I think the game honestly is too much based on repetitions. On Absolution there were challenges too, but the game won't force you to complete them. There was only one achievement )if I remember correclty) asking to complete 100 of them, but the majority came by doing levels.
I think this Hitman is very poor on contents: when the game will be complete, we'll have something likesix main levels plus 2 training levels, it's a very small number compared to other Hitman, which comes usually with 12 missions minimum to get on 20+ in Hitman 2.
IO here just make visibile, rewarding you with achievements and a virtual checklist, a system already acting in all Hitman games. If you take out this checklist, it only remains a small amount of content in my opinion. I'm not saying the game is bad, it's great, even if I find it a bit too easy but I think people who played classic Hitman will agree with me, here.
But usually when I do a clean run with no save, suit only and Silent Assassin rank, that level is over for me. Yeah, I can replay it a couple of times for fun or discover new things, but I achieved my goal, to get the best rank possible.

Eh, my "problem" is the fact this happened in older Hitman too. I'm doing Paris level again and again, and until now I discovered a lot of new info. Like, when you disguise yourself as model, there's a whole new plot line with the woman you need to kill.
When you disguise as bodyguard, it's the same. It's great, but nothing new, really. I think the game honestly is too much based on repetitions. On Absolution there were challenges too, but the game won't force you to complete them. There was only one achievement )if I remember correclty) asking to complete 100 of them, but the majority came by doing levels.
I think this Hitman is very poor on contents: when the game will be complete, we'll have something likesix main levels plus 2 training levels, it's a very small number compared to other Hitman, which comes usually with 12 missions minimum to get on 20+ in Hitman 2.
IO here just make visibile, rewarding you with achievements and a virtual checklist, a system already acting in all Hitman games. If you take out this checklist, it only remains a small amount of content in my opinion. I'm not saying the game is bad, it's great, even if I find it a bit too easy but I think people who played classic Hitman will agree with me, here.
But usually when I do a clean run with no save, suit only and Silent Assassin rank, that level is over for me. Yeah, I can replay it a couple of times for fun or discover new things, but I achieved my goal, to get the best rank possible.

I think a lot of the replayability will end up coming down the pike depending on how they do additional features. Fleshing out Contracts will go a long way, and redesigning escalations to make lower levels not boring would help as well. If various early previews and surveys are to be believed, I think we can also expect some customization/upgrade features for our weapons as well, which (while obviously not that helpful for SA/SO runs) are pretty good for "fun runs".

My personal gripe is we need to have tighter gunplay so if we get in a sticky situation we might actually get out of a firefight alive, because personally when I got tired of trying to hit SA rank in earlier hitman games I would go the "fun run" route and suit up with all my gear and have my agency pickup be like, the shotgun or something crazy. We need to feel like that's an option, which it doesn't right now.

MMaRsu

Blood Moneys gunplay was pretty great, well at least the silverballers. Barely ever used any other actual weapons in that game.

Double D

Blood Moneys gunplay was pretty great, well at least the silverballers. Barely ever used any other actual weapons in that game.

Headshots with a fully upgraded silenced Silverballer in Blood Money is one of the most satisfying gaming moments for me.

Ludens

Banned
Silenced Silverballets were way too overpowered, they have ton of ammo and they deal big damage. Not a bad thing when you want to go into a rampage.

Demoskinos

I'm fine with the amount of missions. I'd take quality over quantity every day of the week. And I feel like if were getting 6 areas as fleshed out as Paris that will make for a very content rich game. I think paris is more repayable than the majority of the older hitman levels. The only thing that I think I can super criticize about the game is contracts mode could be better. They need to add the ability for people to turn on level modifiers. Like adding more surveillance cameras or metal detector or other complications to give user contracts some spice to them. Cause as is contracts is the only mode that doesn't have any reason to really poke at it.

MUnited83

For you.
I'm fine with the amount of missions. I'd take quality over quantity every day of the week. And I feel like if were getting 6 areas as fleshed out as Paris that will make for a very content rich game. I think paris is more repayable than the majority of the older hitman levels. The only thing that I think I can super criticize about the game is contracts mode could be better. They need to add the ability for people to turn on level modifiers. Like adding more surveillance cameras or metal detector or other complications to give user contracts some spice to them. Cause as is contracts is the only mode that doesn't have any reason to really poke at it.

Yep. 6 areas in this game is wayyyyyyyyyy more content than, say, Blood Money. I don't get why people still insist on counting the number of missions and literally nothing else.

It's only because of all the different ways to replay Paris that I ended up experimenting so much with the limits of what I can do in this game. Normally I play stealth games extremely conservatively, but this is the first time that I've tried to pull off assassinations literally behind people's backs while still staying hidden. It makes the game much more exciting than if I just played it safe.

And I'm still learning how to do things I didn't even think was possible. No idea yet how to pull off this toilet kill in the latest escalations.

Ludens

Banned
Yep. 6 areas in this game is wayyyyyyyyyy more content than, say, Blood Money. I don't get why people still insist on counting the number of missions and literally nothing else.

Well, but Blood Money had something like 13 levels, and I think any level was here just to increase the total count. Yeah, for sure Hitman 2016, at least the Paris level, has way more ways to complete a level, but I'm feeling like I'm playing the same level again and again, and in fact it's right. The right balance for me would be having 12 levels like older Hitman but with way less challenges in each one. 70 challenges on Paris are simply too much, expecially when there are a lot of filler/dumb ones like spawning in a different location in the beginning of the level/use another exit.

Actually I think the only Hitman with filler missions was Hitman 1, like the jungle level in which you need to basically reach an exit avoiding a puma or something like that.
Hitman 2 had 21 levels but no fillers.

Well, but Blood Money had something like 13 levels, and I think any level was here just to increase the total count. Yeah, for sure Hitman 2016, at least the Paris level, has way more ways to complete a level, but I'm feeling like I'm playing the same level again and again, and in fact it's right. The right balance for me would be having 12 levels like older Hitman but with way less challenges in each one. 70 challenges on Paris are simply too much, expecially when there are a lot of filler/dumb ones like spawning in a different location in the beginning of the level/use another exit.

Actually I think the only Hitman with filler missions was Hitman 1, like the jungle level in which you need to basically reach an exit avoiding a puma or something like that.
Hitman 2 had 21 levels but no fillers.

I agree with Paris having too many dumb objectives, but this is a bold faced lie. Japan says hello.

Ludens

Banned
I agree with Paris having too many dumb objectives, but this is a bold faced lie. Japan says hello.

I liked a lot japanase missions, even if some of them were REALLY broke, like At the gate.

Anyway, I'm having a problem with Hitman.
Today I reached level 20, I'm sure of it because it happened right after I ended the mission getting the snipers challenges done.
Now I booted the game and it showed me on level 19. I completed the mission again and I leveled up again to 20.
I restarted Paris, did other challenges, but now in the stats screen I was level 18 leveling up, again, to level 20.
It can't be a server issues since all the challenges I did are checked, so my save/server is keeping my data, but why I leveled down two times?

Demoskinos

I liked a lot japanase missions, even if some of them were REALLY broke, like At the gate.

Today I reached level 20, I'm sure of it because it happened right after I ended the mission getting the snipers challenges done.
Now I booted the game and it showed me on level 19. I completed the mission again and I leveled up again to 20.
I restarted Paris, did other challenges, but now in the stats screen I was level 18 leveling up, again, to level 20.
It can't be a server issues since all the challenges I did are checked, so my save/server is keeping my data, but why I leveled down two times?

47 knows you've been talking shit about him on GAF. ;)

I mean I liked Tracking Hayamoto and Shogun Showdown, but At the Gates and Hidden Valley can burn forever.

That's really funky, though.

Well, but Blood Money had something like 13 levels, and I think any level was here just to increase the total count. Yeah, for sure Hitman 2016, at least the Paris level, has way more ways to complete a level, but I'm feeling like I'm playing the same level again and again, and in fact it's right.

I'm part of "more variety, smaller levels" camp. Paris Mansion is massive and there's a lot to do, but I'm still playing the same map over and over. I'd prefer if they had a smaller mansion and something like the Eiffel tower.

I really enjoyed the beta and did everything, but for some reason, only beat Showstopper once.

JonnyKong

I can't help but feel like I'm cheating a little when I so openly follow the "opportunities", but... but... I don't wanna turn them off.

Also, I've only just noticed that Paris has 91 challenges. Ain't nobody got time for that. I think I'll follow one or two more opportunities just to see some varied deaths, then I'll give the escalation thing a go.

That's happened to me before, but only once and only on the mission end screen. I think it's just that your save didn't sync correctly, but the problem should go away.

Ozium

what's the easiest escalation mission in Paris?

also I played a recent contract and am the only one on the leaderboards but didnt get the cheevo :/

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
lfGYw7P.gif

Ozium

I went to start an escalation mission that I previously quit because I was too tired and it was still on level 3.... I was under the assumption that it didn't save and you had to do it in one sitting, but apparently it does save which level you are on...

this changes everything

Demoskinos

I went to start an escalation mission that I previously quit because I was too tired and it was still on level 3.... I was under the assumption that it didn't save and you had to do it in one sitting, but apparently it does save which level you are on...

this changes everything

You will get a hard save at each step of escalation but you cannot save within the actual missions themselves when playing them. And yeah, breaking them up into multiple play sessions has been key for me b/c doing the same mission 5 times in a row starts to get annoying.

You will get a hard save at each step of escalation but you cannot save within the actual missions themselves when playing them. And yeah, breaking them up into multiple play sessions has been key for me b/c doing the same mission 5 times in a row starts to get annoying.

Yeah I only do 2 or 3 steps of an escalation at a time, I can't bring myself to do all 5 in one go. Even if I just sit down and only do escalations, I'll hop between escalations to do a few here and a few there before I wrap them up.

Top Bottom