• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

I just beat this game. It was enjoyable, I liked the story and the director got me to hate Koreans more than I hate Helghast, lol. It made the firefights a lot more fun because I enjoyed watching them die, and by contrast when you weren't fighting Koreans I almost felt bad for shooting them.

The game "feels" like Bioshock 1. Not a good thing, IMO, for a first person shooter but I got used to it. Although there are really only 3 or 4 objectives in the game repeated throughout it does a good job of feeling varied without throwing in a ton of vehicle segments of shoving you around the globe. It gives a good sense of continuity to the game, and combine that with writing that I noticed made a point of filling plotholes, made for a very compelling narrative.

However the enemy AI and lack of visual punch held this game back a bit, as did its reliance on traditional weaponry in my opinion. Its more a fault of the times rather than the game but it is simply very difficult to come up with new fighting moments when using modern weaponry. I feel like I say this a lot but had this game come out in 2007 CoD4 would have been nothing but a memory, but it came out a few years too late and a few new ideas short to make the grade. I'm glad I rented, and the multiplayer seems like fun, but I will go back to more fantastical, class-based shooters like Killzone 3 for my FPS needs.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Jintor said:
It's only a temp radar sweep isn't it? You could, you know, move from where you are then.

No when you respawn, the game takes you from a top down approach to the ground, with-in that you get a 2 second quick look @ where everyone is, from the enemies to the friendlies

The thing is shouldn't it only show your team, where your teammates are on the battlefield

It makes you stand out if you are holding a position @ A, B, C and the enemy respawning now has a clue to where your team is positioned
So it makes it feel useless

Might just be me, lol, but it really ruins your team tactics, if the enemy while respawning get a survey of the battlefield, shouldn't those UAV's/Drones be your eyes

Skenzin

Banned
Picked up the 360 version today. Bought it for MP and the 360 MP videos I saw on youtube which had a very realistic and clean look. Also, the gameplay looked a little more methodical than COD.

First Impressions on MP. This game is a mess. The game wants to be COD and BC2 but fails horribly at both. The graphics are a muddy jaggy nightmare straight out of 2006 or 2007. I need to rewatch those youtube videos. I was immediately taken back by the inconsistent textures, most are very lowres. Everytime I see the gun models I feel like I'm playing a budget title.

The gameplay is meh. The spawn system make even TDM feel like DM. GUnplay is weak. Far away engagements feel awkward and off. Up close engagements feel awkward and off. The game reminds me of how I felt about Battlefield Modern Combat way back in the day. Its trying to do so many things and plenty of games have done them all better. It feels and plays like a game that should have came out in 2006-07. I think I just got taken by THQ for $65. This feels like a quick cash grab riding the coattails of much better games.

Not impressed but Im not giving up yet.

plc268

GraveRobberX said:
No when you respawn, the game takes you from a top down approach to the ground, with-in that you get a 2 second quick look @ where everyone is, from the enemies to the friendlies

The thing is shouldn't it only show your team, where your teammates are on the battlefield

It makes you stand out if you are holding a position @ A, B, C and the enemy respawning now has a clue to where your team is positioned
So it makes it feel useless

Might just be me, lol, but it really ruins your team tactics, if the enemy while respawning get a survey of the battlefield, shouldn't those UAV's/Drones be your eyes

I only ever see my own team and the occasional enemy that was spotted with a drone.

I know what you're talking about, as I've seen it in various videos, but it never happens for me.

nyong

Banned
Meijimasha said:
I just beat this game. It was enjoyable, I liked the story and the director got me to hate Koreans more than I hate Helghast, lol. It made the firefights a lot more fun because I enjoyed watching them die, and by contrast when you weren't fighting Koreans I almost felt bad for shooting them.
I sincerely hope you mean the fictional Koreans as portrayed within the videogame. Considering those aren't real people or real situations.

I'm hating multiplayer now too. Mostly because I suck at it, but the entire game is just a giant campfest. You basically need to plan on getting pelted out of nowhere every single time you leave cover. I mean, I was annoyed by the snipers in BC2, but this is probably the single worst game I have ever played when it comes to sniper/camper domination.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
plc268 said:
I only ever see my own team and the occasional enemy that was spotted with a drone.

I know what you're talking about, as I've seen it in various videos, but it never happens for me.

Look @ this video, look @ the start:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIRnLwOE47Q

You see all those red names pop up, with the greens, shows you everyone, he pulls out UAV and just knows where they are situated and spams away

Mikey Jr.

GraveRobberX said:

You see all those red names pop up, with the greens, shows you everyone, he pulls out UAV and just knows where they are situated and spams away

I guarantee you, by the time you reach to where those people are, they won't be there anymore.

Plus you dont remember that shit, come on. Its just a sea of red.

It's useful only when there is a lone red name near your spawn point. Thats what I figure its for. To prevent spawn camping (raping).

Everything about this game feels...old. 32 player matches are ridiculously chaotic. Vehicles, campers, wild killstreaks, etc. Can't believe it sold 300k. Shows you what marketing and making a game in the 'hot genre' will get you. Ugh.

nyong said:
I sincerely hope you mean the fictional Koreans as portrayed within the videogame. Considering those aren't real people or real situations.

Of course. A perfect example is after I got off the bus at the beginning of the game after seeing the opening you are confronted with two Korean soldiers. I stabbed both of them and progressed with the game. But because of what I had seen on the bus I wanted to stab them and even avoided using my gun because of it. The direction enhanced the games enemies and through that made the gameplay better.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Finally started getting into some 32 player Battle Commander match and all I can say is wow. Using the Recon drone during that game type with that many people gets you a ton of points, and it really does help your team win.

Now that I am finally getting into games, I love the multiplayer.

Just spoiled the ending for myself cause people said it sucked and is short as hell. I thought it was on-par, if not better, with KZ3's similar dudebro rail-shooter extravaganza. At least it's consistence, right? Right??!

Edit: I see someone somewhat disagrees two posts above mine...

plc268

GraveRobberX said:

And I'm telling you, I don't get that. In fact I uploaded a gameplay video of mine to show you what I see (PC version)

Here's the video. The only thing I get is some of my teammate's death notifications.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvxjCtTQBgA&t=1m5s

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
For consoles you "zoom" into the spawn and see everyone's names for a split second.

I wonder, I know on consoles you turn off player names, I wonder if PC has that off by default?

I actually like that it does the zoom, it helps prevent spawn camping a ton.

The last level was fine though I don't think they capitalized on it anywhere near as much as they could have.

The single player was pretty weak in this overall. Strictly average gameplay everywhere. I'd call it a step back from Frontlines SP by a wide margin. Frontlines at least had decent full control vehicle sections and some really good level design. The sort of gameplay variation that was in this across the entire campaign was done within the first 3 levels in FFoW.

I feel bad for Kaos when it comes to their SP campaigns. Seems like COD beats them to the punch every time they do something. In Frontlines they pulled the nuked level and COD did it a mere 3 months prior. Now we are going through occupied America and MW2 did that last year.

I just dipped into the multi and it is essentially COD meets Battlefield. I'll spend more time with it but it does seem pretty cool. I can't believe the level some of the players are at already. The snipers did seem godly though. Getting nailed across the map is frickin nuts.

Yeah, look. I'm probably going to return this. It's so unbelievably average in every regard, yet there's SOMETHING about it; something that makes me want to keep on playing, even though I'm yet to be connected to a game wherein I don't have a one-red-bar connection and am inundated with a plethora of bullshit issues.

And the graphics are fucking horrible. In MP, anyway.

I dare anyone to argue that last point after standing right next to one of your team members and checking out just how poor a character model they're inhabiting.

With that being said, it's by no means a TERRIBLE game. It can actually be quite fun when everything is working as it should, but there's just so many other shooters worth playing that don't make your eyes bleed. My brain has probably accommodated itself to the visual splendor that is KZ3 throughout the last couple of months, so I guess this conclusion was inevitable.

I hate to say this after some good matches last night but this game is an unplayable piece of garbage with full games. Horrible lag. I can unload a full clip into a character right in front of me and not kill him. Yet he'll kill me with 2 shots. Snipers killing you in one shot all the way from the other end of the map. Frustrating to say the least. I had to wait sometimes up to 3 minutes to respawn. Caught in some kind of limbo with an ariel view of the map. My character will magically warp half way across the map while walking. Sometimes only half my player skin and weapon load and I'm running around half invisible.

I've never had this kind of problem running a multiplayer game before. I will finish up Dragon Age II and if they still haven't fixed it by then, I'm gonna have to give away this game. I wanted to like it, but it's not letting me right now.

LowParry

Hmm. MP has been a hit or miss. However the two things that have me come back. RPGs and Anti-Tank drones minis. Watching vehicle and other drones blow up is satisfaction. Though a good one shot burst with the SCAR is pretty damn nice too.

Apart from the sounds being slightly off, I'm happy enough with the game so far...

Game looks decently good in some areas, and really shitty in others. They've certainly got that grimy dirty look done well. So far, I'm decently impressed by the story. Game is absolutely a B level game, just overall lots of little things stink. It looks like a HD PS2 game with high res textures.

Pretty much it's a bit of fun.

What I think the developers can be totally ashamed about though is the engine. Wholly crap, running the game at 2560x1440 on my PC and I can't even hold 60 frames. BC2 can handle that res with 8xAA and not even skip a beat, while this POS stutters and even when it's between 45 - 60 it feels like it's running at 20fps. It's disgusting. Hopefully ATI will release a new driver that helps the problem but god... looking this shit and not even being able to run a high FPS with a 5970 is just shameful.

JaxJag

Banned
I think the multiplayer is outstanding, but the multiplayer doesn't give off a good first impression because it has such a learning curve.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say most of the people giving bad impressions of the multiplayer are just used to accessible and instant gratification games like Call of Duty, where the game is rewarding you with something every 2 minutes.

In Homefront you're not going to jump in and dominate, you have to figure the game out a little.

The matches are over so quickly you have no time to learn. Especially when you 8 snipers on the other team killing you the instant you walk out of cover.

samus4ever said:
The matches are over so quickly you have no time to learn. Especially when you 8 snipers on the other team killing you the instant you walk out of cover.

Sometimes I wonder what game some of you are playing, because I have no issues with snipers whatsoever.

And the matches have already been made longer. TDM on PS3, at least.

Confidence Man said:
Sorry, did you just say BC2:Vietnam has intelligent map design?
Haha you got me there:p Perhaps not intelligent (holy mother of choke points and too easily defended bomb spots), but the design of the maps is pretty cool.
The uphill rush on the mountain burning from the napalm, conquering the village surrounded by patty fields.

They at least look like they were first designed on paper by an artist.
Not just some random themed objects thrown down in a map editor.

But yeah, just blame part of that post on fatigue induced stupid.

I'm still fighting the turret/tank controls though and getting shot with no chance to react is just not my thing at all.
It's fine when you can win the twitch offs head to head, but falls apart when you get shot from behind or the side from huge distances, death comes too fast for those trying to capture objectives.

SneakyStephan said:
Haha you got me there:p Perhaps not intelligent (holy mother of choke points and too easily defended bomb spots), but the design of the maps is pretty cool.
The uphill rush on the mountain burning from the napalm, conquering the village surrounded by patty fields.

They at least look like they were first designed on paper by an artist.
Not just some random themed objects thrown down in a map editor.

But yeah, just blame part of that post on fatigue induced stupid.

I'm still fighting the turret/tank controls though and getting shot with no chance to react is just not my thing at all.
It's fine when you can win the twitch offs head to head, but falls apart when you get shot from behind or the side from huge distances, death comes too fast for those trying to capture objectives.

Try purchasing the flakjacket when capturing objects!

Spookie

magicaltrevor said:
Sometimes I wonder what game some of you are playing, because I have no issues with snipers whatsoever... on PS3.

I think there lies the problem. I just got off my first round on the PC version it's a mess. No sway, no ballistics so of course no trouble with popping of multiple opponents in 1-2 shots before they can even haul arse to cover. I already regret buying this game.

Wow, this game's netcode is fantastic. You guys HAVE to be some unlucky SOBs. No lag drops or anything for me. Hit detection is DEAD ON. o.o

Coming from BO, though....yeah, this is a big deal.

SeanR1221

Skenzin said:
Picked up the 360 version today. Bought it for MP and the 360 MP videos I saw on youtube which had a very realistic and clean look. Also, the gameplay looked a little more methodical than COD.

First Impressions on MP. This game is a mess. The game wants to be COD and BC2 but fails horribly at both. The graphics are a muddy jaggy nightmare straight out of 2006 or 2007. I need to rewatch those youtube videos. I was immediately taken back by the inconsistent textures, most are very lowres. Everytime I see the gun models I feel like I'm playing a budget title.

The gameplay is meh. The spawn system make even TDM feel like DM. GUnplay is weak. Far away engagements feel awkward and off. Up close engagements feel awkward and off. The game reminds me of how I felt about Battlefield Modern Combat way back in the day. Its trying to do so many things and plenty of games have done them all better. It feels and plays like a game that should have came out in 2006-07. I think I just got taken by THQ for $65. This feels like a quick cash grab riding the coattails of much better games.

Not impressed but Im not giving up yet.

This sums up how I felt about the game.

Two things about Homefront...

1.) It made me appreciate CoD, BC2 and Halo more. As in, wow, those games do a lot of things right, I want to go play them.

2.) This game would have been incredible if it came out in 2005. Could you imagine a game like this in the first year of the 360s life? Everyone would have loved it.

I paid 42.00 on Amazon (thank god they refunded me the difference) and got a 15.00 gift card. I traded it to best buy yesterday for 37.00 to get rid of it asap. At least I made money!

TacticalFox88 said:
Wow, this game's netcode is fantastic. You guys HAVE to be some unlucky SOBs. No lag drops or anything for me. Hit detection is DEAD ON. o.o

Agreed, the game rarely lags on ps3.

TacticalFox88 said:

This is my experience too. Spent a few hours on a 24 player bc ground control server last night and I had a great time. I was on the winning team about half the time, never bogged down by snipers, no lag

TacticalFox88 said:

Good to see you're digging it, Tactical. I really can't wait for mine to arrive. I suspect the PC crowd has the numbers to keep the boat afloat in terms of multiplayer, in the face of all the naysaying.

Heavy said:
When does the spotting drone unlock

Pylon_Trooper said:
Your guess is as good as mine, I'm just going by my old Frontlines go-to toolkit. My copy is yet to arrive!

It unlocks fairly early, at level 6, which you should EASILY be able to reach within an hour o two of playing. I've played for 4-5 hours and I'm level 20, I think.

Fox318 said:
I just played some more multiplayer. It would really help if they had some transport spawned to encourage teams to work together or at least a squad spawn system. There are too many games where spawn camping in a helicopter has been a problem. They also need to make missiles follow your mouse like in BF2. Right now there is almost no way to take down a helicopter.

You can spawn in team vehicles, but I agree, I wish there were a squad spawn system. This COD-style spawning is so archaic.

Disagree about choppers--in most rounds I've played, choppers are taken down fairly quickly (except on launch day, when no one knew how the proximity launchers worked)

Also I have played 6 games of GC and each time the losing team has had the most kills. Skill points need to be assigned more if your team wins the match otherwise whats the point.

Sorry, I'm not following this--are you saying the team with the most kills should be the winner?

GraveRobberX said:

As was mentioned, chances are, the players have moved by the time you spawn, and if not, good for you! Easy to find campers.

Now that the others mention it, not sure if it does display the enemies on PC.

ColonialRaptor said:
What I think the developers can be totally ashamed about though is the engine. Wholly crap, running the game at 2560x1440 on my PC and I can't even hold 60 frames. BC2 can handle that res with 8xAA and not even skip a beat, while this POS stutters and even when it's between 45 - 60 it feels like it's running at 20fps. It's disgusting. Hopefully ATI will release a new driver that helps the problem but god... looking this shit and not even being able to run a high FPS with a 5970 is just shameful.

Pretty sure this is a reported bug--MP for some reason doesn't fully use your GPU/CPU. I'm sure it'll be looked into, but for some people, forcing DirectX 9 gives a good FPS boost.

JaxJag said:
I think the multiplayer is outstanding, but the multiplayer doesn't give off a good first impression because it has such a learning curve.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say most of the people giving bad impressions of the multiplayer are just used to accessible and instant gratification games like Call of Duty, where the game is rewarding you with something every 2 minutes.

In Homefront you're not going to jump in and dominate, you have to figure the game out a little.

Exactly, and the other half of it is that people play a new game and expect it to fall right into their expectations. People bitched about BC2 the same way. Homefront has a flow to it in MP and once you get the hang of it, it's great.

I am a little doubtful of how long I'll be interested in playing it, but I'm hopeful that Ground Control + Battle Commander will always keep it interesting. Having a blast so far, though.

Spookie said:
I think there lies the problem. I just got off my first round on the PC version it's a mess. No sway, no ballistics so of course no trouble with popping of multiple opponents in 1-2 shots before they can even haul arse to cover. I already regret buying this game.

I play on PC and haven't had any problem with snipers. And when I HAVE had problems, the kill cam shows exactly where the sniper is, and most times it's a camper that I should have known about, since, you know...he just killed me. Just spawn with a Hellfire/airstrike/attack drone loadout and kill that fucker.

TacticalFox88 said:

Same for me. Have had some trouble joining servers and the server browser is a bit buggy, but this game's netcode already feels better than BC2's. BC2 had tons of hit detection problems out the gate, and took months to fix. Aside from the occasional MP invisible barrier that absorbs my shots, hit detection is ACE.

Eye Drop said:
Bought the game at 11am.
Finished it by 4pm.
Returned it by 5pm.

TERRIBLE game.

As much as I hate posts like this, THQ/Kaos fucked up by emphasizing how amazing the SP would be in their marketing.

plc268

Spookie said:

I think people need to start prefacing their posts with what version they own because it seems that each version has a drastic experience difference.

Because from the sounds of it, the sniper problem seems to be concentrated on the PC, and the people complaining about the graphics seem to be on the 360... at least that's what it seems like anyway.

Not sure what flaws the PS3 version is harboring.

plc268 said:
I think people need to start prefacing their posts with what version they own because it seems that each version has a drastic experience difference.

Because from the sounds of it, the sniper problem seems to be concentrated on the PC, and the people complaining about the graphics seem to be on the 360... at least that's what it seems like anyway.

Not sure what flaws the PS3 version is harboring.

That's the thing--I play on PC and haven't had any problem with snipers. I'm probably killed more by players on the front than snipers. I think some people just cry foul any time they're killed by a sniper, but it's not like snipers/sniper rifles are not a legitimate way to play. People just feel cheated when they're killed by a sniper because they're not really any way to fight back at the time of death.

And I'm pretty sure the sniper rifle DOES have some sway, albeit very minor.

venom2124

Has anyone else been getting freezing issues with the multiplayer for ps3? I had 3 lockups in 1 hour last night, got tired of manually shutting the ps3 down, and played through the campaign instead. Not one freeze during the campaign, only multiplayer.

plc268

Mr. Snrub said:
That's the thing--I play on PC and haven't had any problem with snipers. I'm probably killed more by players on the front than snipers. I think some people just cry foul any time they're killed by a sniper, but it's not like snipers/sniper rifles are not a legitimate way to play. People just feel cheated when they're killed by a sniper because they're not really any way to fight back at the time of death.

And I'm pretty sure the sniper rifle DOES have some sway, albeit very minor.

Well not every match is full of snipers. It really depends on the map.

However, my beef with the sniper rifles is that since it's hitscan, there's no bullet drop or leading that needs to be compensated for. That works fine in a COD game with compact maps, but you have the huge sight lines in Homefront, you feel a bit cheated.

See, when I get sniped across the map in BC2, I know the sniper had to work for it and not just put the crosshair on my head and shoot.

venom2124 said:
Has anyone else been getting freezing issues with the multiplayer for ps3? I had 3 lockups in 1 hour last night, got tired of manually shutting the ps3 down, and played through the campaign instead. Not one freeze during the campaign, only multiplayer.

I've been hearing about this, just with PS3 users. Sounds like a horrible bug :-\

plc268 said:
Well not every match is full of snipers. It really depends on the map.

However, my beef with the sniper rifles is that since it's hitscan, there's no bullet drop or leading that needs to be compensated for. That works fine in a COD game with compact maps, but you have the huge sight lines in Homefront, you feel a bit cheated.

See, when I get sniped across the map in BC2, I know the sniper had to work for it and not just put the crosshair on my head and shoot.

Ah, gotcha...valid complaint, but I wouldn't want them to nerf sniper rifle damage. Inducing some exaggerate sway would be great.

I'm still extremely nervous about post-launch support...hope we get some updates this week.

I love the suppresors in multiplayer. Why? Because they ACTUALLY sound like real suppressors aka reducing the muzzle flash, and SOME of the sound, not the bullshit CoD where ALL the guns with a supresssor mean you can do some Hollywood stealth mission. Little details like this makes me appreciate the attention tol detail.

Man.

I play a little.

I get excited about unlocking a new assault rifle.

I beam.

I fleetingly recall the orgasmic gun models in BC2/KZ3 that I was looking at not the other day.

I re-focus and look at the screen to see a chunky piece of metal vomit in my stupidly shiny hands.

There's nothing worse than an ugly gun in an FPS and all of HF's seem to be lacking significantly.

I frown.

Top Bottom