• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

Onemic

Of course it is. This is the goty this year and it only costs $15 to try it out. If you don't like it then it's not a huge amount of money lost, or do a steam refund. This is a great game. There have been a few pc issues but none at the moment are game breaking.

Music aside, this is the best Hitman game ever made.

Nice. Is it true that this game has always online DRM? This is pretty much a deal breaker for me because I have a pretty inconsistent ISP.

I always, always get hung up on trying to do escalations in the most convoluted way.

Here's the escalation where you have to blow up two people and I'm already trying to come up with a way to get them both with one explosion.

How do you trigger Caruso's evacuation?
I don't know if there's more to it than I think but
I had to trigger an alarm in the lab while Caruso was in the lab because of another alert. I know shooting at him or using the USB device to destroy the virus while he's in the lab will trigger it from my experience

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
How do you trigger Caruso's evacuation?
I did it by doing the thing about his dead mother. You have to turn on the gramophone, the chair lift then ring the service bell. He will walk in and you suppose to turn on the fan so the chair moves and he has a panic attack and faints but I forgot so he walked in, freaked out and ran away. Not sure if that was a bug or what really but he ran and I couldn't stop him in time so he escaped.

I decided that my second run should be silent assassin, suit only. Actually pretty tense when you don't really know the map yet. My route:

Destroy the virus by breaching the secret passage and using the dongle.
Enter the mansion by the underground passage coming up out of the garage.
Spend ages distracting the two guys standing by the limo with a brick.
Waste too much time trying to get through the putting green and set up the exploding golf ball.
Sneak all the way around the cliff path to the observatory.
Without quite knowing how I did it, trigger Caruso to enter the downstairs observatory alone. Drop the solar system on him.
Climb up onto the rooftops, cross the attic, and set up De Santis to be electrocuted.
Go all the way back across the cliff path, drop down the side of the bridge to get to the beach, and run to the motorboat.

I'm constantly amazed how much destruction you can cause in a room, and nobody comes to investigate just because the doors are closed (and there are no gunshots or explosions).

I managed to completely bungle the suit only part because I tried on the
plague doctor
disguise for no reason whatsoever. Had to redo all the actual kills.

Deadstar

Nice. Is it true that this game has always online DRM? This is pretty much a deal breaker for me because I have a pretty inconsistent ISP.

It has always online DRM and there have been issues with people getting kicked offline so you might want to stay away from this then. I personally have been disconnected once in 30 hours of play.

Has anyone figured out how to get into Francesca's bedroom as the
golf dude
? I can't figure out where I need to go.

It has always online DRM and there have been issues with people getting kicked offline so you might want to stay away from this then. I personally have been disconnected once in 30 hours of play.

Has anyone figured out how to get into Francesca's bedroom as the
golf dude
? I can't figure out where I need to go.

The bedroom is attached to the observatory. It's on the bottom floor opposite from the spot on the cliff where the
golf guy makes his phone call

Eye for an eye and Unleash the Kraken are both cool redacted challenges, had a lot of fun figuring them out, the pictures in the challenge screen help a lot. Eye for an eye is probably the most ridiculous kill in a hitman game yet.

thenexus6

The music seems to be very repetitive.

It's a shame about the soundtrack in this game. I usually just turn the background music off, because it sounds very generic and like something you would hear in a spy thriller. It barely adds anything to the atmosphere of the game, unlike Jesper Kyd's music.

Yeah definitely on this new episode. Its just that one track that just loops. Episode 1 was much better.

The main menu, loading screens, finishing mission music is all really cool though.

I miss Kyd alot

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Their servers can be pretty ropey. Both episodes have been plagued with disconnection issues for some people. This boots you to the main menu without saving. A recent patch was released for PC (and is coming to consoles) that allows you to try to reconnect straight away, if that makes any difference.

Offline mode allows you to play the game though you bafflingly can't access any unlockables (weapons, starting locations, starting disguises), Challenges, stats or - more understandably - Live content.

For someone who hasn't purchased this on PC I have a few questions.

1. Has performance been improved since launch? I am running with a GTX 980 and a 3970x and 32gb ram with SSD (GPU and CPU both OC'd) could I get 60fps at 1080p with all settings barring AA maxed?

2. Is it worth buying in terms of content? I heard Paris was kind of lacking in that regard but hearing good things about the second episode and how it has far more replayability.

3.I think I have asked this before but I will ask again, does it have online contracts and can you create online contracts?

1. I couldn't tell you what you'd get with your rig, but I'd say performance has slightly decreased since launch. I was getting a solid 1440/60 in Paris but now my game has frequent drops even at 1080. It seems more like hitching/lag than poor performance though, so there could be a fix on the horizon. Sapienza also has some areas where my game slows to 40fps for no discernible reason.

2. If you're willing to replay the same level over an over again then both levels so far have a ton of replayability. Being able to unlock new starting points in each level (most with their own unique disguise) can take the edge off doing the same level multiple times too. If that's not up you're alley then you'd probably not get your money's worth. Game also has 'escalation contracts', which have you completing an increasingly difficult number of tasks over 5 levels (1. kill this guy, 2. kill this guy and this other guy, 3. kill this guy in this disguise and that guy in that disguise etc.) There's 10 of them for Paris and 2 out already for Sapienza.

3. It does have contracts, but it pales in comparison to Absolution. All of the social (search, friends) features are gone as well as the string of qualifiers for each contract (specific weapon, no disguise change, no bodies found, never spotted etc.). It's basically "kill this person with this weapon in this disguise... if you want, if not you'll just get a lower score". They have said an overall for Contracts is in the works to add (at least some) of these features down the line.

ZeroX03

Banned
I agree The Sigma Illusion isn't a very hard Escalation at all as mentioned earlier, even if you don't start in the kitchen it's easy to get in there with a good disguise. Also the no pacification rule does nothing as you can still kill freely. The final complication is cool at least.

Jb

The music seems to be very repetitive.

It's a shame about the soundtrack in this game. I usually just turn the background music off, because it sounds very generic and like something you would hear in a spy thriller. It barely adds anything to the atmosphere of the game, unlike Jesper Kyd's music.

Yeah I noticed this as well. Obviously I didn't expect something as memorable as Kyd's work but what's there adds almost nothing to the atmosphere of the level. With a level set on the Italian coast you'd think there would be plenty of movies and traditional Italian music be get inspired by...

Interfectum

I dont understand this shit. IO should fix it. Personally I have literally had zero disconnects since Paris launched so I dont know wtf.

It is weird. My brother, who is a huge Hitman fan, to this day can't get through the game without disconnecting. I've checked his router, reset all his connections, tried all kinds of setups... nothing works. I live five minutes away from him and can connect perfectly. I've never had a disconnect.

Side note: This is the only game he's ever had a connection issue with. Can play MMOs, shooters, Mortal Kombat, etc online with minimal lag.

Z_Y

Sorry for the, no doubt, oft repeated question...but I just want to make sure before I pull the trigger.

Is the only downside to purchasing this piecemeal vs the whole experience is that I'll end up paying $5 more for the complete package? Neither storefront make this clear. I just want to make sure I'm not missing any content or really paying a lot more by buying it monthly. Trying to save some money for Doom and UC4 next month.

Guys could you please tell me how i can enable offline mode in this game? Without having to start a mission, waiting for the inevitable server disconnect, which really happens every time (big fucking sigh), being forced back to the main menu and THEN actually being offline and starting a new game.

I already know it's gonna fuck up and disconnect me, so i might as well go offline in the game right away. But how? I can't seem to find it.

If i had known this from the start we wouldn't have bought the full experience, damn pissed now. And just give us the damn option to reconnect.

tchocky

Sorry for the, no doubt, oft repeated question...but I just want to make sure before I pull the trigger.

Is the only downside to purchasing this piecemeal vs the whole experience is that I'll end up paying $5 more for the complete package? Neither storefront make this clear. I just want to make sure I'm not missing any content or really paying a lot more by buying it monthly. Trying to save some money for Doom and UC4 next month.

You will not miss any content.

Guys could you please tell me how i can enable offline mode in this game? Without having to start a mission, waiting for the inevitable server disconnect, which really happens every time (big fucking sigh), being forced back to the main menu and THEN actually being offline and starting a new game.

I already know it's gonna fuck up and disconnect me, so i might as well go offline in the game right away. But how? I can't seem to find it.

If i had known this from the start we wouldn't have bought the full experience, damn pissed now. And just give us the damn option to reconnect.

I think the only way would be to disconnect your console/PC from the internet and then start the game.

Moff

the elusive targets are supposedly time exclusive. they will also award unlockable items/weapons. so there is content you'll miss.

however, we haven't had one of those yet because of the technical issues, so we can't say for sure if IO maybe changed their minds.

I think the only way would be to disconnect your console/PC from the internet and then start the game.

Good lord...man what stupid shit. I'm gonna hold off on playing it until we get that option to reconnect. This isn't worth all the trouble.

tchocky

the elusive targets are supposedly time exclusive. they will also award unlockable items/weapons. so there is content you'll miss.

however, we haven't had one of those yet because of the technical issues, so we can't say for sure if IO maybe changed their minds.

I think you misunderstood the original question they are asking if they will miss any content if they buy monthly as episodes release instead of paying full price now.

thenexus6

I played earlier for almost two hours just exploring.. man this level.

I went down to the beach, in the church, sewers, cliffside, observatory

Z_Y

I think you misunderstood the original question they are asking if they will miss any content if they buy monthly as episodes release instead of paying full price now.

Yea..I probably could have worded it better. I'm thinking of getting the two "episodes" that are available now and then grabbing the new ones as they come. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something or end up paying a lot more by doing that. The elusive targets sound really neat and was the one thing I was upset about that I had thought I already missed.

NeonBlack

Is anyone else getting X-Ray vision guards? I jump in a window only to be met with a guy spotting me from in the basement and knowing my exact location no matter where I go. On PC.

Moff

Is anyone else getting X-Ray vision guards? I jump in a window only to be met with a guy spotting me from in the basement and knowing my exact location no matter where I go. On PC.

are you in the scientist disguise? I had that bug, too

So i just got this game.

I do the prologue missions, i did the paris mission, and im a huge, huge fan so far.

Before moving on to mission 2, i heard contracts were a huge part of this game? So how exactly do they work? Just user created missions? Are they just picking a random NPC and telling me to kill them? Or do contracts get a little more involved than that?

Demoskinos

-crosses fingers for GBeast
Edit: NOOOOOO
watching Brad in the first QL was nothing short of painful - Dan salvaged it. I enjoyed GBeast's QL of the Hitman knockoff so I was hoping they would get a chance at Sapienza.

I actually enjoyed watching Brad bumble around in the Paris stage. Especially with Dan as his co-pilot.

ZeroX03

Banned
I had no idea the town square tower existed until I used it as a starting location. Multiple rooms to explore. I have no idea why they're even there!

I actually enjoyed watching Brad bumble around in the Paris stage. Especially with Dan as his co-pilot.
Like I said, Dan salvaged it. But it may as well have been Dan, himself, playing with the amount of times he had to tell Brad what to do. At least Alex knew how to play the damn genre lol
But I digress - I haven't watched the new one in full yet so for all I know, Brad got better.

MMaRsu

Its fun watching them play but they are BAD at the game lol. Oh well, cant really blame them, but they could have tried to show a few types of assassinations.

Jintor

I had no idea the town square tower existed until I used it as a starting location. Multiple rooms to explore. I have no idea why they're even there!

has to be future content. The place has a shittonne of routes around it, must be a setup for a target.

Demoskinos

Like I said, Dan salvaged it. But it may as well have been Dan, himself, playing with the amount of times he had to tell Brad what to do. At least Alex knew how to play the damn genre lol
But I digress - I haven't watched the new one in full yet so for all I know, Brad got better.

Well that's the thing I think him being so inept in Hitman at least leads to hilarity ensuing where as in other games like his recent return to Dark Souls it ends up being more just frustrating. The entire appeal of the Hitman games is and has always been the multitude of ways you can approach a situation so even if he is bad at it I think at least watching his thought process play out is entertaining.

ZeroX03

Banned
has to be future content. The place has a shittonne of routes around it, must be a setup for a target.

Yeah you're probably right. I was thinking to myself "can you trigger a party or something in here?".

There's lots of opportunities for new scenarios in these maps beyond simple contracts they're so intricate.

ZeroX03

Banned
Just found the church tower. Every new nook and cranny is an exciting opportunity. Lots more sniping points in this level. Plays very diffently from Paris.

And the sewers oh gosh

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Just bought the full Hitman after that QL. I love this franchise, but I wasn't quite sure after Paris. But I love what I saw, and I want to communicate to SE that I support this, so I'm in

Just bought the full Hitman after that QL. I love this franchise, but I wasn't quite sure after Paris. But I love what I saw, and I want to communicate to SE that I support this, so I'm in

That sold you on the game? They were horrible at it. Haha. Hope you like it though. There are so many options its really great.

The new.episode is fucking awesome. So glad that IO pulled off the return to this franchises roots. It's really coming together. I haven't been following that closely, what's the next location?

Top Bottom