• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

Fox Mulder

commish said:
No way of knowing. Doesn't seem to be any problem finding 32 player games that are completely full.

The only issue I have with the game is that the rounds are over too quickly. However, I am pretty sure that they are this short because of balancing issues; if the rounds were longer, the air would be filled with choppers.

Dead Space 2, which was amazing, had a $20 price drop the day after release. KZ3 also had a price drop shortly after release, as did Bulletstorm. I'm pretty sure none of those games are 30 bucks right now.

except that this was apparently a highly preordered game, and there's bound to be tons of used copies flipped quick. I don't care about buying new anymore after the shit these companies ship out lately.

desu

Mr. Snrub said:
Do you have anything to contribute or is every post going to be an attention-seeking troll attempt?

Dont know about that guy, but everything in his post is right. Small obstacles are a problem for bombs or vehicles. Guns are pretty much laser guns...

Ganhyun

I have to say, with the crummy SP, and all the issues I have trying to play MP on this, I wish I'd never bought this game. :(

And for those wondering:

360, Fiber connection, every other game I play all full green bars. This game I never get above 2 yellow bars. Almost every game I play has 1-2 guys full green raping all the yellow/red bars. I tried skirmish and its even worse. I tested my connection, I played this, red bar for 3 straight games in different rooms. I go to modern warfare 2 and im full green, so I know its not my connection.

commish said:
No way of knowing. Doesn't seem to be any problem finding 32 player games that are completely full.

The only issue I have with the game is that the rounds are over too quickly. However, I am pretty sure that they are this short because of balancing issues; if the rounds were longer, the air would be filled with choppers.

samus4ever said:
A lot since the servers are always full right now. I was able to get into matches last night after 10pm est and all playlists were full with 24 players plus playing.

Hmm, interesting.

I just started watching an LP of the SP. Man that opening is hilariously insane. It's like John Milinus was sniffing glue when he wrote it. Stills looks fun as hell in a goofy way (a lot more than Red Dawn ever was). I just wish this thing wasn't Metal of Honor length. Oh well that's what the 20 and under bin is for.

~Kinggi~

Banned
commish said:
Amazon gave me the difference. So, with the 15 dollars in promotional credit I received for pre-ordering, the game cost me a net price of under $30. Seeing how much I am loving MP, it is well worth it.
Sent off an email to customer service addressing my wish for a difference refund and my concerns about the business practice of such a large price drop so close to release day.

Hopefully ill get help.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Hmm, interesting.

I just started watching an LP of the SP. Man that opening is hilariously insane. It's like John Milinus was sniffing glue when he wrote it. Stills looks fun as hell in a goofy way (a lot more than Red Dawn ever was). I just wish this thing wasn't Metal of Honor length. Oh well that's what the 20 and under bin is for.

Can you rent? It really is the perfect game to rent. You can beat the SP easily, and if you enjoy the MP (seems most ppl do), you might pick it up for cheaper.

Can't wait for tomorrow so I cna try this game myself, i'm not hyped at all really for this game since I have seen zero advertising for it, learned all that I know from gaffers.

MP videos looked really fun and if I can have that fun for a month before moving on I will be happy, I actually sold BC2 to fund buying this game because I played enough of BC2 to become a little bored with it, it was great but it was also just sitting on my shelf doing nothing so might as well try another shooter out :p

Liberty4all

Banned
Raide said:
For those that played and enjoyed Frontlines, how do you feel about Homefront?

Homefront feels like a direct sequel.

Similar gameplay and fun. Slightly smaller maps and more focused combat as capture points are closer to each other.

Frontlines was epic though ... That chopper map, my god. Homefront loses a little of that epic feel due to smaller number of players, but in return gives a better game flow overall.

Drones are just as fun as they were in Frontlines ... Even better actually.

commish said:
Can you rent? It really is the perfect game to rent. You can beat the SP easily, and if you enjoy the MP (seems most ppl do), you might pick it up for cheaper.

Nah, unfortunately the (shitty) Blockbuster near me is in going out of business mode so no luck with being able to rent it. Rental was how I got to play MOH, since I didn't have any interest in it's MP.

Raide

Bamelin said:
Homefront feels like a direct sequel.

Similar gameplay and fun. Slightly smaller maps and more focused combat as capture points are closer to each other.

Frontlines was epic though ... That chopper map, my god. Homefront loses a little of that epic feel due to smaller number of players, but in return gives a better game flow overall.

Drones are just as fun as they were in Frontlines ... Even better actually.

Sounds good. Wondering if it will be a good stop-gap for BF3. I loved Frontlines and I am glad to hear the drones are still in and fun to use. Shame about the scale being smaller, I really did enjoy those epic battles and EMPing down stuff. :D

Mr. Snrub said:
How was the post-launch support for Frontlines?

I think there were two major patches on 360 after release. One fixed some detrimental problems such as being able to die by airstrike or otherwise immediately after spawning. I think another had to do with auto turrets. The list of changes and improvements were significant across the board.

They took a good 3-4 weeks or more to hit though as they had to get by MS certification.

There was also a really nice map pack that was released which is now free on the marketplace.

Ganhyun

Bamelin said:
The pure spite and hate from some about this game boggles the mind.

I honestly don't hate the game. I just wish it were better implemented considering the flaws I and others are constantly seeing. Maybe after the first week things calm down and work better. Maybe not. Im giving the game at least a week before I fully decide on it, though right now I wish I hadn't bought it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
Sent off an email to customer service addressing my wish for a difference refund and my concerns about the business practice of such a large price drop so close to release day.

Hopefully ill get help.

I have already received a response.

"I've requested a refund of $16.03 for the price difference to your Visa card."

God damn Amazon is so wonderful.

I find it funny so many people are having lag issues online because this game runs flawless for me. Ironic because I have connection issues with every other game I've played online. Maybe I live near one of the servers?

legacyzero

Banned
Raide said:
For those that played and enjoyed Frontlines, how do you feel about Homefront?

Frontlines was a huge, and fun experience. Homefront is great, but it feels a bit derivative od COD.

I feel that I'll enjoy this WAY more than BLOPS though.

Ramirez

Well, I went ahead and opened it, and I'm glad I did. This game is really fun so far, I was a little eh about it at first, but I got me an ACR plus a sight and finally went on a good run last match. Only gripes I have thus far is that the snipers are way too easy to use and way too abundant, really wish the class wasn't even in the game, and the graphics are pretty bad, I could handle the graphics if the framerate was smoother, but oh well.

Definitely a good game thus far, and I reccommend anyone who is tired of CoD to check it out, as it kind of feels like CoD with vehicles. Not as good as BC2 for me, but still good. Oh and the hit detection in all of my matches has been awesome, I was playing 24 man TDM, not sure if those are dedicated servers or not.

I however, could not find a match of ground control, it would just keep repeating the reserving slots thing. :|

angelfly

Finally got a chance to jump into multiplayer and so far it's good. I've been playing sniper only and finding it to be very satisfying. I am shocked though at how easily you can knife people. I managed to clear out 4 guys guarding the checkpoint in ground control using just the knife back to back.

commish

legacyzero said:
Frontlines was a huge, and fun experience. Homefront is great, but it feels a bit derivative od COD.

I feel that I'll enjoy this WAY more than BLOPS though.

I just don't understand how people can say the game is derivative of COD... the gameplay seems so different to me.

FINALBOSS

Banned
This game really sucks.

People on PS3...are you noticing graphical white looking messes near grass area? It's an eyesore. Plus frozen enemies (or teammates) that don't have a name and are just frozen in the air?

It's just so.....meh.

Bamelin said:
The pure spite and hate from some about this game boggles the mind.
Fact of the matter is that its a game with a decent but too short SP and a good, and at times great, MP. Definitely hampered by an overzealous marketing campaign for the SP and not enough focus on the real strength, the MP. Solid 7 or 8 game.

Too much hyperbolic bitching in this thread.

plc268

Damn, I just can't get the hang of MP. I mean, I normally suck at FPS games, but I'm usually a 0.9-1.0 kdr player. Here in Homefront I'm a 0.4.

I know part of it is that I'm terrible at sniping/countersniping. I feel like I have a huge freaking target on my head every time I walk out, and yet I struggle like hell to find ANYONE when I'm sniping. Hell, when I'm running around searching for dudes, I always feel like everyone knows exactly where I'm at, and I have no clue where they're at. Perhaps I should start using the UAV much more often.

Not only that, but the two hits to kill with pretty much any gun is terrible. There's times where I feel like I have the jump on the guy and I put a few rounds on target, yet I still die with a tiny burst from the other dude.

I just want to love this game, but I feel like I'd have more fun if I go back to BC2 or Black Ops.

Fox318

I'm really enjoying the multiplayer now. Once you get into a rhythm and a good team it can be a blast. The battlecommander mode helps you deal with spawncamping snipers and other huge kill targets rather well. I just wish they would add the ability to hit targets through walls. With maps designed like this with so much junk in them it is a necessity to either have destructible cover or the ability to hit a target through a fence.

Also what ever frame rate problem I had is gone this game runs great on PC.

Good to hear a lot of folks are digging the multiplayer. I really wish such a push wasn't placed on the single player aspect, as it seemed many folks were expecting the moon and more. If Kaos survives, I'm up for this being a nice stepping-stone into a franchise. Either way, multiplayer sounds terrific. Lots of options, lots of toys to play with and lots of ways to level the playing field.

eznark

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
I have already received a response.

"I've requested a refund of $16.03 for the price difference to your Visa card."

God damn Amazon is so wonderful.

Who did you contact, I'd like to do the same

commish

Really getting tired of the hard lockups on my PS3. Seriously, stop it. Please. I find it hard to believe that games are tested as much as they are and hard lockups occur so often.

Raul_Atreides

Neo Member
Maybe I missed it, but is there any word on whether/when the exclusive map and exclusive (and the only!) shotgun will be made available for those of us peasants who were too stupid to preorder the game at the correct retailer for the correct platform?

I thought the exclusive map was available to all Xbox 360 users for a limited time. The shotgun was an Ebgames exclusive and weapon camo skins Best Buy. I would like to get the shotgun and it shows it on my loadout screen but it's locked. I'm not gonna pay for it though.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
OK, rented this from GameFly, was about to buy the $10 code, now I will just wait for the inevitable fire-sale, I mean it's already dropped 1/3rd of it's retail value
(WalMart already selling @$41)

I beat the game on Guerrilla (Hardest Difficulty) took me 5.5 hours.
Newspaper clipping were a pain, like Oh hey!, while your fighting, read the news, lol or when finished in a fire-fight go look for them
The enemy AI is 1000% pinpoint accurate on you, your friendly AI don't do shit, multiple times, they will look the opposite way, telling you to move up
I was killed 30+ time to invisible bullets, bullets coming out of nowhere
Some enemies were behind cover, and there bullets clipped through the environment and hit and killed me

The game does no favors of being fair and balanced, it was just like COD:WaW Veteran difficulty just a lite version.
Infinite spawn, until you cross an invisible line or do a certain objective (some are just sit and wait some minutes, then game moves to next part, while you are fighting endless waves w/ limited ammo)

The graphics are fucking ridiculous, they look like they are from a 2007 unoptimized engine from a company just starting out
Climbing ladders I saw so many jaggies, ewww, I'm no graphxiz whore, but come the fuck on, it looked like ladder edges were razor sharp teeth trying to gnaw at you
If the AI helper leans up against the wall, a MOTHERFUCKING OUTLINE (looked like a green/blue aura) surrounds them, like they were a cutout, placed there by chance, and can be peeled away
There were fucking pop-ins, I SHIT you not, enemies spawn in front of me from thin air, items that were suppose to be cover, took there sweet ass time to either load, or come to look/resemble what object they were

The MP is OK, but it rewards Campers, if you are an objective based player, get ready to be frustrated
Most don't go for A, B, C, they just want kills and BP, the enemy = campers who are trying to pad there BP quickly to pull out a Heli or Tank
I get stuck/move through the geometry of stupid shit game, like a low raise fence, I'll just jump that, womp womp game boundary, go around ; ;

Single Player = 4/10
Multi-Player = 6/10
So as an overall package a 5/10

commish

tiff said:
Shit like that is the absolute worst in games.

What else would you like the game to do with a tank? In real life, a tank would go through 95% of the obstacles on these maps without slowing for a second.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
By the way, whose bright idea was to show the location of everyone when you spawn in MP

You completely kill any flanking position, setting up for a charge, or just either pushing forward or holding back

So if a camper is just sniping, and I enter the enemies area or close to it, I shouldn't show up, it should be only your team mates and their locations
Multiple time people have chased me due to seeing me in their base/area while spawning, luckily I get the asshole who wants to accumulate @ hearts will, and my dumb-ass teammates just giving them free kills

Jintor

GraveRobberX said:
By the way, whose bright idea was to show the location of everyone when you spawn in MP

You completely kill any flanking position, setting up for a charge, or just either pushing forward or holding back

So if a camper is just sniping, and I enter the enemies area or close to it, I shouldn't show up, it should be only your team mates and their locations
Multiple time people have chased me due to seeing me in their base/area while spawning, luckily I get the asshole who wants to accumulate @ hearts will, and my dumb-ass teammates just giving them free kills

It's only a temp radar sweep isn't it? You could, you know, move from where you are then.

Fox318

I just played some more multiplayer. It would really help if they had some transport spawned to encourage teams to work together or at least a squad spawn system. There are too many games where spawn camping in a helicopter has been a problem. They also need to make missiles follow your mouse like in BF2. Right now there is almost no way to take down a helicopter.

Also I have played 6 games of GC and each time the losing team has had the most kills. Skill points need to be assigned more if your team wins the match otherwise whats the point.

Fox318 said:
I just played some more multiplayer. It would really help if they had some transport spawned to encourage teams to work together or at least a squad spawn system. There are too many games where spawn camping in a helicopter has been a problem. They also need to make missiles follow your mouse like in BF2. Right now there is almost no way to take down a helicopter.

Also I have played 6 games of GC and each time the losing team has had the most kills. Skill points need to be assigned more if your team wins the match otherwise whats the point.

Surely there're vehicles with a good strong AA capability? No turreted vehicles with AA?

Top Bottom