• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

ABeezy1388

If it’s been a while since you’ve played on it, maybe check you didn’t turn them off for some reason and don’t remember?

You’d figure if they konk out they would do it separately not both at the same time.

I checked in the main system settings. Everything appears to be fine… I love the feature so don’t think I’d ever have turned it off. I will load up one of my other games as if they all i e-believe use the adaptive triggers.

Pejo

Just unlocked talents last night and I see what the next mission is called, but my PC is down on its knees begging me not to accept it - broom flying training.

I ordered RAM to double my available from 16GB to 32GB, let's hope that makes enough difference so that I'm not down to <20 FPS when I leave Hogwarts. I read in the PC performance thread that it helps a lot, and was a relatively cheap upgrade.

This is the first game that made me heavily consider building a new rig. Others were fine just by decreasing resolution or whatever, but since modern devs have removed the ability to run exclusive fullscreen at sub native resolutions to your display, I can't depend on resolution to save me anymore. Kinda sad when you think about it, that their inability to add a few resolution options is causing all sorts of unnecessary performance issues.

kiryani

IduroGC.gif

You can dodge spells by jumping on your broom too.

I’ve only done this once and it was by pure accident, but when a spell was flying at me I opened the wheel to select a potion, and accidentally mounted.

The result was my character hopping on her broom and bouncing upwards a little bit, thus the spell travelling right under her

Mossybrew

Spent a lot of the weekend on the game, just got flying and opened up the room of requirement, and this game is WAY better than I expected. Packed with content, looks fantastic, great customization elements, combat is fun, everything feels polished and well thought out, I mean Im only ten hours in but I cant think of a single negative thing to say about Hoggwortz.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I don't think a sequel would capture the magic this game has. Seeing Hogwarts and Hogsmeade in this scale and level of detail
Just unlocked talents last night and I see what the next mission is called, but my PC is down on its knees begging me not to accept it - broom flying training.

I ordered RAM to double my available from 16GB to 32GB, let's hope that makes enough difference so that I'm not down to <20 FPS when I leave Hogwarts. I read in the PC performance thread that it helps a lot, and was a relatively cheap upgrade.

This is the first game that made me heavily consider building a new rig. Others were fine just by decreasing resolution or whatever, but since modern devs have removed the ability to run exclusive fullscreen at sub native resolutions to your display, I can't depend on resolution to save me anymore. Kinda sad when you think about it, that their inability to add a few resolution options is causing all sorts of unnecessary performance issues.

This was all a big to do if you ask me. 16 or 32 I'm getting the same performance. I'll keep the 32 as Amazon screwed up and sent me two GPUs and I've been wanting a reason to build an "upstairs" PC, but it's certainly a "waste" for this game (I'm not sure if it's the patch or the memory, but I've had no crashes since changing both).

Lv16 and just got my broom, but its not really pulling me in anymore. Meh. Not enough combat for me as of yet. Very much go A, then go B, then go back to A, and then C, and then back to A. The gameplay mechanic becomes repetitive quite early for me. Anyone else?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Lv16 and just got my broom, but its not really pulling me in anymore. Meh. Not enough combat for me as of yet. Very much go A, then go B, then go back to A, and then C, and then back to A. The gameplay mechanic becomes repetitive quite early for me. Anyone else?
Definitely follow the critical path if you're getting bored. You'll get combat, stealth, special dungeons, etc.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
The 'critical path'?
The yellow marked missions on the map.

Edit: Also start hitting poacher hideouts, you’ll want the drops (the trait ones for gear) from the chests desperately later on, and it’s complete RNG, so might as well get cracking now so it isn’t a chore (at least if you want to min/max later 😜 ), there’s always combat there.

Last edited:

Captn

Yeah, seems like HDR is broken

Unfortunately its one of these games where you cant turn off HDR, so you have to do it system wide

There are so many recent releases with terrible HDR implementation, that I disabled HDR for good
No issues with HDR on my lg c1

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I have gained a lot of levels just exploring, looking for dungeons and other hidden areas. I should create a map so others can explore the same places. I'll do that the next time I get a chance to play.

hollams

Gold Member
I was level 16 before I opened up traits which said I would get a new trait every level after 5 so I thought I messed up. Luckily you do get all of the traits for the levels you earned before gaining them so that was good.

One thing I'm not sure if it's a bug or not. I was on a quest to deliver some potions and after I delivered them there was a lake with a diving spot. When I dove down it took me to another location that looked like I could swim to shore but if I moved in any direction I would just float directly up and then get stuck at the top. I was in a swimming motion so the game thought I was still underwater when I wasn't. I had to goto the map and travel out to get out of there. I did it a second time and the same thing.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

The game isn't going to innovate in terms of open world gameplay if that's what you are after. I definitely have spurts where I'm like "Okay, I've probably had enough of this. . ." And then you do get the big combat break where the dopamine kicks in.

. . .the game is for SURE slow up to the point of just letting you get in your own trouble. That said, I've got 20 hours in game, and I just looked at the map (as one of my complaints was "Okay, I guess this is all I'm seeing" - and I've not even been past what I guess in-game you would consider "Greater Hogland" (with Hogsmeade and Hogswarts). Nothing past Keenbridge is open and I've just been dicking about around the school. So yeah. Slow burn of a game unless you're a HP fan, in which case you're probably in pleasure overload.

One thing I'm not sure if it's a bug or not. I was on a quest to deliver some potions and after I delivered them there was a lake with a diving spot. When I dove down it took me to another location that looked like I could swim to shore but if I moved in any direction I would just float directly up and then get stuck at the top. I was in a swimming motion so the game thought I was still underwater when I wasn't. I had to goto the map and travel out to get out of there. I did it a second time and the same thing.

I'm assuming the world around you didn't shift to the "Dark Real" a la LTTP, as those do exist out in the normal world (and not just the Divine Beasts. . .I mean trials).

Last edited:

Boneless

I can make cats fly, what a great game!

Btw, on PC, windowed does a lot better for me than windowed fullscreen it terms of stutters.

lifa-cobex

This guy does a good job picking apart all the negative crap around JK Rowling.

As much as he brought up a fair point it really redundant at this point.

They are hypocrites and subconsciously they know it.
They don't care. It's just a dopamine hit for them.

My flatmate is a progressive and she's annoyed that i'm playing it.
That being said she also has all the films and books. Her argument being that she no longer consumes content from her anymore so it's fine.
I don't even bother arguing. It just doesn't matter

Last edited:

Hawk269

OK, who's idea was it to limit gear capacity to 20 pieces? What a fucking bullshit.
What is worse is that if you open a chest while Gear Capacity is full, you end up losing the item that was in the chest. This happened to me last night. I had no idea I was at the initial limit. Opened a chest and saw what the item was, then got the notification that I was at the max. So I backed out, deleted some stuff and went back to the chest to find it empty and losing the item that was in the chest. They need to fix that.

Freeza93

Banned
What is worse is that if you open a chest while Gear Capacity is full, you end up losing the item that was in the chest. This happened to me last night. I had no idea I was at the initial limit. Opened a chest and saw what the item was, then got the notification that I was at the max. So I backed out, deleted some stuff and went back to the chest to find it empty and losing the item that was in the chest. They need to fix that.
Really? in my exp. It simply stays. So i break something and pick it up. ? Maybe a bug.

Last edited:

Tommi84

I checked in the main system settings. Everything appears to be fine…
Just download Astro's playroom and you'd know straight away if all is ok.

May I ask you if you are sure you're playing the PS5 version and not the PS4? It's highly unlikely that TWO of those things would break at the same time - it would usually be only one

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member

May I ask you if you are sure you're playing the PS5 version and not the PS4? It's highly unlikely that TWO of those things would break at the same time - it would usually be only one
There is no PS4 version, it’s not out till April.

Last edited:

ABeezy1388

Ahh yeah good call on Astro’s playroom! I have that installed but never ended up playing it! I just checked the PlayStation app and it’s for sure the PS5 version so that eliminates that. When I’m on my console next I’ll have to try that game.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I'm 15 hours in, almost level 20 and still haven't got access to Alohamora spell. It's access is through a main quest or sidequest?

Last edited:

RafterXL

You don't lose the item. It will show up the next time you log in. I've done it multiple times now. Although, between just selling everything and doing the Merlin stuff inventory isn't an issue anymore.

Neff

What is worse is that if you open a chest while Gear Capacity is full, you end up losing the item that was in the chest.

Gear you can't carry should just stay in the chest. It has done so every time for me (PS5 version). That said though the game does have its share of bugs, which isn't surprising considering how ambitious it is.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Started the game up after work today to just decode some gear, ending up finishing the house chest quest, got the unlock spell, got a few new spells, did some other side quest and started a story quest…

Great game

Krathoon

Really? in my exp. It simply stays. So i break something and pick it up. ? Maybe a bug.
Yeah. I think it stays. I was diving and it just would not let me pick up the item. It was still there.
That makes more sense. So, that losing the item may be a bug.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
About 6 hours in, I'm starting to think playing on Normal was a mistake. I usually play games on Hard, but people were saying this one is challenging enough on Normal. Well, so far I disagree, I've been destroying everything with almost no effort, including the third dueling club thing, which people were saying they were having trouble with (I did it solo). The biggest "problem" is that you can pretty much cheese everything with Protego + Stupefy, since that breaks enemy shields, making the whole "match spell and shield colors" mechanic completely irrelevant. I don't really feel like I need to use any spells beyond the basic attack at all because of that. I think the difficulty on Normal seems pretty good except for that, so hmm, what to do... How much harder is Hard? I don't really want frustrating difficulty either I think, I don't need this game to be Dark Souls.

Also, does the game ever teach you to use the different "pages" of spells (d-pad), or are you somehow meant to figure that out yourself? The only reason I even know it's a thing is because I saw it in a developer preview video. So far the game has only taught me how to replace the four spells on the first "page" with different ones.

Last edited:

Moneal

About 6 hours in, I'm starting to think playing on Normal was a mistake. I usually play games on Hard, but people were saying this one is challenging enough on Normal. Well, so far I disagree, I've been destroying everything with almost no effort, including the third dueling club thing, which people were saying they were having trouble with (I did it solo). The biggest "problem" is that you can pretty much cheese everything with Protego + Stupefy, since that breaks enemy shields, making the whole "match spell and shield colors" mechanic completely irrelevant. I don't really feel like I need to use any spells beyond the basic attack at all because of that. I think the difficulty on Normal seems pretty good except for that, so hmm, what to do... How much harder is Hard? I don't really want frustrating difficulty either I think, I don't need this game to be Dark Souls.

Also, does the game ever teach you to use the different "pages" of spells (d-pad), or are you somehow meant to figure that out yourself? The only reason I even know it's a thing is because I saw it in a developer preview video. So far the game has only taught me how to replace the four spells on the first "page" with different ones.
Hard feels good. It is mostly a reduction in the protego window.

You can get more spell slots when you unlock talents.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hard feels good. It is mostly a reduction in the protego window.

You can get more spell slots when you unlock talents.

Alright, I'll probably switch to Hard then. But that almost makes me feel like I should restart the game, which is stupid, but I kinda feel like I haven't "earned" what I've done so far, lol.

G-Bus

Banned
Picked this up 2 days ago and have close to 10 hours played. Haven't played a game like this since before I had kids 4 years ago.

Been thinking about it on and off most of the day and already warned the wife it's what I'm doing after the kids go to bed.

Considering this game was no where on my radar until after all the positive reactions after launch... Still surprised how much I'm enjoying the game.

I learned about the page feature while on the skills menu. They should do more to inform people about that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom