• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeland: Season 3 - |Pledge Allegiance|

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
Saul is clearly under a lot of pressure but that scene definitely caught me by surprise. I liked it though; it was more the xenophobic side to it that made me uncomfortable rather than the fact he snapped at her. That seemed very un-Saul.

And not that I like the Dana subplot, but it's very obvious from the first two episodes a big theme of this season will be that of estranged daughters and fathers. (Saul/Carrie, Brody/Dana) + the usual "oh no one gets it except for us" (yay parallels!). It's a bit heavy handed, especially the Dana stuff, but it's nowhere near as bad as some of the stuff that went down in S2. (Crying over spilt milk, anyone?)

And unlike S2, there actually seems to be a general thematic arc for both the plot and the characters—so I definitely welcome that with open arms.

Don't mean to sound like a hater. But Claire Danes is too good for this show now. The writers kept up with her during season 1 and beginning of season 2, but now it's just embarrassing how badly they are letting her down with their writing.

I am NEVER one to skip scenes in shows/films. But I just can't help it, the Dana scenes are absolute dogshit.

inm8num2

I can't stand F. Murray's character. Asshole is pulling the strings but seemingly not bothering himself with the details or considerations of consequences with regard to other people.

I guess I'm not surprised that the show is shifting it's terrorist focus to Iran apparently having had a hand in funding/carrying out the Langley attacks. Kind of hilarious and predictable when you think about it.

jtb

Banned
the Iran link isn't new to this season. at the start of S2, they brought Carrie back into the fold after Israel attacked Iran's nuclear facilities and they knew Iran would retaliate. The 12/12 bombing (that they spent the season trying to prevent) was that retaliation, through Brody and Abu Nazir. maybe the word is "prophetic"? :p

(I guess I'm the resident Homeland apologist now lol)

I don't buy for a second that the CIA would ever be in jeopardy of losing its charter. But that's applying real-world logic to a very fictional world.

Carrie is just too much. I've gone from being mesmerized by Claire Danes' performance to just feeling sorry for her.

KarmaCow

So Saul is racist.

That was unexpected.

I don't think it was out and out racism, just that he didn't want to deal with another problem of having others questioning her (and by extension his) loyalty/capabilities. He clearly trusts her and while bringing her to tears was kinda out of a character, that seems to be point so far.

mujun

So Saul is racist.

That was unexpected.

It felt like a weird scene considering his character up until this point.

What I couldn't figure out was whether he was being racist or whether he was talking about public perception (and if he was why didn't he make that clear).

I don't think it was out and out racism, just that he didn't want to deal with another problem of having others questioning her (and by extension his) loyalty/capabilities. He clearly trusts her and while bringing her to tears was kinda out of a character, that seems to be point so far.

Given that Langley relies on an incredibly diverse workforce in order to function properly, I just find the idea that she'd be getting stared at and treated cruelly pretty damn stupid.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
People are acting like the whole Dana stuff is some kind of filler but it's pretty obvious that this is a slow build to the show's actual story.

Just like her romances with Xander and the Vice President's son and the hit and run stuff last season was a build up to that season's actual story, right? ;)

royalan

Given that Langley relies on an incredibly diverse workforce in order to function properly, I just find the idea that she'd be getting stared at and treated cruelly pretty damn stupid.

Yeah, it was a strange scene considering that, just by the very nature of their work, they'd HAVE to have a diverse group of operatives, including those of Islamic heritage. I feel like that scene was operating under the assumption that the audience would believe that Farah was the only person to ever walk into CIA headquarters wearing a hijab before.

KarmaCow

Well the show has already taken more than a few leaps to work its narrative. I also doubt that someone who "looks" Muslim a novelty in the CIA when they have several operations in the Middle East, but this bombing is their 911 analogue so this is their attempt to tackle the backlash.

Yeah, it was a strange scene considering that, just by the very nature of their work, they'd HAVE to have a diverse group of operatives, including those of Islamic heritage. I feel like that scene was operating under the assumption that the audience would believe that Farah was the only person to ever walk into CIA headquarters wearing a hijab before.

Well perhaps that first scene with her was supposed to be from her perspective rather than reality but it did seem like we're supposed to believe that's the case.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I don't buy for a second that the CIA would ever be in jeopardy of losing its charter. But that's applying real-world logic to a very fictional world.

Carrie is just too much. I've gone from being mesmerized by Claire Danes' performance to just feeling sorry for her.

Actually, that came very close to a reality in real life. Look up the Church Committee, after Vietnam, Nixon, and the release of the release of the "Family Jewels" documents to the congressional committee there was a great fear the the CIA would be dissolved. There was a great mistrust of the CIA in the late 70's after knowledge of the "family jewels" became public which included the CIA's assassination plans in Cuba, operation MK Ultra, and a couple other things.

The CIA was forever changed by the Church Committee and became very risk averse following this for fear of being shutdown, of course this risk aversion led to Osama Bin Laden getting away on numerous occasions which eventually led to 9/11. Now, we've seen the CIA come full circle where they are again in control of vast power including assassination. But, who knows how long this will continue.

There are a couple good books on this, try reading "The Way of the Knife" a recent novel by Mark Mazetti. It's essentially about the creation of the CIA drone program and the shift of the agency from espionage and intelligence to counter-terrorism and targeted killing. But, it also explains the history of the CIA and what had led to this change.

EDIT:
Although, I agree that I found the whole let's be racist to the Muslim seem pretty fucking stupid. This isn't 2002 get that shit out of the show, the CIA has an incredibly diverse workforce I find it hard to believe they would be staring down their coworkers for expressing their faith.

Actually, that came very close to a reality in real life. Look up the Church Committee, after Vietnam, Nixon, and the release of the release of the "Family Jewels" documents to the congressional committee there was a great fear the the CIA would be dissolved. There was a great mistrust of the CIA in the late 70's after knowledge of the "family jewels" became public which included the CIA's assassination plans in Cuba, operation MK Ultra, and a couple other things.

The CIA was forever changed by the Church Committee and became very risk averse following this for fear of being shutdown, of course this risk aversion led to Osama Bin Laden getting away on numerous occasions which eventually led to 9/11. Now, we've seen the CIA come full circle where they are again in control of vast power including assassination. But, who knows how long this will continue.

There are a couple good books on this, try reading "The Way of the Knife" a recent novel by Mark Mazetti. It's essentially about the creation of the CIA drone program and the shift of the agency from espionage and intelligence to counter-terrorism and targeted killing. But, it also explains the history of the CIA and what had led to this change.

EDIT:
Although, I agree that I found the whole let's be racist to the Muslim seem pretty fucking stupid. This isn't 2002 get that shit out of the show, the CIA has an incredibly diverse workforce I find it hard to believe they would be staring down their coworkers for expressing their faith.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

inm8num2

the Iran link isn't new to this season. at the start of S2, they brought Carrie back into the fold after Israel attacked Iran's nuclear facilities and they knew Iran would retaliate. The 12/12 bombing (that they spent the season trying to prevent) was that retaliation, through Brody and Abu Nazir. maybe the word is "prophetic"? :p

(I guess I'm the resident Homeland apologist now lol)

You're right, I remember that from last season. Still, my observation about the slowly growing 'Iran is the threat' sentiment remains, unless I'm presuming too much.

Arabs as the terrorists is sooooo 2008. ;)

It's kind of amusing that the show is pushing this Iran stuff at a time when Real Iran seems keen to transition to a more moderate approach to diplomacy.

Not the show's fault, though. Just bad timing, really.

inm8num2

It's kind of amusing that the show is pushing this Iran stuff at a time when Real Iran seems keen to transition to a more moderate approach to diplomacy.

Not the show's fault, though. Just bad timing, really.

Yea that's what I've been getting at. It's like the writers were expecting more tension and hostility with Iran off which to feed Homeland's stories and antagonist sentiments. Instead it feels out of place since nothing has actually happened with Iran in reality.

Contrast that to season 1 where you're focusing on the long-term aftermath of 9/11 and the War on Terror, something that did/does exist and has largely influenced our society, and I think the show loses some of its 'grounded' nature and overall commentary.

Another decent episode. I feel like they're slowly getting back on track, but the balance of the show is off right now. The Dana/Brody-fam plotline isn't unnecessary, but they're overemphasizing it and the dialogue/plot is pretty ham-fisted. I'm digging the Quinn stuff along with the new analyst that they brought in. I'd like them to use Dar Adal more, as well.

People are acting like the whole Dana stuff is some kind of filler but it's pretty obvious that this is a slow build to the show's actual story. The carpet scene was not there for nothing. Something will happen with Dana and it will affect Brody and Carrie. Dana has just too much screen time to be a filler. It's part of the main story. (Or there is nothing to tell anymore in the show..)

Actually i like how the show slowly but surely build something here. Indeed, last season was a 24 level of cliffhanger every 10 minutes, but this wasn't what the first season was.. And that's why it became ridiculous.

Now this can still be really bad in the end :p

People thought her storyline last year was going to mean something too, but guess what? It didn't mean shit. It's just filler and she's getting more screen time now because Brody isn't there to take up time and Morena Baccarin is pregnant so they have to limit her screen time too.

I was worried that S3 would be Carrie and Brody on the run, so it's nice that the show instead seems to have gotten "smaller" - more like S1.

Glad the bureaucratic intrigue is back. Not as glad about Dana and her moobs. And Carrie's quickly becoming the least interesting character on her own show.

I'm back on board...until the inevitable second half of the season tumble, I guess.

Dysun

People thought her storyline last year was going to mean something too, but guess what? It didn't mean shit. It's just filler and she's getting more screen time now because Brody isn't there to take up time and Morena Baccarin is pregnant so they have to limit her screen time too.

I didn't know that, makes sense why Mrs. Brody was shuffled into the background now

That scene was straight-up racist. This was the writers and director pushing a xenophobic message. Probably the first time in the show's run so far.

I'm disappointed.

Ugh. Hate to beat a dead horse, but way too much Dana & the Brodys.

Quinn is awesome. Let's cut out Dana and give the screen time to Quinn kicking ass.

The Brody Family stuff would be much more compelling had it happened last season - y'know, after Brody really did launch a terrorist attack.

Everything is so muddled now. Carrie is trying to prove to her superiors that Brody is innocent after spending a season-and-a-half trying to prove to them that he's guilty. The Brody family is coming to grips with the fact that their husband/dad is a terrorist, even though he's just sort of a terrorist at this point. And I don't know what the fuck to think about Saul anymore.

It's just becoming really hard to follow.

The parts of the show that actually deal with the terrorists are still captivating to me. Unfortunately, they only account for about a third of the show at this point. Crazy Carrie and her meltdowns are beginning to grate on me. Anything that has to do with Dana makes me want to slit my own wrists.

I don't know why I'm still watching this.

jett

D-Member
Maybe Suicidal Dana is some sort of meta-experiment, to make the viewers have suicidal thoughts every time she's on screen.

I have no idea what any characters motivations or purpose is anymore. This show last season decided to go all 24 ridiculousness and now is trying to get back to its Season 1 pace (I guess). But these are all established characters who are either retreading old territory or doing questionable things that never seemed to be a part of their persona.

I've never suffered from mental illness, but I know people who have, and I don't really appreciate the show's suggestion that one can't be professionally competent while on medication to treat mental illness.

And it doesn't even make sense within the show. Carrie was unquestionably at the top of her game in Season 1, back when she was getting meds from her sister.

nynt9

I've never suffered from mental illness, but I know people who have, and I don't really appreciate the show's suggestion that one can't be professionally competent while on medication to treat mental illness.

And it doesn't even make sense within the show. Carrie was unquestionably at the top of her game in Season 1, back when she was getting meds from her sister.

I think the show makes it pretty clear that Carrie really needs her meds and that's the point of the latest episode, despite what Carrie keeps claiming.

Joni

I think the show makes it pretty clear that Carrie really needs her meds and that's the point of the latest episode, despite what Carrie keeps claiming.
But at the same time, it is quite clear her paranoia and anger are justified as the CIA is trying to get her put away and is actively following her.

Borman

Exactly this. The idea that someone feels better or more like themselves off the meds isn't unique. The whole paranoia thing is interesting as well, as Joni pointed out she does have reason for it but the doctors don't know that. Interesting parallels to real life and all that and how it could happen, although again, not unique to the show really.

Don't mean to sound like a hater. But Claire Danes is too good for this show now. The writers kept up with her during season 1 and beginning of season 2, but now it's just embarrassing how badly they are letting her down with their writing.

I agree.

Also if Saul is not a mole, this show sucks.

But I think the show seemed to strongly suggest last season that yes, Carrie's meds did compromise her analytical abilities significantly. And I'm not saying that's not a real issue with meds for mental illness, but I think when the show has previously shown Carrie to be extremely competent while medicated, it's a bit harder for me to accept.

Honestly, I guess the real point is that I find the show's portrayal of mental illness to be - as is the case with many aspects of this show - increasingly caricatured.

Dysun

Making it Saul makes no sense, it's Dar Adal in some grand conspiracy or some bit player like Saul's wife

burnfout

The parts of the show that actually deal with the terrorists are still captivating to me. Unfortunately, they only account for about a third of the show at this point. Crazy Carrie and her meltdowns are beginning to grate on me. Anything that has to do with Dana makes me want to slit my own wrists.

I don't know why I'm still watching this.

This. Why is Dany and the rest still in this? Why is Brody Junior being a shrink to his mom all of a sudden?

The Carrie is crazy stuff feels like a repeat of last season. No progress at all.

The stuff with the bankers/analysts/quinn was the best part of the episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom