• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

legacyzero

Banned
360 servers are fucked right now. When (and if) I can get into a server, I'm laggin all over the place. I've only had one enjoyable match so far that wasn't plagued with lag.

Another awesome thing is when you spawn in a heli outside the playing area and have less time than you need to get back in-bounds. Great.

Yeah, this game is pure garbage. If you're buying for the MP and don't have BC2, do yourself a favor and get it on Steam, since it's 1/4 the price and all around better.

Avoid this turd at all costs.

nyong

Banned
Ok, so I'm only 40 minutes into the SP campaign (PC). That said, I'd probably feel ripped off right now if the game hadn't been $50 and if I hadn't gotten Metro 2033 out of it. I had a sneaking suspicion the game wouldn't match the hype, but I did not anticipate the extent of the problems. The introduction video and the first 5 minutes of the non-gameplay game rocked my socks off...awesome stuff. Once the gameplay starts it falls to shit, though. Enemy AI will literally stand in the open with their back towards you during a firefight. The gunplay just feels "off," for lack of a better word...very unsatisfying. The graphics (models, environment) are probably bettered by Half-Life 2, although the attention to detail--regardless of shitty engine--is pretty good. Your progression through the surburbs is linear as hell, but it does look and feel like the suburbs. Animations are laughable.

Anyhow, if you're thinking about buying it for the single player, don't. Look elsewhere. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the entire package--apart from the introduction stuff--feels like a budget title: graphics, gameplay, and especially AI. At least wait for it to go on sale. I do plan on trying out multiplayer tonight and I'll post some impressions. If this pans out I'll probably get my moneys worth. So far I am quite disappointed, though.

God I'm really on the fence about picking this one up. I'm so close to getting it, but the recent pages aren't really convincing.

I like Battlefield, but I don't like Bad Company.

How are the maps in mp? Are they big and exspansive? Do they offer lots of area to move around without feeling like you are being funnled to the enemy?

How is the vehicle implementation? Balanced? Overpowered? Or worthless?

How smooth is the aiming.? I doubt it's CoD smooth, but if it's as solid as BC2 it won't be a problem.

Are players bullet sponges?

Does the game have an unlock system? And if it does, starting out do you feel very weak?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Sinatar said:
Trauma had a contract with EA where after a certain length of time they'd be entitled to royalties from BF2, EA fired them something like a week before that deadline.

As for Trauma's role in BF2? They didn't do design work, they prototyped DICE's ideas and gameplay elements in the 1942 engine while DICE worked out the tech for BF2's engine.
Thanks for the info. I always wondered what they did on that project.

sk3tch

SirButterstick said:
Another awesome thing is when you spawn in a heli outside the playing area and have less time than you need to get back in-bounds. Great.

Yeah, this game is pure garbage. If you're buying for the MP and don't have BC2, do yourself a favor and get it on Steam, since it's 1/4 the price and all around better.

You're killing me. :( I had such high hopes. Dying to play this later tonight. Hopefully I can get into a server. Day 1 is tough to plan for with an unproven game...servers are a long-term investment.

SapientWolf said:
What makes it really gauche is that DICE is the ones that fired them all in the first place. DICE tooted and booted Trauma Studios, and KAOS was formed from the remnants.

Are you serious?
Kaos is (part of) the old trauma studios?

HOLY COW, my last post hit even closer to home than I expected then.

Man this is heartbreaking (for me), I love Desert combat to death.
I can barely fathom the amount of .. well... evil that posesses DICE.

Those * (the swear words I'd like to use here would get me banned) literally bought their non profit (and superior) competitor for bf2 out, used them and threw them away when they were done.

And now this TERRIBLY misplaced twitter comment from what I hear is just some fairly 'junior' (in years, not function, ignore this paragraph if I'm mistaken) DICE employee who never even worked bc2 pc let alone bf2 or 1942 or road to rome talking trash about their new game?

What is wrong with this industry? It's like the goddamn nerd mafia!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I think we can all agree if you're looking for a robust SP experience, skip it. MP, however, is looking good but the jury's still out.

IDGAF because I buy COD for the MP. I bought HF for the MP. Just know what you're getting into.

To answer your questions:

Rahxephon91 said:
God I'm really on the fence about picking this one up. I'm so close to getting it, but the recent pages aren't really convincing.

I like Battlefield, but I don't like Bad Company.

How are the maps in mp? Are they big and exspansive? Do they offer lots of area to move around without feeling like you are being funnled to the enemy?

I really like the maps. Unfortunately, its the gameplay that sucks.

How is the vehicle implementation? Balanced? Overpowered? Are worthless?

I can't tell yet, but they seem fair.

How smooth is the aiming.? I doubt it's CoD smooth, but if it's as solid as BC2 it won't be a problem.

It's very smooth.

Are players bullet sponges?

No, they're frustratingly paper-thin.

Does the game have an unlock system? And if it does, starting outdo you feel very weak?

Yes, and no.

I wish I waited for reviews. I have never felt a case of buyers remorse this bad.

Makoto

I apologize if this has been asked but regarding aiming down the sight on the PC version, anyway to eliminate the separate sensitivity for it and just match it up with my non-ADS sensitivity?

Liberty4all

Banned
sk3tch said:
You're killing me. :( I had such high hopes. Dying to play this later tonight. Hopefully I can get into a server. Day 1 is tough to plan for with an unproven game...servers are a long-term investment.

I think you'll like it sketch. You played mag with me right?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
graywolf323 said:
reviews are mixed so far but what's the general impression here on GAF?

Campaign is overly scripted nonsense, but if I guess if you're into COD and it's ilk you might like it. The multiplayer definitely shows potential, but the matches seem to end a bit fast so far.

Liberty4all

Banned
graywolf323 said:
reviews are mixed so far but what's the general impression here on GAF?

Just as mixed I think. Some people like it some don't ... Just like the reviews. If you like mp shooters I still think it's a good game to pick up. Most that don't like it it's for single player reasons .... Also just like the reviews.

Mp is great.

Well I'm finished with my rental. Spend 4 hours on the campaign which was garbage. And got close to an hour in on MP before I hit the level 5 cap. Multiplayer is good enough that I'd keep playing but I'm not wasting money on the pass.

Tendo

I am so bad at this game. I'll get a bead on a guy and land four or five shots before he turns around and sneezes at me and I die on his first bullet. Way to COD feeling for me...I'll probably stick with BC2 until BF3 on PC.

And this game is butt ugly for a 2011 game. The textures and colors are so bleh.

Liberty4all

Banned
NHale said:
Do you work for THQ?

Currently unemployed actually. Was laid off 2 weeks ago. It's been a non stop beer and gaming fest since.

Well I also work with MSXBOX-WORLD but I don't really count enthusiast press as employment.

sk3tch

Bamelin said:
I think you'll like it sketch. You played mag with me right?

Yeah man! I loved MAG. I have been meaning to get back into it one of these days. Cool...I will find out how it is in about 2 hours. Once baby boy is in bed I am firing this up. :)

Fox Mulder

SirButterstick said:
To counter the above, it's absolute garbage not worth $50.

well I got it from Best Buy for $43 with a RZ certificate, and if it does suck, I can easily flip it on ebay for around the same price. No big loss to me.

CyReN

THQ stock fell 25% after reviews came out, crazy. Game reminds me of Singularity for some reason. Glad I rented it.

Rahxephon91 said:
We will have to wait till his user review on metacritc goes up to know for sure.

Amazing.

sk3tch

THQ posted about the server woes:

https://twitter.com/#!/homefrontgame/status/47781044228866049 -

"Demand for dedicated servers outstripped expectations. Though we're thrilled by the popularity, please bear with us as we bring more online."

It's always going to be this way with dedicated servers during the first week. You've got your rush of new players and you plan for a lot, but not too many servers so you can adequately balance cost/performance.

Liberty4all

Banned
SirButterstick said:
Wow?! Really? Am I not supposed to 'talk up' to you asshole

No you are not. Junior

Being a vocal junior aside you are wrong about the game. While there are surface level cod similarities in terms of gunplay, the game feels more like bf than cod with expansive maps and vehicles. How much time did you put into mp anyways before making your conclusions? 10 minutes?

Bamelin said:
No you are not. Junior

Being a vocal junior aside you are wrong about the game. While there are surface level cod similarities in terms of gunplay, the game feels more like bf than cod with expansive maps and vehicles. How much time did you put into mp anyways before making your conclusions? 10 minutes?

LOL no. You're wrong. It's really a shitty CoD clone. What do you call Ground Control mode or whatever . . . a Domination ripoff? It's CoD reskinned and with different maps.

Steam tells me about 6 hours so far. A little longer than 10 minutes. About 1 hour of that has been in single player. And I can tell you I'm pretty much done with this shitpile already.

Buyer's warning: this game is pure shit. If you're spending $50, you're better off getting Blops or the way-superior in every regard BC2.

LowParry

Yeah, I can't stand the SP.

As for MP. I got in a few matches. They call this dedicated servers? Meh. So anywho, first couple of matches was just learning the maps. I don't know the names so I'll give some description. First one was all houses, gas station of the sorts. Cars broken everywhere, etc. Team Deathmatch. I read before about heavy snipers. I hardly saw any of them so I figured what the hell, I'll become the sniper. And I must say, I had a lot of fun with it. Snipe and move. Snipe and move. I kept thinking I could plant a claymore to cover my back which was to my surprise, not in my inventory.

Moving on, another match was some outdoors something. I honestly can't remember much of it other than I found a place I could snipe all over the map from. Two shots and they die. Loving it. :D - Through this match, a lot of heavy use of vehicles were used. Since I couldn't do much about them I just kept my search going and found those who liked to run out in the open for the quick kill.

I had fun with small time I had with it. Hit lvl 4 and now can use a UAV with BPs. Oh and that personal UAV is nice. Shocked that it lasts for so long as I lived. Or so what it looked liked. And that personal little tank drone or whatever. That's hella cool. Can't wait to open up the other modes and items to check out

The few times I tried the assault rifle, the guns feel strange when shooting. Though I've learned that I hate red dot sights so with the attachment removed, it felt a bit better. Ammo clips seem huge than to what I'm used to using in CoD. Espeically the snipe clip. I think was 10 rounds per clip before full reload. That's a hella lot but I'm not complaining.

plc268

SirButterstick said:
LOL no. You're wrong. It's really a shitty CoD clone. What do you call Ground Control mode or whatever . . . a Domination ripoff? It's CoD reskinned and with different maps.

Domination ripoff...what?

Please tell me you've played Battlefield before and are not talking out of your ass.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Played a little of both for about an hour. I like it. It is a CoD rip job thru and thru with a little bit of a different flavor. Again, I like it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
SirButterstick said:

Steam tells me about 6 hours so far. A little longer than 10 minutes. About 1 hour of that has been in single player. And I can tell you I'm pretty much done with this shitpile already.

Buyer's warning: this game is pure shit. If you're spending $50, you're better off getting Blops or the way-superior in every regard BC2.
Not gonna comment on BLOPS but there's no excuse for not owning BC2 by now. There's parts of the MP experience that are extremely frustrating so it's good to rotate it with other titles. Problem is, there's not that many to choose from if vehicular combat is your thing.

Ground control is capture points right? Well given the teams history I'd say they are more inspired by Battlefield then anything.

But even though I don't think it's a CoD clone, it's doubtful that CoD didnt play any part in the design of this game.

I am a bit taken back by the fact that they didn't try to refine their frontlines game mode.

plc268 said:
Domination ripoff...what?

Please tell me you've played Battlefield before and are not talking out of your ass.

I've been playing BF since 1942. This is much closer to CoD than BF. The game modes are pretty much identical.

LowParry

Sidenote: Why can't shooters have the option of letting me peek over the ladder I'm climbing and shoot with a pistol or something instead of having to climb all the way over. Yeah it's an easy kill for that one who's sitting there watching the one climbing up but c'mon. Give the climber some sort of chance.

SirButterstick said:
I've been playing BF since 1942. This is much closer to CoD than BF. The game modes are pretty much identical.

The "Ground War" mode you speak if much more closer to BF. After the three points are taken, you move further into the map to take the next three points. If you fail, you fall back to reclaim the prior points you won, etc.

Liberty4all

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
Ground control is capture points right? Well given the teams history I'd say they are more inspired by Battlefield then anything.

But even though I don't think it's a CoD clone, it's doubtful that CoD didnt play any part in the design of this game.

I am a bit taken back by the fact that they didn't try to refine their fronlines game mode.

The cap points go back and forth depending on who wins each round but yeah I know you mean I loved frontlines

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
SirButterstick said:

I disagree with you completely, but whatever.

So far I am having fun with the multiplayer. There are a few things here and there that need tweaked, but overall it is a solid experience.

I wasn't expecting much out of the singleplayer but it's horrible even by Cod standards. I think I spent just as much time waiting at doors and refrigerators until the squadmates opened them as I did shooting my gun. And the very final stretch of game is infinite spawning enemy bullshit at its finest. And I don't know how but the MP graphics are superior to the SP campaign.

It's too bad so many of you are having server-issues, because I've been playing this on my PS3 all night without any issues and I'm still totally in love with the multiplayer.

This game deserves some serious credit for the rcon admin tools and the ability to run your own (dedicated I'm assuming) clanservers.

I can't believe that I actually started to see this as something out of the ordinary, but it's 2011 in bizarro world and such are the times.

edit : I feel alone in my server support cravings :(

Top Bottom