• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West |OT| Red Head Redemption - II -

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
And here we go. Vicnent Teoh explaining just what i have been trying to say with hard data and evidence!

The 30 fps mode is oversharpened and the brightness increases and decreases based on how fast you move the camera. This explains why adjusting the Camera sensitivity slider was helping some people.

I am so glad he did this. See? I am NOT crazy lmao.

performance mode issues are simple. Aliasing issues and cb artifacts.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Holy shit, what happened to Jim? Is he trans now?

Also, I mean I guess he makes some points but the primary concern I've seen regarding the changes to Aloy's face is that she looks different from the previous game. The changes are subtle but her face looks like a different person.
I said this before, Aloy's face is fine.
The problem they have is they used the voice actress face for facial mo-cap and she looks nothing like the model they used for Aloy

499full-hannah-hoekstra.jpg

If you watch any videos of Ashley you'll see all her expressions was translated to Aloy's character.
But none of Hannah's was, but Hannah's facial structure and everything else manipulated to match Ashley's expressions.
From the way she talks, smiles and looks.
None of them match what the original face was supposed to look like when doing so.
so it's a mismatch.

GymWolf

Gold Member
And here we go. Vicnent Teoh explaining just what i have been trying to say with hard data and evidence!

The 30 fps mode is oversharpened and the brightness increases and decreases based on how fast you move the camera. This makes sense why the Camera sensitivity slider was helping some people.

Does the video contains any sort of fix or hdr settings?

SlimySnake

No. There is a joke at the end where he mentions that the ingame default HDR settings are too bright and click here for his HDR settings vid, but then the text says he will only do it if this vid hits 100k views.

I suspect he will probably have it out by tomorrow.

Woggleman

At the start Aloy was sort of annoying but as the game goes on it is not afraid to call her out. The first game some people complained she was a Mary Sue but this time they show her flaws and all.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I said I finished returnal and souls/ sekiro no problem. No need to put shame in gears of war like games. It’s good fun.

Controls in horizon are not good. You catch o rocks and other stuff, enemies are a guess work, it is a hell of a grand for materials which you quickly run out of.

IMO reviewers are blind and idiots. Just the same way they overlooked first game flaws.

I love that the enemies are interesting and varied. But they all look the same, jump around like crazy and are weak to arbitrary methods which often make little sense.
I finished first horizon two times. I knew what I am getting into. But it’s not fun apparently.

I don’t want to overreact. The game is fine. But it’s not a 10

Controls are absolutely fine. Your complaints have zero backing whatsoever

Get good

SCB3

The problem they have is they used the voice actress face for facial mo-cap and she looks nothing like the model they used for Aloy

If you watch any videos of Ashley you'll see all her expressions was translated to Aloy's character.
But none of Hannah's was, but Hannah's facial structure and everything else manipulated to match Ashley's expressions.
None of them match what the original face was supposed to look like when doing so.
so it's a mismatch.

Have they fattened up Aloys model? Particularly in the face? The model you show here is much thinner in her features to be honest, it stands out more as Aloy is really fit so have a chubbier face is really weird

And I like Aloys model in game

SlimySnake

so it's a mismatch.

Hmm. Interesting. That could be it. However, There are a couple of other things in play. 1) They did fix her character model from the original State of Play gameplay trailer. She looks far more feminine now so the bitching and internet outrage worked. 2) Her character has only aged 6 months but her voice has aged 16 years. So it has created a disconnect between her character model who is only 18 and a half years old and her voice that sounds like a grown ass woman who has pumped out two kids and is just about done with her husbands bs.

I personally think its fine but I can see why others might have an issue with it. She is clearly the prettiest girl in the game which might be by design since they dont want anyone overshadowing her, but she's no longer fat or ugly like she was in the original gameplay reveal.

LENCH187

Great looking game.. like fantastically good. Been playing it in resolution mode. Hats off to GG for what they have done.

Bought Cyberpunk at the same time tho and that ticks more boxes for me, have no motivation to play Horizon, would rather play CP2077.. the one drawback of all digital I cant sell HFW as it feels like a waste of money especially with Elden Ring coming too then Final Fantasy in March. So dont know when or if I'll play it again

Last edited:

GustavoLT

The 30 fps mode is oversharpened and the brightness increases and decreases based on how fast you move the camera. This makes sense why the Camera sensitivity slider was helping some people.

I think to fix it what Guerrilla said is to start a new game to make the fix work, not restart the game nor console!

Never get the comparisons with TLOU

TLOU1 biggest weakeness was it's gameplay. It was shit. Zero Dawn already had steller combat.

Obviously the former was going to feel like a bigger jump in the combat deparment than the latter. With Forbidden West they did set out to make those refinements where it needed them. Better traversal, adding more layers to the combat, better side quests, and improvments on the whole RPG aspects which it was weak at.
Lol exactly! Also when it comes to enemy variety the comparison is laughable.

Forbidden west has added nearly 2 dozen machines to an already amazing lineup.

Last of us 2 added a dog and Fat free bloater!

SlimySnake

I am. It getting fucked. I am just complaining.

Btw. Pullcaster just broke. I double tap and it’s not doing anything. Fml I can’t climb
For what its worth, I got stuck twice during my Thunderjaw battle and it fucked me because that aggressive mother fucker was on me right away and mauled me to death before i could figure out how to get unstuck. Whats weird is that it was just a random small rock. That fight takes place in a large flat field with no trees or large rocks in sight.

cormack12

Gold Member
For what its worth, I got stuck twice during my Thunderjaw battle and it fucked me because that aggressive mother fucker was on me right away and mauled me to death before i could figure out how to get unstuck. Whats weird is that it was just a random small rock. That fight takes place in a large flat field with no trees or large rocks in sight.
Yeah environment is definitely 'catchy' bit frustrating at times

kyliethicc

HDR settings are easy. Leave it at default and let the TV tone map it.

Or disable tone mapping and use trial and error.

The defaults are default for a reason. Its designed by the devs to look best for most players.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Have they fattened up Aloys model? Particularly in the face? The model you show here is much thinner in her features to be honest, it stands out more as Aloy is really fit so have a chubbier face is really weird

They probably did something, I doubt the mo-cap fitted Hannah's face perfectly for everything and some adjustments was made.
Hmm. Interesting. That could be it. However, There are a couple of other things in play. 1) They did fix her character model from the original State of Play gameplay trailer. She looks far more feminine now so the bitching and internet outrage worked. 2) Her character has only aged 6 months but her voice has aged 16 years. So it has created a disconnect between her character model who is only 18 and a half years old and her voice that sounds like a grown ass woman who has pumped out two kids and is just about done with her husbands bs.

I personally think its fine but I can see why others might have an issue with it. She is clearly the prettiest girl in the game which might be by design since they dont want anyone overshadowing her, but she's no longer fat or ugly like she was in the original gameplay reveal.
I know she is supposed to be, but no way she is 18.
About 27 more like

Dr Bass

The 30 fps mode is oversharpened and the brightness increases and decreases based on how fast you move the camera. This explains why adjusting the Camera sensitivity slider was helping some people.

We were talking about this on release day. No you’re not crazy at all but it’s definitely been discussed already for like four days. :messenger_tongue:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Eeeeh beat 3 bosses this game is rather well boring?
i feel more like a fucking boyscout doing pointless chores instead of saving the planet so far,

i am having severe ubisoft open world syndrome issues right now
Hoping it will catch up soon because besides the crazy graphics this game is mediocre

I don’t think climb anywhere = better by default

The platforming in BOTW or ACV is literally nothing. You press up in BOTW and hope your stamina gauge is good enough. It’s extremely boring

The brilliance of BOTW is the discovery, not the platforming
That's why I like when Genshin adds new areas. The wonder of discovering and exploring new destinations is so good in these games. Too bad Genshin's Gacha nature make every region irrelevant after you first explore besides farming mats for new characters.

Horizon FB improved in this area a lot more than the first game. Being able to go basically everywhere by land, sky, or sea is the kind of thing this game missed. I remember trying to go above the mountains in Zero Dawn only to get frustrated that a huge portion of the gaming world was only reserved for landscape or invisible barriers. Can't complain much about it when they improved in so many areas, albeit I still think the climbing system is kind of wonky and limited sometimes (topography that already looks climbable but isn't).

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Does anyone notice a really annoying little “beep” rhythm music in conversations with people? It is very annoying. I’m using headphones so not sure if I am just picking a lot of the sound. The sound design is great apart from that.

Ovek

7Member7
Well I’m having a great time. Decided to max level my hunter quiver and the game sent me on a jolly journey for miles so I could slaughter Pelicans on a beach looking for a bone. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The distance I walked and the time it took to get to the beach I’m guessing I really wasn’t supposed to do it yet. The question now is do I walk all the way back which is a perilous journey at my level or warp back at a camp fire like a pussy.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I have more fun when I am sticking to main quests. Poseidon quest was really good. Enjoyed this part.
The graphics are crazy. I am not sure if it's as impressive as Death Stranding but it's up there or better in many places.
Took many screenshots but look at the pics of my tv. I am playing on 48" lg c1 on my desk at monitor distance. All the details are mind blowing especially on characters.
Pics normal distance and nose up the screen: (so the colors and pixelation get a little weird up close but gives some perception how good the native 4k can be with right assets)
HlHNk2l.jpg

GVj8s5R.jpg

Other pics:

cormack12

Gold Member
Was plodding along without effort really, even on hard. Then just did the path to the first cauldron. Damn those fuckers are crazy wild the way they charge you and gang up lol. Definitely more aggressive. Aside from that, the only issue I've had was with two Widemaws? That were guarding a dungeon bank but I didnt even have the breathing apparatus. So ended up having a twat of a fight for nothing.

Couldn't auto pilot that, had to strap in after a couple of deaths and play properly.

Fess

The game is awesome, finished the death door quest people has been talking about, story is going place, so awesome, don’t want to put it down but I need to sleep.

The climbing puzzles are boring an tedious though, feels like I’m playing a PS1 game.

Marvel14

Banned
Those who are playing it...is it a fair assessment that it is visually beautiful but the gameplay is not much of a leap from the original?

Dr. Claus

Banned

They absolutely did, hence why I don’t even see why they have a model when they look *nothing* alike. They coudl have made a custom character that better matches the general design of the voice actress so the mocap actually looks somewhat natural. Instead of like some Frankenstein like monster in movement.

OT: Decided to stop trying to go to every single location on the map and focused on whatever interests me at the time. Made enjoying the game a lot easier as I was starting to feel it was getting bogged down by checklist-itis.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Those who are playing it...is it a fair assessment that it is visually beautiful but the gameplay is not much of a leap from the original?
It’s a refined version of the original. Like they spent time tweaking the original instead of trying to reinvent or replace things. Great sequel in that way.

RafterXL

Off topic but battery life on PS5 controllers is even worse than PS4. I have had to take a break for a half an hour while the controller charges multiple times. I am thinking about going down to Best Buy and getting a long cord so I can just power it through USB.
DualSense battery life is pathetic. On Saturday I went through two fully charged controllers in a single session. Yeah, it was a long session, but I can get 5x that amount on one charge of Eneloops on my XSX controller and my Elite 2, which has an internal battery, lasts about 50% longer than that.
I'll start by saying Zero Dawn is probably my favorite PS4 game and one of my favorite games of all time. I also just replayed and finished HZD the day before Forbidden West released so I remember exactly how it feels and plays. Having said that these are my thoughts on Forbidden West:

I think the gameplay is worse. Climbing, Scanning, Combat are all regressions from the first game.

In the base HZD virtually every machine had different tactics, Guerrilla changed that in Frozen Wilds by making everything super agressive and similar and threw strategy out the window. Forbidden West follows suit, everything is super agressive, immediately charges into melee range, and every fight plays out the same way. Human enemies are terrible because they all wear headgear that making sniping impossible and every fight is either stealth kill or another melee battle. Melee combat is, thankfully, improved and that's about the only part I prefer.

They also give you a larger weapon wheel, but then water it down by having weapons that have a single element or skill. You only had 4 weapons slots in HZD but you had far more diversity in those four than you have in HFW with more slots. I have like 30 weapons right now that could be replaced by maybe 6-8 in the first game.

Scanning is terrible because it last like two seconds (not an exaggeration), so you're CONSTANTLY scanning and it leaves this hideous neon light on terrain if you set the option to keep it on permanently. You also have to scan mobs right after you kill them and by the time you loot an item or two you have to scan again to find the rest. I get that they wanted to remove the pointers from the first game, but I'd rather have them than the current scanning method. You can really tell that all the design decisions were heavily weighted towards pretty images rather than QoL.

Frankly, every part of this game that is better is centered around the graphics IMO. Maybe the story will end up better, but as of right now, 18 hours in, it's a wash. The first game is also more polished, and has less jank. Honestly, if the first game had these graphics, animations, models, I'd take it over this game any day of the week.

Banned
Off topic but battery life on PS5 controllers is even worse than PS4. I have had to take a break for a half an hour while the controller charges multiple times. I am thinking about going down to Best Buy and getting a long cord so I can just power it through USB.

the batteries are also shit in terms of quality. one of my DualSense's battery is already fucking dead, as in doesn't hold a charge anymore for more than an hour... why? because I used it through USB too much is my only guess... but I do that with my Xbox and PS4 controllers too all the time without issue so far 🙃

Very much the original game but cranked up to 10 on everything.

The biggest improvements are the NPC’s, Exploration, and Side quest. They feel in the same league as witcher 3 only better acted in this

This game might make it to my top 5 playstation 1st party game. I’m extremely addicted to it like i haven’t been with a game in a long time

Last edited:

Chronicle

Great looking game.. like fantastically good. Been playing it in resolution mode. Hats off to GG for what they have done.

Bought Cyberpunk at the same time tho and that ticks more boxes for me, have no motivation to play Horizon, would rather play CP2077.. the one drawback of all digital I cant sell HFW as it feels like a waste of money especially with Elden Ring coming too then Final Fantasy in March. So dont know when or if I'll play it again
Same :(

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
I've been home playing all 3 day weekend. I just hit level 30 and side quests keep coming.
I'm hooked on the game. Got a pretty good feel about what it's allowed me to do so far anyway.
I've had a few glitchy hickups. One where I was in an old world facility and the game started hitching into the single digit frames. Still played but it was like the game would stop and go stop and go. It went away after a restart.

Does anyone else have a glitch in the focus that constantly shows a block box signal no matter where you are on the map? Is this a glitch or is it just always supposed to be there?

Are there procedurally generated quests when you sit and talk with people at campfires for rumors about stuff? I'm starting to think they are random generated. If so I'm going to ignore them. But if not I'll do them.

These side quests and characters, they really put some work and thought into them. Really well done stuff.

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
I only have one controller. I've looked in my area for others but they are sold out everywhere. I've been playing all weekend and the controller has to be charged twice a day.
Battery life is indeed bad. I get about 5 hours then see the battery warning message and then I can go another 1 hour before its dead.
I want to use the rumble so I'm not turning that off. Also not using wires like some Oseram backwoods hick.

Top Bottom