• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HIV epidemic in Indiana county after Governor Pence opposes needle-exchange program

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

You should read the article. There is a needle exchange now, he flipped on his previous position. His past beliefs are despicable, but he is at the very least now doing the right thing.

Understood but any moron not ruled by bullshit would know that that isn't a sensible way to govern in the first place.

It all makes sense once you realize drug addicts aren't actually people

You jest, but we treat addiction in this country like a crime. A serious one at that. It's probably the least humane way to deal with the issue. Yet we still have people saying things like, "my tax dollars should go to locking these people up" because they're too short sighted and reactionary to see past their own nose.

Dali

Those are called prisons and they aren't working. We need treatment facilities that offer treatment as well as mental health assistance.
That's kinda true, but at the same time many states have what's called drug court where instead of incarceration you complete a program similar to what you suggest.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
You jest, but we treat addiction in this country like a crime. A serious one at that. It's probably the least humane way to deal with the issue. Yet we still have people saying things like, "my tax dollars should go to locking these people up" because they're too short sighted and reactionary to see past their own nose.

I couldn't agree more. The US response to drug addiction is especially baffling, considering the insane costs of the primary response (incarceration). Setting all the human issues aside, which are very real, our enthusiasm for imprisonment is fiscally irresponsible. It makes no sense.

You should read the article. There is a needle exchange now, he flipped on his previous position. His past beliefs are despicable, but he is at the very least now doing the right thing.

Only because his ignorance led to a public health outbreak. I give him no credit for putting out a fire that could have been prevented in the first place.

Lamel

Banned
Wasn't needle exchange looked down upon during the Reagan years too? Didn't work out so hot for the USA. While in the UK needle exchange was promoted and HIV spread started to come under control.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Indiana sounds like a backwards cesspool between this and the religious freedom bill.

kirblar

Wasn't needle exchange looked down upon during the Reagan years too? Didn't work out so hot for the USA. While in the UK needle exchange was promoted and HIV spread started to come under control.
Rural areas are overrepresented in the US Government, slows progress down enormously.

Dali

Not really disagreeing with you but at the same time as I mentioned in a previous post states (perhaps all of them) have separate program for drug offenses which entails rehab,no jail time, and in in the states that aren't backwards... a clean record.

That's kinda true, but at the same time many states have what's called drug court where instead of incarceration you complete a program similar to what you suggest.

You can go to the NADCP site and they openly admit they only get a fraction of the people in the system. The system need to be expanded and money that currently goes to fighting the pushers should be funneled to the root of the problem and fund these rehab programs instead.

Wait, was this opposition a recent thing? It says it started in January the outbreak so unless it was a recent change, I'm not seeing the connection.

Velcro Fly

Indiana sounds like a backwards cesspool between this and the religious freedom bill.

It's even worse when you live in the Chicago suburb part and have nothing in common with 95% of the rest of the state but still get lumped in with them anyway.

My fear is that Pence isn't going to get the results he wants immediately since I'm sure there are those with HIV already that won't be saved by a clean needle and that instead of keeping at it and working first to treat a symptom and then later on go after the problem, he'll just want to flood the area with a drug busting task force or some shit and it will be awful.

I'll admit I wanted to treat the drug problem first and that approach is probably not the best. I'd rather see him keep up with the needle exchange program to go after the short term problem and then down the line try to turn people away from drugs.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Hmm, that's not logical. Was it a recent change that didn't allow this? Because if not, they're not linked.

How would any other sequence of events make more sense?

He opposed it before he reversed his decision

He reversed his decision after the breakout.

The breakout did not happen before he opposed it, because it was before this year that he opposed it and the breakout happened this year.

How would any other sequence of events make more sense?

He opposed it before he reversed his decision

He reversed his decision after the breakout.

The breakout did not happen before he opposed it, because it was before this year that he opposed it and the breakout happened this year.
When did he start opposing it then? That's literally what I'm asking. I don't see it in the article

I'm so fucking sick of ideology over pragmatism.

Do what works.
Well, fault him for his past, but it sounds like Pence is doing that now. So better late than never? He could have doubled down on the dumb here.

Tragic situation. Hopefully it gets resolved with all due haste.

davepoobond

Then the thread title is bullshit, it didn't cause this outbreak to occur.

Don't be so sure. Here's a local news outlet that has more info about the law:

http://wlfi.com/2015/03/26/indiana-allows-needle-exchange-program-to-stem-hiv-outbreak/

Pence, a Republican, said officials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention who arrived in the county Monday said it would be “medically appropriate” to authorize some type of needle-exchange program to help stem the infections.

Such programs are illegal in Indiana, and Pence has opposed needle exchanges as part of drug-control efforts. But his order allows Scott County officials to request state approval for a limited, short-term program.

Its his policy. He was governor since 2013.

http://wishtv.com/2015/03/26/pence-declares-public-health-emergency-amid-hiv-outbreak/

It’s something Pence has a long record of opposing as an anti drug policy.

“If the legislature sent me a broad based needle exchange bill, I would veto it,” he said. “I don’t believe that effective anti drug policy involves handing out paraphernalia to drug users by government officials. I reject that.”

davepoobond

That still doesn't prove the thread title isn't bullshit. This still doesn't prove he started it either like you keep suggesting.

1. Governor Pence has a long-standing opposition to needle-exchange program.
2. HIV Outbreak Occurs after #1.

I don't know what is bullshit about the thread title. I don't think anyone is saying Mike Pence is going around sticking people with HIV needles, but its not like his policy helped curtail the outbreak since we know that needle-exchange programs tamp down outbreaks.

its like being opposed to getting a flu shot, you get the flu, then blame it not on you getting the flu shot but the fact that it would have happened anyway.

there are things you can do to prevent things like this, and if you don't do it you are being irresponsible, or at least you shouldn't be surprised it happened.

in this case, he's the gatekeeper to preventing people from doing a needle exchange program which resulted in 70+ people getting HIV.

1. Governor Pence has a long-standing opposition to needle-exchange program.
2. HIV Outbreak Occurs after #1.

I don't know what is bullshit about the thread title. I don't think anyone is saying Mike Pence is going around sticking people with HIV needles, but its not like his policy helped curtail the outbreak since we know that needle-exchange programs tamp down outbreaks.

its like being opposed to getting a flu shot, you get the flu, then blame it not on you getting the flu shot but the fact that it would have happened anyway.

there are things you can do to prevent things like this, and if you don't do it you are being irresponsible, or at least you shouldn't be surprised it happened.

in this case, he's the gatekeeper to preventing people from doing a needle exchange program which resulted in 70+ people getting HIV.

He became governor in 2013. Unless he changed the status quo to his beliefs it's not possible for him to cause it.

alejob

Wait a second...

We are giving drug addicts needles so they can get inject themselves?

Might be cheaper to give them a bullet.

davepoobond

Wait a second...

We are giving drug addicts needles so they can get inject themselves?

Might be cheaper to give them a bullet.

HIV might be a little more important since it can affect more than just drug addicts...

of course, telling people to kill themselves and/or spread HIV sounds like great alternatives to handing out clean needles in exchange for dirty HIV-laced needles.

davepoobond

I knew this was coming. Take all their needles maybe?

I don't see how you can be pissed at the Governor though. Two wrongs don't make a right. Just doesn't sound right to me.

Do you suggest stopping and frisking a whole state for their rogue needles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom