• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West |OT| Red Head Redemption - II -

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
I started out pretty harsh on this one and said 89 was too high but … I’m going back on that.
Me as well. The more I play the more I see the faults but also the more I see just how well it's done that I don't care about the faults as much.

I've hit over 50 percent completion, not sure how many hours but it's going to be slower now that I'm back to the daily work grind. Wont have as much time to play like the past 4 days solid. I've stayed away from the main story quests and have been enjoying the sides.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
That fuck you talking about?
The final version is upgraded.
Or you forget your "aloy don't interact with vegetation " or " the world looks do static the trees don't move" concern trolling.
What are you even doing here?

Please don’t label me as a concern troll. I was one of the first to raise the immovable vegetation because it felt incongruous with such visual fidelity otherwise, and I stand by what I said.

We’re now at post release and that got fixed and I’m a happy camper.

SLB1904

Banned
Please don’t label me as a concern troll. I was one of the first to raise the immovable vegetation because it felt incongruous with such visual fidelity otherwise, and I stand by what I said.

We’re now at post release and that got fixed and I’m a happy camper.
not you mate.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yeah....no. Also 22 hours. Seems like you rushed through the whole thing
yes i rushed that tends to happen when side quest are boring.
also elden ring is out soon. None of the so called rpg systems mattered. it's all clutter. I really don't get how people don't poke through this.

Banned
also elden ring is out soon. None of the so called rpg systems mattered. it's all clutter. I really don't get how people don't poke through this.

yeah, I'm in the same boat right now. I too stopped doing side stuff because I wanna get done before Elden Ring drops.

the RPG systems and sidequests also really started to bore me.

OsirisBlack

Banned
I’ve been playing since it dropped and I’m still in chainscrape doing every single side quest and taking it all in. The side quests are actually pretty amazing If you take on the story and don’t just skip everything turning them into meaningless fetch quests. You’d be surprised the story bits you can pick up and the history the npcs tell you through doing side quests. Also off subject the music in this game is absolutely phenomenal.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I’ve been playing since it dropped and I’m still in chainscrape doing every single side quest and taking it all in. The side quests are actually pretty amazing If you take on the story and don’t just skip everything turning them into meaningless fetch quests. You’d be surprised the story bits you can pick up and the history the npcs tell you through doing side quests. Also off subject the music in this game is absolutely phenomenal.
I swear i did 100% (what i could do obv) in the first area. It was pretty bad imo. I guess each on their own but it felt like pointless boyscout shit. So after that i just went straight for the story content

T-Cake

So What is the verdict on Machine Strike? As good a minigame as Gwent or Cabaret (Yakuza)?

I've done the tutorial and it does seem something I'd enjoy but not until after I've finished the main game at least. It's bad enough getting sidetracked with so many side quests, errands and collectibles without spending hours on this. :)

cormack12

Gold Member
After getting a level 27 shellsnapper thrown at me yday, I had a level 30 thunderjaw thrown at me for a level 15 quest. Sucks man. Yeah I get they laid up traps and left a ravager gun (which should have been easier to find/marked) but the AI help sucks and if you don't play the encounter the way they designed it, it takes fookin ages.

cormack12

Gold Member
Does anyone actually use Resonator Blast? I've had it unlocked forever but have never actually used it.

I would if it charged reliably. Usually I get a blast when I get a couple stealth kills then tag it on the boss or a machine, but if shit kicks off, feels like I can whack them for ages with no glow.

Ulysses 31

dude, all that shit is fake AF, it's more nauseating to me than 30fps. Like Vincent from HDTVtest said, it should be illegal.
Better stop watching 24fps content on sample and hold displays then since it's unavoidable there's some motion interpolation going on.

J3nga

Better stop watching 24fps content on sample and hold displays then since it's unavoidable there's some motion interpolation going on.
Batman Facepalm GIF by WE tv

Comparing gaming and watching some content is just wrong on so many levels I don't know if it's worth explaining to you.

Dr Bass

I hope people now dont fall for initial gameplay showings of sony games.

While the end results still look best in class, its still pretty dishonest to have there initial gameplay showings significantly different.

I understand why sony and devs do this, its great marketing and blind fans will gush over them no matter how many times they do it.

Its comendable that other devs show more representative gameplay or in some cases things are actually upgraded.
Did you even watch the video that you're using to claim "dishonesty"?

Does anyone else find it ironic that you're doing so and not exactly being truthful about what the video shows and says?

First off, nothing there is "signficantly different" and second, they added a bit of cutscenes in the state of play to make it feel more encapsulated as you know ... a demo. The situation that happens in the demo doesn't actually fit within the final retail game, but they wanted the small demo to tell a story as well, vs just having a player jumping around without context. Do you not understand that?

Yeah there are lighting differences, and some layout differences, but that's all they are. Differences. Not downgrades. And the retail actually looks better to me, far more realistic and much sharper (though that could be a result of YouTube compression on the state of play). As the video maker showed you can pretty much duplicate the look and path of the demo if you want to by changing the time of day, though some colors were changed etc.

When speaking of being "dishonest" I suggest you examine your own posts first. Sony's reveal of this game ended up being not only accurate to the final release, but not as good. And you're sitting here people shouldn't "fall for it." The only thing they shouldn't be falling for is the content of your posts.

Ulysses 31

Batman Facepalm GIF by WE tv

Comparing gaming and watching some content is just wrong on so many levels I don't know if it's worth explaining to you.
It's good enough to eliminate most(if not all) of the stutter and I the response time doesn't take too much of a hit, I don't see the problem in using it.

Yeah there is something weird going on. Whenever I move the camera, its as if my eyes cant focus. I am playing on a C9 OLED in game mode. This has never been an issue in any other game.
Its fine when the game is static, but as soon as I move the camera, it fucks with my vision.
Same tv! Oled c9 LG

Dr Bass

Is there a place to hear the soundtrack? I mentioned I got it via the digital deluxe but you can only play it is on the PS5 itself, which I am not going to do. Don't see it on Spotify or Apple Music. Sooooo any luck anywhere else?

Crimsonhead

Neo Member
Is there a place to hear the soundtrack? I mentioned I got it via the digital deluxe but you can only play it is on the PS5 itself, which I am not going to do. Don't see it on Spotify or Apple Music. Sooooo any luck anywhere else?
dunno how they dont let us download the ost like Last of us 2… forcing us to buy it😥

cormack12

Gold Member
How have people completed this in 20 hours? I'm up to 28 and haven't even done AETHER yet. I've done the ruins and two cauldrons I've found and some of the side stuff and had a few skirmishes when I've found a new monster.

Also I didn't realise you could upgrade valors. Was wondering why the three circles didn't fill in

Last edited:
How have people completed this in 20 hours? I'm up to 28 and haven't even done AETHER yet. I've done the ruins and two cauldrons I've found and some of the side stuff and had a few skirmishes when I've found a new monster.

Also I didn't realise you could upgrade valors. Was wondering why the three circles didn't fill in
Beat it in 25. Had to get it done before tomorrow. (Elden Ring)

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
My guess would be story difficulty with a focus on the main story line while avoiding optional dialog.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

The single player campaign of Horizon can be completed in around 5-6 hours if you only do the story missions.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Also off subject the music in this game is absolutely phenomenal.
This, the audio and music is fantastic in this game.
And the surround is extremely good.
I not usually impressed by game surround sound as it never touches movies.
But they nailed the position and distance of everything.
First time I've heard a barrel roll towards the middle of the screen and it actually sounded real.
And that Pulse Blast 😳
I'm sure my neighbor's are wondering what the fuck that is 😂

Atrus

Gold Member
I’m about 41% through the game at level 35 on Very Hard which is the same sort of difficulty as the first but with much harder enemy types.

Despite some flaws and lack of polish keeping it from perfection, it’s an excellent sequel that ends up slightly better than HZD though it is held back by the PS4 which limits the design in more ways than one.

The music is on point and the situational implementation stands out very well whether you’re riding, fighting, delving or exploring the over world. I find the voice acting to be phenomenal with a particular standout to the actors of Zo and Kotallo who give real depth to their characters but even the minor side quest ones are well acted, giving each character a unique identity. The game could do with a limit to the number of times Aloy mentions she sends something to her stash (like once every load up or a timer of 20 minutes) and maybe an extra minute before an audio cue hint to puzzles.

The graphics are amazing but from how quickly they’ve implemented a patch, the game could have used a month of polishing to get rid of minor but noticeable issues that mar the jaw dropping visuals. As with the first game, I can’t stop taking screenshots of the visuals and small details.

Gameplay-wise it’s an evolution from the previous game though they did consciously try to create a game that focusses on challenging people that mastered the mechanics of the previous one. Virtually everything the player abused to their advantage got nerfed so as to offer more challenge and variety in play styles, however the result is over-engineered since the progression is heavily walled by the loot system to just access different weapon and ammunition types.

Due to this it’s hard to tell if all weapons are equally valuable to use.

I don’t see an issue with the climbing other than they should widen the visual gap between what cliff faces can and can’t be climbable. I don’t use the focus for the most part and can go by visual cues but there’s also plenty of areas where I’m somewhat confused as to where to start without using the focus.

The game is a direct successor to the previous game and is actually a lot more challenging, so it’s no wonder they ended up handing out free downloads last year. The more recent and familiar someone is to HZD and Frozen Wilds story and gameplay the better their overall experience.

I love all of the new enemies and the difficulty they introduce. It also looks like there are also random over-world spawns that add variety and challenge to encounters.

Quests are plentiful, unique and well-acted with characters possessing unique identities that flesh out the world and lore. I really can’t get enough of the world Guerrilla created and am already looking forward to a sequel on more capable hardware.

Definitely a must buy for fans of the original, and for those new to the series it’s recommended to play the previous before this one because I can’t imagine the story beats would land well. Experiences are much better having played through them than reading in game bios or an online wiki.

Last edited:
Did you even watch the video that you're using to claim "dishonesty"?

Does anyone else find it ironic that you're doing so and not exactly being truthful about what the video shows and says?

First off, nothing there is "signficantly different" and second, they added a bit of cutscenes in the state of play to make it feel more encapsulated as you know ... a demo. The situation that happens in the demo doesn't actually fit within the final retail game, but they wanted the small demo to tell a story as well, vs just having a player jumping around without context. Do you not understand that?

Yeah there are lighting differences, and some layout differences, but that's all they are. Differences. Not downgrades. And the retail actually looks better to me, far more realistic and much sharper (though that could be a result of YouTube compression on the state of play). As the video maker showed you can pretty much duplicate the look and path of the demo if you want to by changing the time of day, though some colors were changed etc.

When speaking of being "dishonest" I suggest you examine your own posts first. Sony's reveal of this game ended up being not only accurate to the final release, but not as good. And you're sitting here people shouldn't "fall for it." The only thing they shouldn't be falling for is the content of your posts.
Don't bother he has been removed from the thread.

Top Bottom