• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
cjtiger300 said:
Agreed, the game rarely lags on ps3.

Hey CJ, was looking for you last night. Not sure how the party system works in this game yet. Couple that with my hard lockups of my system, and it never happened.

I'm really digging the game though. I finally unlocked that little spotter plane - too much fun. I don't have to leave my spawn, can just fly around with the plane, spotting targets for my teammates. I know how much that helps, because I LOVE when someone else is spotting for me.

mickcenary said:
Man.

I play a little.

I get excited about unlocking a new assault rifle.

I beam.

I fleetingly recall the orgasmic gun models in BC2/KZ3 that I was looking at not the other day.

I re-focus and look at the screen to see a chunky piece of metal vomit in my stupidly shiny hands.

There's nothing worse than an ugly gun in an FPS and all of HF's seem to be lacking significantly.

I frown.

I don't know, I'd say it's a mixed bag. BC2's gun models weren't really that great--most were pretty clunky. The SCAR is damned sexy in Homefront. Others are pretty ugly (M249, I'm looking at you).

eznark

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:
I love the suppresors in multiplayer. Why? Because they ACTUALLY sound like real suppressors aka reducing the muzzle flash, and SOME of the sound, not the bullshit CoD where ALL the guns with a supresssor mean you can do some Hollywood stealth mission. Little details like this makes me appreciate the attention tol detail.

I think the guns overall feel really good, especially the handguns. It's nice that some of them have significant recoil. I really like the sound as well so far.

I finally started up the campaign last night, played through the first chapter. Couple points:
- product placement; yes it exists, but in a logical way. I prefer seeing a real fast food joint as opposed to Har-dees or MacDowells. I don't get the complaints. An ipod in Metal Gear? Dumb. Real restaurants when trying to depict American towns? Smart.

- I thought the opening cinema and the opening bus ride were powerful. I didn't think there was anything cheesy or tasteless at all. It probably gets worse, but the opening was handled well and definitely has me wanting to play more.

PhatSaqs

Banned
MP is a blast IMO. I've mainly ignored SP just as I did with CoD. This game reminds me so much of how Saints Row was initally received. It too got several harsh reviews and got looked down on because it took another games model and ran.

I hope THQ ignores the crap and realizes that KAOS has built a solid foundation that could turn into something really special if allowed to.

eznark said:
I think the guns overall feel really good, especially the handguns. It's nice that some of them have significant recoil. I really like the sound as well so far.

Yeah, the guns feel great (I haven't really spent any time with the M249 yet though). I have my favorites, but I don't really feel like one is more overpowered than the other, considering how lethal they all are.

You know what I really hate in this game, beside snipers? Guns. 12 freaking guns, and a secondary. Really?! Is it 2011 or am I missed something? 12? Come on THQ!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Discuss how to take out choppers. I know proximity launcher but I don't think I'm using it right...

commish said:
Hey CJ, was looking for you last night. Not sure how the party system works in this game yet. Couple that with my hard lockups of my system, and it never happened.

I'm really digging the game though. I finally unlocked that little spotter plane - too much fun. I don't have to leave my spawn, can just fly around with the plane, spotting targets for my teammates. I know how much that helps, because I LOVE when someone else is spotting for me.

Yeah, I have had a few lockups, but nothing terrible. Lets try to squad up today. From what it looks like, you can have up to 16 in a squad! Thats crazy!!!

TacticalFox88 said:
BTW any PS3 users, please send me a pm with you username. Would love to start a clan.

Mines the same as my username here. I might be full though, so send me yours.

Bboy AJ said:
Discuss how to take out choppers. I know proximity launcher but I don't think I'm using it right...

All you have to do is fire it so it gets CLOSE to the chopper and it explodes, I believe. It still requires some skill--I'm not sure what the actual proximity range is.

RavenHawk

angelfly said:
Is it wrong that I'm having so much fun spending the match marking enemies with the Parrot?

I resorted to doing nothing but that the last 4 games I played last night because for whatever reason, the servers would not give me anything over 2 yellow bars.

RavenHawk said:
I resorted to doing nothing but that the last 4 games I played last night because for whatever reason, the servers would not give me anything over 2 yellow bars.

Were you playing on the dedicated servers? the 16 player matches are Peer to Peer, only the 24/32 player games are hosted on dedicated servers.

commish

angelfly said:
Is it wrong that I'm having so much fun spending the match marking enemies with the Parrot?

I've spent a few games doing nothing but. I'll have 2 kills, 42 assists, and 2 deaths at the end. Pretty funny.

commish

bluedeviltron said:
I love how everyone hated the campaign so much that they did nothing but poopsock it for 7 hours straight.

Neogaf, lol.

Watch - people that bashed the game to hell and said they quit and will never play again will keep posting in this thread, just to remind anyone who likes the game that, really, it sucks.

Anyone have a favorite loadout yet? I've been mainly using this, but really liking the SCAR lately:

Primary: ACR
Grenade: Flashbang
Attachment: ACOG
Equipment 1: White phosphorous
Equipment 2: Personal UAV
Abilities: Grizzled (XP bonus); Quickdraw (faster ADS)

cackhyena

I'd love to have a favorite load out. Too bad I can't get in a game to save my life for the past 24 hours. Tried for 40 minutes off and on last night.

Mr. Snrub said:
Anyone have a favorite loadout yet? I've been mainly using this, but really liking the SCAR lately:

Primary: ACR
Grenade: Flashbang
Attachment: ACOG
Equipment 1: White phosphorous
Equipment 2: Personal UAV
Abilities: Grizzled (XP bonus); Quickdraw (faster ADS)

Does grizzled significantly accelerate your experience? isn't it a 3 point ability? Not sure its worth it in the earlier levels (15-20)

MrCompletely said:
Does grizzled significantly accelerate your experience? isn't it a 3 point ability? Not sure its worth it in the earlier levels (15-20)

You know, I'm not completely certain, because in general, you seem to level up quickly in this game. I've only played for about 4-5 hours and I'm 20-25 (can't remember). Don't know if the ability has anything to do with that...I'm hoping denkirson does a stat breakdown like he does for other shooters.

Weenerz

Banned
So PC version has a listing for a downloadable gun, but when checking the DLC tab of Steam, there isn't any DLC. Is this a retail pre-order type of thing?

Played for a few hours last night, and I must say the game grew on me rather quickly. At first I was like ummm this is alright, but once I started using the battle points things started to open up and I was really into it. Happy with my purchase, can't wait to play some more

Liberty4all

Banned
Bboy AJ said:

Use the drone that has the missile lock launcher on it. Eats choppers for breakfast.

Unlocks somewhere between level 10 - 20

Nakimushi

Banned
Multiplayer even that chaotic is kind of fun

but single campagin ?
short blend experience
usually I am always playing SP first before trying MP but this time I was bored after 1hr
and technically looks like ps2 engine
I dont even want to start to saying things I didnt like ....

oh and throwing a grenade in that game is the worst I ve seen in any game
you cant see anything - animation is so quick that you dont even see a grenade and his trajectory
its like hmmm did I just do it or it didnt work

Weenerz said:
So PC version has a listing for a downloadable gun, but when checking the DLC tab of Steam, there isn't any DLC. Is this a retail pre-order type of thing?
It's an exclusive for gamestop or bestbuy purchases. Will be unlocked for everyone in 30 days.

tiff

Banned
commish said:
What else would you like the game to do with a tank? In real life, a tank would go through 95% of the obstacles on these maps without slowing for a second.
And? What's your point?

commish

tiff said:
And? What's your point?

That certain parts of the game - like preventing a tank from going through a fence - are there for the sake of balance and enjoyment. I think it's pretty obvious.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Grenade throwing does suck. And why can't I hold onto my tactical grenades?

tiff

Banned
commish said:
That certain parts of the game - like preventing a tank from going through a fence - are there for the sake of balance and enjoyment. I think it's pretty obvious.
Design your levels better so that you're not depending on indestructible wooden fences to hold the balance together.

It's up there with invisible walls on the list of things that should not be in video games anymore.

Concept17

Bboy AJ said:
Grenade throwing does suck. And why can't I hold onto my tactical grenades?

I actually like it. I prefer them to most games, as you can actually get some distance with them...and they don't float through the air. Others have gotten as good as making them land right over fences at your feet. :(

tiff said:
Design your levels better so that you're not depending on indestructible wooden fences to hold the balance together.

It's up there with invisible walls on the list of things that should not be in video games anymore.

Which others games have vehicles, 32 players, and destructibility? Isn't BC2 the only one?

Reposting this, since some people are wondering when certain items unlock: Homefront Multiplayer Guide

commish

tiff said:

Uhhh... games have been making these kinds of tradeoffs since the beginning of time. Are you arguing for uber realism? As in, one shot and you're dead? Tanks that can level a building in seconds? I'm not sure what you are arguing for, to be honest. How would you rather have them design the level, or do you want tanks and choppers and the rest of the vehicles removed altogether?

NinjaKixx

Banned
Got my 1st 5 star bounty last night as infantry. I am the 1st person I have seen do it (PC). Shit got chaotic after that, everyone coming for me. Ended up going on a 24 kill streak.

My impressions of the game:

Campaign was super short, but that didn't bother me at all. The game started off pretty poor and amateurish, but definitely got better past the first chapter.

Multiplayer is pretty fun. The drones are more fun to play than anything similar in other competing titles. People don't take an unrealistic amount of bullets to kill, and I don't find enemies spawning right next to me like in CoD. It's kind of like CoD with some battlefield elements mixed in for good measure, but unlike CoD, the game isn't fucking infuriating as hell to play (even if you're kicking ass). I don't understand why people rag on the graphics, they look fine on PC (are there people who are graphics whores on consoles? doesn't make sense to me), though I am disappointed that the game doesn't run a little bit better than it does.

SumGamer

Man I just had a blast!!

MP is really great and no lag at all! When playing either MW2 or BO I would face about 2 seconds delay. A bit better in BFBC2. But in this, none.
I guess I'm lucky that I dont face much camper in my games.
Map design is brilliant large lots of open area and still have places to sneak past enemies. Gameplay system is really flexible and can be so epic when two Apache and that mini-chopper trying to gun you down.
Graphic is awful though, cant defend it really. Sound effect also another one that I think it need a lot of improvement.

Too bad I cannot redeem the Axxess DLC at the moment, the PS3 DLC server is in Japan and currently offline(perhaps just for Asian disc, dunno).

What's up with the spelling in this game though? I mean, "veto next map"?

SumGamer said:
Man I just had a blast!!

MP is really great and no lag at all! When playing either MW2 or BO I would face about 2 seconds delay. A bit better in BFBC2. But in this, none.
Map design is brilliant large lots of open area and still have places to sneak past enemies. Gameplay system is really flexible and can be so epic when two Apache and that mini-chopper trying to gun you down.
Graphic is awful though, cant defend it really. Sound effect also another one that I think it need a lot of improvement.

Too bad I cannot redeem the Axxess DLC at the moment, the PS3 DLC server is in Japan and currently offline(perhaps just for Asian disc, dunno).

Uh, what's wrong with that spelling?

Hixx

SumGamer said:
Man I just had a blast!!

What's wrong with 'veto next map' like?

RavenHawk

MrCompletely said:
Were you playing on the dedicated servers? the 16 player matches are Peer to Peer, only the 24/32 player games are hosted on dedicated servers.

32 player matches...8 out 14 of the people on my squad were yellow. Nothing like shooting someone in the back as you are defending a point only to have them spin around and drop you instantly.

Good times...

mxgt

Banned
According to D2D my steam activation key was supposed to appear at 4pm GMT. That has now long gone so I guess they meant an American timezone and it'll unlock at midnight.

False hope :(

Top Bottom