• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hohokum |OT| Whimsical exploration, presented in Technicolor with awesome music!

I love how this game looks but i have no concepts of where i've been or where i'm going.

Im getting to random levels and unlocking the names after doing the various challenges. i'm trying to find all the eyes on the various levels. What's the other number that is always displayed under the amount of eyes you have found?

How many levels are there? How do i know when i'm done?

I love it but i wish the structure was a little more... structured.

I love how this game looks but i have no concepts of where i've been or where i'm going.

Im getting to random levels and unlocking the names after doing the various challenges. i'm trying to find all the eyes on the various levels. What's the other number that is always displayed under the amount of eyes you have found?

How many levels are there? How do i know when i'm done?

I love it but i wish the structure was a little more... structured.

When you unlock new screens it will open a portal back to that screen from the home area. If there is no snake circling the home portal then you should go back to that area.

On the pause screen the two numbers that pop up are how many eyes you have on that screen (e.g. 5/8) and how many total eyes you have in all levels (e.g. 52/146). There are 146 total eyes but you don't need them all to finish the game or for any trophies (
they just unlock a final, optional snake-guy
).

There are 16 friends to unlock
including the optional eye-guy
, 15 others are required to get the credits.

Very useful map made by another GAFer here, Doomburrito7. I believe it doesn't have the transitional screens between main screens but should help a lot (spoilers of course).

http://i.imgur.com/uovqNzJ.png

When you unlock new screens it will open a portal back to that screen from the home area. If there is no snake circling the home portal then you should go back to that area.

On the pause screen the two numbers that pop up are how many eyes you have on that screen (e.g. 5/8) and how many total eyes you have in all levels (e.g. 52/146). There are 146 total eyes but you don't need them all to finish the game or for any trophies (
they just unlock a final, optional snake-guy
).

There are 16 friends to unlock
including the optional eye-guy
, 15 others are required to get the credits.

Very useful map made by another GAFer here, Doomburrito7. I believe it doesn't have the transitional screens between main screens but should help a lot (spoilers of course).

http://i.imgur.com/uovqNzJ.png

Thanks dude, super helpful map and info :)

this is how I feel
xVyoSl.jpg

I'm enjoying this game so much. The animations, graphics and music are incredible. And I love how it plays, the little abstract puzzles that tell such great little stories.. it's wonderful.

It looks great on PS4, but feels at home and looks something special on Vita's OLED.

It sucks I heard it being described as a screen-saver on some podcasts.. John and Garnett podcast! <shakes fist>

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this works:

From the main popnut forest screen with the eye guy, go into the left of the three portals near the bottom. You should be able to get to the wedding screen from there, and then to the kite festival from there. If you have the wedding portal open in the main hub, you should be able to warp straight there and then into the kite screen. Let me know if this doesn't work.

Yep that was it, thanks! I dunno how I had never noticed an exit portal on the wedding stage before.

I finished the game but still have no idea what this means. Any clues?

Hint:
Go to the main popnut forest area, where the three portals are. It's the main center portal from the black home screen. Look for a guy with paint... Let me know if you want more explicit clues.

areal

Hint:
Go to the main popnut forest area, where the three portals are. It's the main center portal from the black home screen. Look for a guy with paint... Let me know if you want more explicit clues.
I had just found it. Thanks.

Now to finish in under an hour. Excellent game.

Does anyone know if there is a way to zoom out?
I'd love a wider view occasionally

Use the right stick to adjust the zoom level. You can also turn off the "Auto Zoom" feature in the pause screen settings. Personally I preferred it off and just managed the zoom myself. It's not like there is too much going on you have to control, haha.

I had just found it. Thanks.

Now to finish in under an hour. Excellent game.

Awesome, glad to hear it. The one-hour trophy is the last thing on my list as well...

Chopper

So no-one else has two trophy lists for this? After playing on my Vita for a couple of days, I finally managed to boot up the PS4 version last night. I synced the save, continued and I got my fourth trophy. But it's listed in seperate list, on its own!

putermcgee

Just finished the game, but haven't collected all of the eyes. There's one level in particular
the lost woods?
that I almost feel like I don't have a chance at finding them all.

Also, a weird thing happened when I was trying to get my last friend. In the level
where the guy makes the pottery and you break it,
I had not idea what was going on, and after a really long time, the music completely cut out. I tried going to another area, but the next area never loaded. It just stayed on a black screen for a few minutes until I quit out of the game completely. When I reloaded it, I was back in the same level, only
the guy had made a giant vase, and of course I found my friend after that.
. No idea what happened there, or why something didn't trigger.

wouwie

Just finished the game. I still need to collect some eyes though.

This is the biggest surprise of the year so far for me. Ever since watching the first media, i went on a media blackout because i thought it looked interesting. So going in, i had no idea what the game was about. And i loved it from start to finish. There is only one area that i didn't enjoy much and that was the
line drawing areas
. That felt really random as to what you had to do to progress. But other than that, it was a pure delight and amongst my favourite psn games ever.

The visuals were fresh, colorful and fun. The music and sound effects were great and i loved all the little animations and scenes. The exploration part was genuinely fun and surprising. It had the right length and never got boring. There were some fantastic ideas in there. It's obvious that this is a labour of love from everyone who worked on it. A true wonderful little game that made me smile.

Good gosh that
pool party level.
I had no idea what the hell to do for almost an hour and a half and then I randomly
flew through the gap to the dead/alternate reality and was like WTF!!!!!!

That level was awesome. I love figuring those things out

I'm enjoying this game so much. The animations, graphics and music are incredible. And I love how it plays, the little abstract puzzles that tell such great little stories.. it's wonderful.

It looks great on PS4, but feels at home and looks something special on Vita's OLED.

It sucks I heard it being described as a screen-saver on some podcasts.. John and Garnett podcast! <shakes fist>

I actually prefer to play it on my TV cause that's where the artwork really shines. Vita screen is too small for all the detail

reminder

Just found the last one of my friends after 6 hours. I loved the kite festival area the most, but there were many great areas.

Only one trophy left, but i don't think i'll make it in under 60 minutes.

wouwie

Just finished the game, but haven't collected all of the eyes. There's one level in particular
the lost woods?
that I almost feel like I don't have a chance at finding them all.

Also, a weird thing happened when I was trying to get my last friend. In the level
where the guy makes the pottery and you break it,
I had not idea what was going on, and after a really long time, the music completely cut out. I tried going to another area, but the next area never loaded. It just stayed on a black screen for a few minutes until I quit out of the game completely. When I reloaded it, I was back in the same level, only
the guy had made a giant vase, and of course I found my friend after that.
. No idea what happened there, or why something didn't trigger.

I had a similar experience with the
pottery level. After breaking the pots, i had no clue how to progress so i left the level. When i came back, the giant vase had appeared. So i'm not sure what sequence of events is needed to finish that scene. Maybe it has a bug.

ThisOne

Anybody know if there is anything to unlock or do on the Farm level? It's the one that is just vertical and you can pick up the fruit to change the season. I can't figure out if there's anything more to do.

putermcgee

I had a similar experience with the
pottery level. After breaking the pots, i had no clue how to progress so i left the level. When i came back, the giant vase had appeared. So i'm not sure what sequence of events is needed to finish that scene. Maybe it has a bug.
Actually, what you did is probably what you're supposed to do. Much like in RPGs where you give someone an item, and they tell you to come back later to pick something up... only this game doesn't tell you to come back later.

areal

Unfortunately, that section appears to have some RNG. Took me VERY long to get it this last run. I ended up 20 minutes over an hour, not just because of that section.
Try planting and harvesting some fruit using the wooden frames near the top and bottom.
This appears to speed up the process.

SerTapTap

Try planting and harvesting some fruit using the wooden frames near the top and bottom.
This appears to speed up the process.

You can do that?! well damn. My main time losses were
Farm waiting for blue, forgetting how to get one of the stupid dragon parts for the roller coaster, one of the puzzles not triggering right in the gridpaper section, messing up the bees and kite levels a bit.

So no-one else has two trophy lists for this? After playing on my Vita for a couple of days, I finally managed to boot up the PS4 version last night. I synced the save, continued and I got my fourth trophy. But it's listed in seperate list, on its own!
This happened to me as well, except playing it on my ps3. Can't understand why, but I guess more trophies is always welcome, right...?

red731

I just want to drive by by saying that I love this game, its art direction, simplicity, music, sounds, "playness" of elements. Makes me smiling from ear to ear!

Honeyslug, Richard Hogg and ghostly....thanks a bunch guys. Much love!

banagher

Eurogamer: 9/10
No matter: this is striking video game art and design, a game that builds on no particular tradition, instead forging its own path, borrowing style and ideas from a range of media. There's a bit of drug-tinged 1970s children's animation here, a little Katamari Damacy oddness there, a layer of 20th-century Disney invention everywhere else (the crows that flap like umbrellas opening and closing could have been lifted straight out of a Dumbo dream sequence).

The effect of the game's soundtrack shouldn't be underestimated, either. It swings from hyper-cool French electro to post-apocalyptic M82, altering the tone of a scene with unusual swiftness. One scene is a giant water park, filled with tiny people in rubber rings, splashing happily under the sun. Fly through a mountain pass and the scene switches to some unspecified future date, the park now derelict, the sun diminished, the music a sorrowful lament to a bygone time.

SerTapTap

So, getting all the eyes.
Is it really just so you can see that the eye dude is also a "snake"...kinda? Was expecting a trophy or epilogue, honestly

Did this transition screen remind anyone of Patapon?
http://youtu.be/i0j5IAy-OXs

Desert was super weird, it keeps on going forever if you go to the right and keeps on having NPCs. Reminded me of the library in Neverhood.
ibnmRGkE9jTYvC.jpg

That pottery level was weird, when I came back there was a giant pot and the level was called Lutterworth. Feel good about inadvertently figuring it out.
ivEzjUuVEruDy.jpg

The arabic nights level was a cool puzzle, bats vs fire.
igPPHxDU2s1E0.jpg

Three-eyed elephants at beaches are always cool.
http://youtu.be/QQ_IjNF75kI
ibdHKaNjsWVp3j.jpg

This game is a drug.

Or its what you play while waiting for the drugs to kick in.

And then you keep playing because you can't and won't stop because the trance state of wide-eyed wonder and beat-bouncing whimsy is so damn good.

Its one of those games that tries hard and succeeds at giving me a big ole grin every time I toy with it for a spell.

I did one task which was to collect loads of different colours with a character that scoops them up. He put them into a machine and it unlocked four people below it. I got a little cutscene with his name displayed, then it went back to that area again. It looks like I can put the colours back into the machine again, so.. Did I do that wrong, or can you just complete it again if you like?

Also, in the very starting area do you have to collect all the snakes?

Top Bottom