• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

KaYotiX

Banned
glad i rented it, ill just keep waiting for BF3 as my main FPS. I really did have hope for this game though, i wanted it to be better than Blops.

SapientWolf said:
Ok, quick update. I was getting random drops to 30fps in multiplayer and it looks like there's some kind of bug. SP is not affected.

Yeah, same here. Thought turning off AO would help, but didn't. Hope they get that patched soon.

MP (Battle Commander Ground Control, that is) is a blast. Just finished playing a few hours. And it looks like most server admins have figured out how to adjust the length of matches--no more short games.

Still a bit buggy. I guess if you fly too high in the Apache, you have to "return to battle"? I lost two when I was in the middle of the map area--not out of bounds. Insanely frustrating.

Server browser is a bit shitty right now, too. Sometimes it will just hang while loading up a list of servers.

I also can't figure out how the hell you join a friend's game. Trying to join it from Steam just launched Homefront...I have no friends in my in-game friends menu...wtf?

Just unlocked white phosporous...mother of god.

But, for what it's worth, MP is a lot of fun so far.

And for everyone complaining about snipers--please tell which game mode you're in. Again, every battle commander match has RARELY had a dominant camper/sniper.

nyong

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
And for everyone complaining about snipers--please tell which game mode you're in. Again, every battle commander match has RARELY had a dominant camper/sniper.
Ground Control, but not with battle commander on. I'll have to give that a shot. It's not really one person so much as it is just the shear number of snipers in the server I was on. I have to pretty much relearn how to play shooters on the PC, though...my lack of skill is almost certainly a factor (I lose most one-on-one fights)

angelfly said:
Just finished up the single player. Went through in a single sitting and enjoyed it. While the game is short I think had they tried to stretch it out it would have simply resulted in certain parts being dragged out way too long. The whole story and how it plays out is what got me interested in the game in the first place and I wasn't disappointed. However things like enemies shooting through objects and killing you from more than half way across the field can be a pain in the ass. Haven't touched MP yet and probably won't get around to it until later today or tomorrow.

I swear certain objects in the environment don't have collision detection for bullets. I died 3 or 4 times where I was clearly behind solid cover.

MMaRsu

CloakedPuppet said:
Shorter than average campaign. Spotty MP. Yep. Saved some money with this one. I was looking forward to Homefront from all the advanced hype but I'll wait until it drops later this year to give it a look.

Advanced hype? What hype?

This thread wasn't big to begin with, and most footage had looked seriously generic and mediocre.

Or does every military shooter have automatic hype these days?

Tendo

SapientWolf said:
Ok, quick update. I was getting random drops to 30fps in multiplayer and it looks like there's some kind of bug. SP is not affected.

I noticed that too. Glad I'm not crazy. I was getting less than expected FPS in multi but ran fine in SP when I just tried that. Hopefully a patch soon.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
MMaRsu said:
Or does every military shooter have automatic hype these days?

Among the casuals it certainly does. Hell didn't THQ say this was the biggest preorder they've ever had on a game?

plc268

I'm really starting to regret buying it on the PC since I can't trade it in.

MP started off pretty decent, that is until everybody decided to snipe. Frankly, they should've named the game Sniper Ghost Warrior 2.

Gah, I hate sniping in any game. I'm terrible at it, and it feels like you need to be a sniper to have any chance of doing well in MP.

I seriously hope they do something to balance snipers out.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
plc268 said:

MP started off pretty decent, that is until everybody decided to snipe. Frankly, they should've named the game Sniper Ghost Warrior 2.

Gah, I hate sniping in any game. I'm terrible at it, and it feels like you need to be a sniper to have any chance of doing well in MP.

I noticed that you can spawn in a jeep. Can you still get sniped through the windshield?

chixdiggit

plc268 said:

Haven't played yet but this comment really makes me regret pre-ordering it. It's my exact reason for not playing BF:BC2 anymore.

MMaRsu

Sinatar said:
Among the casuals it certainly does. Hell didn't THQ say this was the biggest preorder they've ever had on a game?

haha oh man that's right..

Well I hope all those people enjoy it, the reviews don't make this game sound great. And impressions from gaf has been a mixed bag as well.

From the hour I played of the SP it already is better than Blops. There isn't near the sense of random hits and everyone training on you that is in that game.

chixdiggit said:
Haven't played yet but this comment really makes me regret pre-ordering it. It's my exact reason for not playing BF:BC2 anymore.
Again, I'm just saying the only times I've REALLY experienced this is in TDM. Luckily I hate DM and this never happens with GC BC-games are fast and intense.

chixdiggit said:

Well I've been playing BC2 a lot lately and haven't had a problem with snipers at all. Most of them usually just hang out at the end of the map and do jack shit. So it helps out in the long run if they aren't on your team. When I played the beta though. It was out of control, but I think like most games, people will gravitate away from sniper especially since Battle Commander mode puts a bounty on your head if your doing good.

sk3tch

Finally got into an MP match (360) and, while it has its moments, I don't think I am going to hang onto this game. Time to sell while the value is still high. Perhaps if it survives Crysis 2 and some of the other big hitters coming out I will pick it up again when it's around $25ish. I'd honestly rather play BF:BC2 and that's saying something since I've pretty much done it all in BF:BC2.

Well, played up until level 11 I think and I really like it! Definitely more BF than CoD. LOVE using the air recon drones, fun stuff.

Time will tell, but other than the server issues, Im not regretting this purchase.

Didnt touch single player, probably wont.

Fox318

I beat the singleplayer. It was fun and their were defiantly some highlights but the ending kinda killed it for me. Although this game nails some things from the start:presentation is fantastic,Engine runs great, the mood and atmosphere of the game are fantastic but the story feels like the devs couldn't finish the game so they just released it half done. This game has the best opening I've seen since HL2. Its a shame it can't follow through the entire game. I had fun with it but I can't recommended the game just for the singleplayer alone.

Klocker

interestingly I can start a private match and at least learn the maps while the servers are down.

one thing I always wanted to do in BC2
:D

U2NUMB

Ok 3 hours in.. 2 single player levels and up to level 6 in MP. On the 360 and so far it is running solid.

Single player is average.. nothing too amazing but it is pretty low key so far but it is well done.

Multiplayer.. certainly trying to be more BF than COD. It took about a game and a half for it to click but it did end up being very fun. I however would REALLY like some sort of spawn on the front lines or something because I am a bit tired of running. Also if you get good at the game you can spend most of each round in a vehicle... good variety of vehicles and overall its very solid.

While I am enjoying the online game I keep thinking.. why don't I just pop in BC2.

MechDX

sk3tch said:
Dayuumm...DICE's Demize99 (Alan Kertz - Sr Gameplay Designer on BF3) is going off on KAOS on twitter:

https://twitter.com/#!/demize99/status/47745559708180480:

https://twitter.com/#!/demize99/status/47746972811132928:

EDIT:
He just now tweeted:
https://twitter.com/#!/demize99/status/47750920209039360:

I.E.

tweet 1) ...We are hiring BTW Kaos...
tweet 2) I wouldn't hire people I think suck.

Maybe in 2 he is saying he would hire them because he thinks they're pretty good but his wording is just strange, especially in sequence.

That is a classless move on Dice's part. Fuck em! Makes me want to buy BF3 used.
then I remember EA's online game license....

jbpaz

This guy and I totally dominated a match in a tank. We received a 5-star BC rating. It was an amazing match. Also don't listen to the reviews, this game is awesome. :) If you enjoy COD or BC2, then I highly recommend this game.

Jenga

Banned
oh so basically the dice guy meant if he thought Kaos sucked he wouldn't offer them jobs, which he just implied he would meaning he thinks they're a quality studio he'd like to work with

hurray for reading comprehension

Without having to search, how do you adjust the mouse acceleration/input lag/whatever it is via the configs for this? Rather, what is the option in the config?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Without having to search, how do you adjust the mouse acceleration/input lag/whatever it is via the configs for this? Rather, what is the option in the config?

Same as every unreal engine game. c:\users\[yourname]\my documents\my games\homefront\configs\hfinput.ini

It's right near the top of the file, bmousesmoothing or something to that effect.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Jenga said:
oh so basically the dice guy meant if he thought Kaos sucked he wouldn't offer them jobs, which he just implied he would meaning he thinks they're a quality studio he'd like to work with

hurray for reading comprehension
He implied that they're all gonna get laid off. He also knows good and well that no one is gonna up and move to Sweden.

Beat the campaign and enjoyed it. Played a few multi-player games and really liked it... LOVE the Battle Points system. This is new, innovative stuff in a large scale FPS like this. Battle Commander is awesome, too. Only gripe is that you're made out of paper... feels like you die almost instantly. For shitty players like myself, that sucks lol.

Played MP for an hour, campaign for an hour as well. So disappointing. I really wanted to like this game, I even preordered on Steam, and it wasn't for Metro 2033!

While playing the MP (both ground control and TDM), it felt like an Eastern European mod of some imaginary CoD/BF hybrid FPS. I don't know how to explain it other than that. Has the large map, and vehicles of BF. And the quick movement and death, along with perks from CoD. Has a poor UI, poor graphics, passable sound, bad voice overs, and just doesn't feel smooth. There are some cool ideas there: buying a rocket launcher or a vehicle, the battle commander. In general though, these are ambitious ideas that can't prop up the average to worse gameplay. Echoing what many others in this thread have said, I felt like I should just go back to playing BC2.

The singleplayer so far is good enough for me to continue playing. Some very neat touches, as many have said before the details of the environments is of high quality. The story and premise is interesting so far, even if a lot of the dialogue isn't very good. The gunplay isn't bad, it just isn't that good either. Having said that, I am planning on finishing the campaign. One thing that came to mind though while playing is how good the Infinity Ward and Treyarch guys are at making a quality, linear FPS campaign.

A total bummer. I feel sorry for the KAOS guys, as they seemed to be really passionate about this project. The THQ management seemed like they were really trying to do cool things as well, what with the focus on new, different IP's designed with the core audience in mind.

justin.au

I can't say I'll be sad if (when?) Kaos are disbanded.

I bought Frontlines because of release hype and my bitter disappointment that ET:QW bombed (criminally underrated), played ten minutes and never played it again. The gameplay was just so awful.

Player impressions and gameplay videos of Homefront make me think Kaos don't deserve a third chance.

Sinatar said:
Same as every unreal engine game. c:\users\[yourname]\my documents\my games\homefront\configs\hfinput.ini

It's right near the top of the file, bmousesmoothing or something to that effect.

Ok that's what I thought, but I've never turned it off in an Unreal game before but seems necessary now. Thanks

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
justin.au said:
I can't say I'll be sad if (when?) Kaos are disbanded.

I bought Frontlines because of release hype and my bitter disappointment that ET:QW bombed (criminally underrated), played ten minutes and never played it again. The gameplay was just so awful.

Player impressions and gameplay videos of Homefront make me think Kaos don't deserve a third chance.

Well, you are wrong. :p

The game is worth the 7's and 8's it is getting and Homefront 2 should be even better.

People need to remember CoD and BF started somewhere too...

Finally got to play some MP action. Found using skirmish on Xbox got me into a match pretty fast. The other options no luck. Loving this multiplayer. I'm mowing down people with such ease. Battle Points are also sweet. Able to call in a Hellfire missile on the fly or a personal UAV is so nice. Played the first level in SP and it felt pretty run of the mill. I hope they get the server issues fixed soon. This game has a lot of potential from what I've played so far.

ok i am returning the game tomorrow (thank god i only rented it). multiplayer is full of snipers. when are FPS developers going to stop catering to snipers. They ruin objective based multiplayer games.

oh well, moving on... cya homefront!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
alr1ghtstart said:
So, is the campaign good? I don't really have any interest in the MP.
So far so good for me. Pacing is tight with some really well done "slow" parts where you get a chance to take in some of the details of the rebel faction and the general fallout of the occupation. Also, really good use of color, which you really don't see too much of nowadays.

alr1ghtstart said:
So, is the campaign good? I don't really have any interest in the MP.

outdated engine, horrible gunplay, low frame rate, and took me about 4 hrs to finish. anybody in this thread praising it is either having buyers remorse and trying to convince themselves that it isn't a turd or they work for the company that made it.

Top Bottom