• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West |OT| Red Head Redemption - II -

I’m playing on hard and find the game kind of easy. Not to the point where i don’t enjoy it, its probably perfect for an open world game. Enough to keep me on my toes but never feeling really overwhelmed. I got to a sneak part that was kicking my ass for a long time and that still occasionally still happens when something will just kick my ass out of the blue. Like, any kind of stalker fight. Also the frostclaw and fireclaws are no joke. A lot of the bigger machines will have you use every piece of ammo and trap in your inventory and running around looking for plants to eat.

This is def becoming one of my favorite games, ever. It’s replacing witcher 3 for me for open world games

Taken right after stealing all of thirsty Lel's money
OCLb7LP.jpg

Dr Bass

Just got to plainsong. The creative vision in this game is off the charts IMO. I’ve never seen anything like it and I think this game is several steps above part 1 for me. I started out pretty harsh on this one and said 89 was too high but … I’m going back on that. What I see in this game is why I still play. Atmosphere. Gameplay. Music. Design. Vision. Fun. It’s all there. Clearly a contender for GOTY. I mean holy cow.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
My thoughts now that I am a little past a third through the story:

(-) I've spent a great deal of time exploring looking for new stuff, and I agree with others that the entire inventory and weapon systems, including how the game and flow of progression is designed in regards to them, is a few steps back from the original and much worse for it. Too much gear is gated behind story advancement or the side activities like hunting grounds that I have no interest in

I never discover anything good, just different. I am constantly having to hunt and peck for machine and animal parts. I have to juggle too many weapons and components in my inventory. The first game felt more rewarding of a player's time. Gear could be found and bought that was powerful and helpful across builds.

(+) The story is great, the acting is great, the side quests are meaty and interesting. Of anyone criticizing the story, I have to wonder just how much sci-fi and genre fiction in general they digest (like, it makes me wonder if they've even read a book of their own volition, and not only ones that they were forced to read in school) , because as someone who reads around 30 books a year of all kinds, and watches even more movies, there are far, faaaaar worse stories being told out there right now that millions of people enjoy. This has a great story, even early on.

(+/-) Combat is a mixed bag for me. I feel like it's not as fun as the original, but still good in its own right. Lots of little jank in fights that were muted in the first game but become more obvious issues given the enemies' increased aggression and tendency to rapidly repeat attacks. Too many enemies have some kind of stun. Too many enemies see right through special stealth abilities / devices. On the other hand I feel more rewarded for taking a varied approach to combat, and if one can master the fast and trickier shots on enemies it make you feel really good to blow through three or four machines that gave you trouble early on, but now you're a proper hunter and know how to deal with them.

(+/-) Graphics - absolutely stellar in cut scenes, and on resolution mode, overall perhaps the best I've ever seen. The weird HDR issues were a bummer though (nothing like troubleshooting basic device interfacing issues on a console before even getting to enjoy a new game!), and performance mode looks like it sacrifices way too much just to hit 60 fps.

(+) Overall gameplay is fine. Yes there's some jank in there, but it's nothing overwhelming. The UI works great on the explorer mode or what not. Aloy's guided dialog and queues within the world are welcome in my opinion, keep things moving along when the player themselves can't immediately see everything in their environment like an actual person being there would. The addition of gliding, flying, and more climbable surfaces all make the open world feel more real and engaging, more traversable.

It feels like a solid 4/5 so far, that could easily be a 5/5 if Guerilla were to patch in an optional inventory system that is like that of the first game, tuned enemies better, fixed some broken skills, and hid good gear throughout the world (and also offered it for sale by some vendors). Right now it feels like they tried to fix some things that weren't broken, and ended up just making them worse.

Last edited:

T0minator

About 30hrs in... 25% complete... As soon as the world opened up I overrode a machine and road west to see a glimpse of areas by climbing up the highest mountain. I was instantly blown away.

30hrs in... Still being blown away by this game. It's absolutely amazing.

If another game tops this as my GOTY I would be pleasantly surprised. God of War Ragnarok ... Starfield? If they do it or they don't Horizon Forbidden West is still an adventure of a life time and I'm enjoying every minute 9.5/10 for me

Last edited:

TrebleShot

I could be wrong but looks like the sharpening is much less in fidelity and I think 60fps mode dithering is fixed? I am in a snowy area so could just be that.

J3nga

I could be wrong but looks like the sharpening is much less in fidelity and I think 60fps mode dithering is fixed? I am in a snowy area so could just be that.
I feel like sharpening has been toned down in resolution mode, however performance mode still looks like poop, shimmering all over the place and especially shimmering. Fixing their AA I don't think is something that'll take short time unfortunately.

cormack12

Gold Member
Just did the cauldron with the widemaws. The animations really fuck you up when planting traps etc. And it sweeps round before giving you control back. Not a fan.

Outlier

My experience, so far (PS5):

Pros:
Feels like Horizon, but more (as it should be).
Aloy is going through some character development.
The world feels more alive and lived in.
Gameplay is deeper and has more engagement.
The adjustable difficulty options can make certain aspects easy to deal with.
The amount of options are great.
Graphics (when stable) are fantastic, of course.

Cons:
Aloy repeats herself, too frequently.
Enemies move so erratically, making it difficult to get good aim on them with standard weapons.
Some large enemies turn on a dime, making combat less tolerable (ex: Widemaw).
Arrows with often time pass through enemies, when the hitboxes should have connected.
30FPS mode feels like a slideshow, repulsing me from using it.
60FPS mode suffers drastic resolution drops, when too much is happening on screen.
Game engine stability seems to need fixing as at certain points the games FPS tanks into the teens (regardless of mode) and requires a game reset.

I'm enjoying the game over all, but the cons cause constant breaks from immersion that drag down the experience.

Addendum: This is clearly a PS4 game that seems to have had some development issues on PS5.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
I hope people now dont fall for initial gameplay showings of sony games.

While the end results still look best in class, its still pretty dishonest to have there initial gameplay showings significantly different.

I understand why sony and devs do this, its great marketing and blind fans will gush over them no matter how many times they do it.

Its comendable that other devs show more representative gameplay or in some cases things are actually upgraded.
That fuck you talking about?
The final version is upgraded.
Or you forget your "aloy don't interact with vegetation " or " the world looks do static the trees don't move" concern trolling.
What are you even doing here?

gow3isben

So What is the verdict on Machine Strike? As good a minigame as Gwent or Cabaret (Yakuza)?

Haven't dived into it yet but will if get good recommendations.

Also the story and characters so far are so much better than the first game.

Aloy also finally has a personality. Instead of a damn expressionless robot she is now a complete bitch with a God complex who I hate. I like a lot of the other characters though. And holy smokes is the facial expression the best by far in an open world. RDR 2 was great too for most of the key characters but man every single random no-name NPC is incredibly expressive here.

Far better than the first game overall. Love the incremental improvements in gameplay variety as well. And man are sidequests great. Witcher 3 and RDR2 level. But we will see how good it gets by the end. Just at Plainsong now.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
I hope people now dont fall for initial gameplay showings of sony games.

While the end results still look best in class, its still pretty dishonest to have there initial gameplay showings significantly different.

I understand why sony and devs do this, its great marketing and blind fans will gush over them no matter how many times they do it.

Its comendable that other devs show more representative gameplay or in some cases things are actually upgraded.

The video contradicts your statement ergo this is a seriously cheap trolling attempt.....like pretty much everything you post concerning Horizon...

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The video contradicts your statement ergo this is a seriously cheap trolling attempt.....like pretty much everything you post concerning Horizon...

No it does not.
I dont know why you think its ok to blatantly lie.
And then you accuse me of trolling just because I dont say only praise about the game.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Game is very pretty 🤩, but 4K is giving headaches idk why

Yeah there is something weird going on. Whenever I move the camera, its as if my eyes cant focus. I am playing on a C9 OLED in game mode. This has never been an issue in any other game.
Its fine when the game is static, but as soon as I move the camera, it fucks with my vision.

Haggard

Banned
No it does not.
I dont know why you think its ok to blatantly lie.
And then you accuse me of trolling just because I dont say only praise about the game.
Has anyone ever bought your cheap act? It`s pathetic....
Ah, why am I interacting with someone who`s even been marked as a troll by the mods already. Straight to ignore...

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Yeah there is something weird going on. Whenever I move the camera, its as if my eyes cant focus. I am playing on a C9 OLED in game mode. This has never been an issue in any other game.
Its fine when the game is static, but as soon as I move the camera, it fucks with my vision.

Try disabling deep color HDMI mode, or however it is phrased in your TV menu, for the port your PS5 is connected to then restarting the TV. Repeat the process to re-enable it. Then restart the PS5, and disable/enable HDR within the game settings. Worked for my severe HDR issues and LG TV.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Try disabling deep color HDMI mode, or however it is phrased in your TV menu, for the port your PS5 is connected to then restarting the TV. Repeat the process to re-enable it. Then restart the PS5, and disable/enable HDR within the game settings. Worked for my severe HDR issues and LG TV.

Thank you. Let me try that. It is indeed called HDMI ultra HD deep color.
Will report back.

Cyborg

Question; I see people use melee attacks to create those blue rings on enemies. Is that a skill that you need to unlock?
My spear glows I tap R2 but nothing happens.

Question; I see people use melee attacks to create those blue rings on enemies. Is that a skill that you need to unlock?
Yes it is the meele skill resonator blast. The first one in the warrior skilltree. (the first one from the left)
Little did I know I could use skillpoint for all trees at start.
Kinda put my first 8 or 9 Skillpoints in the hunter tree before I realized I could pick skills from all trees.

You can learn how to use skills in the meele pits once you have them unlocked/learned. :)

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
It is the first skill you unlock in the melee tree, and then you upgrade the damage, duration, how fast the spear charge etc.

It is pretty strong when upgraded.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
well i just finished the game in 22 hours. Story had some cool ideas. GFX are insane,
the side quests are horrible

Last edited:
well i just finished the game in 22 hours. Story had some cool ideas. GFX are insane,
Interesting, there have been people praising HFW sidequests as beeing better then Witcher 3 ones.
I've enjoyed the few I've been able to do yet, but I just reached the Forbidden West so I've just started lol.

To bad I just don't have the time to play yet. And Elden Ring is releasing on friday already.

saintjules

Gold Member

Interesting, there have been people praising HFW sidequests as beeing better then Witcher 3 ones.
I've enjoyed the few I've been able to do yet, but I just reached the Forbidden West so I've just started lol.

To bad I just don't have the time to play yet. And Elden Ring is releasing on friday already.

The sidequests are actually a lot better than other fetch quests you'd normally find in a game like AC for example. I'm happy with them.

Looks like I'll be savoring my time with this game. No way I'd want to finish it that quick.

small_law

Just getting to Plainsong. I probably did too much side stuff for where I'm at in terms of progression, but I couldn't help myself. Any game that dangles this much exploration and loot in front of my face gets the fine comb treatment.

I think most criticisms are fair actually. The 60 FPS mode has faults. I'm sorry, but 30 FPS isn't a thing I'm willing to do with a new tent pole game anymore. It isn't unplayable, but when in motion, the game's image quality in terms of sharpness and color just isn't where it should be. I'm on 4K monitors and it's hard as hell to make out loot icons or machine parts at reasonable distances. It's not a blurry mess per se, but it's closer to being a blurry mess than I ever expected.

The inventory system is still annoying. Having stuff go to your stash is an improvement, but now figuring out how much of your overstock inventory you can sell safely is a pain.

I could make political criticisms, but those would go over like a wet fart with probably everyone. I'm leaving it alone.

Even so, it's an absolute must-play game. Guerilla figured out what the best parts of this game needed to be from what the best parts of the first game were. At the risk of being reductive, they combined Monster Hunter and Tomb Raider and married it to a compelling sci-fi story set in a well-paced open world. Guerilla miraculously didn't make the mistake of confusing world building for narrative either.

Top Bottom