• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

JonnyKong

What exactly is an escalation? I'm still trying to complete the challenges so haven't got around to trying either those or contracts.

Moff

What exactly is an escalation? I'm still trying to complete the challenges so haven't got around to trying either those or contracts.

it's basically a series of 5 contracts that get harder every time.
the fun thing about it is that it's not only more targets, but quite interesting stuff, like stealing something, hacking a computer, completely new feautures like laser trip mines, it really makes you approach the level completely differently. I did all of them.

Basically, it's a mission that gives you an objective (kill so and so as an auction staff with a pistol) that has 5 stages to it, and each stage adds extra conditions that complicate the hit. You might get additional targets with their own conditions, you might get a time limit (complete the whole thing and get out in 5 minutes), you might get a restriction (no pacifications), or extra security (additional security cameras, laser trip wires). Sometimes the complications get extra amusing, like replacing all the bartenders with shotgun bodyguards.

The problem you run into, though, is while the objectives continue to pile up, they don't change mid-escalation, so killing that first dude with those conditions doesn't change from level 1 to 5, which means to a certain extent you're doing the same thing over and over again, which can get grating. Thus, mixing it up instead of doing all 5 levels back to back.

JonnyKong

Oh boy, they sound tough, but equally fun. I think I'm nearly done with trying to get as many challenges as I want, so I'll try an escalation next.

Going back to mop up old escalations - any ideas for a clean run of Einarsson Inception that doesn't involve spamming coins?

As far as I can tell there is no way to poison Norfolk in five minutes, poison being the only other way to get him alone. I did notice you can get direct line of sight from below decks through the porthole, but somehow shooting through the porthole with a silenced pistol not only gets you Body Found but also puts you into Combat (even though no one should have been able to see you).

By the way, did IO comment on the missing feature to hide stuff in crates which will be taken to the 3rd floor in the Paris map? They showed that in the Paris gameplay footage but it's nowhere in the game.

By the way, did IO comment on the missing feature to hide stuff in crates which will be taken to the 3rd floor in the Paris map? They showed that in the Paris gameplay footage but it's nowhere in the game.

You can unlock various locations where items can be smuggled in. That includes a toilet on the 3rd floor.

The interactive maps just confirmed for me that there is no way to get a perfect rating on Perkins Disarray. You have to kill non-targets to get the mandatory disguises, because pacifications are not allowed and those disguises can't be found in the level.

What a weird requirement.

hunchback

Hey all. I have a few questions before I jump in. Thank you for any info.

How are most of you buying this game? Paying for the entire game or this portion? Is there any bonuses or extra content you miss out on with buying just the first portion? Have they got the online stable?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Hey all. I have a few questions before I jump in. Thank you for any info.

How are most of you buying this game? Paying for the entire game or this portion? Is there any bonuses or extra content you miss out on with buying just the first portion? Have they got the online stable?

I brought the intro pack with the intention of just buying the new episodes as they become available. You won't miss out on anything no matter how you buy it the only thing is there were a few cosmetic items for pre-ordering (a suit and gun, nothing much) and a couple of PS4 only contract hits. Online is much better now. I haven't been disconnected in 30+ hours since the last patch.

hunchback

I brought the intro pack with the intention of just buying the new episodes as they become available. You won't miss out on anything no matter how you buy it the only thing is there were a few cosmetic items for pre-ordering (a suit and gun, nothing much) and a couple of PS4 only contract hits. Online is much better now. I haven't been disconnected in 30+ hours since the last patch.

Thank you very much. I think I'll start with the intro. This will be the first Hitman since the second game.

webkatt

What the heck is up with the server?

I've just installed the game on my PS4 and I can't even complete the tutorial mission as I keep getting booted to the menu over and over due to a server error.

I had to turn it off after the fifth disconnect.

Is the trophy for doing all the opportunities glitched? That's my last one in Paris and it just won't unlock and I'm sure I've done them all.

Did you get them all to "opportunity completed"? For example, I screwed up the camera one by not following the reporter to the interview spot.

Did you get them all to "opportunity completed"? For example, I screwed up the camera one by not following the reporter to the interview spot.
I'm pretty sure I did for all of them. This wouldn't be an issue if I just knew which the game tracked as unfinished like the challenges, so I can just do it over again.

NeoRaider

Decided to have a go at all the escalation missions that were added and I'm amazed at how much incidental dialogue I'd missed up to that point. They really have stuffed the level with things to observe and overhear.

I'm pretty sure I did for all of them. This wouldn't be an issue if I just knew which the game tracked as unfinished like the challenges, so I can just do it over again.

Here are the actions that explicitly mark each opportunity as completed (as best as I can remember), just in case:

- As Kruger, have the meeting with Margolis.
- As a bodyguard, have Decker follow you to the back pavilion.
- Follow the reporter to the interview spot.
- Insert the laptop dongle in the laptop.
- As the sheikh, sit in the sheikh's chair at the auction.
- Go out onto the light rig.
- Activate the fireworks remote.

Demoskinos

Decided to have a go at all the escalation missions that were added and I'm amazed at how much incidental dialogue I'd missed up to that point. They really have stuffed the level with things to observe and overhear.

Its one of the best things so many little incidental storylines an dialog. The world feels active and alive.

Some new screenshots for Sapienza, be warned one of them contains a spoiler for the level (a location in said level).

Location could probably be guessed from the first trailer but if you want to be completely spoiler free then I'd avoid them.

Well at least put the non spoiler ones (which I think the briefing of the mission will spoil it, so ehhh)

GOv6Rrw.jpg

phiQAwA.jpg

UThoDZ7.jpg

Moff

It looks so good. O.O
I got it for PC few days ago, not sure should i play Paris and Sapienza then play chapters as they release them or should i wait for full game to be released...

I said that many times before, but this game is so much better if you play it episodically. not just is the franchise as a whole predestined for that because of it's traditionally huge replayability, but they really turned if up to 11 in this installment with all the challenges, opportunities, mission mastery, escalations, contracts and coming elusive targets. but most importantly, the levels are just massively huge. If this was not an episodic release, the size of the levels would be wasted. I loved blood money, but I didn't play the levels more than say 10 times, even my favourite ones.
in hitman 2016, I spent 20 hours on the paris level alone, I finished it probably more than 100 times, the 10 escalations are already 50. and all the challenges and contracts I did were easily 50 as well. and I loved every minute of it. I would never have done that if I waited for the full release. I would have probably finished a level (this can be done in 1 to 2 hours) and moved on to the next one and I would finish the game in not even the 20 hours I played this already.

if you love hitman, play this episodically

Ozium

Some new screenshots for Sapienza, be warned one of them contains a spoiler for the level (a location in said level).

Location could probably be guessed from the first trailer but if you want to be completely spoiler free then I'd avoid them.

can't wait, looks even better than Paris...

Soo... have i missed any elusive targets yet?

no they should be coming with Sapienza, I think... they delayed them because they wanted to make sure the network issues were ironed out so people wouldn't disconnect while doing an Elusive target

It looks so good. O.O
I got it for PC few days ago, not sure should i play Paris and Sapienza then play chapters as they release them or should i wait for full game to be released...

episodically, you learn more story and things about the characters and their connections depending on how you go through the level, so repeated plays are rewarding .. I think if you just waited til all were out and then did one main mission after another you wouldn't get the same experience.. It's designed to be played episodically

NeoRaider

I said that many times before, but this game is so much better if you play it episodically. not just is the franchise as a whole predestined for that because of it's traditionally huge replayability, but they really turned if up to 11 in this installment with all the challenges, opportunities, mission mastery, escalations, contracts and coming elusive targets. but most importantly, the levels are just massively huge. If this was not an episodic release, the size of the levels would be wasted. I loved blood money, but I didn't play the levels more than say 10 times, even my favourite ones.
in hitman 2016, I spent 20 hours on the paris level alone, I finished it probably more than 100 times, the 10 escalations are already 50. and all the challenges and contracts I did were easily 50 as well. and I loved every minute of it. I would never have done that if I waited for the full release. I would have probably finished a level (this can be done in 1 to 2 hours) and moved on to the next one and I would finish the game in not even the 20 hours I played this already.

if you love hitman, play this episodically

episodically, you learn more story and things about the characters and their connections depending on how you go through the level, so repeated plays are rewarding .. I think if you just waited til all were out and then did one main mission after another you wouldn't get the same experience.. It's designed to be played episodically

Thanks, that's what i'm gonna do.

Just one more (stupid) question. Except for the main chapters (episodes) that they are releasing. Is there anything else to do? I mean i know that you can replay every episode many times and get little different experience each time but is there anything else? I see that ppl are talking about online, but i am not even sure what it is about. lol

I really need to install it and start playing, but there are so many games waiting to be played.

Thanks, that's what i'm gonna do.

Just one more (stupid) question. Except for the main chapters (episodes) that they are releasing. Is there anything else to do? I mean i know that you can replay every episode many times and get little different experience each time but is there anything else? I see that ppl are talking about online, but i am not even sure what it is about. lol

I really need to install it and start playing, but there are so many games waiting to be played.

Not a stupid question. Basically with the escalations and contracts and whatnot, the scenario is the same but your targets are different. Viktor and Dahlia are still in their respective spots doing their routines, but they won't necessarily be your targets, and a lot of the escalations in particular will challenge your knowledge of the level and of where things are located, because the restrictions are pretty varied.

Ozium

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/hitman/artikel/hitman,48985,3270883.html

brief notes: ep 2 Sapienza better than Paris.. Paris felt like an introductory level and Italy feels like a step up, 'virtually better in every way" tons of secrets...

Unlike the elitist fashion show in Paris we feel Sapienza really as part of a living system from tens of residents going about their daily affairs. This is also true for the Mafia property in which we can move freely thanks to chef clothes.
The game world is huge . Bigger than any other Hitman area has ever been. Feeling even more extensive than the fashion show in Paris.

Moff

that's exactly what I expected from sapienza looking at it's size

this will easily be the best game of the franchise

So no Elusives this week? I thought they said shortly before Sapienza.. meaning the week prior.

It may well be released during the PAX East panel this weekend for maximum exposure, since it is supposed to be time-limited.

Would be bad if people missed the first one because they didn't know about it.

Edit: Had a great run going on Hexagon Protocol up to level 4, but level 5 really messes with the timing. I don't even think there's anywhere to hide the last body if I can't just exit the mission instantly...

Top Bottom