• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HIV epidemic in Indiana county after Governor Pence opposes needle-exchange program

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefro

At least he's flipped on the needle-exchange program now.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32072498

The governor of Indiana has declared a public health emergency after an HIV outbreak "reached epidemic proportions" in part of the state.

Scott County, a poor area where needle-sharing by drug users is common, has seen 79 new cases in recent weeks - up from an annual average of five.

Governor Mike Pence has authorised health officials to implement a needle exchange programme - a remedy he has opposed in the past.

HIV is the virus that causes Aids.

"Scott County is facing an epidemic of HIV, but this is not a Scott County problem; this is an Indiana problem," the governor said.

"With additional state resources and new tools provided by this emergency declaration, I am confident that together we will stop this HIV outbreak in its tracks."

The outbreak was first identified in late January. Since then, officials have diagnosed 79 people with the life-threatening virus - up from 26 cases just one month ago.
The HIV virus causes Aids and is easily transmitted by needle sharing

State officials said the governor's emergency declaration provides additional resources for officials to coordinate a response to the "outbreak of HIV that has reached epidemic proportions".

State epidemiologist Pam Pontones said almost all of the cases originated from illegal drug users sharing syringes.

A large majority of the victims had shared a needle with an infected person while injecting Opana, a prescription painkiller.

Officials expect the number of infections to rise, and are working to contact as many as 100 other people linked to those with confirmed cases.

The order will authorise local health officials to create a temporary needle exchange programme under the supervision of the state health agency.

Mr Pence, a Republican, has opposed such programmes in the past on the grounds that they are not effective in controlling drug use.

On one hand, good. Needle exchanges and drug treatment programs are better than letting people die on the streets, or forced into prison. On the other hand, it's completely disgusting how Pence is using this to distract from the Religious bill. It's not a coincidence these both happened on the same day.

but seriously this is what happens when you make health decisions based on your moral beliefs not on data supported research.

Bleepey

Exactly how it sounds. You turn in used needles and get clean needles. Helps stop re-using needles that may have been used by someone HIV positive.

Accompanying these programmes include outreach workers who try to educate about safer drug use as well as refer people to other social services.

Velcro Fly

Yeah spend my tax dollars to give junkies clean needles

I'd rather you spend my tax dollars on a place to house them where they won't be able to do drugs

Sheroking

I'd rather you spend my tax dollars on a place to house them where they won't be able to do drugs

You do that, too. It makes petty criminals into worse criminals and does nothing to stop drug addiction.

shira

it basically just is the government providing clean needles for drug users so they aren't sharing, I don't even think we should have exchanges. Just give them out.

One point of the exchange is to give a "safe point" in that person's life and make contact with healthcare workers. A friendly hello. Interested in quitting? Anything we can do for you? Do you need condoms? Do you need testing?

The alternative is nothing. Reuse needles, no hope, no condoms, no testing.

it basically just is the government providing clean needles for drug users so they aren't sharing, I don't even think we should have exchanges. Just give them out.

Preventive policy, which is always effective. The conservative argument against it is that by handing out needles (or condoms) you're "promoting" destructive (ie sinful) behavior. In the real world people are going to get high no matter what, so it makes sense to at least make sure they aren't contracting horrible shit like HIV which becomes a public health problem.

Buying needles costs a lot less than treating HIV.

commedieu

Banned

Why not? The government loses more of your taxes on golf courses for congress..and paying banks back that robbed the nation blind. Your taxes are spent on social services as well. So, you're just posting your opinion on people with addiction issues, as well as ignorance of where your taxes are being spent. Now HIV patients will be treated on your dime..

oh the horror. Must be nice to be able to shit on people for no valid reason.

Velcro Fly

Like.. a prison?

not quite.

i'd much rather see rehab offered as well.

giving them needles is only going to stop them from contracting HIV. It's not going to stop the actual problem.

also this has been going on for a few months now. Pence was probably too busy beating down the rights of gays to really care about this.

edit: i'm actually FROM Indiana, hence my tax comment.

Jedi2016

Mr Pence, a Republican, has opposed such programmes in the past on the grounds that they are not effective in controlling drug use.
What an idiot... needle exchanges are not, and never have been, about controlling or reducing drug use. It's been about this very topic; stopping the spread of infectious, particularly blood-borne, diseases.

One point of the exchange is to give a "safe point" in that person's life and make contact with healthcare workers. A friendly hello. Interested in quitting? Anything we can do for you? Do you need condoms? Do you need testing?

The alternative is nothing. Reuse needles, no hope, no condoms, no testing.

I'm not arguing against having that. I think that comes with giving them out too. I'm not calling for giving a hundred needles but likes a weeks worth so they have to be in touch and providing consoling and health care if they want it.

Not taking back the used needles defeats the whole purpose.

How? You're providing them with clean needles. Why would they use the old ones if they have clean ones?

Enzom21

Those are called prisons and they aren't working. We need treatment facilities that offer treatment as well as mental health assistance.

Needles are cheaper than HIV meds.

Not your tax dollars either, btw.

not quite.

giving them needles is only going to stop them from contracting HIV. It's not going to stop the actual problem.

Ah.

You're trying to make perfect be the enemy of good.

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

not quite.

also this has been going on for a few months now. Pence was probably too busy beating down the rights of gays to really care about this.

edit: i'm actually FROM Indiana, hence my tax comment.

How much of your taxes do you want to pay for rehab for drug addicts, I'm curious.

YoungFa

not quite.

It stops the actually problem of diseases spreading, which it is what it was designed for.

There is always someone who proposes to dismiss a working solution to an actual problem in favor of an unproven unimplentable idealistic solution to a different problem.

YoungFa

I'm not arguing against having that. I think that comes with giving them out too. I'm not calling for giving a hundred needles but likes a weeks worth so they have to be in touch and providing consoling and health care if they want it.

How? You're providing them with clean needles. Why would they use the old ones if they have clean ones?

Ever been to a playground?

Insite in Canada costs $500,000 a year to run. This includes needle exchange, mental health services, and addiction treatment. How the fuck are you going to house drug addicts for less than $500,000 a year? And you know what?

And from Wikipedia here are some of the positives:
Additional research in the Canadian Medical Association Journal suggests that the site has reduced public injections, neighbourhood litter, and needle sharing.[17] Two studies in the journal Addiction and in the New England Journal of Medicine indicate that patients at the site have increased their use of detoxification services and long-term addiction treatment.[18][19] Furthermore, research in The Lancet indicates that the site substantially reduces the sharing of syringes.[20] A study in the journal Substance Abuse Treatment, Prevention, and Policy revealed that local police facilitate use of Insite, especially among high-risk users. The researchers concluded that the site "provides an opportunity to... resolve some of the existing tensions between public order and health initiatives."[21]

A 2008 cost-benefit analysis of the site in the Canadian Medical Association Journal observed net-savings of $18 million and an increase of 1175 life-years over ten years.[22] Another cost-benefit analysis published in the International Journal of Drug Policy in 2010 determined that the site prevents 35 cases of HIV and about 3 deaths per year, indicating a yearly net-societal benefit of more than $6 million.[23] A 2011 study in The Lancet found overdose deaths have dropped 35% in the Insite area since it opened, much more than 9% drop elsewhere in Vancouver.[24] An editorial in the Canadian Medical Association Journal noted that after three years of research "a remarkable consensus that the facility reduces harm to users and the public developed among scientists, criminologists, and even the Vancouver Police Department."

So they're spending less money on health, less people are getting sick, more people are getting treatment, and it's helping bridge the gap between the downtrodden and the police. But because you heard "giving needles to addicts" you just assumed it was just junkies getting clean needles and no positives. You are the type of person who is perpetuating addiction by forcing people into situations where they're sharing needles, or going to prison (which costs a lot of money), or not getting the help they need, because there's no where to go.

But continue worrying about your tax dollars going to the needy. It clearly is working.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

You overestimate people. Of course they'll reuse, even unwittingly, since it can be hard to distinguish which are used.

Enzom21

The used ones need to be disposed of. Do you want them to just toss the needles wherever?

theWB27

They're drug addicts.

Thanks war on drugs!

Continue banging your head against that wall and follow up with how that turns out for you.

The used ones need to be disposed of. Do you want them to just toss the needles wherever?

They're drug addicts.

No idea what addiction is.

I know what addiction is but I'm saying if you provide them with new needles you should "require" they bring old ones back. They should be requested and desired. I have a problem with forcing them to bring them back to get clean needles.

Reality is that drug users continue to do drugs no matter what. Drug use is a health care issue. Needle exchange is harm reduction and has been proven to work very well.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
It all makes sense once you realize drug addicts aren't actually people

/s

theWB27

I know what addiction is but I'm saying if you provide them with new needles you should "require" they bring old ones back. They should be requested and desired. I have a problem with forcing them to bring them back to get clean needles.

You have a problem with people trying to get dirty needles off the street? Despite the thread your posting in showing what can happen when dirty needles are left to be passed around? Really odd complaint.

Enzom21

Unless it is mandatory, how are they going to get the used needles? Do you honestly think an addict will be responsible enough to turn in the old needles once they already have new ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom