• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

Power Pro

I have a captivated audience while I'm playing tonight :messenger_grinning_smiling:

kKA1EMW.jpg

ABeezy1388

I will go to Charms class in a minute…

*three hours later across the other side of the castle*

REVELIO! REVELIO! REVELIO!

…this game hits that exploration dopamine centre HARD.

10000% lol. I did the same thing, then once I finally made it Hogsmeade it was another 3 hours. I’ve played this all dang day just exploring the limited areas and hitting revelio millions of times haha

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I've lost track of time and just finished a siixteen hour session I'm that hooked. The room of requirement added another two hours as my inner interior decorator/designer came raging to the surface. Thank the lord there isn't a garden. Hogsmeade tomorrow to pimp out my new digs.

uyoOHam.gif

Amazing game. I haven't felt addicted like this in a long time.
Yup this is one of those games that just gets you hooked. When I'm not playing it i'm thinking about it and when I can play again. It's up there with Elden Ring, BOTW, Persona 5, The Witcher 3, Nier Automata. Those are the games that were constantly in my head and I could sit play them for hours on end. These days I struggle to sit for an longer than an hour but playing Hogwarts there is not enough hours in the day. I'm kicking myself for using up all my work holidays. If I could take a week off right now I'd be dead to the world lol.

Freeman76

From now and ever more, any time one of them "if you could play any game again for the first time" threads pop up, I know my answer.

No game has hit me in the feels like this one. Getting to Hogwarts, being told I need to go to Hogsmeade for school supplies, all while realising the game is actually very well detailed and all my fears of it being a 'jack of all trades master of none' were wrong. Incredible experience.

One of the first games where I just don't fast travel. I had to go Hogsmeade for a quest, and meant to sell all my shit while I was there. Handed the quest in, got back to Hogwarts, realised I forgot to sell my shit, and just walked straight back there.

Usually if this happens in a game I'm internally saying 'fucks sake' and reloading a save, but I didnt even give it a second thought because the gameworld is that nice to walk around in.

I really hope they support this game going forward, it's a masterpiece.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
One of the first games where I just don't fast travel. I had to go Hogsmeade for a quest, and meant to sell all my shit while I was there. Handed the quest in, got back to Hogwarts, realised I forgot to sell my shit, and just walked straight back there.
When open world games get you to do that, you know they did something right. I am looking for the same feeling as I start this now.

One game that gave me the same, “why should I fast travel?”, feeling was Ghost of Tsushima (and also Spider-man).

Meicyn

Gold Member
Any trophies/achievements for playing the game on hard?
Nope, but it‘s worth playing if you want the most “real” feeling game with enemies being a genuine threat. It’s not From Software game difficulty, but enemies are very aggressive, and reaction windows for countering and dodging are brief. Enemies hit hard, which makes sense given you’re playing as a kid, even if they are a walking sociopath of magical destruction.

Turning off most of the UI with difficulty set to hard mode makes for what I think is a peak immersive gameplay experience. I usually don’t bother trying to get all trophies in games, but I will for this one.

CSJ

Ricky actually got BANNED?? That sucks...he's actually really cool with trans people. People seriously cannot take a joke these days. I'm trans and I thought it was great! 😅

Christ, hitting a button to bring up a game gets you banned? lmao.

"Excuse me, excuse me!!! Point of personal privilege; everyone please pay attention specifically to me!!! I am offended!" /s

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I interacted with a random statue of Merlin. Ended up in a new area within Hogwart's. Really cool sequence with Repairo.

Pilgrimzero

Finally unlocked Talents at like level 16. I guess I was supposed to do it around 5? I had a lot of talent points to spend lol.

When/How do you add traits to clothes?

This game keeps blowing my mind. I just discovered I can transmog all my gear! So i'm boosting my stats and keeping the basic hogwarts student look. Maybe I'll change it up a bit as I get further in.

Now I can use herbology stuff in combat (Professor Garlick tho.... so cute). I have some cabbages! Now the game wants me to brew potions and shit. I didn't expect it to be this in depth. I'm honestly feeling a bit overwhelmed. Reading stuff seems to suggest it's only get more crazy. I've not go to the room of requirement yet which will be a huge time sink if it's what I think it's gonna be...

Combat is clicking for me now. Expelliarmus spell is so useful. Finally beat the round 3 of the dueling thing.

I'm still lost exploring inside Hogwarts lol. I can't remember how to get back to my common room lol. I remember walking up some stairs but I can't find it.

Last edited by a moderator:

nath999

Since we only
This game keeps blowing my mind. I just discovered I can transmog all my gear! So i'm boosting my stats and keeping the basic hogwarts student look. Maybe I'll change it up a bit as I get further in.

Now I can use herbology stuff in combat (Professor Garlick tho.... so cute). I have some cabbages! Now the game wants me to brew potions and shit. I didn't expect it to be this in depth. I'm honestly feeling a bit overwhelmed. Reading stuff seems to suggest it's only get more crazy. I've not go to the room of requirement yet which will be a huge time sink if it's what I think it's gonna be...

Combat is clicking for me now. Expelliarmus spell is so useful. Finally beat the round 3 of the dueling thing.

I'm still lost exploring inside Hogwarts lol. I can't remember how to get back to my common room lol. I remember walking up some stairs but I can't find it.

I came here to ask if we can transmog our gear. I hate so much that my character looks goofy af in cutscenes. I just finished my first herbology and potions class, when can I do this?

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Since we only

I came here to ask if we can transmog our gear. I hate so much that my character looks goofy af in cutscenes. I just finished my first herbology and potions class, when can I do this?

Yes, look at the dialog windows. On PS5 it's square to change cosmetics.

Sentenza

You can change difficulty at any time. So just change to story and unlock all the locks and change back after. My controller left stick has stick drift and it hasn't been that bad for me.
Yeah, but I was playing the entire playthrough at Hard, so I wasn't exactly willing to change difficulty only to skip a time sinker.

ShadowNate

I like it so much when games allow you to change difficulty at any point.
It makes some grinding stuff so much easier, but also allows to check out the more challenging modes when bored from... too much easiness :D

And you can freely check out how the game changes in any difficulty setting.

It's a great feature in my book.

We're definitely making use of it in-game -- thank you for confirming it can be done. I was wondering about it but hadn't actually bothered to check yet in-game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I hate the dirty screen lens effect when you look at the sky or bright lights.
This game got a terrible fingerprinty mask

TheAssist

Only played 3 hours so far, but I like it. The environments are amazing, the materials looks absolutely incredible and I love hpw they made Hogwarts a place were you actually get lost all the time with so many small routes. However, some issues bug me. The character animations and voice acting is ... not great. The characters all look late PS3/360 or early PS4 era and the voice acting is sometimes very amateurish. You can hear that the game was being recorded during Covid. No way these people are sitting in the same booth. Maybe its just because I came right of GoW which is on another level when it comes to this stuff.

Also there are alot of graphical glitches like doors appearing and disappearing, the weather is sunny when you look up but when you turn the camera down its raining and so on.
Nothing too bad, I'm still having fun, but it still needs some polish.

Since we only

It can be easy to miss cause I just noticed it lol. Like EviLore EviLore said you gotta go into the gear tab. You have to have the item equipped first and from the screen where you can see all your gear (headwear, hands, robe, broom, wand handle, etc). Once it's equipped hover over it and there will be an option to change the appearance. You can't go into say your headwear and see all your hats and change it from there. You gotta back out.

From what I understand what you need to do with gear is is if you get any new stuff that has higher stats then equip it then change appearance. There is no reason to keep hold of anything else because one you unlock/receive a piece of gear it's appearance is saved and you can just change your high stat gear to look like it. It might seem strange but you want to be constantly selling everything and only keeping the highest stat stuff you have. At least that's how I understand it so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
From what I understand what you need to do with gear is is if you get any new stuff that has higher stats then equip it then change appearance. There is no reason to keep hold of anything else because one you unlock/receive a piece of gear it's appearance is saved and you can just change your high stat gear to look like it. It might seem strange but you want to be constantly selling everything and only keeping the highest stat stuff you have. At least that's how I understand it so far.
This is the case until you unlock the RoR. Once you can upgrade gear, you might end up holding onto gear with lower base stats until you can upgrade a newer item to the same level.

This is the case until you unlock the RoR. Once you can upgrade gear, you might end up holding onto gear with lower base stats until you can upgrade a newer item to the same level.
Yeah I had an idea that this probably wasn't the right way to go for the entire game. I noticed you can mod/upgrade the gear because some of them have slots. I'm not that far in yet :)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How does it look though? I am on PC running the game on a 3080 which is almost 2x more powerful than the PS5 and man the framerate is a mess in hogsmead. 45 fps. game doesnt even look that good indoors. like its missing AO or shadows. then you outside and it looks stunning.

But yes, this game is special. I am getting that Rockstar caliber feeling from this game. The world is full of life and other details. The music really makes you feel good just being in this game.

It looks alright, but not all that technically impressive. The lighting is pretty bad, on performance mode at least. The SSAO is probably the worst I've maybe even seen.

How does it look though? I am on PC running the game on a 3080 which is almost 2x more powerful than the PS5 and man the framerate is a mess in hogsmead. 45 fps. game doesnt even look that good indoors. like its missing AO or shadows. then you outside and it looks stunning.

But yes, this game is special. I am getting that Rockstar caliber feeling from this game. The world is full of life and other details. The music really makes you feel good just being in this game.
i was running at ultra with RTX on ultra. the game looks great i think but RTX causes a LOT of stuttering. I have a 4080 and I need to have DLSS with frame generation to stay above 60fps. Now I'm running it without RTX at mostly ~130fps. I still think it looks great but yeah could do with better AO. I wish I could enable RTX AO without the stuttering mess.

Ogbert

Gold Member
Love it.

They’ve captured the magic (pun intended). Most enjoyable game so far on PS5.

Only the flying sucks. Wish you could change the controls.

nicoGec

Playing on a PS5-OLED C1 in the balanced-40fps/120hz mode with VRR enabled, game feels and looks great.

I’m disappointed that there was no option to change the voice language, I was stuck with spanish voices and the workaround I found was to force the console to delete the Spanish pack and download the English pack to have the english voices.

Last edited:

Kirkio

How come everyone else's screenshots look fantastic and on my TV it looks washed out alot of the time?

I've played with the brightness and hdr settings but still no bueno plus its an older 4K samsung set. Maybe it's the TV? I've got a C1 in the bedroom would that fix it?

Freeza93

Banned
How come everyone else's screenshots look fantastic and on my TV it looks washed out alot of the time?

I've played with the brightness and hdr settings but still no bueno plus its an older 4K samsung set. Maybe it's the TV? I've got a C1 in the bedroom would that fix it?
Why playing on a led with oled in tha house?

Kirkio

Why playing on a led with oled in tha house?
I did have the PS5 set up on the oled until a few weeks ago and the games looked incredible mostly.

I set it up in the living room ready for PSVR arriving in a few weeks because there's more space. I don't trust my 2 year old with an Oled in the living room or I'd just upgrade that TV, he has an incredible throwing arm and he likes throwing things ha

JFC which psychopath decided it was a good idea to put L/R on the left thumbstick and Up/Down on the right thumbstick while flying? On what planet is this kind of control scheme a good idea?!

They really need to separate gear equip and transmog so you aren't sitting there manually re-applying your cosmetic overlays on every single piece of gear every time you upgrade to a new piece. And they should also implement cosmetic gear sets too so you can just push a button to equip your preferred appearance.

Last edited:

Urban

Hey boys,

is it just me or is the sound a lil bit off?
I have the PS5 version with x90H and a Samsung q950a Soundsystem and sometimes the sound is pretty loud and sometimes way to down.
In PS5 Settings i have Linear PCM activated

any Ideas?

So the next time someone tries to tell you with a straight face that graphics don't matter you need to shove this game up there ass!

The amount of detail and sense of wonder you get exploring this world is incredible and would be seriously diminished on lesser hardware.

We will see what the last gen versions look like I guess. But the magic (lol) would be seriously lost on ps3/360 level hardware..

The games pretty good as well!

Top Bottom