• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West |OT| Red Head Redemption - II -

evanft

I love how Guerilla spent so much time on making changes to how the focus worked only for EVERYONE to complain about how shit it is. They must have known, too, since there are options in the menu to essentially roll back all the changes.

Fess

Off topic but battery life on PS5 controllers is even worse than PS4. I have had to take a break for a half an hour while the controller charges multiple times. I am thinking about going down to Best Buy and getting a long cord so I can just power it through USB.
How long play sessions do you have? The way I’m playing I get about two days of battery life. Battery life still sucks of course but it’s not really a problem anymore, it just took some time to adjust since I play on Xbox too. As it is I plug it in for charging at night if I see two bars, that way I know battery won’t be a problem at the next play session. 👍

Last edited:
Yo there was some pretty jarring pop-in during that scene with the opening credits and music. Im playing on PS5 in resolution mode.
Did anyone else experience this? I watched most of the DF video and I don’t remember them mentioning it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
Yo there was some pretty jarring pop-in during that scene with the opening credits and music. Im playing on PS5 in resolution mode.
Did anyone else experience this? I watched most of the DF video and I don’t remember them mentioning it.
Yes, just started it today also on resolution mode and had pop-in during the opening credits after completing prologue.
Other than that I haven't had any other issues in my almost 4 hours of playtime.

I'm level 19 now.
Almost 30 hours in.
About 20% total completion.

Story just went W I L D lol I'm hooked. Shit's cool as fuck.

This game is dope. So much better than HZD its staggering.
I'm really enjoying it so far, does it keep getting better and better the more you play? I'm getting excited, lol

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So I disabled motion blur and turned down the camera sensitivity to minimum on both the horizon and vertical axis, and what a difference that makes. It feels almost as good as the 60 fps mode now. And the distracting brightness flickering issue Vincent mentioned is all but gone. The low camera sensitivity doesnt hinder combat either.

Banned
I just did a dungeon and turned off voices completely during it... what a difference that makes! holy shit!
it actually makes it feel like playing a videogame and not doing an interactive video guide

not hearing her stupid "I need to get to [insert place]", "maybe if I shoot [insert object]" and "maybe if I use [insert item]" every 2 seconds improves the game tenfold.

and that shit is only in the game because the devs clearly cater to the most casual of the casuals and you can't have them get stuck on a puzzle for 6 yo kids!

this game could really need an option to turn off her dumb voice outside of story relevant conversations... well I now do it manually, which is a bit annoying but not as annoying as her

Last edited:

shubik

The sidequests in this game are soooo good and tense! Had one yesterday where I had to go way up into the mountains and fight a gigantic polar bear machine at night during a snowstorm. The fight went on for at least 15 minutes and after I killed that thing it almost felt like a soulsbourne moment.

Just the sheer enemy variety makes this a standout experience. Every one of these incredible creatures has so much care and little details on them. The animation work, the sound design. What a game.

GymWolf

Gold Member
HDR settings are easy. Leave it at default and let the TV tone map it.

Or disable tone mapping and use trial and error.

The defaults are default for a reason. Its designed by the devs to look best for most players.
Many people think that standard settings are fucked, and you have channels on yt with different settings, hdr seeks to be kinda broken on this one.

Dr Bass

The reviews were right. The story really sucks, good Lord. I'm 2 hrs in and bored as hell narration wise, may be because I did not finish the first game.
Everything else is great.
This is like saying you’re reading a novel and by the first page you can tell the story sucks.

You are literally nowhere. And you didn’t finish the first game. Surely you can see how stupid of a complaint that is.

So on that topic, I just completed deaths door and yeah … wondering where this is going for sure.

Also the character animation seems to have gotten even better as the game goes on. It’s the best I’ve personally seen in a video game without question. Now I also don’t play everything, so are there games that look as good as this in terms of the realism of the animation? I don’t even know if it can be much improved upon its that good. Yes characters could be rendered more realistically, but in terms of the animation detail … very impressed.

The game is getting better and better as I go and feels better than the first for sure IMO. Truly incredible stuff at times.

cormack12

Gold Member
About to hop on again - I know opinions and all that, but I think this is such a step up from ZD in mechanics and story etc. The only things really bumming me out is arrows really seem to do no damage to the armour (even when you've overloaded them with elements). Like when they were overloaded in the first game, hardpoint arrows did amazing damage. Here, they go down easier but you don't really get the same amount of stack multiplier. I don't know if it's the same on easier difficulties?

Human combat is 100 times better. Also what is up with bow accuracy? Do they just decide to not work like a quarter of the time? They will fly off wildly off target despite being full draw etc.

The bugs/environment are really grating and I literally keep getting caught on shit I shouldn't be. Not too much of an issue in settlements but in the wild then you're fucking dead in seconds. Stuff like this:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Two noob questions.

How do you get new outfits to buy? I want to change her look.

2. How do you get fire bows? I want to set shit on fire.

cormack12

Gold Member
Two noob questions.

How do you get new outfits to buy? I want to change her look.

2. How do you get fire bows? I want to set shit on fire.

Merchants.

In Chainscrape, the hunter guy there sells a Fire Hunter Bow
The outfitter just next to him sells three outfits I think
Also visit the hunting grounds in The Daunt (you don't have to do any), as the guy will give you a shock bow for free when you talk to him

Then each settlement, find the same guys who will sell you different stuff (e.g. Plainsong merchant will sell you blue bows, and blue outfits)

Last edited:
You're looking for that butt shot aren't you? Hmph!
dFoKb7c.jpg
fBYd2Oh.jpg

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Those who are playing it...is it a fair assessment that it is visually beautiful but the gameplay is not much of a leap from the original?
It is exapanded... maybe even too much. It's the same principle exactly just more busy with more different resistances.
If you liked the original, this will be good

I love how Guerilla spent so much time on making changes to how the focus worked only for EVERYONE to complain about how shit it is. They must have known, too, since there are options in the menu to essentially roll back all the changes.
I haven't played much yet. What are the changes and what are people rolling back?

Is the resonator blast upgrade bugged or am I just retarded? I can’t figure how to use it. My spear doesn’t light up or do anything special when I attack with it? Does the skill only work with humans? I’ve been trying to get it to work against machines

Last edited:
30 hours in with 15 + of them afking or eating I'm guessing. You're really slow, even check psnprofiles and trophy sites... Game is short af unless you're fucking around.

It's called not speed running the game on story mode. You only need to complete 50% of the game to get the platinum.

Play the game yourself first then come back and complain about content

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I just did a dungeon and turned off voices completely during it... what a difference that makes! holy shit!
it actually makes it feel like playing a videogame and not doing an interactive video guide

not hearing her stupid "I need to get to [insert place]", "maybe if I shoot [insert object]" and "maybe if I use [insert item]" every 2 seconds improves the game tenfold.

and that shit is only in the game because the devs clearly cater to the most casual of the casuals and you can't have them get stuck on a puzzle for 6 yo kids!

this game could really need an option to turn off her dumb voice outside of story relevant conversations... well I now do it manually, which is a bit annoying but not as annoying as her
The hints actually confused me once. I was going to glide over to a platform and she said " I wonder how I will get there" and I stopped, thought for a second and then went back and glided to it.

I am having issues with the game. I sometimes get bizarre audio echoes. I have had the game drop into permanent 10 FPS mode requiring a restart and I get stuck climbing frequently for several seconds while I fight with the controls to get her to climb up. I also had my focus not pick up half of the rebels in a camp so it felt like they kept spawning from nowhere. I know I didn't miss them because this happened after I died the first time. I can't imagine how rough this game would have been if it released last year. Gonna fully reboot the PS5 before playing again.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I made a brief video with the share button to show how strong melee is even on very hard, how do i post it on the forum?!

Cyborg

Hi Guys,

I got a silly question. How do you craft different (elemental) types of ammo? I'm lvl 18 and still have only two types (regular/acid) of ammo for my bow. Am I missing something cause I see people running with fire/shock ammo early in the game?

Hi Guys,

I got a silly question. How do you craft different (elemental) types of ammo? I'm lvl 18 and still have only two types (regular/acid) of ammo for my bow. Am I missing something cause I see people running with fire/shock ammo early in the game?

You need to find bows with the ammo types. Higher rated bows will also have more arrow types available

The hunter store in chainscrape sells a fire bow. Look for the hunting ground in the first area as well as he'll give you a warrior bow with shock arrows

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Is the resonator blast upgrade bugged or am I just retarded? I can’t figure how to use it. My spear doesn’t light up or do anything special when I attack with it? Does the skill only work with humans? I’ve been trying to get it to work against machines
It does work on machines, but it is really slow to build up. I find getting a couple of stealth kills builds the multiplier. There might also be a valour that builds it faster.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
+ Loving the arenas
+ Side missions are much better compared to HZD
+ Changing the color of your costume is great.
+ Combat feels much better
+ Swimming underwater is just great.
+ The game looks great overall, but the environment in the jungle is amazing.
+ In HZD you can only mount one machine but in HFW you can mount more than 3.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Banned
30 hours in with 15 + of them afking or eating I'm guessing. You're really slow, even check psnprofiles and trophy sites... Game is short af unless you're fucking around.

You got a platinum trophy in 19 hours? That isn’t short. Short would be completing the game 100% in less than 8-12 hours. You got a Platinum Trophy which doesn’t even require 50% of the content completed. You literally only need to do a handful of side quests to completion, do a few side content like arenas to completion, and get one of each collectible and maybe 3 of another IIRC.

There is plenty to criticize about this game, but it being “short” is not one of them. If anything the game is too long and too bloated with far too many Ubisoft-isms and shallow gameplay systems.

GymWolf

Gold Member
+ Loving the arenas
+ Side missions are much better compared to HZD
+ Changing the color of your costume is great.
+ Combat feels much better
+ Swimming underwater is just great.
+ The game looks great overall, but the environment in the jungle is amazing.
+ In HZD you can only mount one machine but in HFW you can mount more than 3.
Uh?

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
It is exapanded... maybe even too much. It's the same principle exactly just more busy with more different resistances.
If you liked the original, this will be good
I agree. I'm still early on in the game and I'd say, for me, there's a lot of combat options to keep track of. As long as it is more ways to get a job done and not a requirement to learn and master all of it, then it's always welcome to have more. At first, I didn't understand that I had to choose/toggle options between something like arrow volley and triple nock. Takes some getting used to.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I made a brief video with the share button to show how strong melee is even on very hard, how do i post it on the forum?!
Upload it on YouTube and copy paste the link here. It will automatically embed.

You need to link out YouTube channel to it Ps5

SCB3

I think I may be locked out of the rest of the game:

I literally cannot get past this fucking open door

Top Bottom