• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

So hyped for this based on the reception.

Quick question though....

One of the main complaints about the first episode was how rigid some of the scripting seemed (e.g. the same thing would trigger based on the player's location) - have they adjusted this at all?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I don't believe you do.

Skipping Paris means you skip what Paris unlocks through Mastery. 47's trademark gun is unlocked that way.

The silverballers? What mastery rank do you need? I didn't like the Paris mission that much but I love Sapienza and I definitely want the 'ballers.

Moff

One of the main complaints about the first episode was how rigid some of the scripting seemed (e.g. the same thing would trigger based on the player's location) - have they adjusted this at all?

no, a lot of it is still scripted, and in my opinion it needs to me in such huge levels.
Usually the scripting makes sense, though. you call someone, you turn something on that attracts attention, stuff like that.

Many of the opprtunities that lead to safe kill methods are triggered by a dialogue between NPC's and that dialogue is always triggered by your location.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe this game exists. Like, I feel genuinely grateful. Weird.

Jintor

it's interesting how much better I feel it is now that the challenges can be obscured.

There was an argument going around when Paris first dropped that they hadn't reaaaally done anything new because, oh yeah, all these opportunities were in the old games they just never surfaced them, and now that they were guiding you more into the opportunities there wasn't such a sense of discovery. I think with the customisation options this hits the perfect middle ground of guiding you to things but without just straight up telling you hey here's what you gotta do.

In the old days discovery was pretty opaque, often to the point where the only way to find out how to do things was watercooler talk (in real life or on forums) that would often more or less directly tell you how to do things, and when you couldn't hide the instructions in Paris that felt kind of like that. But Sapienza... man, I'm excited to find out. Some are pretty obvious, but some I'm really curious about what sequence of events I need to trigger to do what I think the Challenge is for for some of these obscure ones. I still haven't even touched the fort yet. And yesterday I found this whole area I hadn't seen the first time looking around that looks like it[s a setup for an escalation mission or a remix mission or something.

I hope they rework the biolab though. I don't find it very fun.

no, a lot of it is still scripted, and in my opinion it needs to me in such huge levels.
Usually the scripting makes sense, though. you call someone, you turn something on that attracts attention, stuff like that.

Many of the opprtunities that lead to safe kill methods are triggered by a dialogue between NPC's and that dialogue is always triggered by your location.

I think my issue with Paris was that some of the opportunities almost felt too hidden - as in I'd have to hang around locations to try and trigger them rather than just running about and interacting with random things.

Playing with the opportunities fully visible had the opposite effect - making it feel too easy.

Probably speaks more about my playstyle and patience than anything. The location looks far more interesting to me this time round, and I'm sure I'll love it.

With this and MGS5, should be a good weekend for stealth!

Jb

Just finished my first playthrough of Sapienza and I enjoyed it so much more than Paris. The majority of the level feels organic and beautiful in a way that reminded me of my summer vacations in Italy. It's exciting and varied and I hope the remaining levels build upon its strengths.

That said I still hate that they didn't get rid of the x NPCs can see through y disguise mechanic. Nowhere is it more annoying than in the biolab, which feels like a small level from Absolution where you spend most of the time taking cover behind boxes and following one of the 3 obvious paths to your objective.

Honestly the mission would have been so much better if they had just cut that entire section from the level.

Moff

I don't really mind the see through mechanics, I like the idea of a supervisor who can spot you, it makes sense
but theres really far too many of them in sapienza, it makes you act too much like in a stealth game, and they no longer have the mechanic from absolution that let you shortly cover your face

vpance

Lab isn't that bad, there's a lot of walls to hide behind. They're slow to become suspicious too so running works. You can always just get into the biohazard suit anyways.

Jintor

the other thing is their way of indicating 'supervisor' enemies is entirely ui dependent, which is a pretty minor issue but still kinda annoying because there's no way of knowing ahead of time (or if you turn off UI indicators) who's gonna bust you

also there should be a cleaner way of indicating if you're tresspassing, since sometimes it's not obvious which uniforms will let you go where. This one's on me though, I might have a UI indicator turned off but I don't know what.

tchocky

the other thing is their way of indicating 'supervisor' enemies is entirely ui dependent, which is a pretty minor issue but still kinda annoying because there's no way of knowing ahead of time (or if you turn off UI indicators) who's gonna bust you

also there should be a cleaner way of indicating if you're tresspassing, since sometimes it's not obvious which uniforms will let you go where. This one's on me though, I might have a UI indicator turned off but I don't know what.

Under the map it will say trespassing so if you have that switched off you would not know until you get caught.

Jintor

maybe it might be worth turning that UI indicator back on... I think it also activates the COMPROMISED indicator, right?

on the other hand I'm doing fine without it, so i dunno. Maybe i'll put it on for elusive targets.

tchocky

maybe it might be worth turning that UI indicator back on... I think it also activates the COMPROMISED indicator, right?

on the other hand I'm doing fine without it, so i dunno. Maybe i'll put it on for elusive targets.

Yes also if the guards are searching or if it is a hostile area.

What I think they could do for disguises is on the map maybe add a red shading for trespassing areas.

Meneses

The Subdue-Kill bug is really dampening my enjoyment, and there's a guard in the lab that always triggers it. I think i'm gonna leave it until it's fixed.

I also had a big immersion brealing moment (that happened twice) when doing the
romantic encounter with the lady scientist: random guards just go through her supposedly private room, because it has 2 doors and they use it as a way of moving around.

At least I wasn't spotted, which would have been really lame.

Also, if you go out in the village dressed in that outfit,
people refer to you by his name, even though you look nothing like him - and he's supposedly a well known "ladies man" in the area, so the girls would know

This annoyed me lol

But in general the level is pretty great.

Foffy

Banned
The silverballers? What mastery rank do you need? I didn't like the Paris mission that much but I love Sapienza and I definitely want the 'ballers.

I forget the Mastery rank, but I believe you get it before Level 10.

As an aside, is it just me or does the game have buggy audio on PS4?
Breaching charges have no sound when they get set off.

vpance

I'm amazed at how many distinct areas there are in this level. Not sure if they'll be able to outdo this, but I hope they can.

The other hype thread about ep. 2 made me check this out and I just did first playthrough of Paris and wow. Hitman is back and maybe better than ever. Good stuff. I hope this gets the recognition it deserves.

Jintor

Also, if you go out in the village dressed in that outfit,
people refer to you by his name, even though you look nothing like him - and he's supposedly a well known "ladies man" in the area, so the girls would know

This annoyed me lol

But in general the level is pretty great.

I kinda wish they keep adding more and more contrived reasons why 47 looks nothing like the people he's impersonating but people just accept it. I was fully expecting the
private eye disguise to be dismissed with "Oh, I see you've changed your face again" or something

I don't really mind the see through mechanics, I like the idea of a supervisor who can spot you, it makes sense
but theres really far too many of them in sapienza, it makes you act too much like in a stealth game, and they no longer have the mechanic from absolution that let you shortly cover your face

I don't really mind it because it kinda makes sense who can see through your disguise in this one. Especially down in the lab which is a fairly small workforce creating a deadly virus so they likely would know each other.

Double D

If I start a game and knock out the virus objective and manual save, can I finish the level, then keep loading up that save to keep completing challenges but also skip the virus thing?

People who complained about that were... well, not very attentive. I'm thinking of the RPS review right now...

In some of the missions in older Hitman games, they used a loop system, where all the events repeated again and again, like the Opera where they did infinite rehearsals with the same cycle of things happening, or people going A->B->C->D->A again.
You can argue that scripting being triggered by your proximity is totally unrealistic. Well, surprise, an infinite loop ala Groundhog Day is also unrealistic. In both cases it's a concession to gameplay.

And they clearly have chosen this specific concessions instead of the "repeating cycle" style because it was the most appropriate when you have scenarios four times bigger than before and three time more dense. Think, if all the scripting would start without your presence at the start of the mission, most of it would have passed while you were exploring the possibilities of some corner of the map. Now the game is more sandbox than before, and therefore new methods are needed to make it playable. A realistic scripting for npcs would make sense for much smaller, tighter levels where you have your attention on a short list of targets and events.

I think more people should be suspicious of the scientist outfits, honestly. If I saw a guy running through a beach in a hazmat suit, I'd be REALLY fucking worried.

justjim89

People who complained about that were... well, not very attentive. I'm thinking of the RPS review right now...

In some of the missions in older Hitman games, they used a loop system, where all the events repeated again and again, like the Opera where they did infinite rehearsals with the same cycle of things happening, or people going A->B->C->D->A again.
You can argue that scripting being triggered by your proximity is totally unrealistic. Well, surprise, an infinite loop ala Groundhog Day is also unrealistic. In both cases it's a concession to gameplay.

And they clearly have chosen this specific concessions instead of the "repeating cycle" style because it was the most appropriate when you have scenarios four times bigger than before and three time more dense. Think, if all the scripting would start without your presence at the start of the mission, most of it would have passed while you were exploring the possibilities of some corner of the map. Now the game is more sandbox than before, and therefore new methods are needed to make it playable. A realistic scripting for npcs would make sense for much smaller, tighter levels where you have your attention on a short list of targets and events.

This is my opinion on the scripting as well. I'd much rather have it this way, where events rely on scripting and only happening once vs. the characters running the same 10 minute loop constantly.

KORNdoggy

I think more people should be suspicious of the scientist outfits, honestly. If I saw a guy running through a beach in a hazmat suit, I'd be REALLY fucking worried.

i'd be more worried about a guy running around on the beach in a plague doctor suit..but nope. it's like it registers as civilian clothing. lol

Meneses

I kinda wish they keep adding more and more contrived reasons why 47 looks nothing like the people he's impersonating but people just accept it. I was fully expecting the
private eye disguise to be dismissed with "Oh, I see you've changed your face again" or something

I guess most of the time they have that covered by throwing in a line like "these people have not met, so they won't recognize you", so that's not too bad.

It's one of those "it's a game, we need to make this work easily" things, just like every outfit magically fits 47 perfectly even though he's obviously taller / more buff than almost everyone.

Jintor

I don't really mind it because it kinda makes sense who can see through your disguise in this one. Especially down in the lab which is a fairly small workforce creating a deadly virus so they likely would know each other.

I'm hoping I'm missing a super disguise in the same way the psych disguise breaks most of the mansion over its knee

I guess most of the time they have that covered by throwing in a line like "these people have not met, so they won't recognize you", so that's not too bad.

It's one of those "it's a game, we need to make this work easily" things, just like every outfit magically fits 47 perfectly even though he's obviously taller / more buff than almost everyone.

Oh I don't need them to justify it, I was just hoping for a running gag

MUnited83

For you.
The most jarring thing is when you see someone on the phone with someone, then you take out that person , call the same person they were talking with, and they don't notice the completely different voice from supposedly the same person that talked to them a minute ago.

Like, I dont mind passing as them easily, just the phone conversations.

Like, I can buy Dália meeting Agent 47 as Helmut without having issues with the voice because people can have their voices sound really weird through a phone. And I can buy the scientist woman thinking you are the gardener because you are in a place with low light , you are wearing his clothea, and Agent 47 doesn't speak a single line. And if you stand up from the chair, she'll realize you are not that guy and be alarmed. Thats cool and it makes sense, its just the calls that feel super jarring. They should replace the phone calls by text messages instead.

taoofjord

This new level is awesome but man does the performance suffer compare to the first level. I think I may have to wait for the next line of GPUs to come out just to play it! (On a 970 now).

MUnited83

For you.
This new level is awesome but man does the performance suffer compare to the first level. I think I may have to wait for the next line of GPUs to come out just to play it! (On a 970 now).

Have you played after the last patch? Game performs great on my 970, better than Paris.

I don't know if I'm just going crazy but my camera seems really close to 47 all of a sudden? The bottom of the screen ends at his waist but I'm sure I could see his legs when I was playing in Paris.

Did they change the camera or was it always like this?

I really hope that that Eye for an eye redacted challenge is what I think it is, because if it is then that is probably the most ridiculous kill in a Hitman game ever, and that's saying a lot.

i'd be more worried about a guy running around on the beach in a plague doctor suit..but nope. it's like it registers as civilian clothing. lol

I tried to horn in on the costumed guy juggling on the beach or whatever with the plague doctor suit and he got really pissed off at me :( Lets share the tourist money, bro! But yeah I think the plague doctor suit is fine on the beach, most would assume its just a photo op costume guy.

I'm playing on a 970 and while I was getting 20-40 fps in the previous patch, now I am at a rock steady 60 always (gSync). Try maybe using the nvidia optimizer, it changed a few settings for me. I also went back to Direct3D 12 from 11, in the previous patch 12 was crashing all the time but it seems fine.

I gotta try some of the things in this thread, they sound absolutely awesome. Starting as a villa guard is also hilarious, kind of makes you wonder how the hell 47 got up there.

This is a good explanation and certainly puts it in a new perspective for me.

I guess I 'yearned' for the repeating cycle because of how much I've played Blood Money and how those cycles helped me learn some of the assassinations.

I'll play Sapienza with this in mind. Had a quick play around earlier and already love the new setting.

Deadstar

This isn't really a complaint. The game is based around you doing something and it causing an effect. These things have to be scripted so you can kill the targets in certain ways. It's not a bad thing.

I'm calling it. GOTY 2016 even without seeing the rest of the levels. Boom. Or is it 2017 : |

Hitman is easily the goty so far this year. I haven't finished Dark Souls but that will probably be close.

The one disappointing thing is that it appears that the same music is used in every level? How can this be? How can they get away with something like this?

Yeah, I wasn't into the proximity triggers when I played the beta. But now I don't really have a problem with it continuing to replay levels. I usually have a slight idea about how I want to go about doing the mission and what challenges I would like to tackle and plan my routes accordingly.

Yeah, I wasn't into the proximity triggers when I played the beta. But now I don't really have a problem with it continuing to replay levels. I usually have a slight idea about how I want to go about doing the mission and what challenges I would like to tackle and plan my routes accordingly.

In Paris I liked how you could get one guard out of your way on a key route just by never going near him and triggering a conversation that starts his patrol.

By the end the level has turned into a big machine where you know where all the levers are and when to pull them.

If you start in the kitchen in Sapienza the current escalation challenge is trivial, I'm not sure if they heard some complaints that the first one in paris took too long or something but I breezed through this one in a couple minutes.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
If you start in the kitchen in Sapienza the current escalation challenge is trivial, I'm not sure if they heard some complaints that the first one in paris took too long or something but I breezed through this one in a couple minutes.

there's one for Paris that is dead simple. You literally just run down the stairs and kill someone.

I don't know if I'm just going crazy but my camera seems really close to 47 all of a sudden? The bottom of the screen ends at his waist but I'm sure I could see his legs when I was playing in Paris.

Did they change the camera or was it always like this?

I noticed the same thing when playing. Were you in a pretty tight indoor area? That's what I think was causing it for me.

Depending on how much you've unlocked some escalations are a bit of a joke imo.

Top Bottom