• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

Nankatsu

Gold Member
They'll do an online DLC with Quidditch.

I wish.

Just unlocked Talents, and damn, things get even more spiced. I like the new dodge roll.

Last edited:

ABeezy1388

So just had a “uh what” moment… I am playing on PS5 and even tho I’ve explored A TON I’m not that far into the story… and I just realized using the dualsense controller, are we suppose to be feeling the resistance and all that jazz in the triggers…. Because I don’t think I’ve experienced that at all in this game yet. Just good ‘ol rumble…

Moneal

Spoilers but not spoilers. I'm about 8 hours in and wanted to write down my thoughts to see if they come to fruition later.

As much as Sebastian appears to be a total bro, I have a hard time trusting him. I feel like you're meant to trust him after he takes the fall for you in the library, but, as he says, he knew he had ways to get out of trouble--ways that he still hasn't shared with you--so it comes off like a non-sacrifice to get you "indebted" to him.

His story about his sister is touching, but I'm wondering if they won't go the route of the goblins promising a cure for his sister in return for giving you up.

Also, he's a Slytherin after all, and I've yet to see snake-y behavior from him. Sus af as the kids say.
Sebastian questline is the best one in the game to me. That's all I'll say about that.

Hugare

My oled looked washed out till I turned OFF hdr.
Yeah, seems like HDR is broken

Unfortunately its one of these games where you cant turn off HDR, so you have to do it system wide

There are so many recent releases with terrible HDR implementation, that I disabled HDR for good

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Lol the dude that comes out of Gladrags Wizarswear with his mom. I seriously burst out laughing.

Last edited:

shubik

What I really like about this game is how even the simple collectathon stuff is so nicely intertwined with the game and its story.

Everything is rooted in lore and makes sense. You can clearly tell that they had a clear vision and put a lot of care into everything.

I spend a couple of hours today and simply explored the castle. The amount of stuff to see is insane. Every corner has something to offer.

I feel bad for everyone who is missing out on this. This feels like a love letter to my childhood. This is what I imagined back in the day to play one day.

Last edited:

Negatorus

Neo Member
I just bought the game, should be here on Tuesday. Is there any melee combat at all in the game, I don't want to get spoiled before I even get the game so I didn't read through this thread yet.

Unfortunately its one of these games where you cant turn off HDR, so you have to do it system wide

There are so many recent releases with terrible HDR implementation, that I disabled HDR for good

I think the biggest problem is that there are too many TV manufacturers who sell TVs that are labeled as HDR-capable, when they’re really not. My previous TV said it was HDR-capable, but a lot of games looked horribly washed-out in HDR mode. Then I found out that my TV only hits something like 350 nits peak brightness, which is not even close to bright enough for a good HDR image. I bought a new one that peaks at 1400 nits, and everything looks great now. Hogwarts included— looks great.

Problem 2 is that calibrating for HDR is not easy because most of these TVs apply their own tone-mapping. So when you’re setting up HDR in the PS5 system settings, for example, you usually need to ignore the visual reference it shows you and manually enter the number of clicks that corresponds to your TVs peak brightness. It’s a pain. On my TV, I have to click up from the bottom 17 times on the first 2 screens, and leave the third alone

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

I just bought the game, should be here on Tuesday. Is there any melee combat at all in the game, I don't want to get spoiled before I even get the game so I didn't read through this thread yet.
I'm about 20 hours in and it's been all wand/magic combat. But I also haven't looked up anything about the game due to people posting spoilers on everything so maybe.

dok1or

For me game looks nice with HDR, (PC). Its not washed out. Nights look fantastic
But I enabled TV dynamic contrast on medium setting
*Hisense TV

52684669546_ebce475d40_b.jpg

Last edited:

Ghost23

My mind was blown when I realized the PS5 adaptive trigger wasn’t for resistance in pushing the trigger but so you didn’t have to press down all the way for basic casts. Pretty great usage since it allows you to spam much faster.

For the first few hours I was struggling pressing the trigger all the way down with resistance for every basic shot lol

ABeezy1388

So just had a “uh what” moment… I am playing on PS5 and even tho I’ve explored A TON I’m not that far into the story… and I just realized using the dualsense controller, are we suppose to be feeling the resistance and all that jazz in the triggers…. Because I don’t think I’ve experienced that at all in this game yet. Just good ‘ol rumble…

My mind was blown when I realized the PS5 adaptive trigger wasn’t for resistance in pushing the trigger but so you didn’t have to press down all the way for basic casts. Pretty great usage since it allows you to spam much faster.

For the first few hours I was struggling pressing the trigger all the way down with resistance for every basic shot lol

Quoted my question above your post… uh oh. My controller isn’t doing that. I hope my dualsense isn’t broke… I haven’t used my PS5 a ton so no way it would be from wear and tear…

Ghost23

Quoted my question above your post… uh oh. My controller isn’t doing that. I hope my dualsense isn’t broke… I haven’t used my PS5 a ton so no way it would be from wear and tear…
Yea the right trigger should start feeling some resistance about half way down. Have you tried to see if it activates in other games?

Freeza93

Banned

HDR is perfectly fine. its your Tv

ABeezy1388

Yea the right trigger should start feeling some resistance about half way down. Have you tried to see if it activates in other games?

Ugh great… I’ve been playing mostly on PC the last year, only PS5 games I have are Spider-Man, Spider-Man MM, and Horizon Forbidden West… I think they all use the haptic triggers?

Last edited:

ikbalCO

4 hours in on PS5.

Game is fun but looks mostly alright.

Ghosting is insane tho. They have to fix that before everything else.

so merlin was a slytherin? Huh...

Megatron

If I want to play this on Xbox series X and Xbox one X I will need to get the Xbox one version right? I can’t buy the series x version and play the downgraded version on my Xbox one? Via smart delivery?

Last edited:

kiryani

I’ve 100% completed

Main quest
Collections
Room of requirement
Combat
Field guides

I’ve saved some side quest so I can play them all at ones and get the full experience.

My experience is on PS5 & OLED using HFR performance and in my opinion this is the best Video Game I’ve ever played (previous was Witcher 3)

Being 32 and a big Potter fan most of my life, absolutely may contribute to how much I’ve enjoyed it, lots of nostalgia and a world that I have experienced so many times in print, finally being open to explore.

But yeah. Hogwarts Legacy is the best video game I’ve ever played.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
If I want to play this on Xbox series X and Xbox one X I will need to get the Xbox one version right? I can’t buy the series x version and play the downgraded version on my Xbox one? Via smart delivery?
There is no Xbox one or one x version right now, when it does release you should be able to be able to play it on there if you bought the SX version but I can’t swear to it.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Ugh great… I’ve been playing mostly on PC the last year, only PS5 games I have are Spider-Man, Spider-Man MM, and Horizon Forbidden West… I think they all use the haptic triggers?
If it’s been a while since you’ve played on it, maybe check you didn’t turn them off for some reason and don’t remember?

You’d figure if they konk out they would do it separately not both at the same time.

Last edited:

Ghost23

Without spoilers, are there missable side quests? I see there's a trophy for completing all of them but want to make sure I can do that after I progress.

Gerdav

You have to buy the digital deluxe version, and the last gen version is not released until some point in April.

kiryani

Without spoilers, are there missable side quests? I see there's a trophy for completing all of them but want to make sure I can do that after I progress.

Nothing is missable at all, you could in theory complete the whole main quest first then do everything else.

The only missable thing if anything are the unforgivable curses which you can’t really miss, just choose not to learn, and AFAIK they’re not linked to any part of any progression system or trophies.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
There’s nothing really missable on that front, but it’s a good time to point out a possible case of a bug locking people out of one sidequest specifically (and it’s kind of a major one): if you see a lock on a large empty cage in a poacher camp don’t open it, from some reports on Reddit it seems to bug out a quest later if you do.

Last edited:

Simo

With a 8 month old and work all week it's been hard to dedicate time to the game but today I hit around the 10 hour mark and unlocked broom flight. My word this game is awesome.

I just love exploring the castles and the fact it's based more on the books means seeing stuff you read about and now get to experience it's so much cooler, like the kitchens and then trying to access the Hufflepuff commons as a Gryffindor only to get sprayed with vinegar. lol The hidden werewolf room in the castle is cool too.

Forbidden Forest is legit creepy at night too. I can't wait to explore more and did venture a little south of Hogwarts to do the first side quests and combat really does get more fun and opens up when you start unlocking more spells and can spend your talent points.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Not gonna lie if WB rebooted Harry Potter as a big budget HBO Max series using the Hogwarts and everything from the game, I'd be so down.

Everything is definitely more accurate to the books and the castle itself is freaking amazing!
Not going to disagree if they nail the casting. I think the original "big three" would be big shoes to fill.

But HBO? They're probably the only ones who could pull this off, but they're also the company that got exclusive rights to Gone With The Wind from 1939, possibly one of the most iconic and historically important films ever made, and put it in the "vault" in perpetuity for being racist. They are never going to touch Harry Potter.

Simo

Not going to disagree if they nail the casting. I think the original "big three" would be big shoes to fill.

But HBO? They're probably the only ones who could pull this off, but they're also the company that got exclusive rights to Gone With The Wind from 1939, possibly one of the most iconic and historically important films ever made, and put it in the "vault" in perpetuity for being racist. They are never going to touch Harry Potter.

Probably should of clarified it should be HBO Max since Warner Bros owns that and they have the media rights for the IP but I don't think JKs views would hamper any reboot anyways, as the game clearly shows. lol

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Only 5 hours in. Can't stop thinking about the game when I'm not playing it.

My wife is back home from an interstate trip and is a huge HP fan. Now I'll have to fight her for the controller.

The Game plays amazing aside from a few graphical issues which I don't know how they passed QC. The main ones are the colour/tint shift when the screen switches between characters while talking and when I'm talking to professor Fig he seems to have a graphical glitch on his face.

Other than that it's right up there with GOTY contention.

Freeman76

I have the luxury of working from home and picking my own hours so I put loads of time aside for this game over past week. My wife plays also, we have a 2 TV set up in the lounge, and my 2 kids also gameshare, we have all been playing all week and talking about all the things we have enjoyed. We have never had such a wholesome gaming experience together as a family.

My wife cried when she found the little creatures with huge eyes (not naming due to spoilers). My daughter was super excited about so many things she saw that were in the books (she is 10) and my son was hyped that you can learn curses (he is 8).

I have been mesmerised by the game all week. I've clocked 45 hours in 6 days which is just insane for me. I do game almost every day (my whole family are hardcore gamers) but not like this. I'm 46 and have been into games since the Master System, and never have I been so drawn into a game, not even Ocarina of Time on release day.

This deserves to go down in history as a monumental gaming moment as far as I'm concerned. The feeling they managed to capture with this game is astounding. I have taken as much time as I can to soak in all the details and read every piece of lore I can find. 45 hours of moving at a snails pace and I'm at 63% complete. I'm honestly not looking forward to this being over, I've enjoyed it that much.

If anbody who worked on the game reads this, thank you for the best gaming experience we have ever had. This is 100% my favourite game of all time.

Bkdk

I have to say I’m certainly surprised by how well this is received. I bought the deluxe edition and before the user reviews are out, I swear it would be around 7/10. Really shocked me to the upside. I enjoyed most of exploration and late game combat. Characters are mixed. Some are ok while some are really bad. Especially the voice acting. Role play wise is what really disappoints me. I really thought there would be a lot more interaction with students and fighting students/professors and a lot more story choices impacting hogwarts. However seems like you are already an expert like Geralt in Witcher. I probably won’t regret buying it since it’s still decent but for sure quite disappointed.

Top Bottom