• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

I highly suggest watching the documentary on Netflix Streaming that captures an eye doctor's trip into North Korea to perform thousands of eye surgeries allowing blind people to see. It provides a rare look into what's going on there, and shows how brainwashed the North Korean supporters are.

I don't recall the name but will try to find it when I get back home. I know its a National Geographic documentary. Just thought I'd mention that in case some might be interested.

DaBuddaDa

desu said:
Wondering why I see barely complaints for this. Game looks extremely outdated to me as well.
I agree. I watched some multiplayer footage and it really does look like a 5 year old game. That's not a complaint though, I still play Counter-Strike: Source to this day and am perfectly fine with the graphics. We're just very used to seeing FPS be one of the few genres that always seems to try to push the graphical envelope, and Homefront is not trying to do that at all.

Detox said:
Heads-up this just got a 5 from EDGE they called the story a 'my first war movie' kind of thing. Seems like they didn't play much of the multiplayer but described it as a poor version of Battlefield meets COD.

If anyone's willing to post a EDGE thread I can give you the info as I can't post threads at the moment.

5...out of 10? Yikes.

NHale

Detox said:
Heads-up this just got a 5 from EDGE they called the story a 'my first war movie' kind of thing. Seems like they didn't play much of the multiplayer but described it as a poor version of Battlefield meets COD.

If anyone's willing to post a EDGE thread I can give you the info as I can't post threads at the moment.

Wow. It's time for THQ to send copies to some unknown blogs so they can give the game a 9/10.

By the way, Gamespot seems to agree with SP being very short. Yesterday Kevin Van Ord tweeted that the AssCreed DLC he was playing took longer to finish than the full game Chris Watters is reviewing (which is Homefront).

CVG article on balancing MP: http://www.computerandvideogames.co...s-has-homefront-solved-cods-biggest-problems/

Camping:

"Interestingly in Homefront, camping is actually pretty difficult to do, because we have so many different tools to kill you," multiplayer level designer Erin Daly told CVG.

"What we've found is that if there's a sniper who's doing pretty well, players will get annoyed by him and want to take him out. So they'll be able to spend their own Battle Points on, say, a recon drone and mark him or an assault drone to fly over there and try and kill him with. They can even buy an airstrike and specifically target him, because you can guide a missile down right into his position.

"So internally we've found it's actually pretty challenging to just camp and stay camping for a long time. In addition, with the Battle Commander system, you're marked within a region on a map. So even if players don't know your exact location, they're going to be heading towards that region. If you have enough players coming in, eventually they're going to find you. Camping isn't really going to be a successful strategy."

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just watched the first chapter... looks interesting. I don't know if I could do an ENTIRE game like that though. I mean what else is there going to be to the game?

The premise is indeed interesting, but the actual combat gunplay looks like every shooter ever. I'm interested in how the game ends though, really interested! Anyone have any spoilers yet?

FLEABttn

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26333367&postcount=114 anyone who defends the story after reading that is wow.

The game I've played the most in my life has paladin goats from space battling against foes that have destroyed entire armies but are able to be killed by an organized group of 10. Realism isn't my thing in videogames. Even if it were, I'm not likely to be swayed by someone who doesn't understand peak oil.

daviyoung said:
U R SERIOUSFOX
a-serious-fox_552x684.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
A 5?! Come on. I hate this review embargo bullshit. Fuck you whoever started this nonsense. It's such crap.

I want more impressions.

Kifimbo

I feel a lot on his the line with this game: Kaos Studios' future, THQ new strategy, maybe even VP Bilson's job he Homefront and de Blob 2 bomb.

fadetoblack said:
Finally! This is what I wanted to see!

Very clearly inspired by Call of Duty in more than just the gameplay style but also the little introduction they both do. I was on the fence but I definitely want to give this a go sometime.

I get a real foreboding vibe, like the movies Children of Men or 12 Monkeys, where it just seems like the world is doomed to end. The ambient sounds are real creepy too, perhaps a little over the top though.

desu said:
Wondering why I see barely complaints for this. Game looks extremely outdated to me as well.

Are we talking about graphics here? Not everyone has the budget or the resources to be at the forefront of graphics tech. I'm sure they are giving it their best.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Are we talking about graphics here? Not everyone has the budget or the resources to be at the forefront of graphics tech. I'm sure they are giving it their best.

Come'on dude, what footage is shown in that YT video looks dated. Also it's funny how some (if not most) argue about plausibility in video game's plot/story and turn around and play Halo/CoD/BC2/etc. -- because they provide such realistic and believable scenarios.

It's a video game, Jesus. I mean, isn't it kind of the point? Lol.

WrikaWrek

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26333367&postcount=114 anyone who defends the story after reading that is wow.

It really is pathetic to see people so worked over the story premise. Grow up, i mean i don't wanna pull the "it's a videogame" card....but it's a freaking videogame. Every month a game with a terrible story comes out and nobody cares.

But suddenly, oh man...only Aliens and Zombies, and Zombie nazis can attack all mighty U.S.A...

Hurrah!!!!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Come'on dude, what footage is shown in that YT video looks dated.

Just look at the character models in that opening scene... they don't look AWFUL but they are not Top Tier PS3/360 quality. Their faces look jacked up like a PS2/Xbox game. Everything else in the YT video was too grainy and not good enough quality to speak about the textures and stuff... at least nothing that my untrained eye couldn't notice.

Only thing that stood out to me was the bland looking character models.

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Come'on dude, what footage is shown in that YT video looks dated. Also it's funny how some (if not most) argue about plausibility in video game's plot/story and turn and play Halo/CoD/BC2/etc.

Terrifyingly plausible near future.

Adam Prime said:
Just look at the character models in that opening scene... they don't look AWFUL but they are not Top Tier PS3/360 quality. Their faces look jacked up like a PS2/Xbox game. Everything else in the YT video was too grainy and not good enough quality to speak about the textures and stuff... at least nothing that my untrained eye couldn't notice.

Only thing that stood out to me was the bland looking character models.

To be fair, only a few games on PS3/360 are of top tier PS3/360 quality. That's what makes them top tier. Sometimes it also means that they are top tier in general, too. But that's even less common.

Still, if it's a ridiculously well funded dev (say, a first party studio with high ranking and selling games) that really should have the resources to be at the top of the heap, sure, that's a little annoying. But I'm sure these guys are giving it their best.

Dennis

Banned
CoD sells gazilions, MoH did well as did Bad Company 2 (7 million copies) and now Homefront is the most re-ordered game from THQ and Battlefield 3 is going to sell 10 million.....

...dudebros just can't enough of those military shooters (I am a dudebro too)

I've got nothing against HF but, the visuals/art direction are looking kind of dull (fairly unappealing) for PS3 port, which I should be accustom to but I refuse to. And I have zero interest in it's single player campaign -- which going by the YT video, looks like it's going a very 'by the books' route.

I'm looking forward to MP impressions from fellow gaffers, in hopes they will sway my opinion.

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
I've got nothing against HF but, the visuals/art direction are looking kind of dull (fairly unappealing) and I have zero interest in it's single player campaign -- which going by the YT video, looks like it's going very 'by the books' route.

I'm looking forward to MP impressions from fellow gaffers, in hopes they will sway my opinion.

Problem inherent with the real world, no? Granted that this is not really true given the shitload of awe inspiring sights there are in the States, but if you want to create something that reminds a good chunk of prospective players of their own everyday surroundings, then a big chunk of it will have to be 1. generic America, which everyone knows is creatively plucked and shaven, and 2. modern war stuff.

Sethos

Banned
So my friend got a bit pissy with me for calling this a poor man's Call of Battlefield, then it turns out it actually IS a poor man's Call of Battlefield ... Oh teh lulz.

DennisK4 said:
CoD sells gazilions, MoH did well as did Bad Company 2 (7 million copies) and now Homefront is the most re-ordered game from THQ and Battlefield 3 is going to sell 10 million.....

Me too! Can I get a fist bump into a grenade explosion ?!?! Dont leave me hangin bro!

DennisK4 said:

I love me my military shooters, but I can't help but want a little more wicked stuff in my games these days. I wouldn't say no to some mechs (also see BF3). Since we're evidently not getting more stuff of the GR/R6 sort, I'd rather see them push it further in the other direction. Not really specific to Homefront, just a general thing. It's all a bit lukewarm now. Give me a Gator Mech to pilot through the occupied swamps of the rural swamp south or something.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Sethos said:
So my friend got a bit pissy with me for calling this a poor man's Call of Battlefield, then it turns out it actually IS a poor man's Call of Battlefield ... Oh teh lulz.

How is it? Because it shares aspects with those games?

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Come'on dude, what footage is shown in that YT video looks dated. Also it's funny how some (if not most) argue about plausibility in video game's plot/story and turn around and play Halo/CoD/BC2/etc. -- because they provide such realistic and believable scenarios.

Internal logic, look it up. This is not supposed to be some ridiculous Bulletstorm type of story.

Sethos said:

How'd you get a copy of the game already?

Dave Long

Banned
Just shows how few people played the campaign in Frontlines, which was also disturbingly plausible (peak oil and its effect on the world) and really shook me up when I played through it.

These guys are actually saying something with their games and the press has no idea how to evaluate that. So they just assume it must be a joke or be bad fiction or whatever other dumb evaluation I see in this thread.

I understand that as US citizens we believe no one could ever invade, much less take over any part of our country, but we all thought we were impervious to massive acts of foreign terrorism until 2001, too.

Deadly Cyclone said:
How is it? Because it shares aspects with those games?

I'm not for dubbing this as a poor mans anything (especially given that neither of those two games are without poor districts themselves), but I've seen people deriding others for noting similarities, and that's more than a little bit silly, given the sometimes glaring similarities (the perks list, for example).

AltogetherAndrews said:
I'm not for dubbing this as a poor mans anything (especially given that neither of those two games are without poor districts themselves), but I've seen people deriding others for noting similarities, and that's more than a little bit silly, given the sometimes glaring similarities (the perks list, for example).

Absolutely, there is obviously a ton inspired/borderline "stolen" from COD/BF. But that's short-sighted, considering the unique features they're implementing as well.

The perks list is pretty egregious, though.

Top Bottom