• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West |OT| Red Head Redemption - II -

GymWolf

Gold Member
I didn't even bothered with upgrading green or blue stuff, but i'm gonna start when i can find some purple stuff.

Too bad you can't put coils on the spear anymore like in the dlc.

Mossybrew

These snowy mountain tribe dudes are not wearing appropriate clothes, they'd be freezing their asses off. Kind of a weird design decision, these people should be in furs and stuff.

Bragr

Banned
Some thoughts.

Its a lot bigger than I anticipated, the amount of side stuff is a lot more comprehensive than the first game.

The cauldrons look wild, it feels like its inspired by Killzones style and look.

The sailcloth thing is so helpful to get down from the mountains.

Aloy is still a mediocre character, she looks and comes off as a chubby librarian, and I dont really care for her as much as I should considering how much time I spent with her.

The combat still has the strenghts and weaknesses of its previous version, its still gets too confusing when you fight too many enemies, and Aloy is too slow to stand up when she gets knocked down. The item list is too large to map to only the down d-pad.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

he has a point
i am a bit tired of open world games :messenger_beaming:

Wouldve made more sense if he had picked a shitty open world game like any of the Ubisoft Far Cry, AC or Watch Dogs games or all the other open world trash that came out last year.

This is just him being a contrarian shitting on a good game, arguably the best reviewed open world game of the lot, to get views.

Woggleman

I am not trying to knock anybody's opinions but if people don't like open world games why play one that was clearly advertised as one. It's like playing Halo or COD then dumping all over it because I don't like first person shooters. The game is clear about what it is before anybody buys it. It's like hating pizza then ordering one and getting mad that it's a pizza. Plenty of people like these kinds of games so let them and move on to something else.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I don't know what I am doing wrong, but I am getting super frustrated with the amount of damage I'm taking - currently level 14 and the scrappers from the salvage quest one hit me ?? no matter where I go all I find are machines that run at me like bulls that one shot me. It's totally killing my vibe.

cormack12

Gold Member
I don't know what I am doing wrong, but I am getting super frustrated with the amount of damage I'm taking - currently level 14 and the scrappers from the salvage quest one hit me ?? no matter where I go all I find are machines that run at me like bulls that one shot me. It's totally killing my vibe.
Yeah they hit hard - pretty much all the machines. What difficulty you on? Knock it down to normal if you are on hard until you get more used to it.

In the trapper tree the first valor builds up elemental damage quicker so consider that. Have you been the hunting grounds? If you just visit they give you a shock bow which scrappers are weak too - couple that with above and you should overload them pretty quickly. When you hit them with shock you'll see the little circle filling up above their head, when its full they take extra damage from your normal arrows and hit the deck for a critical spear strike.

You can also just shoot off their plasma coil using slow-mo to castrate them a bit.

Stealth is also an option to thin the herd first. If you are aggroing like 3/4 machines then you really need to rethink your strategy, unless you are levelled or decent enough to juggle them.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Yeah they hit hard - pretty much all the machines. What difficulty you on? Knock it down to normal if you are on hard until you get more used to it.

In the trapper tree the first valor builds up elemental damage quicker so consider that. Have you been the hunting grounds? If you just visit they give you a shock bow which scrappers are weak too - couple that with above and you should overload them pretty quickly. When you hit them with shock you'll see the little circle filling up above their head, when its full they take extra damage from your normal arrows and hit the deck for a critical spear strike.

You can also just shoot off their plasma coil using slow-mo to castrate them a bit.

Stealth is also an option to thin the herd first. If you are aggroing like 3/4 machines then you really need to rethink your strategy, unless you are levelled or decent enough to juggle them.

Yeah I'm on hard... I mean I can knock it to normal but man I am getting really tired of all machines doing the same thing over and over.

Gordon Freeman

Gold Member
0-AF8-DE05-5-DB6-45-CB-B94-D-89-D2-DA402-E45.jpg

138-C9996-98-E4-460-D-989-A-9-ADBCB6494-DE.jpg

44-BB15-BB-E9-D6-4-A91-9054-8-F5129-E38-A14.jpg

DEFD3960-EF35-476-A-93-E1-1-F1-A3-FF344-EB.jpg

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
Did the ruins of Las Vegas tonight. I did not know I was going to be fighting the.

The Loch Ness Monster.
Wow. That was quite the delve. Poseidon lived up to the name. I'll need to go back and look around more later to see what all I missed. Just need Demeter next way out in the map of foggy clouds.

Mossybrew

There are too many things mapped to down dpad, you should be able to cycle through while slow paused like the weapon wheel.

Also second time now Ive been hit by the bug that turns the game into a slideshow and requires a restart.

xion4360

This game needs serious patching. Im getting an endless black screen at all of the Pit Trainers now after the last patch, and at the coliseum I cant get into the Rematch, blocking progress from there.

Not to mention tons of items in inaccessible spots. Hopefully the next patch fixes this, in the meantime I can focus on other quests.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Help gaf.
I am going for a stealth+archery build and apart from some skills in the infiltrator tree, there is nothing useful? Like I have almost maxed out my stealth from infiltrator, and all other skills I see are a few that improve concentration. What about those which increase efficacy/impact of bows etc?

How do I go about building a great archer build?

anothertech

Help gaf.
I am going for a stealth+archery build and apart from some skills in the infiltrator tree, there is nothing useful? Like I have almost maxed out my stealth from infiltrator, and all other skills I see are a few that improve concentration. What about those which increase efficacy/impact of bows etc?

How do I go about building a great archer build?
Hunter tree.

Also, max out sharpshot bow stamina. once you learn how to use blast shot from infiltrator tree, you don't need anything else.

This game keeps blowing my fucking mind btw. Half way through I was like OH SHIT. Then again at two thirds. And then towards the end I'm like WHAAAAAAAA.

Haven't felt like that in a long time. Work of art, this game.

Welp, I did some thinking, because I've been pretty interested in this and Elden Ring. However, only got a PS4 atm and from what I've seen Horizon seems to run better on that than Elden Ring by a fair margin.

So I think for right now I'll pick up HFW and play that, and pick up Elden Ring a little later. Both games look really good but Horizon probably fits my current schedule better. Plus in the case I pick up a PS5 this year (if they're regularly available like any normal system should be) it seems from the looks of it Elden Ring would benefit more from the extra headroom and a future patch.

Hope HFW doesn't require having played the first game through to follow the story; not that it'd be too big a deal, but still.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
No to shit on Halo Infinite because it's one of favourite games of last year but my complain about Zeta Halo only being one BIOME is far more justifiable after playing Horizon.

It's amazing what they achieved here with BIOME diversity. Absolutely beautiful.

Bragr

Banned
Yeah I'm on hard... I mean I can knock it to normal but man I am getting really tired of all machines doing the same thing over and over.
Some games fucks themselves when you ramp of the difficulty, and this is one of them. Horizon is not a good game on hard, the combat system doesn't suit it unless you play stealth/range, which people rarely do.

Some games fucks themselves when you ramp of the difficulty, and this is one of them. Horizon is not a good game on hard, the combat system doesn't suit it unless you play stealth/range, which people rarely do.

Highly disagree. Hard feels like it should be the standard difficulty. I felt way too powerful by the final 3rd of the game

GymWolf

Gold Member
Nah, playing at very hard and enjoying every second of it.

cormack12

Gold Member
I think the issue is the balance, they upped the machine aggressiveness and give them more health. When you couple this with Aloy being easy to stunlock and most of the really useful stuff being a reasonable amount of points in skills (elemental valor, fast plant traps, triple notch), it's a frustrating start unless you are really familiar with the combat. Then you get the missions that cheaply throw a machine in that's also ten levels above you because you have an 'AI' with you (that does fuck all except chuck arrows) it does lead to some frustrating battles close to one another.

That's why it's labelled 'hard' I guess, but I do feel it could be better balanced as normal is pretty difficult to find a challenge at all beyond level 10 or so. You can just sort of accept the difficulty as it is, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be tuned for a better overall experience. I think you can also find options that change how much damage you do, and the machines do as well? I haven't looked for them but I recall people in thread saying they existed somewhere as sliders?

isoRhythm

Banned
Highly disagree. Hard feels like it should be the standard difficulty. I felt way too powerful by the final 3rd of the game
Nah, playing at very hard and enjoying every second of it.
Once you utilize the elementals, it becomes a cakewalk. I don't even have the elemental skill tree buffs. Also, that boomerang weapon is cool as hell, reminds me of the leviathan axe from GoW.

Toots

Gold Member
Fucking hippos, man. They're every bit the assholes real hippos are.
Poop Hippo GIF
I had to get one of those fuckers tusk for a bow upgrade, little did i know that they'd pull them back inside their mouth at the first sign of danger :messenger_grinning_sweat: those cheeky cunts...
About the difficulty, i'm playing normal (i'm old) and it is quite easy, except i sometimes get one shot by some dinos. Maybe it's more two shot or me forgetting to heal during combat, but the idea is you still can get quickly killed if you don't pay attention.

Bragr

Banned
The combat varies too much, there is a massive difference between fighting 2 enemies and fighting 6, it's not suited for it, the difficulties are generally a mess on normal and hard both.

Top Bottom