• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

c07LwP7.jpg

Thinking about the story so far, I like that it really is about how you shape the balance of global power through assassinations.

On the surface, episode 2 seems to be about just rubbing out a rogue scientist who wants to "democratize" power by making it so that no one is untouchable. But after you finish the level, it seems that
this was also part of an attack by the mystery villain against a powerful organization that you don't even know about.

I would guess that every mission this season will turn out to be tied to one of these power plays behind the scenes, and the ICA and 47 won't even find out about the full consequences of these assassinations. That's what the Legacy trailer was hinting at.

I think most Hitman fans were impressed by Paris when the game launched and now Sapienza makes them look back on it with less love. That's how good Sapienza is.

I've enjoyed going back to Paris and training level/s after new content / fixes were added. Hammer time feat was fun and the blood spatter and more aggressive AI made things feel fresh. I hope they keep adding stuff to "older" levels to increase replay value even further.

If they keep up the level design and improve contracts mode this will definitely be the best Hitman ever released. Getting elusive contracts working will be icing on the cake. Adding some more music would be the cherry on top really just small nitpick for me.

I smothered Silvio with the pillow but the challenge isn't unlocking. What did I do wrong?

edit: never mind, just got it. I got out of the chair then smothered him.

Munin

People who complained about that were... well, not very attentive. I'm thinking of the RPS review right now...

In some of the missions in older Hitman games, they used a loop system, where all the events repeated again and again, like the Opera where they did infinite rehearsals with the same cycle of things happening, or people going A->B->C->D->A again.
You can argue that scripting being triggered by your proximity is totally unrealistic. Well, surprise, an infinite loop ala Groundhog Day is also unrealistic. In both cases it's a concession to gameplay.

And they clearly have chosen this specific concessions instead of the "repeating cycle" style because it was the most appropriate when you have scenarios four times bigger than before and three time more dense. Think, if all the scripting would start without your presence at the start of the mission, most of it would have passed while you were exploring the possibilities of some corner of the map. Now the game is more sandbox than before, and therefore new methods are needed to make it playable. A realistic scripting for npcs would make sense for much smaller, tighter levels where you have your attention on a short list of targets and events.

I don't understand what the big issue would be with the game just being designed in such a way that everything only happens once, but independently of being triggered. So if you're too slow or mess up you will lose certain opportunities, but there would still be more than enough others available. And sometimes you would simply have to be quick or that's it. It would mean you miss most of the stuff on a single run, but given that in the current format, every level is supposed to be replayed a lot anyway, I do not see how that is a problem.

Given that the game is currently said to be too easy, this doesn't seem totally unreasonable.

I don't understand what the big issue would be with the game just being designed in such a way that everything only happens once, but independently of being triggered. So if you're too slow or mess up you will lose certain opportunities, but there would still be more than enough others available. And sometimes you would simply have to be quick or that's it. It would mean you miss most of the stuff on a single run, but given that in the current format, every level is supposed to be replayed a lot anyway, I do not see how that is a problem.

Given that the game is currently said to be too easy, this doesn't seem totally unreasonable.

I think the issue is that lots of players wouldn't even know they have missed something, if there are lots of things running on parallel and the map is big enough.
Or even if they know it because Internet, sometimes the timing would be off. For example, it would have already happened and they would have to reload, or if you schedule it much later so that doesn't happen (in minute 15 instead of minute 5), it would need too much time sometimes if in a run the player just want do that specific opportunity and that's it. Making the triggers mostly player dependant it's a total contrivance but improve accessibility and control of the gameplay. Videogames are so full of contrivance, like the healthkits healing you in an instant in a shooter, that I don't even know why some people fixated on that.

Speaking of, I noticed if you mess up with the psychiatrist like putting the venom on his food, but then you fail to knock him up (because I was being hunted in that moment by the guards ¬¬) he stops waiting eternally on the gelateria and go to his meeting with Caruso.

Onemic

Their servers can be pretty ropey. Both episodes have been plagued with disconnection issues for some people. This boots you to the main menu without saving. A recent patch was released for PC (and is coming to consoles) that allows you to try to reconnect straight away, if that makes any difference.

Offline mode allows you to play the game though you bafflingly can't access any unlockables (weapons, starting locations, starting disguises), Challenges, stats or - more understandably - Live content.

ugh, I wont bother then.

It's funny that the people who buy the game legitimately are the ones who get the inferior version.

Deadstar

So I just put the
cannon ball and gun powder
into the
cannon
while Silvio was
practicing his golf swing
and then I
blew him up.
What a fantastic game!

I think the issue is that lots of players wouldn't even know they have missed something, if there are lots of things running on parallel and the map is big enough.
Or even if they know it because Internet, sometimes the timing would be off. For example, it would have already happened and they would have to reload, or if you schedule it much later so that doesn't happen (in minute 15 instead of minute 5), it would need too much time sometimes if in a run the player just want do that specific opportunity and that's it. Making the triggers mostly player dependant it's a total contrivance but improve accessibility and control of the gameplay. Videogames are so full of contrivance, like the healthkits healing you in an instant in a shooter, that I don't even know why some people fixated on that.

Speaking of, I noticed if you mess up with the psychiatrist like putting the venom on his food, but then you fail to knock him up (because I was being hunted in that moment by the guards ¬¬) he stops waiting eternally on the gelateria and go to his meeting with Caruso.

Right. This isn't Majora's Mask, where you need to fast-forward time if you don't want to wait hours to meet someone.

Also, it's great that there is a real version of the psychologist session. Hopefully in every mission you get to compare a scripted event with and without 47 taking someone's place.

Fury451

Banned
I done the training mission and then the real game opens up and boy it's overwhelming.

Hitman back to its best it seems <3
To me so far, it's at least as good as Blood Money.

Few odd gripes- close combat system when cornered by guards needs work-not being able to take hostages makes fake surrender when surrounded by more than one person basically useless. No ability to defeat more than one enemy hand to hand is also limiting- I don't want Arkham Asylum combat or anything, but being able to strike two close guards with like a QTE would be nice.

The way being recorded works is also really iffy to me at times.

The shooting feels like butt compared to Absolution- that was the one thing I really liked about that game.

And...that's basically it so far. Few other nitpicks, and especially with the online garbage, but it's so far along the best of the series, with a ton of replay value.

MUnited83

For you.
ugh, I wont bother then.

It's funny that the people who buy the game legitimately are the ones who get the inferior version.

? The people who get it legitimately are the only ones that can play it in the first place. Game wasn't been pirated yet, and it probably won't for quite a while. And even if it was, they would just have access to the inferior offline version regardless...

ZeroX03

Banned
Fwiw, other than tonight's server maintenance I've never had trouble with the servers and always online.

I want to eavesdrop on that scene.

The little dialogues are great.
For example if you impersonate the golf coach and call in De Santo, the conversation branches based on what you've done. Rat poison in the wine? She thinks you just pulled a spoiled bottle. Lethal? She cries betrayal as she dies. Fun stuff.

Pedersen

Bought episode 2 and it downloaded, but now it's just waiting to install. And yes it's the correct region. Can I really not buy it standalone?? I have tried re-downloading...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Paris looked okay, but I really was waiting to see if they'd nail the second mission before I dropped the full $60. Super glad it looks like they did

Jb

Is it me or is the blood splatter always black? I know the less oxygenated blood is the darker it gets but this is suspicious. Maybe every NPC in the game is actually an android.

Moff

somehow it amuses me that drowning someone in a toilet counts as an accident
is that really a thing? police find someone drowned in a toilet and are like "yeah, poor souls, happens all the time"

brau

somehow it amuses me that drowning someone in a toilet counts as an accident
is that really a thing? police find someone drowned in a toilet and are like "yeah, poor souls, happens all the time"

does it really? i only drown them to do a challenge and only to the targets. I wonder if its a bug.

Audioboxer

To me so far, it's at least as good as Blood Money.

Few odd gripes- close combat system when cornered by guards needs work-not being able to take hostages makes fake surrender when surrounded by more than one person basically useless. No ability to defeat more than one enemy hand to hand is also limiting- I don't want Arkham Asylum combat or anything, but being able to strike two close guards with like a QTE would be nice.

The way being recorded works is also really iffy to me at times.

The shooting feels like butt compared to Absolution- that was the one thing I really liked about that game.

And...that's basically it so far. Few other nitpicks, and especially with the online garbage, but it's so far along the best of the series, with a ton of replay value.

Shooting does seem garbage-tier. Serviceable but meh. Good thing is I hardly ever want to fire in the Hitman games, unless it's a sniper rifle.

Bought it today. Said it couldnt connect as soon as I launched the game, alright, might just need to log in once from the menu. When I did the first 10 seconds of gameplay and the cutscene afterwards was done, it fucking disconnected me again. What the fuck. Great first impressions, thought that shit would be fixed by now.

Fuck IO.

MUnited83

For you.
hahaha it sounds like a bug.

Was it the same way in Paris?
Yeah, its the same way jn Laris, the game just makes every drowning a accident.

Btw, one thing that I love that its back: pushing people into a not deep at all grave kills them instantly. I like the silliness of it

Fury451

Banned
Shooting does seem garbage-tier. Serviceable but meh. Good thing is I hardly ever want to fire in the Hitman games, unless it's a sniper rifle.

True, which is why it's not too much of a bother, because it's not the focal point and is wholly unneeded.

It was interesting how much better Absolution did it though, because it made it kind of a fun option for replays or messing around.

thenexus6

So I just put the
cannon ball and gun powder
into the
cannon
while Silvio was
practicing his golf swing
and then I
blew him up.
What a fantastic game!

I recall there also being a challenge for
shooting down his plane
with the cannon..

1.05 Update Highlights

Reconnect Option
If a player is playing in online mode and gets disconnected during gameplay, they will have the option to immediately reconnect and resume play without losing any progress, instead of returning to the main menu.

Immediate Challenge Awards
Challenges are now awarded and saved immediately upon completion, rather than when completing a mission.
Patch Notes

MMaRsu

Its really fucking annoying when a dev doesnt mention patch notes on ps4, just asks me to go to their website. f that noise. Every other game shows patch notes so why cant you?

I love this new Hitman game but I still feel IO is pretty out of touch with their own fanbase.

And yeah the shooting in Blood Money was a lot better than this. Dont know how they can still fuck up basic shit like no sniper suitcase.

Is this the same team that did BM or are those guys mostly gone?

Randdalf

Its really fucking annoying when a dev doesnt mention patch notes on ps4, just asks me to go to their website. f that noise. Every other game shows patch notes so why cant you?

I love this new Hitman game but I still feel IO is pretty out of touch with their own fanbase.

And yeah the shooting in Blood Money was a lot better than this. Dont know how they can still fuck up basic shit like no sniper suitcase.

Is this the same team that did BM or are those guys mostly gone?

My friend was asked to do a survey after Episode One and in the "features you would like to see in the future" part, sniper briefcase was one of them. So it's almost certainly coming at some point.

Egg0

Banned
Is there a way to watch that movie at the beginning of the Sapienza mission? I downloaded this yesterday, booted it up and there was a cut scene at the start, but I skipped it.

Now I'm trying to play and the cut scene doesn't start. It rolls right into the game.

Edit: NVM found it on the planning screen.

Ozium

Is anyone else getting X-Ray vision guards? I jump in a window only to be met with a guy spotting me from in the basement and knowing my exact location no matter where I go. On PC.

did you reload a save?

I had that bug on PC after loading a save, I went to walk on the roof tops leading to where Francesca is and was spotted from all directions, and then was being hunted and shot at...

I started a new game and went to the same spot and it was fine..

----

edit: I've played Italy a bunch and done kills a variety of ways, other challenges,etc. and I STILL have not been in the ruins (I assume it's that dilapitated castle structure next to his mother's grave) and I still have not been to the church at all..

Just spent like 3 hours playing the Sapienza level, it's so damn good!

I was trying to get the Silent Assassin challenge and I'm positive I did not get spotted by an enemy or kill any non targets. I even got the bonus for no bodies found. I did get spotted by a camera in the mansion area, but I found the security center and destroyed the evidence. Any ideas on why I didn't get the challenge?

Top Bottom