• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West |OT| Red Head Redemption - II -

T-Cake

This is starting to lose me a bit on some of the climbing gameplay, I'm up to the mission "Deaths Door" and inside an Ancient bunker

I almost quit at that section, the jumping was so inconsistent. But then there's an epic reveal straight after so I'm glad I didn't.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Ran into another bug. One of the enemies spawned underground and when I decided to load the checkpoint, the enemy disappeared and now I am unable to complete the side mission.

I was never a huge fan of open-world games, but that changed ever since Horizon Zero Dawn. The enemies in both Zero Dawn and Forbidden West just feel very different from one another and that's what I enjoy most about it. In most open world games that I've played, you're always fighting different variations of the same type of enemy, and fight scenes can just feel very repetitive after a while.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The complaints about the combat are hilarious.

“What do stats do in a rpg game?”

What are weaknesses?”

“What are weak points?”

“Why doesn’t stagger build up quick enough?”

“Why do I have different bows, the game is too complex”

At this point, you should probably stick to mobile gaming. You all have phones right?
Pretty much this.

People forget that this is a fucking action RPG...

If you dislike numbers or elemental weakness, or builds or upgrading weapons or status effect, clearly the game is not for you and you may be more happy with a pure tps where you mindless aim for headshots all the time.

Last edited:

TheTurboFD

Anyone else find it difficult to find parts you've broken off ? Especially when fighting multiple machines? I wish there was a better visual indicator on where they dropped instead of me having to spam R3 in hopes of finding it.

I wish that instead of having to equip different bows with different elemental powers, I could just switch ammo types instead

Not sure if this has been mentioned in the last 22 pages of this thread lol

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Anyone else find it difficult to find parts you've broken off ? Especially when fighting multiple machines? I wish there was a better visual indicator on where they dropped instead of me having to spam R3 in hopes of finding it.

My only main complaint with the game is looting.

Would be nice if you just auto-looted and a small icon would pop up on the screen saying you’ve obtained a critical component

Also…they really needed to steal the ghost of Tsushima scavenging system where it doesn’t pause with an animation for looting items in the overworld

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It shouldn’t take 30-45 minutes to beat anything in these games.
Thats because I died several times. Twice because I got stuck. I actually almost got him on my first try but ended up getting stuck. The full fight itself was around 10 minutes. They have nerfed the disc launchers you shoot off of him. They only have four discs and they only do 300 damage. I was not underleveled either. Was around level 20. And had a blue weapon fully maxed out.

I have beaten Horizon like 6 times. 3x in the last month alone. I know you have to use elemental weapons and other things in your arsenal, but the sequel basically revolves around hitting weakpoints. It has become THE focus of the game. If you want to take down a thunderjaw, you will need to remove its tail, its guns, and sensors one by one. I am sure in the end game more options will open up but right now 15-20 hours in, there is simply no other way to destroy it without individually taking out components due to the nerfing of body damage in this game.

Regardless, my biggest complain is how aggressive the enemies are even on Normal. Probably shouldve been tied to the Ultra Hard difficulty like in the first game. The rest will probably not be a big deal when we get legendary weapons with OP perks and coils.

SCB3

I almost quit at that section, the jumping was so inconsistent. But then there's an epic reveal straight after so I'm glad I didn't.
Thats 2 for 2 on sections like these being shit tbh

Also the reveal was good, I actually expected this is where the first game was gonna go but didn't

GymWolf

Gold Member
Had no trouble with any platforming on Deaths Door

Slow down and stop playing it like an Uncharted game. There’s a little more old school tomb raider here
Yeah, it is a bit janky but not difficult per se.

Most of the times i failed some climbing was me using circle instead of square to let go the grip resulting in a wide jump....

The double tap to grapple hook never failed once, you need to jump and wait the for small icon to appear before double pressing or it is not gonna register the input.

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Had no trouble with any platforming on Deaths Door
Me too.
Slow down and stop playing it like an Uncharted game. There’s a little more old school tomb raider here
Exactly! On the one hand people are complain about "the ancient old PS360 traversale mechanic" and then when there is some precision needed its all like: "Muh, dem platform yank!"

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I take out components I need first carefully then move on to unleashing maximum carnage

This is me too. I want to open up a fight obliterating their defenses.

I mean, one could cave man it and try to brute force down a mechanical beast ten times larger and faster than themselves, or rather think like a superior predator and lay a few traps or something and goad it into a position where your small size and pocket full of goodies make all the difference.

Some people make this game more complicated than it is then complain about it.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Me too.

Exactly! On the one hand people are complain about "the ancient old PS360 traversale mechanic" and then when there is some precision needed its all like: "Muh, dem platform jank!"
I don't have the game but what you guys are talking about reminds me of the Tomb Raider reboot. It's pretty close to Uncharted, but it doesn't auto-correct you into the pre-placed spot quite as aggressively, and you can miss jumps if you jump too early. But I know they said a lot of the climbing and traversal stuff in this was procedurally generated and at a much larger open world scale, so who knows.

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

I don't have the game but what you guys are talking about reminds me of the Tomb Raider reboot. It's pretty close to Uncharted, but it doesn't auto-correct you into the pre-placed spot quite as aggressively, and you can miss jumps if you jump too early. But I know they said a lot of the climbing and traversal stuff in this was procedurally generated and at a much larger open world scale, so who knows.
It's sure not as aggressive and doesn't feel like a magnet is pulling you to the ledge when you jump to far away. Not that i never missed a jump but i always felt it needs precision and not that it is badly designed. Just like James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford said slow down and take your time for a jump and maybe don't spam the jump button.

kyliethicc

The shieldwing is so fun to mess around with. Best new mechanic for this game, no question. Instantly makes exploring fun.

That's part of the challenge lol. Its like hunting. The hunt doesn't end after shooting. Gotta watch the parts fly and chase em down. Its helpful to tag the part before hand.

Last edited:
I haven't yet played the game. Isnt there a fast weapon equip key? Like dpads or something?

I liked how GoT handled it.
Not that i know of. Left and right is for cycling through traps and other consumables. Down is to equip/use consumable. For the life of me, i cant remember what up is for

L1 is weapon wheel

Edit:

Oh up is meds/berries from the pouch

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
I like the game but it’s so bloated. So much open world crap and combat is annoying.
Gear system is a bit too confusing, skills are pointless.
So much resistance and weaknesses. You even have to shoot explosive barrels with right arrow… cmon.
So I carry 3 fucking bows with me and bunch of other crap weapons.

I enjoy some of it but it’s too complex… in a wrong way. And I am at 18% after 20 hours. Who are these super long games for.

And it’s not like you can explore. Playing main story first is essential before exploring and side quests. Then I find myself 2 levels below recommended and grind side quests…. This game did not had to be an rpg. And don’t get me started on stash and cost of tear arrows crafting. Wtf.

Story, graphics, production are all great
This is exactly why I don’t touch these games. I tried playing a bit more of Zero Dawn this weekend because of FW hype and they’re really not for me. The combat looks very messy. I also don’t like the hyper/garish aesthetics.

Tsushima though, I platinumed that game with the biggest smile on my face.

Aloy licking her lips in 60 fps
y1ZUWEz.jpg
7zlsgAF.jpg

Interfectum

My only main complaint with the game is looting.

Would be nice if you just auto-looted and a small icon would pop up on the screen saying you’ve obtained a critical component

Also…they really needed to steal the ghost of Tsushima scavenging system where it doesn’t pause with an animation for looting items in the overworld
I just platinumed Ghost of Tsushima before starting this game and there are a lot of things that GoT does better TBH. Looting, climbing, limited UI interference, etc. In some ways Horizon 2 feels like a step back... I still love the game though just noticing some QOL issues.

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Question - is the underwater gear main campagin or side quest? Im just entering plainsong with the gravedigger and there are a few places i cant explore yet. Just want to know if I need to go find a specific sidequest I've missed/not come across yet...
You will get it from a main mission. Can't miss it.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I just platinumed Ghost of Tsushima before starting this game and there are a lot of things that GoT does better TBH. Looting, climbing, limited UI interference, etc. In some ways Horizon 2 feels like a step back... I still love the game though just noticing some QOL issues.

Climbing in GoT is very limited though. Not really comparable. I enjoy the less automatic platforming in HFW

I loved GoT but there’s just so much more to HFW and the combat is significantly more fun and varied

Interfectum

Climbing in GoT is very limited though. Not really comparable. I enjoy the less automatic platforming in HFW

I loved GoT but there’s just so much more to HFW and the combat is significantly more fun and varied
I'm not enjoying the climbing in Horizon though... I feel like without spamming the UI shit you wouldn't know where to climb. And even then there are very limited areas you can climb in, most are red Xs all over the place (granted I'm only 10 hours in so far so that could change).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is exactly why I don’t touch these games. I tried playing a bit more of Zero Dawn this weekend because of FW hype and they’re really not for me. The combat looks very messy. I also don’t like the hyper/garish aesthetics.

Tsushima though, I platinumed that game with the biggest smile on my face.
The combat in FW is so random. One time, i am taking down 2 huge turtles, aiming at their points, detaching guns - situation UNDER CONTROL like a pro.
Other time a jumping jacks weasels and sawface tooth face robots take me down randomly just like that.
Then You realize that all human enemies have these super awesome helmets, so nobody goes down in 1 shot in the head.

Tsushima looked to me like a very AC busy work game. Is it not? I still have to get it some day.
I loved Death Stranding... which is the biggest surprise when it comes to these games :p

And the loot system is atrocious. Hard to recognize what weapons and armors are better or not. Then they level too... which you never have materials for.
And all the junk. You constantly hold x on everything to pick everything up

Last edited:

Interfectum

True but HFW also has a glider and some better tools to get around.
True but also along those lines the horse control in GoT is much better than the ground mount controls in Horizon 2. (can't speak for flying mounts or whatever else happens throughout the game though)

Last edited:

Fess

I'm not enjoying the climbing in Horizon though... I feel like without spamming the UI shit you wouldn't know where to climb. And even then there are very limited areas you can climb in, most are red Xs all over the place (granted I'm only 10 hours in so far so that could change).
My experience as well. The talk around launch about how there would be climbing spots all over the place so free climbing wouldn’t even be needed was complete bullshit. The grappling is even worse, super rare. If I would rate it today I would shave off 1 whole point just because of the limited and annoying climbing. So 9/10.

Interfectum

My experience as well. The talk around launch about how there would be climbing spots all over the place so free climbing wouldn’t even be needed was complete bullshit. The grappling is even worse, super rare. If I would rate it today I would shave off 1 whole point just because of the limited and annoying climbing. So 9/10.
I just don't understand why they would create a game with beautiful graphics and have a mechanic that covers those graphics up with line UI as you climb. And like you said, it's still limited just not AS limited as before. But I'd almost prefer the old way as I can just see it when I walk up to it instead of spamming R3 looking for yellow.

tommib

Gold Member
The combat in FW is so random. One time, i am taking down 2 huge turtles, aiming at their points, detaching guns - situation UNDER CONTROL like a pro.
Other time a jumping jacks weasels and sawface tooth face robots take me down randomly just like that.
Then You realize that all human enemies have these super awesome helmets, so nobody goes down in 1 shot in the head.

Tsushima looked to me like a very AC busy work game. Is it not? I still have to get it some day.
I loved Death Stranding... which is the biggest surprise when it comes to these games :p

And the loot system is atrocious. Hard to recognize what weapons and armors are better or not. Then they level too... which you never have materials for.
And all the junk. You constantly hold x on everything to pick everything up
Oh, man. Tsushima is lovely, really. It’s super zen and beautiful and elegant. The combat is actually interesting IMO and you’re invested in the skill points - like an entry-level Sekiro. I liked every single quest and all the random characters. Everything from Horizon though leaves me totally cold.

You should try the Director’s Cut if you find it at a good price. The best I can tell you is that I don’t like Ubisoft games but I found Tsushima adorable. The art direction is super consistent compared to Horizon which to me looks like someone pumped up all the colours with radioactive paint.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I mean, one could cave man it and try to brute force down a mechanical beast ten times larger and faster than themselves, or rather think like a superior predator and lay a few traps or something and goad it into a position where your small size and pocket full of goodies make all the difference.
But the entire point of introducing five different skill trees was to allow players to play it THIER way. If I am investing literally 50 points maxing out the Hunter tree, I shouldnt have to set traps and use brains. It's like playing as a Mage or Warrior class in WRPGs. If invest in Strength, and fully max out the skills, I want to see that difference in my playthrough. I mean there is literally a Skill tree dedicated for traps. The game is meant to be played the way YOU want to play it.

What ended up happening is that they basically overtuned and elongated the skill trees so now instead of simply buying three skills that let you upgrade your slow mo and nook 3 arrows at once, you have to go through 10 skills just to get to where you were in HZD. I am struggling to see what other benefits the hunter tree provides besides enhanced concentration. The valor increases your dps but runs out pretty fast. The shock discharge only occurs when you defeat while valor is active. Wouldve been a great ability if it was exclusive to the hunter skill tree.

And again, this isnt anyone's first rodeo. We have all platinumed Horizon and have beaten it on Ultra Hard on NG+. There are just some design choices made here that make fights just a tiny bit different which is throwing people off. We basically have to unlearn everything which could be a good thing for some sequels, but it can also cause frustration.

Here is a very good post on era that outlines why the combat isnt exactly optimal this time around:

I'm glad other people are feeling the lack of weapon variety. It's very recently started to get a bit better for me, but I feel like most of the strategies I used in ZD no longer work and I'm being forced to tackle every enemy virtually the same way. Maybe there's new strategies present that I'm just missing, but the robots feel like bullet sponges sometimes when I'm stuck just spamming arrows at them. Ropecasters feel worse, there's a hard limit on the number of traps you can set (and some, like the tripwire, are harder to place and easier for the enemies to dodge), blastsling feels like it's not as good for dealing elemental damage as it needs to be, the sniper bow feels too slow with too little ammo to be as effective as I'd like (especially when many critical parts appear harder to knock off now), the warrior bows feel too inaccurate, and I'm not really sure how the shredder gauntlet is even supposed to be used most effectively (though it does seem to have potential). I hear that melee is more viable, but I haven't put any points into that part of the skill tree yet so I've yet to see it.

For most of my fights I'm just trying my best to target weak spots with the hunter bow and then using critical strikes or the explosive javelin to capitalize on their weakened state. I'll throw down some tripwires when I can, but that's about it. The blastsling and boltblaster have some niche uses, so I keep them on hand, but it's hard to build a strategy around them.

Maybe I'm just bad but I beat ZD on hard and managed to develop strategies for each bot pretty quickly, and a lot of them didn't revolve around spamming roll and shooting the standard bow. Feels like I'm flailing a lot more here.

Edit: it doesn't help that it takes sooo long to get weapons at a high enough level to cover all the elements, or that a lot of weapon utility is now locked behind upgrades, the weapon stamina cooldown system, and skill tree unlocks. It just feels like they overtweaked a lot of systems that didn't need it without adding enough new stuff to fill the gaps they left behind.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I just don't understand why they would create a game with beautiful graphics and have a mechanic that covers those graphics up with line UI as you climb. And like you said, it's still limited just not AS limited as before. But I'd almost prefer the old way as I can just see it when I walk up to it instead of spamming R3 looking for yellow.

They are going for a curated platforming experience. This is not a climb anywhere game. Nor would that make it better. It certainly added nothing to ACV

Fess

You can have climbing spots shown att all time though if you change a setting. But it’s dumbing it down and looks bad.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I turned on the always show climbing points in the accessibility after 15 hours. I got tired of scanning every room that needed platforming.

Silvawuff

There's an option to highlight climbable stuff without the Focus spam.

Fess

They are going for a curated platforming experience. This is not a climb anywhere game. Nor would that make it better. It certainly added nothing to ACV
ACV has about 10000000000000 times better climbing than this. Even UC4 is better, certainly Lost Legacy which I just played through. It’s just annoying in HFW, worst aspect of an otherwise absolutely phenomenal game, imo.

Top Bottom