• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

Slo

Dave Long said:
Just shows how few people played the campaign in Frontlines, which was also disturbingly plausible (peak oil and its effect on the world) and really shook me up when I played through it.

These guys are actually saying something with their games and the press has no idea how to evaluate that. So they just assume it must be a joke or be bad fiction or whatever other dumb evaluation I see in this thread.

I understand that as US citizens we believe no one could ever invade, much less take over any part of our country, but we all thought we were impervious to massive acts of foreign terrorism until 2001, too.

Perhaps you haven't read my GIGANTIC WALL OF TEXT.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Nvm, you guys go ahead and enjoy this one.

You should check out the achievements for the latter chapters, some interesting hints. Also I have seen footage that the game takes place on the
Golden Gate Bridge
so it actually does get out into real America and away from the "typical" America. :)

Colocho said:
Is it 30 or 60 fps on consoles?

Also, will we have to protect THE MOTHERFUCKING BURGER TOWN?!?!?!?!?

I hope so. Burger Town was the best part of MW2's campaign. This is why I'm looking forward to Homefront's campaign so much...because it takes place in the U.S. so we'll hopefully see suburbs and recognizable architecture and stuff. It's just so much more interesting than yet another desert locale in the Middle East.

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
First off, you must be the sole member of the Homefront defense force. Second, my gripe is with the integrity of the graphics and blandness, linearity of the environments (shown thus far), it looks almost exactly like those few "surburban" levels found in CoD MW2 -- this game is a few perks short of CoD (yes, I know there aren't any perks.. that's the joke! Lol Edit: there are perks? Lol)

It's like I a game I've already played many times before (SP only).

For a current PS3 port, it looks like crap. But like I stated above, I guess I should learn to appreciate that fact. Let's be honest here, this game isn't doing anything dramatically new or different -- I just want to know if multiplayer is or will be as good as some reviews are saying it is.

Oh for fuck's sake... I'm the Homefront Defense Force now? Excuse me while I change out of my pariah hat.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that with picking to base it on Homely America, blandness comes naturally. And then there is the blandness of modern war stuff, which has been made more bland by the pure volume of such games, so hey. I'm not even defending the look here, I want gator mechs so whatever, but it seems like it suits the world.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Does this achievement make anyone think of the Fast and the Furious?

Speed Demon - 10G
Hijack the tankers in less than 8 minutes in one life in Chapter 6: Overwatch.

I wonder what that section will be like.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Colocho said:
Is it 30 or 60 fps on consoles?

Also, will we have to protect THE MOTHERFUCKING BURGER TOWN?!?!?!?!?

Burger Town was my favorite part of the game... but now that I'm presented withe BURGER TOWN: THE GAME, I'm not so interested. I don't know if I want a whole game like this, I hope there's some good variety in the SP.

Mr. Snrub said:
IGN is Homefront Defense Force!

But didn't they grill the producer in an interview about how implausible the story is?

If this the only thing I agree with anything on, I can't believe people are questioning the plausibility of a video game's premise.

Battle points

Yes, I can and will agree. One of the appealing aspects of MP. When it comes to MP, my main concerns are technical performance and some balance. After being subjected to the poor online quality of KZ3, MvC3, and BLOPS. I'm a little hesitant.

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Honest question: outside of battle commander, what new and exciting things should I expect from this game that can't be found elsewhere?

I'm stoked about Battle Points, myself. It's an ingame currency that's earned through all actions, not just kills, and it's separate from XP. It's also the Homefront equivalent of "killstreaks". So killstreaks don't require kills, but scores, and they don't reset after deaths--you keep your currency until you use it. Even bad players can have fun and contribute to their team.

So you can save up for an Apache or airstrike, OR buy a rocket launcher to take out an enemy Apache. It's all in game and dynamic.

R2D4

Banned
Adam Prime said:
Can someone post the article? Can't see it at work.

Is Homefront Possible?
The controversial plot is more plausible than you think.

Predicting the future can be a precarious ordeal. Just ask the developers at Kaos Studios, the minds behind the upcoming first-person shooter Homefront. In Homefront, gamers are exposed to a dark, dreary world set in the late 2020s where a unified Korea has overtaken the United States.

In this fictional future, the United States has declined, its power and prestige completely disintegrated. The world's economy has spiraled out of control, largely due to a war between Iran and Saudi Arabia that sends gas prices sky-high. Meanwhile, the most unlikely of foils rises to the fore in the form of a unified Korea under the leadership of the North Korean cult of personality. After taking over much of East Asia, Korea sets its sights on the United States. And by detonating a space-borne EMP, obliterating the United States' electronic infrastructure, Korea is easily able to land troops in Hawaii, along the western seaboard and in the midwest.

North Korean Power
But could North Korea really pull off an invasion of the United States? Even in fifteen years when the events of Homefront take place, it seems at best to be an extremely unlikely scenario. Yet, there's a level of plausibility here that can't be ignored. After all, no one could have expected that Nazi Germany would take over much of Europe only 10 years after suffering from crippling inflation the likes of which the world had never even remotely seen before. If history has proven one thing, it's that the unlikely and implausible can quickly turn into something all too real.

North Korea has been an officially-recognized sovereign nation ever since the 1953 armistice cooled the Korean War and split the peninsula in two. After losing its only steady trading partner upon the Soviet Union's dissolution in 1991, however, North Korea's situation went from somewhat steady to outright horrific. Twenty years later, North Korea is unable to feed its own population without huge amounts of foreign aid, create industry for any sort of cohesive economy, or prove to the international community that it can be trusted. The country contains a rogue nuclear program and, worse yet, prison camps that purportedly hold hundreds of thousands of its own citizens. How can a country as impoverished, despised and friendless as North Korea possibly rise to the level of a successful imperial force?

Tae Kim, an ex-CIA intelligence officer who worked closely with Kaos Studios in developing the game's fictional future history, explained to me that it's not quite as unlikely as you'd think. It all starts with reunifying the Korean peninsula. "Some may argue that peaceful unification would be impossible," Kim said, "but it was only 11 years ago that Koreans thought the two countries were just a few steps from peaceful unification." Kim is referring to the Inter-Korean Summit that occurred in 2000, when "Kim Jong-Il enjoyed a higher approval rating in South Korea than the South Korean president." In Homefront, unification happens peacefully, premised on the what-if that nearly happened back in 2000. "In the future history of Homefront, a unified Korea elects Kim Jong-un. By the time people realize that he is a worse dictator than his father, it's too late."

Rapid Annexation
With the idea of reunifying the fractured Korean peninsula out of the way, Korea begins to annex weaker countries all around it. As Tae Kim explained to me, the Korean model is based off of Japan's imperial activities in East Asia during World War II. But there's a difference between the Japanese experience and North Korea's hypothetical conquest.

Kim cleared this up. "In Homefront's fiction... countries join not out of fear, but due to a necessity brought on by an ongoing global crisis. Major economic downturn and an oil crisis caused by the war between Iran and Saudi Arabia leaves the Asian countries with no one to turn to." That's where a unified Korea comes into play, offering a degree of stability in an ever-decaying world. Korea's power is derived from newfound strength in numbers, and they use it to collectively make themselves a player on the world stage.

The Ultimate Oil Crisis
The interrelated oil crisis and economic downturn play key parts in the fiction leading up to the events of Homefront. The trailer released some time ago talks about heinously expensive gas that foreshadows armed conflict between Korea and the United States, but David Votypka, the general manager of Kaos Studios, explained that it was during the creation of their first game that oil's affect on foreign policy was fully realized by the development team. "When we worked on Frontlines, we studied peak oil a lot," Votypka told me, "and we came to understand how deeply that would affect the world." Once America has been victimized by a tangible economic interruption due to difficulties in obtaining affordable oil, it's likely that everything would unravel from there. And that's precisely what happens in Homefront.

Homefront imagines a domino effect that could destroy America's economy and make it susceptible to outside forces in a way it would have never been possible otherwise. Expensive fuel would be the catalyst. "There would be a breaking point in the economies of scale," Kim explained, "where it no longer makes sense to produce various good or provide services. It would trigger a massive inflation followed by a massive devaluation of currency." Kim admits that the outlook for a society dependent on oil would be bleak in the situation Homefront describes. "If we took out both Iran and Saudi Arabia's oil production in the world," Kim admits, "$20 for gas may actually turn out to be a bargain."

Clearly, Kaos' fictional timeline is far more likely than some might expect. Failing economies, worthless currency and a bona fide oil crisis are more threatening than any foreign army. And in a situation where all three are occurring at full-steam and at the same time, the U.S. would be at its weakest.

Where's China?
But what about the only country truly friendly with North Korea today? When I asked Tae Kim about China's notable absence from Homefront's story, he answered in ways that I didn't expect.

"As America suffers the fate of economic downturn and global oil crisis, it was rational to assume that China would be in worse shape after losing its biggest customer" in the United States. What gives China leverage over the United States today -- its massive monetary loans -- would actually be their downfall in the future history Kaos created, according to Kim. "China is currently holding over two trillion in US dollars... that would lose a lot of their value. [China] would be too busy dealing with its internal situations to deal with the outside world," an identical place the United States finds itself in when Korea began to annex countries in the Pacific.
So far, I'm satisfied with the explanation given to me about the plausibility of Homefront's story. Korea peacefully reunifies. Oil becomes too expensive. Economies of scale collapse and financial institutions and monetary policy suffer as a result. Big countries look inward to protect their self-interest, leaving a vacuum for smaller countries to unify for financial, economic and military stability. This all makes sense. But what's North Korea's motivation for invading the U.S.?

Why U.S.?
An obvious motivator would be vehement feelings stemming from the Korean War. North Korea today raises their children to loathe Americans, and the future history reality likely wouldn't stray too far from that. But the motivation is economic, too. David Votypka told me more. "Because of the energy crisis in the world, and because of rising oil prices, things like oil shale become economically viable. And the US is like the Saudi Arabia of oil shale."

So the North Koreans are after some crude oil to fuel their expansion. Makes sense. But what about the resistance North Korean soldiers could expect to meet in the United States, even with a disabled and scattered American military? In Homefront, an EMP blast prefaces the Korean invasion of the United States, destroying virtually anything powered with electricity. While you could imagine what your life would be like without computers, cell phones or even lights, imagine what the American military would do without all of the technological gadgets they rely on every day.

But then there's the easily-overlooked fact that the American population is the most well-armed group of people in the history of humankind. Taking America even under such dire circumstances would be a feat for any modern military.

Kim said that even with the extra manpower from their occupied territories, and the clear technological superiority that comes from your enemy having no access to power, North Korea would have to pick and choose what they did and where they went. "The invasion force lands and secures key areas and locations for both strategic military and natural resource assets. The Koreans are actively trying to locate and eliminate threats it discovers, but are aware they cannot completely overtake the country." This is perhaps the most important point yet about explaining Homefront's plausibility. The Koreans know they can't take the US, and they don't even want to. All they want are the natural resources, and perhaps the slave labor necessary to extract those resources with little trouble.

Fictional Context
So is Homefront possible? It's as possible as many other situations in history. Just as Rome ultimately fell to hordes of barbarians, so too could the United States fall to the most unlikely of foes. This is especially true if the economic climate is just right, as it was in the events leading up to Homefront. But Kim and Votypka alike wanted to press that Kaos isn't trying to tell you what's going to happen. Homefront's a piece of entertainment.

"We're not trying to predict the future," Votypka told me. "So this is just saying we've sort of branched off from the present day, and we've created our own timeline from there."

Tae Kim elaborated. "The amount of research into the timeline and backstory was not an attempt to prove such events can really happen, but rather to create a unique, immersive and ultimately entertaining fictional setting for gamers. The speculative part of the storyline is not based on what we think 'could' happen, but rather what 'must' happen to bring the 'what if' scenario of a North Korean occupied United States to fruition."

Adam Prime said:
Can someone post the article? Can't see it at work.

Predicting the future can be a precarious ordeal. Just ask the developers at Kaos Studios, the minds behind the upcoming first-person shooter Homefront. In Homefront, gamers are exposed to a dark, dreary world set in the late 2020s where a unified Korea has overtaken the United States.

In this fictional future, the United States has declined, its power and prestige completely disintegrated. The world's economy has spiraled out of control, largely due to a war between Iran and Saudi Arabia that sends gas prices sky-high. Meanwhile, the most unlikely of foils rises to the fore in the form of a unified Korea under the leadership of the North Korean cult of personality. After taking over much of East Asia, Korea sets its sights on the United States. And by detonating a space-borne EMP, obliterating the United States' electronic infrastructure, Korea is easily able to land troops in Hawaii, along the western seaboard and in the midwest.

North Korean Power

But could North Korea really pull off an invasion of the United States? Even in fifteen years when the events of Homefront take place, it seems at best to be an extremely unlikely scenario. Yet, there's a level of plausibility here that can't be ignored. After all, no one could have expected that Nazi Germany would take over much of Europe only 10 years after suffering from crippling inflation the likes of which the world had never even remotely seen before. If history has proven one thing, it's that the unlikely and implausible can quickly turn into something all too real.

North Korea has been an officially-recognized sovereign nation ever since the 1953 armistice cooled the Korean War and split the peninsula in two. After losing its only steady trading partner upon the Soviet Union's dissolution in 1991, however, North Korea's situation went from somewhat steady to outright horrific. Twenty years later, North Korea is unable to feed its own population without huge amounts of foreign aid, create industry for any sort of cohesive economy, or prove to the international community that it can be trusted. The country contains a rogue nuclear program and, worse yet, prison camps that purportedly hold hundreds of thousands of its own citizens. How can a country as impoverished, despised and friendless as North Korea possibly rise to the level of a successful imperial force?

Tae Kim, an ex-CIA intelligence officer who worked closely with Kaos Studios in developing the game's fictional future history, explained to me that it's not quite as unlikely as you'd think. It all starts with reunifying the Korean peninsula. "Some may argue that peaceful unification would be impossible," Kim said, "but it was only 11 years ago that Koreans thought the two countries were just a few steps from peaceful unification." Kim is referring to the Inter-Korean Summit that occurred in 2000, when "Kim Jong-Il enjoyed a higher approval rating in South Korea than the South Korean president." In Homefront, unification happens peacefully, premised on the what-if that nearly happened back in 2000. "In the future history of Homefront, a unified Korea elects Kim Jong-un. By the time people realize that he is a worse dictator than his father, it's too late."

Rapid Annexation:
With the idea of reunifying the fractured Korean peninsula out of the way, Korea begins to annex weaker countries all around it. As Tae Kim explained to me, the Korean model is based off of Japan's imperial activities in East Asia during World War II. But there's a difference between the Japanese experience and North Korea's hypothetical conquest.

homefront-20110309044016849.jpg

Kim cleared this up. "In Homefront's fiction... countries join not out of fear, but due to a necessity brought on by an ongoing global crisis. Major economic downturn and an oil crisis caused by the war between Iran and Saudi Arabia leaves the Asian countries with no one to turn to." That's where a unified Korea comes into play, offering a degree of stability in an ever-decaying world. Korea's power is derived from newfound strength in numbers, and they use it to collectively make themselves a player on the world stage.

The Ultimate Oil Crisis:
The interrelated oil crisis and economic downturn play key parts in the fiction leading up to the events of Homefront. The trailer released some time ago talks about heinously expensive gas that foreshadows armed conflict between Korea and the United States, but David Votypka, the general manager of Kaos Studios, explained that it was during the creation of their first game that oil's affect on foreign policy was fully realized by the development team. "When we worked on Frontlines, we studied peak oil a lot," Votypka told me, "and we came to understand how deeply that would affect the world." Once America has been victimized by a tangible economic interruption due to difficulties in obtaining affordable oil, it's likely that everything would unravel from there. And that's precisely what happens in Homefront.

Homefront imagines a domino effect that could destroy America's economy and make it susceptible to outside forces in a way it would have never been possible otherwise. Expensive fuel would be the catalyst. "There would be a breaking point in the economies of scale," Kim explained, "where it no longer makes sense to produce various good or provide services. It would trigger a massive inflation followed by a massive devaluation of currency." Kim admits that the outlook for a society dependent on oil would be bleak in the situation Homefront describes. "If we took out both Iran and Saudi Arabia's oil production in the world," Kim admits, "$20 for gas may actually turn out to be a bargain."

Clearly, Kaos' fictional timeline is far more likely than some might expect. Failing economies, worthless currency and a bona fide oil crisis are more threatening than any foreign army. And in a situation where all three are occurring at full-steam and at the same time, the U.S. would be at its weakest.

Where's China?
But what about the only country truly friendly with North Korea today? When I asked Tae Kim about China's notable absence from Homefront's story, he answered in ways that I didn't expect.

"As America suffers the fate of economic downturn and global oil crisis, it was rational to assume that China would be in worse shape after losing its biggest customer" in the United States. What gives China leverage over the United States today -- its massive monetary loans -- would actually be their downfall in the future history Kaos created, according to Kim. "China is currently holding over two trillion in US dollars... that would lose a lot of their value. [China] would be too busy dealing with its internal situations to deal with the outside world," an identical place the United States finds itself in when Korea began to annex countries in the Pacific.

So far, I'm satisfied with the explanation given to me about the plausibility of Homefront's story. Korea peacefully reunifies. Oil becomes too expensive. Economies of scale collapse and financial institutions and monetary policy suffer as a result. Big countries look inward to protect their self-interest, leaving a vacuum for smaller countries to unify for financial, economic and military stability. This all makes sense. But what's North Korea's motivation for invading the U.S.?

Why U.S.?
An obvious motivator would be vehement feelings stemming from the Korean War. North Korea today raises their children to loathe Americans, and the future history reality likely wouldn't stray too far from that. But the motivation is economic, too. David Votypka told me more. "Because of the energy crisis in the world, and because of rising oil prices, things like oil shale become economically viable. And the US is like the Saudi Arabia of oil shale."

So the North Koreans are after some crude oil to fuel their expansion. Makes sense. But what about the resistance North Korean soldiers could expect to meet in the United States, even with a disabled and scattered American military? In Homefront, an EMP blast prefaces the Korean invasion of the United States, destroying virtually anything powered with electricity. While you could imagine what your life would be like without computers, cell phones or even lights, imagine what the American military would do without all of the technological gadgets they rely on every day.

But then there's the easily-overlooked fact that the American population is the most well-armed group of people in the history of humankind. Taking America even under such dire circumstances would be a feat for any modern military.

Kim said that even with the extra manpower from their occupied territories, and the clear technological superiority that comes from your enemy having no access to power, North Korea would have to pick and choose what they did and where they went. "The invasion force lands and secures key areas and locations for both strategic military and natural resource assets. The Koreans are actively trying to locate and eliminate threats it discovers, but are aware they cannot completely overtake the country." This is perhaps the most important point yet about explaining Homefront's plausibility. The Koreans know they can't take the US, and they don't even want to. All they want are the natural resources, and perhaps the slave labor necessary to extract those resources with little trouble.

Fictional Context:
So is Homefront possible? It's as possible as many other situations in history. Just as Rome ultimately fell to hordes of barbarians, so too could the United States fall to the most unlikely of foes. This is especially true if the economic climate is just right, as it was in the events leading up to Homefront. But Kim and Votypka alike wanted to press that Kaos isn't trying to tell you what's going to happen. Homefront's a piece of entertainment.

"We're not trying to predict the future," Votypka told me. "So this is just saying we've sort of branched off from the present day, and we've created our own timeline from there."

Tae Kim elaborated. "The amount of research into the timeline and backstory was not an attempt to prove such events can really happen, but rather to create a unique, immersive and ultimately entertaining fictional setting for gamers. The speculative part of the storyline is not based on what we think 'could' happen, but rather what 'must' happen to bring the 'what if' scenario of a North Korean occupied United States to fruition."

damn you guys lol

mine has an image, i win!

"Well you know guys, strange things have happened, therefore strange things could happen again! Ergo, plausibility."

They go into it with a little more depth than that. Come on, dude.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Drone spam.

Not a problem (at least when I played).

I know the first week everyone will be bitching about drones, until they find the rocket launchers.

I was racking up a ton of BP just running around with the proximity launcher taking out drones. They aren't bad if people actually shoot at them, the problem you'll run into is the same as choppers, etc in CoD, if no one shoots them they will seem overpowered.

AiTM

Banned
Wheres the section about the U.S. being surrounded by two massive bodies of water, along with a giant expansive landscape, and the most well armed citizenry in the world?

Deadly Cyclone said:
Not a problem (at least when I played).

I know the first week everyone will be bitching about drones, until they find the rocket launchers.

I was racking up a ton of BP just running around with the proximity launcher taking out drones. They aren't bad if people actually shoot at them, the problem you'll run into is the same as choppers, etc in CoD, if no one shoots them they will seem overpowered.
Do you have a rocket launcher right from the start?

AiTM said:
Wheres the section about the U.S. being surrounded by two massive bodies of water, along with a giant expansive landscape, and the most well armed citizenry in the world?
It does mention our well-armed civilian population:

Deadly Cyclone said:

And hopefully the Battle Commander will alleviate that problem!

buy teh haloz said:
Do you have a rocket launcher right from the start?

It's a BP purchase. So assign the rocket launcher to direction on the D-pad (which is used to quick purchase), and once you gather enough BP (think it's only a few hundred for a rocket launcher), you can buy it in-game by pressing that direction.

Adam Prime said:
Just watched the first chapter... looks interesting. I don't know if I could do an ENTIRE game like that though. I mean what else is there going to be to the game?

The premise is indeed interesting, but the actual combat gunplay looks like every shooter ever. I'm interested in how the game ends though, really interested! Anyone have any spoilers yet?

Finished it last night. Almost feels like a prologue to a longer outing. But at least it follows a definite plot and it ends where you'd expect because the end point it laid out early on and nothing is ever introduced to suggest the game will end any other way.

Just other observation:
The highest difficulty setting is ridiculous. I died a lot on the Normal setting but on "Guerrilla" you become a grenade magnet and even though you fight alongside other characters, the enemy is only interested in shooting you. I guess that's no different than the Call of Duty games.

Mr. Snrub said:
It's a BP purchase. So assign the rocket launcher to direction on the D-pad (which is used to quick purchase), and once you gather enough BP (think it's only a few hundred for a rocket launcher), you can buy it in-game by pressing that direction.
I mean, do you have a rocket launcher available to be assigned as a purchasable item from level 1? Or do you need to level up first?

Damn, I had no idea how close Russia was to Alaska. They could lob nukes at our west coast with ease (and vice versa) if it ever came to that.

buy teh haloz said:
I mean, do you have a rocket launcher available to be assigned as a purchasable item from level 1? Or do you need to level up first?

Oooooh, sorry...I don't know. I'm not sure what unlocks are comprised of...I would think attachments/skins, but I don't know if your BP purchases have to be "unlocked" first.

EDIT: Actually, seems like BP purchases ARE unlocks based on levels. Hmm...not sure if I like that. Doesn't this bring back the problem of vets overpowering noobs?

EDIT 2: Actually, looks like rocket launchers are pretty low level unlocks, so shouldn't be a big deal.

Angry Fork

What the hell are people talking about with plausibility. The moment they try something on our turf America will launch dozens of nukes so fast they won't be able to have children for generations.

Come on now what is this. They'd need to nuke like every major city in America + the midwest while at the same time having troops already halfway to the country by sea in order to have a chance. And even then ...for what? Killing 100 mil citizens so Kim Jong Ill can feel boss?

I can't believe there's even a debate at all as to this plausibility, it's totally fictional and a fun little 'what if' scenario thing. I can't comprehend why someone would be offended by this or worried or whatever it is people are thinking.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Mr. Snrub said:
IGN is Homefront Defense Force!

But didn't they grill the producer in an interview about how implausible the story is?
I get that there isn't much else to talk about right now, with the review embargoes and all that, but really, who gives a shit. I don't care about storylines in dudebro games. I just want to fuck shit up.

R2D4

Banned
Heavy said:

Damn, I had no idea how close Russia was to Alaska. They could lob nukes at our west coast with ease (and vice versa) if it ever came to that.

The Russians have no problem hitting any of our cities from any place in Russia or vice versa. Been that way for 40 years.

R2D4

Banned
Angry Fork said:
What the hell are people talking about with plausibility. The moment they try something on our turf America will launch dozens of nukes so fast they won't be able to have children for generations.

Come on now what is this. They'd need to nuke like every major city in America + the midwest while at the same time having troops already halfway to the country by sea in order to have a chance. And even then ...for what? Killing 100 mil citizens so Kim Jong Ill can feel boss?

I can't believe there's even a debate at all as to this plausibility, it's totally fictional and a fun little 'what if' scenario thing. I can't comprehend why someone would be offended by this or worried or whatever it is people are thinking.

First of all how is any country going to get a sizable amount of troops on American soil? It would have to be by air or sea and I'm pretty sure we have that covered.

R2D4 said:
First of all how is any country going to get a sizable amount of troops on American soil? It would have to be by air or sea and I'm pretty sure we have that covered.

This actually is covered, if you bothered to read the timeline.

procrastinator

Neo Member
Angry Fork said:

Well if they have the tech to make a spaceborne EMP blast work right, having a half-decent missile defence system isnt too much of a stretch. Theres also the US militaries might being greatly cutback due to budget cuts and resource issues, and the likelyhood of the new NK empire having nukes of their own that they could just lob straight back at the US.

R2D4 said:
In the scenario of Homefront the problem is that the US is spending all of its military resources on controlling all the civil unrest. I believe they launch an EMP to prior to invading, which explains how they would go relatively unnoticed passing a giant invasion force across the Pacific.

Of course this is all fictional theory crafting.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
TheNiX said:
In the scenario of Homefront the problem is that the US is spending all of its military resources on controlling all the civil unrest. I believe they launch an EMP to prior to invading, which explains how they would go relatively unnoticed passing a giant invasion force across the Pacific.

Of course this is all fictional theory crafting.

... I think they are over valuing the strength of an EMP.

And one other thing about the single-player campaign...

There were a couple of spots where I came across those cell phone bar code things splashed on the wall. Didn't have a smart phone handy to figure out what those were about.

R2D4

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
This actually is covered, if you bothered to read the timeline.

Most military equipment is EMP protected. Every nuke detonated emits an EMP. They are prepared for it.

Matt

Adam Prime said:
... I think they are over valuing the strength of an EMP.
And they are massively overestimating the number of troops Korea could commit. Our population dwarfs theirs over 4 times over.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Mr. Snrub said:
I'm stoked about Battle Points, myself. It's an ingame currency that's earned through all actions, not just kills, and it's separate from XP. It's also the Homefront equivalent of "killstreaks". So killstreaks don't require kills, but scores, and they don't reset after deaths--you keep your currency until you use it. Even bad players can have fun and contribute to their team.

So you can save up for an Apache or airstrike, OR buy a rocket launcher to take out an enemy Apache. It's all in game and dynamic.
Quake Wars (and maybe ET) did something similar, but I'm not complaining. Those games were hot sauce.

I wish they just labeled Battle Points as currency and Battle Commander as contracts or something generic because the terms seem a little contrived. It's hard to use them without sounding like a marketer, "Have you heard? Homefront has Battle Points™ and an innovative Battle Commander™ system!"

Top Bottom