• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

nyong said:
Sounds like my experiences so far. I'd love to see a video of anyone taking objectives and coming out with a positive kill/death ratio. Taking objectives offensively turns into a war of attrition just about every time for me.

If you notice the players putting choppers into the sky, it's usually the snipers too.
I went positive all day today with a best game of 25-5 while capping 5 points. Thing is, I suck at killing in FPS. Just ask PS3 GAF. I usually score well, because I do objectives, but today I had a great day as far as kdr and points go. Honestly camping and shipping is boring to me, so I tend to play a little more reckless which is why my kdr is lower than most of ps3 GAF. I really don't care about kdr, as I would rather have fun playing and have my team win.

Flanking is key in this game. Don't traverse through chokepoints. I flanked a group of 5 snipers on the mountain map and mowed there asses down in one game. Honestly, the team with the most camping twats usually loses in this game, unlike others.

By the way this is on PS3 and I am sure I will go back to my sucking fps ways soon. Wish I had a video, lol!

Here's a helpful hint: DO NOT ALWAYS save for Vehicles! Help the fucking team out! A rocket launcher can mean the difference between losing and winning! All of those may *seem* weak, but they have enormous potential in the right hands. Yes, if you have the ability to call an Apache, and you're team needs to turn around, fucking DO IT. But otherwise, please be a team player, and not try to lone wolf like you're fucking Rambo.

Marleyman

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:
But otherwise, please be a team player, and not try to lone wolf like you're fucking Rambo.

Ah, one of the most common complaints for online FPS games. Gotta hate lone wolf types in games that stress teamwork.

RavenHawk said:
Thanks Sneaky. Is the AT drone capable of shooting and spotting? I thought I got killed by a few of those last night also.
The AT drone is like that little machine gun drone that you drive around.
Only instead of a machine gun it has a rocket launcher on it.

It's horrible against infantry (takes 2 pretty much direct hits to kill someone) , but it is really tough (only weak against melee and explosives) and if you keep any enemy vehicle or drone centered in the square that is lined out on your aiming , then it will go red and lock on, if you shoot then , it will shoot off FIVE homing missiles instead of one 'dumb' missile.

This will instakill any drone, two of these salvos will usually take out an apache (maybe 3 if it's full health).
Since there is only a 5-6second delay between salvos it's really really effective at taking out anything airborne. (and you are a small, agile target so it's not that easy to shoot you down or avoid you)

It's even good against enemy jeeps and those APCs and tanks.

Plus it only costs 300-350 points depending on what perk you use.

nyong said:
Sounds like my experiences so far. I'd love to see a video of anyone taking objectives and coming out with a positive kill/death ratio. Taking objectives offensively turns into a war of attrition just about every time for me.

If you notice the players putting choppers into the sky, it's usually the snipers too.

Man, I miss the LOL faces. So much dramatic hyperbole in this thread.

I don't know, maybe I use cover better than the average person. Capping points is pretty damned easy and I rarely get sniped while doing so--if I die, it's usually because of someone nearby.

Mr. Snrub said:
Man, I miss the LOL faces. So much dramatic hyperbole in this thread.

I don't know, maybe I use cover better than the average person. Capping points is pretty damned easy and I rarely get sniped while doing so--if I die, it's usually because of someone nearby.

Well the problem is usually in getting anywhere near the capping point, once you reach it things are fine.
My experiences have varied a lot, if my team is spotting and pushing back the enemy team with vehicles then I can cap.

But often there is just no way in hell to get even near it. (depending on the map).

I've had some pretty nasty death streaks where I just get sniped right after spawning over and over.

About the cover thing: the fact that any random player getting behind you or flanking you (along with the snipers) at any time can put you down before you get a chance to react makes putting the effort in for a slow deliberate flank/cover to cover all the more frustrating when it often inevitably goes sour.
Imagine doing an excellent dribble and 1-2 after an amazing pass on a football field, and right before you are going to score a bystander runs on to the field, kicks you in the balls and punts the ball out of the field, over the netting and on to the freeway.
It's pretty much the same thing frustration wise.

This is mainly why I complain about how the sniping works and how the damage is too high, a good player putting in the effort to sneak and slowly push up to an objective would have a fair chance in every firefight that way.
Someone with good aim would do very well indeed.
But like all these kinds of games it's designed to even out the playing field as much as possible at ALL costs.

edit : @ raven hawk: No.
But you can choose 'spawn in team vehicle', if you are lucky you might end up in an apache, which has a spotting module for the second player. (though it's hard to use, they didn't bother giving you a true free look in it, the camera can only move so far to each side , so the pilot turning and pitching his heli will constantly mess with your camera..., very poorly implemented imo.
It's one thing adjusting for your own movement when aiming, but trying to adjust for the wild turning and movement of another player like this isn't possible)

about the rocket launcher: I love that it isn't very effective against infantry.
Noobtubes can go die!

RavenHawk

SneakyStephan said:
The AT drone is like that little machine gun drone that you drive around.
Only instead of a machine gun it has a rocket launcher on it.

It's horrible against infantry (takes 2 pretty much direct hits to kill someone) , but it is really tough (only weak against melee and explosives) and if you keep any enemy vehicle or drone centered in the square that is lined out on your aiming , then it will go red and lock on, if you shoot then , it will shoot off FIVE homing missiles instead of one 'dumb' missile.

This will instakill any drone, two of these salvos will usually take out an apache (maybe 3 if it's full health).
Since there is only a 5-6second delay between salvos it's really really effective at taking out anything airborne. (and you are a small, agile target so it's not that easy to shoot you down or avoid you)

It's even good against enemy jeeps and those APCs and tanks.

Plus it only costs 300-350 points depending on what perk you use.

Ah, I see. Is there an air-based drone that spots and shoots?

Oh yeah, what is up with the rocket launcher (aka roman candle)? I killed a tank in 2 shots, but hit a guy in the leg and he lived. WTF?

SneakyStephan said:
I've had some pretty nasty death streaks where I just get sniped right after spawning over and over.
You know Bob too?

Emitan

I'm sort of getting the hang of online. I thought you would be able to buy anything in the game and the 4 and 5 buttons were just shortcuts. I'm really disappointed you have to unlock stuff by leveling up before you can buy it. Do any of the modes have real respawn timers? The only servers I've been on have been 5 second respawns on Team Deathmatch.

The game is supposed to get a proper server build for dedicated servers soon, with full admin functionality and proper rcon commands.

So admins should be able to set things like respawn timers (and round durations etc) for their servers when those are out.

rSpooky

I played through the SP.. Waaaay to short, but enjoyable. I did not use my code when I tried the MP last night. It is not bad , but I really only like playing online with friends of mine and they don't seem to want to buy it. Sold it to a guy at work for $40 which is more then I paid for it ( had a deal/gift-card for it) I do hope they make another one and address some of the issues , including game length and I will buy it.
Just not something that can hold value for me right now. Funny enough a lot of people said it felt more like BC2 for them , I likened it more to COD. I guess perception depends on what you like/don't like about either if those games.

One more thing I noticed:
Air strikes will get marked on your minimap with a red circle with a cross in it.
So if you hear the usual 'airstrike incoming' voice, then take a look at your map, odds are that you will be able to run away in time. (and get your face blown off by bob because you left cover :p)

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Flying recon sweeps and watching enemy snipers and troop buildups get obliterated seconds after you spot them is like wielding God's own scalpel.

Patriot Games Satellite Sequence: The Videogame.

A lot of the flaws to me sound like stuff which could have been avoided if there was a beta or larger scale test, online multi games always turn out like this once thousands start trying stuff.

Is there any kind of cooldown if your remote control heli is shot down? I know it costs BP but a cooldown would solve some of these problems with constant spotters.

Spookie

HixxSAFC said:
Still can't believe a Steamworks game can't be bought on Steam in the UK. It's just fucking baffling.

Can't say you're missing anything. I've put 40 minutes in to the MP and uninstalled the game. I don't like the feel of it, the physics on the vehicles is non-existent- for example the tank feels like it floats above the ground, the guns deal too much damage for my liking and everything feels so disjointed.

TacticalFox88 said:
Here's a helpful hint: DO NOT ALWAYS save for Vehicles! Help the fucking team out! A rocket launcher can mean the difference between losing and winning! All of those may *seem* weak, but they have enormous potential in the right hands. Yes, if you have the ability to call an Apache, and you're team needs to turn around, fucking DO IT. But otherwise, please be a team player, and not try to lone wolf like you're fucking Rambo.

Considering how cheap (inexpensive) the proximity launcher is, I usually take about 1 min at worst to shoot down a crazy circle strafing chopper. Usually it takes like 10 sec and 3 shots but sometimes the pilot is pretty good.

Saving up for vehicles doesn't give a great return if there is someone that's ready to go anti-armor. I think rocketing vehicles and all the bonuses that come from killing the drivers in them you actually come out with more BP

venom2124

I'm downloading the new update for this on ps3 right now. Anyone know what it does? Please tell me it fixes the multiplayer freezing.

nyong said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qXNVH1GeBw&hd=1

I'm downloading the new update for this on ps3 right now. Anyone know what it does? Please tell me it fixes the multiplayer freezing.

http://www.homefront-game.com/blog-post/multiplayer-status-update

PS3

We have a patch going live this evening at 17.00 PST / 20.00 EST / 24.00 GMT. This will include:
• Fixes for intermittent problems accepting friend invites and joining friends’ games
• Several fixes for reported freezes
• Fixes related to joining matches, round transitions, and proper behavior on the match recap screen
• Additional bug fixes, including inaccuracies in ping meter, and player hosted servers not properly pulling score/time limit settings
For those of you experiencing difficulties with PS3, this update should make a significant difference.

Mikey Jr.

Ok, how the hell do you use proximity launcher?

I've shot at multiple apaches, and it always shoots like a normal rpg. Is there any point of using the normal rpg after you've unlocked this one?

Also, just for clarification, personal UAV only affects you, right? Nobody else?

Ricker

Wow,SP took a turn for the worst starting at that Church level,bullet sponge trigger happy machine gun snipers are always fun...and way to go inverting controls for the helicopter all of a sudden in the next level...I think i`m done.

gibon3z said:

Quite the difference with the pc version...

On the pc version (at least from what i've played in the last 2 days) firefights don't last 5-10 seconds... if you are seen you are dead within 1-2 seconds unless you kill them first.

I'd love to see you or anyone else just run out in the open and wait for their grenade launcher addon for that gun to lock on:p
You'll die 7 times over before you get the chance.

You can also adjust the fov on pc, so people don't have the low fov blinders on and will see you alot more easily.

Wow, I've noticed in this game that the small stuff players with no insight will look over in favor of the "big guns". Holy fuck, EVERYTHING has a purpose in this game. Graphics be dammed, I think I'm in love.

Jumped into MP first and enjoyed the experience for the most part. I would have been happy with this as a premium MP-only digital distribution (say around $25-$30). After a few rounds I jumped into SP and was immediately glad I hadn't made that my first experience. I'll probably force my way through the campaign (I hear it is very short fortunately) and then play around with the MP for a few weeks.

mxgt

Banned
Jumped into MP right away, still getting used to it but damn you sure do die fast.

Sniping is also ridiculously easy. 1 hit kills and almost no sway whatsoever.

Raul_Atreides

Neo Member
TacticalFox88 said:
Wow, I've noticed in this game that the small stuff players with no insight will look over in favor of the "big guns". Holy fuck, EVERYTHING has a purpose in this game. Graphics be dammed, I think I'm in love.

Yes! Exactly man. I love that I have several options to take on any situation, and I find myself actively switching between all the default classes as the situation requires.

For whatever reason, (probably due to the circle strafing choppers in BC2) I hate dying to aircraft. Get killed by a tank, humv, infantry, LAV 6 times in a row? Whatever, doesn't bother me. Get killed by a chopper or air drone once? I make it my mission to put out AT drones and/or proximity launchers until it's gone.

TacticalFox88 said:

That is what happens when one of the designers on it previously worked on Homeworld and Company of Heroes.

Funny moment of the day: I throw several EMP grenades, to disable a tank. I throw god knows how many C4 on the bitch. EMP wears off, he aims the tank cannon at me, and BOOM! He blows up for me to get a host of BP.

Goddamn, I love this game.

The indestructible fences and basically every other object is beyond ridiculous when in a vehicle, like hilariously bad. Don't even attempt getting in a heavy tank in that suburban map.

Klocker

oh man 32 man GC is so intense!

starting to click with me even though i suck.

The graphics are not even bothering me anymoere as when the battle gets crazy....wow, so much stuff flying everywhere you don't notice anything

and please help... proximity launcher? how does it work?

The game is just impossible for me. Tons of campers and snipers, dying almost instantly, getting shot out of nowhere, other people having air strikes and choppers like 30 seconds into the game, ugh... I've got like a 0.2:1 K/D LOL. For those of you who get easily frustrated by this type of shit because you're not that good at FPS', avoid the game.

It's funny how you die and then the camera pans to some jackass from allllllllllllll the way across the map in prone camping away. People get air strikes and tanks and choppers 10 seconds into the fucking game. Fuck this, I'm done. /nerdrage

MP in this game is good. Really good. Nice change of pace from the cramped quarters of the Black Ops maps. I'm really enjoying it. I hope THQ and the devs don't take it on the chin, because I'm not sure they really deserve it.

Heavy said:
It's funny how you die and then the camera pans to some jackass from allllllllllllll the way across the map in prone camping away. People get air strikes and tanks and choppers 10 seconds into the fucking game. Fuck this, I'm done. /nerdrage
Use drones/UAV

Makoto

I'm not really feeling Homefront on PC. The controls seem very stiff compared to any Call of Duty game on the platform. It seems like just moving to anywhere that's even somewhat open will get you tagged by whatever. In my opinion, either they need to increase the health for PC players or increase the recoil for these guns because Homefront (on PC) is very much a "who sees who first" type of first person shooter.

Well, at least I got Metro 2033 and $10 off with my pre-order.

Mikey Jr. said:
Damn Ps3 patch is freezing the game for me more than ever. Never froze before, now its happened twice in the past 2 hours.

Damn...that's what I was wondering too cause it seemed like it patched and then I froze like 2 times in a row.

I guess I'm putting it down until they fix that.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I love the gun models in this game. They look frickin sweet. And the sound is awesome too. Rifle shots from across the map have that firecracker pop to them that sounds real. Makes you feel like you're in a nice little scrap.

My only complaint is the dated graphics, which do look old. Overall though the atmosphere is great and the environments & maps are detailed and very fun.

There are also a shit ton of people using mics. For the PS3 thats pretty amazing.

I grabbed this on PS3 to play with friends, but if the multiplayer stays this fun I might grab this on steam as well down the road for the graphics boost.

Top Bottom