• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

You know, I never actually follow the "Opportunity" trails, but I do really enjoy being able to browse the challenges, and don't feel like it compromises my experience at all. Just seeing the endpoint gets my mind racing about how to get there, in a way it wouldn't if I had to stumble on stuff naturally. I never in a million years would have thought to drop Dhalia on top of Viktor, but when I saw it as a Challenge I had a ton of fun figuring out how to make it work (turns out its a lot simpler than I thought)

For episode 2 I tried not looking at them at all until I figured out the obvious ones from context. Then I start looking at them with pictures only and try to guess from that. After episode 1, some challenges start getting obvious just by looking at them (or looking at their pictures), so this retains some of the mystery.

This also helped to keep how
the evacuation is triggered
under wraps as a big surprise for me. I was just completely caught off-guard by this, leading to a very tense run that ended in failure. Then I was pleasantly surprised that this enabled a unique method of assassination I hadn't seen at all.

And I guess it's also to prepare us for what will happen if we
screw up elusive targets

One thing that IO needs to do is separate the "puzzle" challenges from the "skill" challenges somehow. Like, it makes no sense to hide all text for the vampire magician challenges, because that's to test your skill and not figuring out a puzzle.

Bebpo

Banned
Playing the hell out of this. Haven't touched Ep2 yet, just did everything possible in the 2 Intro stages and am about halfway through all the Paris stuff after 15 hours.

I really like how the Escalations work. When I first did Paris the map was totally overwhelming with so many parts to it and NPCs everywhere. But each time I did an Escalation (x5) I learned something new about the map. I learned where the keys are, or where the crowbars are, or the quickest way up and down the floors, or the best way for a security uniform, or what the security cameras are, or where to find a specific NPC and how to take them out and grab their outfit.

Going back into the main map after doing like 4 or so Paris Escalations, I went from no idea how to play, to totally badass stealthing the whole map picking up lots of great items as I go, disabling things, and getting fun opportunities for lots and lots of unique kills.

Some stuff is occasionally a pain in the ass, though part of it is sometimes I just have no idea how to get around a situation, like with Dhalia's bodyguard who trails her 5 feet behind even when she's following you to a place secluded (don't really have a good strategy yet for when there's more than one person around and coins can't separate them). Though the game can be a little buggy still. But it's worth it for the freedom and tons of fun. I looked through the challenges and I have no idea how to do about half of the kills. I figure the rest of the escalations will help teach me some of the stuff I'm missing. It's great when you learn how to weave through a group of enemies undetected.

Framerate is a disaster on my rig most of the time when there's lots of npcs, but eh, game is still great fun. Looking forward to learning more of the Paris map and then heading to Ep2.

Bebpo

Banned
Oh yeah, is there any way to wake up a knocked out person? Like how you can kick them in MGS? Because it sucks in Escalation if you need to kill them with a specific weapon and you accidentally had the weapon hidden and chokeholded them unconscious and you can't hurt them now with melee weapons.

Yes, I restarted a lot of escalations due to accidentally having the wrong item equipped.

I think the only way to wake them up is to let someone else find them.

Just got The Sapienza Trinity. So glad I didn't look up how it's supposed to be done. I didn't even do one part the intended way (
put a remote mine on the plane instead of using the cannon
- so impressed that there's more than one way to do it).

Eye for an Eye was amazing and I'm also glad I didn't look up that one.

Also, very amused by the bodyguard search routines when you've made one of the targets vanish without a trace.

Oh yeah, is there any way to wake up a knocked out person? Like how you can kick them in MGS? Because it sucks in Escalation if you need to kill them with a specific weapon and you accidentally had the weapon hidden and chokeholded them unconscious and you can't hurt them now with melee weapons.

Not sure if it would always work but sometimes if you can alert someone else to their unconsciousness, they will wake them up.

This game sure does have some weird glitches/bugs when it comes to the challenges. It's been really my only problem with the game thus far but it's been ongoing and annoying. I couldn't get a few challenges to pop even though I knew 100% sure I did them right. Even simple shit like Kraken that I KNOW I did right well, because.

So I noticed earlier tonight, it didn't give me credit for doing the Sigma Escalation which I clearly did because it was complete. But the challenge never showed up. So I figure, eh, that's easy, lets just replay the last level of it. I did and on the score screen, a shitload of challenges finally popped in as done, and I did none of them on this Escalation. Lol, weird shit.

I hope they get this fixed cause I HAVE to check off every box on games like this or it bugs me. All I have left are the Elusive targets, which I can't do yet and a SASO in Paris and I've done that at least 10 times now with no credit. Oh and some hammer shit at the ICA which I haven't figured out yet.

Outside of these challenge bugs, I absolutely love this game.

Jintor

Ugh can't WAIT for more HITMAN

man a rock show would be great. Anything where you can kill someone on stage is amazing. That's why the Opera was great and that's why Showstopper was also pretty good.

This game sure does have some weird glitches/bugs when it comes to the challenges. It's been really my only problem with the game thus far but it's been ongoing and annoying. I couldn't get a few challenges to pop even though I knew 100% sure I did them right. Even simple shit like Kraken that I KNOW I did right well, because.
I did the challenges required for Sapienza Trinity and never got the trophy. :(

What do you have to do for the hammer time challenge?

I haven't tried it yet, but the developers have been hyping that one up as content inspired by community feedback, so the information is out there. Apparently you need to
knock out every guard in the yacht tutorial with a hammer.

I did the challenges required for Sapienza Trinity and never got the trophy. :(

I still got it even though I didn't do everything exactly as required:

I used the pillow during the therapy session, put a remote mine on the plane instead of using the cannon, and did the telescope as intended.

Maybe you have to make sure the plane explodes in midair instead of just stopping on the water?

Thorgal

it never stops amusing me : you cannot put away a shotgun in your pockets which is logical .

That said you can happily store multiple guns and knives a bouquet of flowers , lots of coins , a crowbar , a soda can a pair of scissors and multiple other other things into your black hole inhabiting trouser pockets
:p

BibiMaghoo

It would be nice if items that can get through a frisk were marked as such, I've walked through with a lockpick and a fiberwire, but I have no idea what else works. Maybe it is all equipment and only guns show up, but I don't really want to chance it with an explosive.

DukeBobby

Hopefully, we'll get a Marrakesh release date later this week or early next week.

June 7th is my guess, which would give me a week to play through Blood and Wine.

What do you have to do for the hammer time challenge?

Only knock people out on The Final Test with a hammer. Handily there's one right by the bit of fence you jump over.

I haven't tried it yet, but the developers have been hyping that one up as content inspired by community feedback, so the information is out there. Apparently you need to
knock out every guard in the yacht tutorial with a hammer.

That would be a heck of a challenge to try and pull off.

Only knock people out on The Final Test with a hammer. Handily there's one right by the bit of fence you jump over.

That would be a heck of a challenge to try and pull off.

I knocked EVERYONE out at the little army base or whatever it is, by throwing hammers. I assumed that's what you had to do. Either that's not it or I got challenge glitched again. There's like 4 or 5 hammers around the map.

I knocked EVERYONE out at the little army base or whatever it is, by throwing hammers. I assumed that's what you had to do. Either that's not it or I got challenge glitched again. There's like 4 or 5 hammers around the map.

Ouch, that was harsh.
I managed it with knocking out just the colonel, the soldier protecting the target, and the target himself before snapping his neck. Just grabbed the hammer at the start, shimmied up the drainpipe and did them all in.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It would be nice if items that can get through a frisk were marked as such, I've walked through with a lockpick and a fiberwire, but I have no idea what else works. Maybe it is all equipment and only guns show up, but I don't really want to chance it with an explosive.

Explosives don't work. I got stuck in Paris for a while because I brought in a proximity mine as part of my loadout, and I couldn't drop it without it going off, so I couldn't get upstairs.

I wish there were either more mastery levels or more points were required to level up. You reach level 20 so quickly. I'm at 20/20 on Paris and Sapienza but looking through the assassination challenges there are still a ton in each that I haven't done yet, particularly in Sapienza.

Explosives don't work. I got stuck in Paris for a while because I brought in a proximity mine as part of my loadout, and I couldn't drop it without it going off, so I couldn't get upstairs.

Can you dump them in the wastebaskets (in bathrooms) to dispose of them as you can with firearms? This way they are retrievable later as well.

Ouch, that was harsh.
I managed it with knocking out just the colonel, the soldier protecting the target, and the target himself before snapping his neck. Just grabbed the hammer at the start, shimmied up the drainpipe and did them all in.

Thanks. I'll have to try it again. Did you throw them or just hit them with it?

Thanks. I'll have to try it again. Did you throw them or just hit them with it?

Threw it each time although I wouldn't be surprised if you're allowed to melee them with it. For some reason I took the long way back out without changing outfit, but I'd imagine you can put on the Colonel's uniform and waltz out the front gate without it affecting the challenge.

Hopefully, we'll get a Marrakesh release date later this week or early next week.

June 7th is my guess, which would give me a week to play through Blood and Wine.

I was just hopping in this thread to see if there'd been any word on Marrakesh. Hopefully this week.

I still can't believe how much they're nailing this game. Aside from NPC chatter, which I REALLY wish they'd mixed up a little more (accents based on region, not having the standard guard VA), this is as good as Hitman has ever been.

Yeah, I hate how everyone in Italy and France speak in English with bog standard American accents.

I feel like for gameplay purposes you actually want the guards to have the same lines in every level, if only so that it's easier to recognize the audio cues for guard reactions.

Would it be an improvement to record things like "huh?" and "wait a minute" in a different accent for every level? ...It might actually sound kind of silly.

vpance

I don't agree that there is much similarity in the design.

The interconnectedness is quite good in Sapienza. Takes the same kind of thinking to make levels like that.

There is one part that seems kind of useless. That little area with the bakery and souvenir shops overlooking the beach are mostly decorative, but still, nicely designed. Easy place to get a guard or cleaner uniform though.

I feel like for gameplay purposes you actually want the guards to have the same lines in every level, if only so that it's easier to recognize the audio cues for guard reactions.

Would it be an improvement to record things like "huh?" and "wait a minute" in a different accent for every level? ...It might actually sound kind of silly.

Well the guards lines are usually really specific, aren't they? Lots of "No waiters through here" or "Can't let ya through buddy". Some simple variants on that would go a long way to improve the (already admittedly fantastic) sense of immersion. Beyond that their body language is usually pretty clear.

I'd even go further to have some lines localised where it makes sense with locals (around the villa in Italy for example) and have subtitles. I appreciate that this isn't an opinion shared by most.

Still, accents would be great. Compare Assassin's Creed Italy with Italian accents to the catastrophe of Assassin's Creed French with British accents.

Can someone clue me in on the subject of leaks? Once again a bunch of target info & images from Marrakesh have leaked and I did post links when the same happened for Sapienza, but I still haven't got the hand of what is and isn't allowed.

Also, Elusive Targets are "a few weeks away" according to the official @Hitman twitter.

We're going to be more than halfway through this game's life before they get these things out, despite them getting top billing on the why-HiTMAN-should-be-episodic list.

w0s

I don't know why but Episode 2 is kicking my ass. I did 1 just fine (won't say it was easy) but man 2 has me all kinds of fucked up.

ZeroX03

Banned
I don't know why but Episode 2 is kicking my ass. I did 1 just fine (won't say it was easy) but man 2 has me all kinds of fucked up.

Give it a couple of tries. Same thing happened to me. Clueless for first few runs. Now what took me hours I can do in minutes.

Bebpo

Banned
What's a good way to tackle the Paris Escalation where you need to kill one guy with an AR and one guy with a Shotgun in the basement? Since neither are silenced, it seems challenging, but maybe that's because 20 hours in I haven't used anything but melee/thrown items, environment kills and a few silenced pistol headshots. Not sure how to deal with loud weapons not making a scene.

Also are the only ARs on the bodyguards? I'm guessing the best starting place is IAGO auction -> bodyguard on balcony pickup AR -> Slide down pipe -> Enter basement?

Man, this game is so fun. Did a couple of Vampire Magician runs and Suit only runs and they were super sloppy but I made it through getting some of the Vampire Magician kills. How do you do the electrocution one though? I don't think I've seen any electrocution opportunities in Paris. Same with the flaming barrel kill during fireworks.

Also is there no "Mr. Reaper" in the paris map besides
47?
Because when you crash the laptop for the auction, Dalia comes in and I thought she says something like "Get Mr. Reaper on the phone", so I thought he was a story character like Mr. Decker.

Man, Paris is so good. One of the best maps I've ever played in a stealth game. There's just so many layers to it and so much to learn. I've put like 13 hours into the map and I'm still discovering new stuff constantly. Almost finished with all the escalations, and then will be fun trying to get the last challenges I'm missing like killing the purple model guy and hiding his body without being seen. Looking forward to Sapienza, but probably need to take a break after I clear Paris since I think I'm gonna be burnt out by 25-30 hours in.

At this point there's only 2 things I'd like the developers to change by the time this hits final: 1) Not stalling character routines until the player sees them. Just have them all start when the map starts on their own, and 2) A way to kick knocked out enemies to wake them up. That plus framerate optimization and the game would be perfect.

This is probably my GoTY so far and it's the first Hitman game I've given a real chance since Blood Money.

Give it a couple of tries. Same thing happened to me. Clueless for first few runs. Now what took me hours I can do in minutes.

I find it's always gonna be like that. I think doing the escalations, especially to level 5 really helps learn parts of the level and all combined teaches you how to get through the whole location undetected.

ArjanN

Also is there no "Mr. Reaper" in the paris map besides
47?
Because when you crash the laptop for the auction, Dalia comes in and I thought she says something like "Get Mr. Reaper on the phone", so I thought he was a story character like Mr. Decker.

If you directly go the auction and sit down without a disguise, Dalia will come in and 47 will introduce himself as "Tobias Reaper". It's a reference to Hitman 1 where 47 used the alias Tobias Rieper.

There's a couple of extension cords outside you can sabotage, I think you need a tool like a screwdriver or something.

For the AR/shotgun escalation you don't even need to leave the basement if you smuggle the default AR into the basement stairwell. Plus you can get away with even loud gun kills if you don't get seen shooting, and also drop the gun and leave the scene of the crime quickly.

The explosive barrel in Paris is next to a van right beside the gated back pavilion.

I find it's always gonna be like that. I think doing the escalations, especially to level 5 really helps learn parts of the level and all combined teaches you how to get through the whole location undetected.

I got the intro pack day 1 so didn't do all the escalations until long after finished everything else in Paris but when I did finally do them I was amazed how much I learned and how much they improved my SA / SO and planning skills. I know they aren't for everyone but I really dig them and look forward to new ones when they get added.

I got the intro pack day 1 so didn't do all the escalations until long after finished everything else in Paris but when I did finally do them I was amazed how much I learned and how much they improved my SA / SO and planning skills. I know they aren't for everyone but I really dig them and look forward to new ones when they get added.

I'm so fucking bad at them it's not even a joke. I love hitman so much but God I'm like the worst at it. Or at least at being stealthy and shit.

Remember when everyone was asking if you can actually use the virus on your targets and we all thought the answer was no?

Just read a new discovery on reddit and went to check it myself. Turns out the answer is yes.

This game.

Top Bottom