• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West |OT| Red Head Redemption - II -

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Speak english please.

Can i do all of that from the ps5?
Yeah. Should be in settings somewhere. You should be able to link Twitter and Youtube.

Go to your media folder. On the video you want to upload, press the share button, and a new window will pop up and it will let you select twitter or youtube if you have already them linked. If not, link them using the settings above.

I think I may be locked out of the rest of the game:

I literally cannot get past this fucking open door

Turn around and go the other way. The marker is fucked. You are not supposed to go there. Go past the arena.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah. Should be in settings somewhere. You should be able to link Twitter and Youtube.

Go to your media folder. On the video you want to upload, press the share button, and a new window will pop up and it will let you select twitter or youtube if you have already them linked. If not, link them using the settings above.

Turn around and go the other way. The marker is fucked. You are not supposed to go there. Go past the arena.

No promises, i'm extremely lazy when it comes to this stuff and i'm not even sure if i have a youtube channel, never created one...

cormack12

Gold Member
Question about the side quest with Talanah

Do I return to get access to the back door? I can't find a databank nearby with the unlock code in it.

Also fuck games that say level 15 quest, then throw a level 27 beast at you. The AI is gormless, and it turned into just a kite into the rocks trap exercise. Beyond tedious.

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
Question about the side quest with Talanah

Do I return to get access to the back door? I can't find a databank nearby with the unlock code in it.

Also fuck games that say level 15 quest, then throw a level 27 beast at you. The AI is gormless, and it turned into just a kite into the rocks trap exercise. Beyond tedious.
You have to get another quest later on the other side of the tunnel. the code is found on other side.

Paasei

I got quite tilted yesterday because of a challenge in the games “second” area.

Stealth hunter challenge with 3 kills Silent Strike. Somehow I don’t oneshot them eventhough I’m 10 levels higher than the suggested one. Looked up a video of some random dude, but he does oneshot them. The fuck am I missing?

cormack12

Gold Member
I got quite tilted yesterday because of a challenge in the games “second” area.

Stealth hunter challenge with 3 kills Silent Strike. Somehow I don’t oneshot them eventhough I’m 10 levels higher than the suggested one. Looked up a video of some random dude, but he does oneshot them. The fuck am I missing?
I have the same! Leaves them with a sliver of health. I looked through the skill trees to see if I am missing some sort of crit/stealth bonus but can't see one!!! And then it fucking alerts every other mech!!!

Greggy

This is like saying you’re reading a novel and by the first page you can tell the story sucks.

You are literally nowhere. And you didn’t finish the first game. Surely you can see how stupid of a complaint that is.

So on that topic, I just completed deaths door and yeah … wondering where this is going for sure.

Also the character animation seems to have gotten even better as the game goes on. It’s the best I’ve personally seen in a video game without question. Now I also don’t play everything, so are there games that look as good as this in terms of the realism of the animation? I don’t even know if it can be much improved upon its that good. Yes characters could be rendered more realistically, but in terms of the animation detail … very impressed.

The game is getting better and better as I go and feels better than the first for sure IMO. Truly incredible stuff at times.
It's HOW the story is told told that sucks. The words are unecessarily complicated to make it sound sci fi and there isn't much sense of why you should care. You just think: send me the next machine to beat and don't make the traversal to get to it too nonsensical. Beautiful game though.

TheTurboFD

The shieldwing is so fun to mess around with. Best new mechanic for this game, no question. Instantly makes exploring fun.

That's part of the challenge lol. Its like hunting. The hunt doesn't end after shooting. Gotta watch the parts fly and chase em down. Its helpful to tag the part before hand.

True, but fighting the Thunderjaw and trying to tag a part is a little difficult sometimes haha

Trogdor1123

Had a terrible bug last night. Was in the area outside of broken dawn and the frame rate dropped to around 10-15 fps and at a random pace too. Did a quit and restart and it was fine, still. It was awful though. Occurred 2 times

Topher

Gold Member
It's HOW the story is told told that sucks. The words are unecessarily complicated to make it sound sci fi and there isn't much sense of why you should care. You just think: send me the next machine to beat and don't make the traversal to get to it too nonsensical. Beautiful game though.

The story makes it explicitly clear why you should care right off the bat. What are you not understanding other than the words they used somehow being "complicated"?

GymWolf

Gold Member
The story makes it explicitly clear why you should care right off the bat. What are you not understanding other than the words they used somehow being "complicated"?
Pretty sure he is trolling.

Nobody goes into an heavy scifi story just to cry about the jargon...
Also horizon explain fucking everything in details, there is nothing left to imagination, maybe not after 2 hours lol...

Does he also cry every time a star trek dude says energize or phaser??

Last edited:

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Had a terrible bug last night. Was in the area outside of broken dawn and the frame rate dropped to around 10-15 fps and at a random pace too. Did a quit and restart and it was fine, still. It was awful though. Occurred 2 times
Had exactly the same on the weekend. Felt like a constant change between fast and slow framerate changes. Like a hiccup.

Topher

Gold Member
Pretty sure he is trolling.

Nobody goes into an heavy scifi story just to cry about the jargon...
Also horizon explain fucking everything in details, there is nothing left to imagination, maybe not after 2 hours lol...

Does he also cry every time a star trek dude says energize or phaser??

Well if the complaints start within the first two hours then it becomes pretty obvious, doesn't it? I was thinking the same thing about Star Trek-ish jargon. Do I really care that the thing is called a "dylithium chamber"? Sounds a hell of a lot better than some dumbed down shit like "big glowy box thing that makes the ship go". If that is the complaint then the point is to invent things to complain about, frankly, There is a bit of that going around and it is easy to spot in comparison to those who have genuine criticisms.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I'll start by saying Zero Dawn is probably my favorite PS4 game and one of my favorite games of all time. I also just replayed and finished HZD the day before Forbidden West released so I remember exactly how it feels and plays. Having said that these are my thoughts on Forbidden West:

I think the gameplay is worse. Climbing, Scanning, Combat are all regressions from the first game.

In the base HZD virtually every machine had different tactics, Guerrilla changed that in Frozen Wilds by making everything super agressive and similar and threw strategy out the window. Forbidden West follows suit, everything is super agressive, immediately charges into melee range, and every fight plays out the same way. Human enemies are terrible because they all wear headgear that making sniping impossible and every fight is either stealth kill or another melee battle. Melee combat is, thankfully, improved and that's about the only part I prefer.

They also give you a larger weapon wheel, but then water it down by having weapons that have a single element or skill. You only had 4 weapons slots in HZD but you had far more diversity in those four than you have in HFW with more slots. I have like 30 weapons right now that could be replaced by maybe 6-8 in the first game.

Scanning is terrible because it last like two seconds (not an exaggeration), so you're CONSTANTLY scanning and it leaves this hideous neon light on terrain if you set the option to keep it on permanently. You also have to scan mobs right after you kill them and by the time you loot an item or two you have to scan again to find the rest. I get that they wanted to remove the pointers from the first game, but I'd rather have them than the current scanning method. You can really tell that all the design decisions were heavily weighted towards pretty images rather than QoL.

Frankly, every part of this game that is better is centered around the graphics IMO. Maybe the story will end up better, but as of right now, 18 hours in, it's a wash. The first game is also more polished, and has less jank. Honestly, if the first game had these graphics, animations, models, I'd take it over this game any day of the week.
Exactly my thoughts on the game. I think all the hoopla over graphics issues are distracting from the fact that this game's combat and systems are a step back from the first game.

I remember how you basically got purple weapons as soon as you got to Merdian. If you had enough shards, you could buy them. The purple hunter bow required just a watcher heart. The percision bow required a sawtooth heart. The first real fight in the game. Here, they have locked them behind enemies that dont even spawn yet. I went to several Tideripper locations and its not there. The quest simply says machine not found yet. Upgrading weapons is a pain in the ass too. Why do i need to hunt for different parts all the time? It's a blue weapon. I am going to be discarding it anyway.

The changes to overriding enemies makes no sense either. So I get the ability to override something by completing cauldrons and then i have to go hunting for parts again? it was fine the way it was in the first game. Whats up with them adding all these additional roadblocks for you to be having fun?

In the first game, the first trex was a big gate check. Took me an hour to figure out how to beat it, but when I did he was a great source of legendary coils that automatically upgraded my weapons. The game rewarded you for taking on stormbirds, thunderjaws, rockbreakers and behemoths by giving you up to three legendary coils. Here, you are lucky to get one and even that coil could be basically useless if you arent a stealth or melee build.

Scanning by holding down R3 mid battle makes no sense. I have no idea what they were thinking with this change especially since body damage is no longer a thing now. You HAVE to hit weakpoints or see 1-3 damage pop up on screen, but thats fine. It is a design choice, but then why did they remove the ability to highlight all the weakpoints by simply tapping R3?

EDIT: I looked at the wiki for Weapon acquisition details and only the Adept (NG+ weapons) and Ultra Hard Difficulty settings require hearts of hard to kill dinobots as well as massively increasing their shard cost. I brought up enemy aggression earlier, and it seems the game is basically balanced as an Ultra Hard on not just enemy aggressiveness but also ingame economy. The first legendary bow in the game is 1500 shards (3x more than it was in the first game) and requires parts of robots who havent been introduced in the story yet. This is why im not a fan of this whole choose your difficulty accessibility options in Sony games. Devs dont even bother to design games around normal difficulty anymore.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm fucking mad that even elex 2 has better hit reactions and ragdoll for human bow combat

kehqSH.gif

(You can see the way more fluid version in elex 2 combat trailer)

I really have no clue why guerrilla didn't improved this aspect from the first game, i mean they improved a bit but it still look like shit.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Well if the complaints start within the first two hours then it becomes pretty obvious, doesn't it? I was thinking the same thing about Star Trek-ish jargon. Do I really care that the thing is called a "dylithium chamber"? Sounds a hell of a lot better than some dumbed down shit like "big glowy box thing that makes the ship go". If that is the complaint then the point is to invent things to complain about, frankly, There is a bit of that going around and it is easy to spot in comparison to those who have genuine criticisms.
Talk to me when your heuristic power is gonna be higher than 40% or i'm gonna absorb your filthy ass.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I'm fucking mad that even elex 2 has better hit reactions and ragdoll for human bow combat

kehqSH.gif

(You can see the way more fluid version in elex 2 combat trailer)

I really have no clue why guerrilla didn't improved this aspect from the first game, i mean they improved a bit but it still look like shit.
Really? i noticed a pretty big improvement in enemy animations especially after they get hit. A lot of new death animations.

It's not ragdoll but it reminded me of TLOU2's excellent death animations and voice acting.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Really? i noticed a pretty big improvement in enemy animations especially after they get hit. A lot of new death animations.

It's not ragdoll but it reminded me of TLOU2's excellent death animations and voice acting.
Ok now you are just straight up trolling me...

It looks fucking awful, the comparison with tlou2 is unfunny comedy.

I just use melee against them because i cringe every time i hit them with a bow or i see how they react\fall down.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Ok now you are just straight up trolling...
You had mentioned using melee right?

I mostly use bow and arrows against human enemies. The death animations are very well done. Headshots briefly stun them as they drop on their knees or their backs. Neck shots make them gargle blood. The same disturbing noises enemies make in TLOU2 as they lie there in their own pool of blood. Enemies call out their friends dying just like IN TLOU2 though not by name.

It is a big improvement over the first when they just fell after a headshot.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
You had mentioned using melee right?

I mostly use bow and arrows against human enemies. The death animations are very well done. Headshots briefly stun them as they drop on their knees or their backs. Neck shots make them gargle blood. Enemies call out their friends dying just like IN TLOU2 though not by name.
Don't take it the wrong way dude, but remember me to NEVER ask you something again about hit reactions\death animations if that is what you really think...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
HFW couldn't get too graphic with the gore because I think they wanted to maintain the T rating. TLOU2 earned every bit of that M rating.
Who ever talked about gore? Do you see gore in the gif i posted?

Try to replicate a natural dinamic animation with proper ragdoll without precanned shit like the gif in horizon, i challenge you.

Same thing for the melee, bodies are super fucking rigid in this game, they behawe like plank of woods...if there is some sort of ragdoll it must be the worse implementation i ever seen in my life.

Dinobots have better ragdoll thank to god, but they are still kinda rigid when they die.

I love the game to death but i can't ignore this.

Last edited:

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
The game is DEFINITELY starting to click. It’s like the first game in that way, but it takes even longer.
Took me over 20 hours to get the item upgrade click. I was worried early on when At the beginning of the game I was upgrading every weapon all the way. But now I see that those were just the weak starting bows and you get newer better stuff that is much harder to upgrade.

The menu designers need to put some more art assets in the item display. They use the same art pic for many different items.
I wonder if they did that to keep the menus fast.

Started playing this recently and liking it so far but have few issues.
  • Regalla edition statue is worse looking than Collector's edition one. It has too much going on for it compred to Collector's edition which is neater and cleaner.
  • Had severe frame rate drop during the first Bristleback fight (favored resolution). I had to restart the PS5 to fix it as reatarting the game twice didn't fix it.
  • Lots of clipping everywhere all involving garment be it clothes, tents etc. Aloy stands with half above a tent covering and half below.
  • Spear combat is still bad so far (I just finished the embassy quest) so hoping it gets better with upgrades and skills.
  • Climbing is clunky. I was able to randomly monkey jump around to reach areas without actually grabbing any ledge. In some places it is snug but many areas are hit or miss.
Other than that I am enjoying the game. Graphics are awesome as expected, lots of characters and interaction, quests/side quests are good so far and the weapons/costumes/skills unlocked so far feel good.

Dr. Claus

Banned
Exactly my thoughts on the game. I think all the hoopla over graphics issues are distracting from the fact that this game's combat and systems are a step back from the first game.

I remember how you basically got purple weapons as soon as you got to Merdian. If you had enough shards, you could buy them. The purple hunter bow required just a watcher heart. The percision bow required a sawtooth heart. The first real fight in the game. Here, they have locked them behind enemies that dont even spawn yet. I went to several Tideripper locations and its not there. The quest simply says machine not found yet. Upgrading weapons is a pain in the ass too. Why do i need to hunt for different parts all the time? It's a blue weapon. I am going to be discarding it anyway.

The changes to overriding enemies makes no sense either. So I get the ability to override something by completing cauldrons and then i have to go hunting for parts again? it was fine the way it was in the first game. Whats up with them adding all these additional roadblocks for you to be having fun?

In the first game, the first trex was a big gate check. Took me an hour to figure out how to beat it, but when I did he was a great source of legendary coils that automatically upgraded my weapons. The game rewarded you for taking on stormbirds, thunderjaws, rockbreakers and behemoths by giving you up to three legendary coils. Here, you are lucky to get one and even that coil could be basically useless if you arent a stealth or melee build.

Scanning by holding down R3 mid battle makes no sense. I have no idea what they were thinking with this change especially since body damage is no longer a thing now. You HAVE to hit weakpoints or see 1-3 damage pop up on screen, but thats fine. It is a design choice, but then why did they remove the ability to highlight all the weakpoints by simply tapping R3?

EDIT: I looked at the wiki for Weapon acquisition details and only the Adept (NG+ weapons) and Ultra Hard Difficulty settings require hearts of hard to kill dinobots as well as massively increasing their shard cost. I brought up enemy aggression earlier, and it seems the game is basically balanced as an Ultra Hard on not just enemy aggressiveness but also ingame economy. The first legendary bow in the game is 1500 shards (3x more than it was in the first game) and requires parts of robots who havent been introduced in the story yet. This is why im not a fan of this whole choose your difficulty accessibility options in Sony games. Devs dont even bother to design games around normal difficulty anymore.

I won’t lie, I would much rather have just had *one* Hunter Bow that I coudl customize. Allow me to slowly unlock new arrow types. Allow me to strengthen the bow with better wires, switching out the upper and lower limbs. Improving the notch, etc. Do this with every type of weapon. Would have saved so much bloat and needless repetition. You can still hunt the various animals/machines for those upgrade parts, but you won’t feel like it was utterly wasted because you were upgrading some shitty green bow that would be tossed in a couple of hours.

I was very confused at first with the overdrive and extraneous unlocking. Once I learned of it though I just gather a bunch of parts from every monster I see and then I don’t have to worry about it anymore. Its stupid, pointless, but easily avoidable once you know about it.

As for difficulties, I just don’t see the problem. Maybe its because I am used to the jank AI and easily shallow systems that many Sony first party games tend to have these days, or maybe its because I have literally thousands of hours in souls games and MonHun, but nothing in this game is above moderately easy even on its most difficulty mode. You are given so many OP skills super early that trivializes all the encounters (at least up to the point where I am in the story, which is around 30 hours in).

Everything else though I do agree with you on. R3 is stupid. The systems bloat is stupid and wastes players time. Feels like they need to realize That less is more. Focus on a handful fo systems and make them integrate well with each other. Make them rewarding and add depth to them, instead of continuing to throw systems into a bloated, shallow pool.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Near the end of the campaign. Have done a lot of the side stuff but not everything. Pacing is still my biggest issue. It takes a really long time to really kick into high gear which is a shame. I think the story is really neat and compelling in a lot of ways but its like every time you get something new and compelling it slams the brakes for awhile.

The combat is still a lot of fun. Its the part that keeps me intrigued to keep playing. I think the camera work still needs improvement. But the weapons and such are still fun to use. I am a bit perplexed that I dont feel much of a difference, if one at all, in terms of dualsense features between weapons. I expected the precision bows to have a completely different feel on the triggers than the hunters and its the same as far as I can tell. Seems like a missed opportunity,

Presentation graphically is stunning. I am playing on the forbidden performance mode and I maintain its the way to play as the animations, especially on the robots, looks so much better at 60 FPS. Durning combat I cant tell the difference between resolutions between the two modes. General running around the world theres a difference but during the most hectic moments the responsiveness and animations are far superior at 60.

General glitches need to be tightened up. Getting stuck on objects is way too common in small areas.

I dont like the loot. Id rather a system that just lets me upgrade one type of each weapon. i find the loot to be very boring.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Many people think that standard settings are fucked, and you have channels on yt with different settings, hdr seeks to be kinda broken on this one.
Nah. It looks fine for me. Sometimes a game/movie has an artistic driven look for its use of HDR and people just complain.

My point isn't that you should only use default settings btw, its that they're good enough for most people by design.

Then just tweak em a bit for your TV.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Are the options for on-screen tutorials really Repeat Everything or Nothing At All? 20 hours in and I'm still getting prompts on how to use the pull-caster or how to jump from ledge to ledge. Maybe it is story based (I just got to DEATHS DOOR) but it's just wild that after multiple uses I'm still getting basic info-text (I turned it on because I didn't know how to use the 2nd Legendary Tool).

Dr. Claus

Banned
You crazy? Story has me by the balls.

The user is literally 2 hours in. Until you reach the point of
Meeting the 4 in HADES testing facility
the story is mindless, boring, and incredibly poorly paced. After that though? It gets damn good. At least good enough for me to keep playing and wanting to see the next story beat.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The user is literally 2 hours in. Until you reach the point of
Meeting the 4 in HADES testing facility
the story is mindless, boring, and incredibly poorly paced.

Different strokes for different folks, but the story is no worse than the first so far. The Regalla stuff was obviously misdirection, but even it isn't "bad" per se. Most of the story itself is elevated by MOST of the acting and cinematic work.

. . .and really, two hours is still in the god damn tutorial unless you're playing on STORY difficulty and just grinding ones way through the game.

Dr. Claus

Banned
Different strokes for different folks, but the story is no worse than the first so far. The Regalla stuff was obviously misdirection, but even it isn't "bad" per se. Most of the story itself is elevated by MOST of the acting and cinematic work.

. . .and really, two hours is still in the god damn tutorial unless you're playing on STORY difficulty and just grinding ones way through the game.

Like I said, I enjoy the story so far. Up until the point I mentioned, I would agree that the story is ”no worse than the first” - but that isn’t a good thing as I thought that the first game was utterly dreadful in narrative and characters. Could not stand a single one of them and found it all boring. The saving grace of the first was the cool design of the monsters and was the *only* reason I was able to continue to the end.

Now though? I am actually excited about what happens next. Aloy has actual personality (though is still incredibly weak overall, but improvements need to be stated given how dreadful she was in the first).

I do agree with the two hours tutorial comment. The game doesn’t really open up until you reach the Plainlands and even then it could be argued it doesn’t truly start until you reach past the mountains.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The first 2 hours are just
a story prelud to what happen next since the odissey stuff was just a couple of documents in the first game that many people didn't even read.

Without that,
the next big reveal would be less impactful because most people woulnd't have a clue.

Topher

Gold Member
How do you check your playtime on PlayStation? I feel like I've put at least 30 hours in it and it seems like I'm just getting started.

On the main screen, go to your profile icon on the top right. Click on it and select Profile. Then go over to Games. Find your game. Hours played will be on the right under trophy completion percentage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom