• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

Captain N

THQ is pretty bold for releasing the online like this..I don't think the stock fell because of bad reviews..Fairly certain it fell because THQ just released a $60 beta.

I rented it today and just beat it. I know its getting a lot of flak but for a rental it was pretty good. I wanted to try the multiplayer but my rental didn't come with the card so oh well. The single player was worth playing through though.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Guess I'm a fucking simpleton then. It ain't gonna win any awards but Im definitely enjoying it. Stage in the baseball field was pretty tight.

CozMick

Banned
DUFFMCWALIN said:
I rented it today and just beat it. I know its getting a lot of flak but for a rental it was pretty good. I wanted to try the multiplayer but my rental didn't come with the card so oh well. The single player was worth playing through though.

You get to play multiplayer upto rank 5 as a "freebie" ;)

sk3tch

DUFFMCWALIN said:
You can play MP for "free" - just cancel out and don't enter in the code. Lets you play 'til level 5.

EDIT: beaten damn you.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
KingOfKong said:
outdated engine, horrible gunplay, low frame rate, and took me about 4 hrs to finish. anybody in this thread praising it is either having buyers remorse and trying to convince themselves that it isn't a turd or they work for the company that made it.

You just seem to be awfully full of hate. Telling people their opinions are not valid.

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, PS3 version.

Fuck, this game is great. (multi)

Everything feels.........good. Its just tight as hell. Love the game. Love it. Well worth the money.

Plus I'm getting apaches like crazy.

KingOfKong said:
outdated engine, horrible gunplay, low frame rate, and took me about 4 hrs to finish. anybody in this thread praising it is either having buyers remorse and trying to convince themselves that it isn't a turd or they work for the company that made it.

I'm neither and I got the game for free. It's fun, nothing too exctiting but not horrible either. It's a good run of the mill bored of the rest of your games kind of thing. If you can get it for a decent discount it's worth playing but I wouldn't pay full price for it.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
OldJadedGamer said:
I'm neither and I got the game for free. It's fun, nothing too exctiting but not horrible either. It's a good run of the mill bored of the rest of your games kind of thing. If you can get it for a decent discount it's worth playing but I wouldn't pay full price for it.
word. pretty much this. we old jaded gamers still know wassup.

Disappointing to here the impressions. I was kind of hyped for this game, though it's always the same loop - hype builds, good reviews and footage, first user impressions are great and then the truth comes out and the game is not nearly as good as I'd hoped.

Dragging the thread slightly off topic, given that I hate COD at the moment and want a more tactical shooter (got crysis 2 pre ordered for my TDM fix) - and Homefront is more or less out of the question. What is BF:BC2 like now?

When I played it at release on XBL, it was littered with Snipers and vehicle campers, there were fuck all maps, conquest mode was shit (some pooled ticket system), and the gunplay/gun-models were very poor. I found the gameplay enjoyable and some elements were amazing but I felt disappointed and returned the game. How is it now? Is there any DLC? what does it add and how much does it cost? I'm thinking of grabbing it tomorrow to get my fix until BF3.

Fox Mulder

The SP campaign itself is fine for me right now. My main gripe is with how I jumped into the highest difficulty and keep getting killed through walls I'm using for cover. I'm just tired of the lack of a real cover system in a 2011 FPS. Inching around corners to shoot at guys already aiming at you is shitty in CoD, but it's made worse when bullets can magically go through walls like in this game.

oh, and you can't throw back grenades apparently either.

I look forward to trying out to multiplayer, but like many games lately, they fuck it up on launch and it'll take weeks to get right. I just went through this shit with Test Drive Unlimited 2, maybe I shouldn't buy a game at release again.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
KingOfKong said:
Now that's unfair to Epic. If devs don't want to push their engine, that's the devs fault, not the engine's.

Stallion Free said:
Now that's unfair to Epic. If devs don't want to push their engine, that's the devs fault, not the engine's.

I don't think I would even say they are not pushing it. They have HDR, anamorphic flaring, all kinds of particles and atmospherics, camera level spots, then the environments are very detailed and the characters look more than acceptable. Some beautiful explosion and effects work in there too.

Peoples expectations are beginning to get away from reality. All it takes is to go back a year or two and look at games on the same engine and compare. Frontlines is no where near as lush as this game and Frontlines was actually pretty damn impressive for the time in many aspects.

Bought it last night, enjoying it so far.

Anyone else find the game difficult?

I was playing on normal and was getting torn to pieces on the first mission. I literally died about 10 times then I decided to restart and play on easy. Maybe I just suck, I dunno. Still a fun game though.

I love the beginning cinematic.

Warm Machine said:
I don't think I would even say they are not pushing it. They have HDR, anamorphic flaring, all kinds of particles and atmospherics, camera level spots, then the environments are very detailed and the characters look more than acceptable. Some beautiful explosion and effects work in there too.

Peoples expectations are beginning to get away from reality. All it takes is to go back a year or two and look at games on the same engine and compare. Frontlines is no where near as lush as this game and Frontlines was actually pretty damn impressive for the time in many aspects.
Well said! The only thing really lacking are the textures. Unfortunately, textures are the first thing people see so they kind of gloss over the other technical bells & whistles if the textures are really poor.

Heavy said:
Well said! The only thing really lacking are the textures. Unfortunately, textures are the first thing people see so they kind of gloss over the other technical bells & whistles if the textures are really poor.

I installed the game on my 360. The only time I've really noticed bad textures is when they start streaming in at the very start of the game. I have seen some bad shader/material choices where things that don't need normal maps (like the blood decal on the bus seen in screenshots in this thread) have them and they look really artificial looking.

Warm Machine said:
I installed the game on my 360. The only time I've really noticed bad textures is when they start streaming in at the very start of the game. I have seen some bad shader/material choices where things that don't need normal maps (like the blood decal on the bus seen in screenshots in this thread) have them and they look really artificial looking.
I have the PC version running @1080p just a few feet away from me so that's probably why I noticed them more.

KingOfKong said:
Wow, apologies for enjoying the game.

Liberty4all

Banned
KingOfKong said:

We get it you don't like it ... Hating on the game though won't affect the enjoyment of those of us that think the multi is great.

Spl1nter

Deadly Cyclone said:
Well, you are wrong. :p

The game is worth the 7's and 8's it is getting and Homefront 2 should be even better.

People need to remember CoD and BF started somewhere too...

Battlefield 1942 - Metacritic: 89
Won multiple, multiplayer game of the year awards etc...

Call of Duty - Metacritic: 91
Won GOTY awards im quite sure

Both series started somewhere much higher up than Homefront. They both were generational games. Thats the way you create a massive FPS IP. Gears and Halo are the exact same.

Kaos will most likely be disbanded or relocated. There is no way that studio is staying in New York after 2 games that did not achieve expectations. The good news is that Homefront is not the complete clusterfuck that FFOW was.

Liberty4all

Banned
Pylon_Trooper said:
Really looking forward to getting into this one, had fun with Frontlines.

And Bamelin...your people! Your people!

I know I finally let them down ;(

GAF can be a harsh mistress. I deserved it though

Spl1nter said:
Battlefield 1942 - Metacritic: 89
Won multiple, multiplayer game of the year awards etc...

Call of Duty - Metacritic: 91
Won GOTY awards im quite sure

Both series started somewhere much higher up than Homefront. They both were generational games. Thats the way you create a massive FPS IP. Gears and Halo are the exact same.

Kaos will most likely be disbanded or relocated. There is no way that studio is staying in New York after 2 games that did not achieve expectations. The good news is that Homefront is not the complete clusterfuck that FFOW was.
Uh...? Someone explain this?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Spl1nter said:

I will disagree, Frontlines sold alright and Homefront (based on pre-orders and hype) looks like it will sell well. Money is what counts more in this situation.

Plus, I believe THQ may be okay with the scores. I highly doubt they expected 9.5's and the game to become a CoD and BF killer in its first iteration. They have already announced Homefront 2 and I believe it will be one of those series that jumps significantly from 1 to 2, as we have seen with many games this generation.

Who knows though, really. I just know KAOS has some awesome people who really are dedicated to making great games.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Who knows though, really. I just know KAOS has some awesome people who really are dedicated to making great games.

Well, when they make a good one, let us know.

After playing for a few more hours tonight, I'm done. I feel like I've seen all the I can see with this game. And it's not even that fun to begin with.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
SirButterstick said:

After playing for a few more hours tonight, I'm done. I feel like I've seen all the I can see with this game. And it's not even that fun to begin with.

We get it, you don't like the game, why continue to sit in this thread and insult it and the people who made it at every turn?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Wow the "invert mouse" option doesn't apply to drones and vehicles making them completely and utterly unplayable for me.

I think I may have found settings for it in the input ini file but come on now. The more I play of the multi, the more I wish I hadn't bought this.

justin.au

TacticalFox88 said:
Uh...? Someone explain this?
FFOW = Frontlines: Fuel of War. Kaos' first game. It was below average in terms of gameplay and everyone was disappointed that this was the best the Desert Combat guys could come up with.

Other's are more charitable in their opinions of FFOW than I am. I found it to be an abomination.

Liberty4all

Banned
osnake said:
Wow those choppers in MP make hard to survive, and no heat seeking launcher to level 34? fail.

You unlock a ground drone around lvl 10 or so that has lock on missiles. They ruin choppers day.

The proximity launcher also can be used in one of the default classes but for customization yeah it unlocks pretty high

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Finally started getting in some games at the end of the night, I really do enjoy the multiplayer and have been doing well. It lacks some features I would like to see for the second, and it could always use a few more weapons and abilities, but for a new IP to hold my attention in the multiplayer realm is pretty rare especially in a genre with this many heavy hitters.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea that ini tweak didn't work. So basically I can't use vehicles or drones. This is awesome.

That combined with the campfest map design, hilariously overpowered sniper weapons and overly busy clustered maps is turning this into my worst purchase of the year. What a waste.

I care not what the reviews are saying.... I still think this game is going to sell a butt load of copies getting scores of 7 or not.

Look at Medal of Honor for an example. It sold a few millions right? But was mostly canned and panned by most reviews - yet the people who bought it didn't care. I bought it, I liked it. I probably agree that it was a 7/10 game but it was in no way a 'bad' game.

Why does scoring a 7 mean that the game is bad? To me, a 7 is above average. That's why, I'm sure I'm going to enjoy the shit out of Homefront's SP, just like I enjoyed Medal of Honor's SP. I never touched the MP in Medal of Honor, and I suppose I'll check out Homefront's MP just to see what it's like, but I'm here for a 5 hour campaign (short and sweet makes me happy).

Even though a lot of people are saying it's not much of a shooter and it's cliche and standard without any stand out features - the story and presentation seems to be enough to pull me in to the point that I think I'll like it more than Black Ops (of which, I felt like the SP sucked absolutely shit balls).

All of the things that people are saying are wrong with the game are exactly what was wrong with Black Ops except that got 9's...

Lets put this into perspective and I'll talk about Black Ops (but when you read them you can see that they're the same things that Homefront is being canned for...

Shit Graphics
Dark and Gritty / Heavy Story with average Execution thanks to bad voice acting and design ideas.
Moving from area to area shooting all the bad guys and moving on
An awesome Helicopter level
Many different weapons that all feel essentially the same

Wow... but Black Ops gets 9's and Homefront is a poor 'rip off' of a game... it's amazing the difference having a brand name tacked on the front can do.

bhlaab

Heavy said:

So the graphics are great until you look at them

Spl1nter said:
FFOW was a bad game. What more is there to explain.

It wasn't a bad game at all. In what way was it bad? Was it the 50 player online multi? The vast array of vehicles? Huge well designed maps? Great useful and very balanced class system? The unique drone vehicles? The multiplayer ranking based on team play instead of k/d? The Frontline mechanic that forced tactical teamwork instead of lone wolf tactics? The best surround sound audio on a console game to that point eclipsing that of Bad Company? The destructible environments?

Or maybe because you never played it.

Pikelet

SirButterstick said:

Didn't they make the Desert Combat mod for BF1942? That game was awesome.

Liberty4all

Banned
Warm Machine said:
It wasn't a bad game at all. In what way was it bad? Was it the 50 player online multi? The vast array of vehicles? Huge well designed maps? Great useful and very balanced class system? The unique drone vehicles? The multiplayer ranking based on team play instead of k/d? The Frontline mechanic that forced tactical teamwork instead of lone wolf tactics? The best surround sound audio on a console game to that point eclipsing that of Bad Company? The destructible environments?

Or maybe because you never played it.

So true. Frontlines was criminally underrated. My clan and I put many many hours into it.

Top Bottom