• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Marleyman said:
Are there vehicles waiting to be grabbed up as in Battlefield? I heard you need to purchase them.

Right, you need to purchase. There isn't anyone waiting around for a tank to spawn, like in the BF games.

The MP, while extremely derivative of both COD and BF, is a lot of fun and does some interesting things.

I love how they give players effective ways to locate the enemy. I never felt like I had to search out the action or hunt for campers, especially on the bigger maps. I think the personal UAV, once activated, lasts until you die.

32 player dedicated servers on console is pure win, hit detection is the best I've seen on a console.

BattleCommander is the best addition overall. I've only been able to get 2 stars so far, but the idea that 4 players are actively hunting you is intense.

One complaint Ive seen a lot is "Snipers, everywhere, ALLTHETIME!", and I just wanted to add that even though this is obviously only based on one day of play, I thought the snipers were VERY balanced. No QS'ing BS possible it seems, multiple to the body to kill, one to the head, and while there are a decent amount of sniping places, you are left naked and very visible. With UAV sweeps, recon drones, etc., its really not going to work in your advantage in this one if you hole up and not move around at all.

eznark

Banned
TheApatheticOne said:
One complaint Ive seen a lot is "Snipers, everywhere, ALLTHETIME!", and I just wanted to add that even though this is obviously only based on one day of play, I thought the snipers were VERY balanced. No QS'ing BS possible it seems, multiple to the body to kill, one to the head, and while there are a decent amount of sniping places, you are left naked and very visible. With UAV sweeps, recon drones, etc., its really not going to work in your advantage in this one if you hole up and dont move around at all.

If I ever play a shooter and day one isn't inundated with snipers I will probably fall over and die from shock. Remember BC2's first couple weeks? Good lord.

eznark said:
If I ever play a shooter and day one isn't inundated with snipers I will probably fall over and die from shock. Remember BC2's first couple weeks? Good lord.

Haha, nothing was worse than Medal of Honor. That game takes the cake when it comes to number of snipers on both sides, for me at least.

Yesterday, I barely saw any to be honest. I can only remember flushing out one or two at most.

commish

eznark said:

I actually sold my BC2 because of that. I take it things are better now?

wwm0nkey

Mr. Snrub said:
It's a shame that a game with almost universally good MP reviews and metacritic of 75% (FWIW) is considering a bomb/shitty game.
Well just saying what some of my friends have said/sent messages to all their friends about.

Though that $42 price does seem appealing.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
How is the Playstation Move support for this game, after playing through Killzone3 with Move+Sharpshooter I"ll never go back to using DS3 or 360 pad? Thanks

eznark said:

Not sure why Devs keep catering to them.

DICE bent over backwards to make sure recon was the best class in Bc2.

Mortars to take out tanks at long range, c4 for killing tanks at close range, snipers to take out infantry with 1 hit at all ranges due to quick scoping, wall hacking recon balls.

They made the hands down the most versatile class.

U2NUMB

Marleyman said:
Are there vehicles waiting to be grabbed up as in Battlefield? I heard you need to purchase them.

Its a purchase thing.. similar to Counterstrike or Shadowrun. You earn BP points and can spend them on intant items you pre lock or you can spawn directly into a vehicles or your choice if you have enough points. You can also without spending money spawn into a team mates vehicle if they have an open spot.

It works pretty well and there is no mad rush for vehicles.

commish

gibon3z said:

Mortars to take out tanks at long range, c4 for killing tanks at close range, snipers to take out infantry with 1 hit at all ranges due to quick scoping, wall hacking recon balls.

In Killzone 3, GG gave the sniper class cloaking, the ability to jam radar, the ability to not appear on radar even when firing, the ability to carry an assault rifle, the ability to kill with a silenced weapon without breaking cloaking (which is fun because snipers spawn with a silenced auto pistol). Easily the best class overall :\

I love the way you can use Battle Points, but sometimes I feel like a kid in a candy store. Do I want a tank, air recon, or an attack drone?

I was doing good enough with the air recon drones last night, that I had games where thats all I did. Id call one to start the match, earn enough BP with it for another one, run out of gas/get shot down, repeat, and would do that for the entire match. Drove the other team crazy! : D My teammates sure did benefit though, everyone was positive.

I have been playing Multi by myself and I have been having a blast. I have yet to get in a game where its a snipefest. I am loving the drones. Great game. :)

TheApatheticOne said:
I love the way you can use Battle Points, but sometimes I feel like a kid in a candy store. Do I want a tank, air recon, or an attack drone?

I was doing good enough with the air recon drones last night, that I had games where thats all I did. Id call one to start the match, earn enough BP with it for another one, run out of gas/get shot down, repeat, and would do that for the entire match. Drove the other team crazy! : D My teammates sure did benefit though, everyone was positive.

Damned fun to spawn on a team's Little Bird and spot enemies from there.

commish said:
In Killzone 3, GG gave the sniper class cloaking, the ability to jam radar, the ability to not appear on radar even when firing, the ability to carry an assault rifle, the ability to kill with a silenced weapon without breaking cloaking (which is fun because snipers spawn with a silenced auto pistol). Easily the best class overall :\

They should just nerf the sniper class, make them a downright bare class, make it such a painful class to use that only the extremely good excel at it. Then the ranks of snipers should diminish drastically.

Black ops did a pretty good job with this.

CozMick

Banned
tinfoilhatman said:
How is the Playstation Move support for this game, after playing through Killzone3 with Move+Sharpshooter I"ll never go back to using DS3 or 360 pad? Thanks

There's Move support?

Moofers

Finished it this morning. Took around 4 to 4 1/2 hours on default difficulty. It had some neat ideas (goliath, some of the "events") and was fun, but I'm glad I didn't buy it. With such a short campaign and a multiplayer that refuses to let me play with my friends, $60 is too much right now. Especially when you consider that its so much like Call of Duty and the feeling is kind of "been there, done that" a lot of the time.

I'd like to see them make another one and give it a longer campaign and more robust multiplayer with servers that work on day one. I'd also like to see them go a bit more sci-fi as well with even more crazy weaponry like goliath and those sentry guns. Take it a bit more into the fantasy zone to help the game stand out as more than a Call of Duty clone.

Overall, I'm glad I played it because I almost didn't. Kaos/THQ, regroup and give it another shot. :)

Deadly Cyclone said:
You want a lot of Battle Points? Recon drone, you will not be disappointed. :p

Haha, yup, pretty damned fun too. Seems like you get a lot of XP, too.

Speaking of XP, is there a breakdown of the XP system? BP is featured prominently in-game, so I don't usually see much saying "X amount of XP earned".

Anyone start creating any custom loadouts yet? If so, post them--I'm new to this COD-style loadout system.

distrbnce

Banned
After playing for a while last night, I came into this thread today prepared to play HomeFront Defense Force, but it looks like the tone has changed in here.

I think the multiplayer does a lot of pretty awesome things, and a lot of them are new to me, like the bounty system. And I really love the in-game currency/store. It's adds just a touch more strategy that I appreciate.

People hating on this game really should find better ways to expend energy. I think it's an awesome appetizer between BC2 and BF3.

I'm playing on OnLive and need more friends too!: distrbnce

Raul_Atreides

Neo Member
Man it's getting hard to keep a ground vehicle alive already. I've lost count of how many times i am in a tank/LAV and quickly EMP'd followed by about 6 rockets for a fiery death.

Also, are there any guided/lock on missle options to take out helicopters? The 2 infantry launchers say that they are dumbfire, and the secondary on the LAV i believe is dumbfire. But I swear I have been locked on in a chopper before.

Raul_Atreides said:
Man it's getting hard to keep a ground vehicle alive already. I've lost count of how many times i am in a tank/LAV and quickly EMP'd followed by about 6 rockets for a fiery death.

Also, are there any guided/lock on missle options to take out helicopters? The 2 infantry launchers say that they are dumbfire, and the secondary on the LAV i believe is dumbfire. But I swear I have been locked on in a chopper before.

I think you can lock on as another chopper, and maybe the AA drone (once unlocked).

But the proximity launcher is pretty effective. You just need to fire it so it gets near the chopper and it explodes.

EDIT: Also, remember to set your vehicle loadouts once you unlock them. By default, they have a few ability points that are unfulfilled.

EDIT 2: Guide for weapons, perks, unlocks

desu

In case youre a pc gamer and hate the looong start up, just rename the following files (in homefront\gcgame\movies):

Legalscreen_PC.bik
Nvidia.bik
THQ.bik
Threelogos.bik

(for multiplayer)
BattleCommander.bik
battlePoints.bik
GroundControl.bik

(for instance add a .bak to all of them). Then you will instantly start at the main menu.

Spl1nter

gibon3z said:

Or the weakest class in BC2. But I could understand how someone who isn't good at the game and gets killed by a sniper would think that. Please try to argue how it is stronger in comparison to the other classes., Snrub can back up my BC2 credentials.

ghostmind

Wow, Amazon has this game for $42 with a $15 credit bonus. I don't think I've seen pricing so agressive just a day or two after launch.

eznark

Banned
ghostmind said:
Wow, Amazon has this game for $42 with a $15 credit bonus. I don't think I've seen pricing so agressive just a day or two after launch.

Wow, that kind of sucks. I paid $60 for it yesterday. (I did get the credit though).

Marleyman

Banned
Spl1nter said:
Or the weakest class in BC2. But I could understand how someone who isn't good at the game and gets killed by a sniper would think that. Please try to argue, Snrub can back up my BC2 credentials.

I feel the same way about sniping in BC2.

maxxpower

Spl1nter said:
Or the weakest class in BC2. But I could understand how someone who isn't good at the game and gets killed by a sniper would think that. Please try to argue how it is stronger in comparison to the other classes., Snrub can back up my BC2 credentials.

It all the depends on the player to be honest. If a player is damn good they can make the recon class look like the best. Same goes for the other three classes.

PRESS A TO SKIP
that really doesn't need to be plaster everywhere and left up the whole time. I think if someone wants to skip something they're gonna spam every button until they find it.

Anyway, what's the best way to take out helicopters at low levels in multiplayer? Any tips?

angelfly

ghostmind said:
I don't see any mention of a $15 credit. Does suck since I preordered for the $10 credit which turned into $15 credit but $20 off would have been better.

Spl1nter

maxxpower said:
It all the depends on the player to be honest. If a player is damn good they can make the recon class look like the best. Same goes for the other three classes.

well no shit. Ive come top of server rounds using my pistol only. However, overall because of the gunplay and other design decisions the recon class is the weakest in the game.

vocab

Spl1nter said:

Ya. Recon is pretty weak, especially compared to 2142 recon, which was really good.

scogoth

Spl1nter said:

Recon is easy to play as in not get killed, you just sit at the back of the map. To actually play it well you have to be really good like Spl1nter. The only way to be useful as recon is to actually move into the battlefield and use the high power of the rifles to kill before being killed. It is frustrating to be shot from a mile away from some sniper but in the end you realize that you were 1 of the 3 kills they got all game.

Mikey Jr.

Wow, that drone that puts people on radar is seriously overpowered.

I wasn't going to say anything, but I have gotten apaches literally 3 minutes into a match because of it. Feels game breaking to me. Like, there is rarely a tdm match where I am not getting apaches.

I have gotten a 2800 bp apache and 2100 scout in one tdm match because of it.

The amount of points it gets, or cool down on scanning enemies, or something needs to be nerfed.

ghostmind said:

Wait, $15 credit? I don't see a mention of that on the page; does it show up when you put it in your cart?

That might be enough to push me over the fence on a purchase...

commish

divisionbyzorro said:
Wait, $15 credit? I don't see a mention of that on the page; does it show up when you put it in your cart?

That might be enough to push me over the fence on a purchase...

Credit was a mistake and was pulled.

LowParry

Any word of any patch work of the sort with matchmaking? Fixes? Blah? They still have that message up about putting up more servers but can't find any confirmation of such things done.

Anyone else unlock the Airbursting pro pipe yet ?

It completely destroys snipers under the right circumstances.

Wish it came with some kind of optical sight though, trying to aim at specific parts of buildings in order to kill the sniper hiding behind a wall is really difficult with the standard reticle and no zoom.

23ru7hd.jpg

so hard to aim, there is a sniper on that structure btw.

Top Bottom