• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hohokum |OT| Whimsical exploration, presented in Technicolor with awesome music!

Does anyone know how long the game is? I'm just about to pull the trigger but I just want to make sure the game isn't extremely short (in the range of 2 hours I mean).

Zach

Well, my friend and I have put in a couple hours. Delightful game. Confusing for a while, but then you kind of get the hang of it and understand what to do and it's wonderful.

So, I...uh...can't finish the game. I'm pretty sure I'm looked everywhere for the final level (in the far top 12 o'clock position in the hub world, right above the Elephant level. But I can't find the portal to it anywhere. It's the last one I need...

i can't even open the game. all i get is an error.. tried deleting it and downloading it again but it still doesn't work. guess i'll have to contact Soony.

cool, thanks. i may try these:
LllWFxm.png

iXjiwS0.png

Derpcrawler

I am overwhelmed. I am have no clue what is the objective of the game or what's going on. I keep warping between different zones without any explanation of game mechanics or my goal.

So far pretty disappointed in the game. I didn't understand why people call some games "pretentious indi game", but if I would think of one that I played, it's this one.

I am overwhelmed.

image.php

I am have no clue what is the objective of the game or what's going on. I keep warping between different zones without any explanation of game mechanics or my goal.

I think calling something pretentious because it gives you agency is discovering what the goals are instead of beating you over the head with a quest marker is a tad harsh, but I can sympathize with those who are finding Hohokum too obtuse to really get into even though I personally am having a blast with it.

There are some solid posts in this thread already re: good "first steps", or 'what you ought to be looking for', in the game. I would just reiterate that each major level has a particular objective that you need to discover in order to "free" one of your snake-y looking friends; other than that you ought to be on the lookout for those eyes (closed initially until you move over them). Pressing Options will let you know how many you still have left in that particular area. Knowing these two things alone ought to give you enough purposeful direction that you are able to stumble across the solutions to the game. If you need more direction, or perhaps are looking for very narrowly defined challenges, then I highly recommend looking at the trophy list for the game [LINK] which will give you some idea of what activities you could be doing. Hope that helps!

spekkeh

Banned
cool, thanks. i may try these:
LllWFxm.png

iXjiwS0.png

Didn't help here sadly (his error code is also different, mine is ce-34632-8). The only positive is that Santa Monica got word of it and said they're working on a fix. If it will ever come is anyone's guess. Really bummed by the ostensible lack of QA, also in the Playstation Store. If you can't even get the game to start up, a refunding option should be automatic, not after whining to a phone based helpdesk.

It only affects people who didn't preorder, so it seems obvious that a version was uploaded shortly after that didn't work. I guess that should make us hopeful that a fix shouldn't be that hard.

wouwie

Have you played Proteus? I would definitely recommend that to anyone that clicks with Hohokum; it's a different type of experience entirely but still retains some of those elements that you seem to enjoy about Hohokum.

Proteus is on my list of games to play (got it with PS+). I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the recommendation.

I can't wait to dive into this game again tonight. I enjoyed my time with it yesterday. At first, i had no clue what to do but slowly things become clearer as you explore and discover. The
theme park
level was especially nice once you start unlocking the various events. Great stuff so far. Pity that some people have technical difficulties with the game. I hope it's fixed soon.

Didn't help here sadly (his error code is also different, mine is ce-34632-8). The only positive is that Santa Monica got word of it and said they're working on a fix. If it will ever come is anyone's guess. Really bummed by the ostensible lack of QA, also in the Playstation Store. If you can't even get the game to start up, a refunding option should be automatic, not after whining to a phone based helpdesk.

It only affects people who didn't preorder, so it seems obvious that a version was uploaded shortly after that didn't work. I guess that should make us hopeful that a fix shouldn't be that hard.

I don't recall what my error code was but try going to your PSN settings and doing the Restore License option. I did that and it cleared it up.

Unfortunately this was after buying it the previous night, thinking the error was because I had an old card and somehow slipping by PSN to let me download it but then they registered it didn't actually get a payment. It seemed silly except the option to buy the game was in the store again so I went ahead and bought it with my recent debit card. Turns out I had an active credit card still linked to PSN so now I bought it twice through my PS4 somehow. I may try to call them in a day or two to try getting a refund. Oh well.

The game is neat. I cleared one area (Oberon) so far,

I did, it didn't. I think you got it to work because you bought the newer version.

https://twitter.com/SonySantaMonica/status/499769826814853121

Nope, still had the same error after buying the second copy tonight, I deleted and redownloaded the first purchase twice and then redownloaded after buying it again tonight and I kept getting the same error saying the game wasn't available or some nonsense. But restoring licenses did it.

Well, figured I'd suggest something based on my experience.

This game's pretty cool. Other than the eye collectibles. Floating around the level not knowing where they are and listening to the music continuously is not fun. They're fine when there's some kind of pattern or arrangement to them, but in some areas they're barely visible. And that forest is huge.

Let me get my other cons out. Ah, there:

The music could maybe build more in some areas.

It's not clear that there isn't a goal in the first area you enter (after the long movers disappear). At least not a required-to-reach-credits one. Especially when there are things to do there.

There were two areas I'm not exactly sure how I beat, too.

But otherwise, cool game. The sequences of which I understood in each world, to complete the main objective, were all good, barring one which might have been a bit obtuse
(The water park. Though I can't remember if the first trigger is based on touch or proximity. At the time I didn't mind as I activated it the first instance I went near it, but if it's based on touch, I was probably just lucky)
. With a few changes it could have been extra cool.

areal

I'm enjoying it so far. I just finished cruising through the forest to open all of the eyes.

Definitely an audio-visual treat.

madp0k

Ok I'm probably being a bit thick but......

how the hell do I move on from the black hub at the start? I have me and around twelve multicoloured sperms whirling about with no idea what to do?

still played it for 25 mins though :)

image.php

I think calling something pretentious because it gives you agency is discovering what the goals are instead of beating you over the head with a quest marker is a tad harsh, but I can sympathize with those who are finding Hohokum too obtuse to really get into even though I personally am having a blast with it.

There are some solid posts in this thread already re: good "first steps", or 'what you ought to be looking for', in the game. I would just reiterate that each major level has a particular objective that you need to discover in order to "free" one of your snake-y looking friends; other than that you ought to be on the lookout for those eyes (closed initially until you move over them). Pressing Options will let you know how many you still have left in that particular area. Knowing these two things alone ought to give you enough purposeful direction that you are able to stumble across the solutions to the game. If you need more direction, or perhaps are looking for very narrowly defined challenges, then I highly recommend looking at the trophy list for the game [LINK] which will give you some idea of what activities you could be doing. Hope that helps!

Good post :)

FDC1

Is there a known problem with trophies? I played 20mn yesterday to the PS4 EU version but the game doesn't appear in my trophy section. I'll try to download PS3 or Vita version tonight to see if it's the same.

Derpcrawler

image.php

Thing is - Dark Souls is game is about discovering what your goals are. Here, game doesn't even pretend to explain your goals or explain gameplay mechanics, changing them whenever it pleases. It's pretty much random levels with random objective with random gameplay mechanics connected only to force you to backtrack.

I will give it one more chance tomorrow, if it won't catch my interest in 30 min, I will probably never turn the game on again. I actually really regret the purchase.

No instructions is pretty refreshing after all the hand-holdy tutorials I'm used to sitting through for just about every game. My gf is not an expert gamer by any means but we both had a blast just flying around and looking at the world. It reminds me of Child of Light and Journey, two of my favorite games of late!

Derpcrawler

Is there a known problem with trophies? I played 20mn yesterday to the PS4 EU version but the game doesn't appear in my trophy section. I'll try to download PS3 or Vita version tonight to see if it's the same.

I don't have any trophies at all in my trophy list on PS4. I guess I will try it out on Vita, also EU version. Might be something wrong with EU PS4 version, since friend of mine don't have any trophies and he told me that he already beat the game.

reminder

Yeah, seems to be a syncing problem. I got some trophies yesterday but it wouldn't sync correctly. When i got to the notification list and clicked on one of the earned trophies i got an error message. Haven't tried it on PS3 or Vita yet.

Oh...well, fuck you too, game.

Holy cow that sucks. I want to go for this trophy but don't know how to start a new game without deleting my save data and overwriting the cloud save? Do I need to put a backup save on USB or something?

Also, does anyone know how to get the Ice Cream Seller trophy? It's the only other one I don't have...

Also, FYI: It took me 8.5 hours to finish the game with all 146 eyes and 16 snake things, as well as all but those 2 trophies. Only used a guide for (most) of the trophies.

Holy cow that sucks. I want to go for this trophy but don't know how to start a new game without deleting my save data and overwriting the cloud save? Do I need to put a backup save on USB or something?

Also, does anyone know how to get the Ice Cream Seller trophy? It's the only other one I don't have...

Also, FYI: It took me 8.5 hours to finish the game with all 146 eyes and 16 snake things, as well as all but those 2 trophies. Only used a guide for (most) of the trophies.

Just reset the game, unless you don't want to lose your eyes (which don't do anything really).

Once you know what you're doing, 60 minutes shouldn't be too bad. I messed up on the Farm level and so...there you go. I'll try again later, had fun doing it.

As for the Ice Cream Seller...HINT:
You'll find what you need amongst broken pots. Then look around below eye guy

jakeellis01

Can anyone help me out here?

So it seems I got all 14 snakes (15 incl myself), I got the stones monster thingy out from the ruins by choosing the squared ruins. I also did the icecream part. No credits yet though. Cannot figure out what the exploding dizzy bubble does in the ruins...

So whats next, I've been stuck here for hours... :(

Anyone?

Edit:

got it, never knew there was a snake also in the farmers part... There are a total of 16 snakes incl yourself... I swear i counted 15 in the beginning of the game.

SerTapTap

Can anyone help me out here?

So it seems I got all 14 snakes (15 incl myself), I got the stones monster thingy out from the ruins by choosing the squared ruins. I also did the icecream part. No credits yet though. Cannot figure out what the exploding dizzy bubble does in the ruins...

So whats next, I've been stuck here for hours... :(

Anyone?

Edit:

got it, never knew there was a snake also in the farmers part... There are a total of 16 snakes incl yourself... I swear i counted 15 in the beginning of the game.

Less of a spoiler (but maybe a spoiler to extreme-blind-playthroughs):
each ring of dots has a snake

Just reset the game, unless you don't want to lose your eyes (which don't do anything really).

Once you know what you're doing, 60 minutes shouldn't be too bad. I messed up on the Farm level and so...there you go. I'll try again later, had fun doing it.

Awesome, thanks for the very helpful response. I will give it a try soon, I'm sure you will get it easily next time!

Edit: How are "single save slots" still a thing for games in 2014? It's baffling...

Looks like everything is fixed now, just go restore licenses and now it will actually restore your license!

SerTapTap

Finding some of the eyes is a real pain. I got lost a couple times but nothing to be annoyed about other than this. The eyes are all I have left to finish the first non-trophyhunt playthrough.

Also my cat LOVES this game, I shouldn't have let him see it. He keeps attacking the TV now. He really wants to eat the Long Mover.

Can someone please tell me, when you look at the list of friends on the main menu, what is the name between Maude and Mavis and where is this friend?

Can someone please tell me, when you look at the list of friends on the main menu, what is the name between Maude and Mavis and where is this friend?

The friend between Maude and Mavis is
crazy squiggly symbols man (his name is spelled in symbols not letters). It's the "eye guy" from the very beginning who keeps track of how many eyes you get and he unlocks when you get all 146. Warning: you don't really get anything special for it, not even a trophy (somehow)

stublag

Neo Member
So, I...uh...can't finish the game. I'm pretty sure I'm looked everywhere for the final level (in the far top 12 o'clock position in the hub world, right above the Elephant level. But I can't find the portal to it anywhere. It's the last one I need...

I also cant figure out how to get to this portal. Anyone know?

Also:

x6kAWYR.gif

Took me a couple minutes until I realized
you had to not touch the controller after the broken pot guy zapped you and you would automatically draw the 3 shapes you needed.
Actually a pretty cool trophy, one of my favorites. Still annoyed there's nothing for
all 146 eyes but it's just trophies after all and they were (mostly) fun to find

Now to beat it in <1 hour...

I also cant figure out how to get to this portal. Anyone know?

Edit: Ignore my nonsense. Sounds like you were asking about another level... Damn non-linear games :)

Now to beat it in <1 hour...

To access the final level and get to the credits:
go to the "polka dot" level where flying over the dots changed them different colors and you had to carry the guy who would take 4 different colored dots back to his little island and make hats for 4 different weirdos. There is one specific portal that will have a brownish background with more dots when you open it up. Go in that portal, then go into the bottom left dot (it's kinda weird to get into it). This will bring you to the final section, which is pretty darn fun
. Enjoy!

That's not the level I was talking about that he was referring to. The one I was looking for was
in between the two Tribal Dancer Huts in the Bamboo Forest, near the bottom

In terms of beating it in <1 hour, I just did it in 52 minutes after playing through the game three times, so you do have to have a fairly good grasp of what happens in each level specifically.

If anyone has questions about the trophies, let me know. Just 100% it.

That's not the level I was talking about that he was referring to. The one I was looking for was
in between the two Tribal Dancer Huts in the Bamboo Forest, near the bottom

Ah, I getcha. Yeah I realized just now that there isn't any specific order to finish the game, that just happened to be the last one for me. And the elongated structure of that level made me think it was intended as "the end game." It certainly is fitting for the final level, haha.

red731

This game is so simple and so amazing.
I can't wait to get home to get Hohokum'd before the PeeTee crapfest & weeping.

ed: Another thing was when I first started to play the game, getting to know the controls and progressing and playing with the level, the music got progressively to another level of freaking happiness.
I am smiling and laughing like a mad man playing this.

Derpcrawler

I got first trophy in the game and now my trophy list is bugged on PS4, it would not sync at all now. Even if I get trophies in other games. Why did they release this game so broken? I know lot of people had trouble launching the game as well.

EU version if it does even matter.

I love this game. It's a bit confusing at first, but once you get to one of the bigger environments with loads to do it's just brilliant. Helps that the music in these stages are generally the best in the game. Literally playing with a smile on my face.

Top Bottom