• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Put in about 16hrs so far. Game is a double cheese burger pizza ice cream sundae. That is to say, it's got DNA from so many different open world games I'm losing track.

It's great, magic in fact. I think it hinges entirely on how much you appreciate the world - whether you've ingested the books/films or not - but that's fine, all I expected was a 7/10 game wearing a Harry Potter skin, but the game itself is actually pretty endearing when you aren't just hopping from Merlin trial to Merlin trial.

Will finish, think I'll go for 100% but we'll see what that actually entails.

I'm at the Jackdaw quest. Stupid map had me run right through the forbidden forest which is full of lvl 20 enemies :messenger_tears_of_joy: Maybe it's the quickest way back but the whole point of this part of the quest is to go into the forest and I'm obviously not levelled up enough but why wouldn't just route me back the way I came? If this ghost dude wants me to go in there and fight enemies I'm not doing it.

I'm stuck at one of the merlin trials. I need to light 3 torches but I need to climb up some rocks to get to them. I don't know how the hell I am meant to light them before they get extinguished. There is no enough time but I suspect I will be able to upgrade my spells. The incendio spell doesn't have great range.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sometimes I see chest icons on the minimap, but there's nothing there. What's that about?

Also, one thing I find rather annoying is that picking up a new side quest will make that the active one automatically. That's usually not what I want.

Last edited:

Jaybe

Deciding between getting this for my XSX or getting this for a soon to be bought PS5.

A couple questions:
  1. For those that have played it, is the Haunted Hogsmeade Shop quest that’s currently exclusive to PlayStation for at least a year really great (pls no spoilers) or just another quest… and secondly, would you say that should influence what version to buy?
  2. Is this one of those games where DualSense implementation is stellar or just okay?
Thanks

How do I open those chests with eyes? I thought when I got Expelliarmus that I could blast em in the eye but that doesn't work lol.
Sometimes I see chest icons on the minimap, but there's nothing there. What's that about?

Also, one thing I find rather annoying is that picking up a new side quest will make that the active one automatically. That's usually not what I want.
If a chest is showing on the map but you can't see it even with Revelio then it might be below or above you.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Deciding between getting this for my XSX or getting this for a soon to be bought PS5.

A couple questions:
  1. For those that have played it, is the Haunted Hogsmeade Shop quest that’s currently exclusive to PlayStation for at least a year really great (pls no spoilers) or just another quest… and secondly, would you say that should influence what version to buy?
  2. Is this one of those games where DualSense implementation is stellar or just okay?
Thanks

Honestly if your getting a PS5 just take advantage of the free extra content and better controller.

No idea about how the controls work outside of the duelsense, but there's this sort of resistance when your spamming normal attacks so you know when to stop, but then you can push through it for your stronger attacks.

But really if your already going to be getting a PS5 there's no reason to not just pay the same price for more content, even if it's small. Took me about 30-40 mins to complete it, but had a unique setting and one of the most unique final phases of a boss fight in a game.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

I'm too weak at the moment. I'm only level 14. They almost wrecked me and I was sprinting through the forest lol. I'll try the quest because I might not even be fighting them. If I struggle I'll come back to it later.

Fly over them and just go to the quest marker, inside there is no lvl 20 mobs

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Yeah, game definetely washes out the image most of the times by itself. You can clearly see it by entering a house, letting the door close and then opening the door without stepping outside. If you look around there's no fog effect at all and image is much more clean and vivid.

As soon as you step outside image becomes considerably more washed out.

Last edited:

Osthyvel

I think the dualsense feeling is really nice in this!

The world feels alive, there is something to discover everywhere, i am 7h in and this is the game that makes me forget about this cruel world we live in for a moment...

Only con sofar is that i cant pause during cutscenes :)

O, and its so refreshing to play a game that dont tell you to put more money in it all the time ♥️

I'm too weak at the moment. I'm only level 14. They almost wrecked me and I was sprinting through the forest lol.
Level scaling/gating isn't very harsh in this game, you can definitely take them at level 14, heck it will be a loooong time before you're level 20 and you'll probably head back there several times before hitting 20, might as well learn how to deal with them now imo.

In the books Hermione sets up S.P.E.W (Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare) because she is disgusted by how they are treated. A lot of characters think she's wasting her time because the house elves love their job and if their job was taken away from them it would leave them without purpose. Eventually she gives up on it.

They are treated very badly and like slaves but they seem to love what they do.

[/URL]
I don't believe she does give up on it, I believe the lore is that she was still working with SPEW while at the Ministry of Magic.

How do I open those chests with eyes? I thought when I got Expelliarmus that I could blast em in the eye but that doesn't work lol.

If a chest is showing on the map but you can't see it even with Revelio then it might be below or above you.
(Answer in spoiler Tags so I don't spoil it for thiose who want to learn on their own)
Turn Invisible

Last edited:

Neolombax

I have a suspicion that theres no Quidditch in this game because the controls for broomstick flight isnt very good.

Im now just trying to unlock all the spells, the combat is becoming much more enjoyable once I realised that the combat challenges actually tell you how specific spells (even spell combos) have different effects on enemies, and can even instakill them. Pretty cool.

Im really hoping they have more content planned for this game. The world was masterfully created that it seems to be wasted if it wasnt expanded upon.

I have a suspicion that theres no Quidditch in this game because the controls for broomstick flight isnt very good.

Im now just trying to unlock all the spells, the combat is becoming much more enjoyable once I realised that the combat challenges actually tell you how specific spells (even spell combos) have different effects on enemies, and can even instakill them. Pretty cool.

Im really hoping they have more content planned for this game. The world was masterfully created that it seems to be wasted if it wasnt expanded upon.
I really hope we get a sequel and it has quidditch in it. I'm really worried we won't get a sequel though. Hopefully the game sells a fuck load of copies that it makes Warner Bros seriously consider another game. This is too good for a one off game.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
What the fuck, I just had some big seemingly important chest that I couldn't open because my gear slots were full, and now I can't open it again?! There's no open prompt at all. I really hate bugs like that.

Weirdly enough I think the item ends up on inventory as soon as you get space. I've came across a similar situation. Didn't had space and couldn't open the chest after first try.

I cleared space and the item was already in my inventory.

Last edited:
As someone who hated the Harry Potter films, I have to say the first hour of this was great. Hopefully it keeps up.
I love HP and would go as far as saying this does justice to the books more than the movies. Mostly I enjoyed the movies but they left so much out and the things they do keep in they don't spend a lot of time on.

I mean, you only see so much of Hogwarts in the movies. Hogsmeade scenes don't really show you all of it or how the students get there. Being able to explore the map makes the world make more sense how it's all layed out and connects together.

The game is really making me want to go back and read the books again because I really think it'll make me appreciate them more and I've read them countless times over the last 11-25 years. Also, it's convinced me that I definitely want a TV show off the books which is much slower paced because the movies just rush through everything. A TV show would be ideal to bring this world to life. The movies had to stuff the entire plot of a book into a 2-3 hour movie. It was fine for the first two movies but the books got bigger and bigger. Imagine if we could get an 8 to 10 x 1 hour episode season per book!

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hope we get a sequel and it has quidditch in it. I'm really worried we won't get a sequel though. Hopefully the game sells a fuck load of copies that it makes Warner Bros seriously consider another game. This is too good for a one off game.
lol, scared we're not getting a sequel? Have you paid attention? It's one of the biggest single player releases ever. We are getting all of the sequels.

lol, scared we're not getting a sequel? Have you paid attention? It's one of the biggest single player releases ever. We are getting all of the sequels.
Yeah, with Warner Bros seemingly scrapping the Wizarding World franchise. I know the Fantastic Beasts movies sucked but they scrapped them and apparantely the plans for a TV show too. So yeah it makes me think they gave up on the idea of any future games.

I know the game is doing well which is why I said I hope it makes them rethink their approach. We need more games like this.

Yeah, with Warner Bros seemingly scrapping the Wizarding World franchise. I know the Fantastic Beasts movies sucked but they scrapped them and apparantely the plans for a TV show too. So yeah it makes me think they gave up on the idea of any future games.

I know the game is doing well which is why I said I hope it makes them rethink their approach. We need more games like this.
They cancelled Fantastic Beasts becauise the movies were AWFUL, and they said they were going to do more wizarding world in the future, not less, so im not sure where your claims come from.

Your fears are completely misplaced and make little sense. They are going to go full steam ahead on a sequel, without question.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
What the fuck, I just had some big seemingly important chest that I couldn't open because my gear slots were full, and now I can't open it again?! There's no open prompt at all. I really hate bugs like that.
Same thing happened to me, I had to reload and destroy stuff in my inventory.

Inventory management is the worst part of this game. Only 20 gear slots and you are constantly getting new stuff. Wish they would give you some magic that lets you sell stuff right from the gear screen

Alright take it easy fuck sake lol.
I think you're being too sensitive, im directly answering your post. It's a post that came across very weird, using the cancelation of an absolutely terrible movie series that nobody watched to predict the future of a game franchise that is selling millions,

Last edited:

Gerdav

I think you're being too sensitive, im directly answering your post. It's a post that came across very weird, using the cancelation of an absolutely terrible movie series that nobody watched to predict the future of a game franchise that is selling millions,
jeez dude lmao i just had a feeling WB were giving up on HP. i'm wrong ok i get it!

I don't think a sequel would capture the magic this game has. Seeing Hogwarts and Hogsmeade in this scale and level of detail

Freeman76

I would prefer them to just keep adding chapters to this so we dont have to wait another 6 years for more.

The way they set it up in seasonal chapters lends itself well to DLC to expand on it. I mean there is so much room to add more, with a few outside locales such as Ministry of Magic for example, add new content to the existing world. The scope is huge but it's anybodies guess where they go with it.

I was expecting a big DLC for RDR2 due to it's insane popularity but they chose to focus on other things so who knows.

Seems like it's selling very well and a prime candidate for more content. People lap up anything HP, and with a massive install base I expect it will be like printing money if they bring out more.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I'm at the Jackdaw quest. Stupid map had me run right through the forbidden forest which is full of lvl 20 enemies :messenger_tears_of_joy: Maybe it's the quickest way back but the whole point of this part of the quest is to go into the forest and I'm obviously not levelled up enough but why wouldn't just route me back the way I came? If this ghost dude wants me to go in there and fight enemies I'm not doing it.

I'm stuck at one of the merlin trials. I need to light 3 torches but I need to climb up some rocks to get to them. I don't know how the hell I am meant to light them before they get extinguished. There is no enough time but I suspect I will be able to upgrade my spells. The incendio spell doesn't have great range.

I'm almost certain it didn't route you through those spiders. They are definitely there though but you can avoid all the higher level enemies if you get there at the right level. As to the second, there is another spell that has the range you're looking for. Should be around that time as well (the practice makes it obvious how it can be useful).

I don't think a sequel would capture the magic this game has. Seeing Hogwarts and Hogsmeade in this scale and level of detail

They've already established, for the people who don't know this story, that there are schools all over the world, where students of all persuasions can go to learn magic from Professors of all ethnic backgrounds. More, they've already set up that magic exists in different forms elsewhere, which allows for some interesting gameplay approaches to distinguish from HWL. Here they are limited by the expected; a sequel without such bounds can be far larger and actually take more risks given the freedom (and from showing that the developers can make games on this scale).

Last edited:
As great as the game is it could be better. Quidditch for starters could add endless fun. The map could be a lot bigger and the scope of the story could improve too. There is always room for improvement.
I would prefer them to just keep adding chapters to this so we dont have to wait another 6 years for more.

The way they set it up in seasonal chapters lends itself well to DLC to expand on it. I mean there is so much room to add more, with a few outside locales such as Ministry of Magic for example, add new content to the existing world. The scope is huge but it's anybodies guess where they go with it.

I was expecting a big DLC for RDR2 due to it's insane popularity but they chose to focus on other things so who knows.

Seems like it's selling very well and a prime candidate for more content. People lap up anything HP, and with a massive install base I expect it will be like printing money if they bring out more.
yeah if they haven't already started working on a sequel i guess it'd make sense to work on chapters/expansions while also working towards a sequel.
I'm almost certain it didn't route you through those spiders. They are definitely there though but you can avoid all the higher level enemies if you get there at the right level. As to the second, there is another spell that has the range you're looking for. Should be around that time as well (the practice makes it obvious how it can be useful).
i don't know man....i was at the cave then the quest updated and it took me down through the forest and i had to run right through it to the other end where the quest marker was to meet the ghost. there were some high level enemies but i didn't notice if they were spiders. there were wizards in there too who were shooting spells at me. i sprinted through it real fucking fast. maybe the quest won't take me anywhere near them.

Markio128

Gold Member
The game looks great and I can’t wait to play it once the financial trauma of the PSVR2 has subsided. It’s actually pretty awesome to know that if there is a lull this year, I’ve already got Hogwarts and Metroid Prime to catch up on.

As great as the game is it could be better. Quidditch for starters could add endless fun. The map could be a lot bigger and the scope of the story could improve too. There is always room for improvement.

yeah if they haven't already started working on a sequel i guess it'd make sense to work on chapters/expansions while also working towards a sequel.

i don't know man....i was at the cave then the quest updated and it took me down through the forest and i had to run right through it to the other end where the quest marker was to meet the ghost. there were some high level enemies but i didn't notice if they were spiders. there were wizards in there too who were shooting spells at me. i sprinted through it real fucking fast. maybe the quest won't take me anywhere near them.
the problem with quidditch is that it's probably almost impossible to make fun as a game, and current broom flying in game definitely isn't good enough for it, imo.

There will definitely be DLC, but probably they use a smaller team to create it, and move the main team to a sequel. Assets are already there, so that makes development a bit easier.

Laieon

the problem with quidditch is that it's probably almost impossible to make fun as a game

hqdefault.jpg

Harry_Potter_-_Quidditch_World_Cup_Coverart.png

Wife hasn’t been gaming for a few years since we’ve had children and she just asked for this. That is the power of this IP.

It’s also a fantastic excuse to buy it (huge backlog anyway but what the hell). I can tell we are both going to lose ourselves in this world.

They've already established, for the people who don't know this story, that there are schools all over the world, where students of all persuasions can go to learn magic from Professors of all ethnic backgrounds. More, they've already set up that magic exists in different forms elsewhere, which allows for some interesting gameplay approaches to distinguish from HWL. Here they are limited by the expected; a sequel without such bounds can be far larger and actually take more risks given the freedom (and from showing that the developers can make games on this scale).

You guys ain't wrong, and I don't disagree. I just think what you can't recapture in a sequel is experiencing a game nailing the universe for the first time.

Spoilers but not spoilers. I'm about 8 hours in and wanted to write down my thoughts to see if they come to fruition later.

As much as Sebastian appears to be a total bro, I have a hard time trusting him. I feel like you're meant to trust him after he takes the fall for you in the library, but, as he says, he knew he had ways to get out of trouble--ways that he still hasn't shared with you--so it comes off like a non-sacrifice to get you "indebted" to him.

His story about his sister is touching, but I'm wondering if they won't go the route of the goblins promising a cure for his sister in return for giving you up.

Also, he's a Slytherin after all, and I've yet to see snake-y behavior from him. Sus af as the kids say.

Top Bottom