• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West |OT| Red Head Redemption - II -

Man what a view 😏
mA1Rh7f.jpg
RoAqElG.jpg
DhegvwT.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's VRS.
Is the vrs in the 30 fps mode?

I swear something is making the foliage look awful at times now. It looked crisp and beautiful before the last patch. I could make out every single piece of grass, but it looks super smudgy.

Three

Is the vrs in the 30 fps mode?

I swear something is making the foliage look awful at times now. It looked crisp and beautiful before the last patch. I could make out every single piece of grass, but it looks super smudgy.
I assume it is but it would be less aggressive in 30fps mode vs 60fps.

Toots

Gold Member
Does anyone know how to dismiss your mount ? Is it even possible ? Im sick of spending shards to repair my charger who keeps following me into fights 😅

SlimySnake

Does anyone know how to dismiss your mount ? Is it even possible ? Im sick of spending shards to repair my charger who keeps following me into fights 😅
I cant even have my overridden enemies fight for me. They sit in a passive state for some reason.

Also, why do i have to override a mount. Why cant I just call one? I have invested fully into that skill tree and i cant find an option to just call a mount anywhere.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

I really like that boomerang disc throwable, such a creative and cool weapon (especially against humans).

One of my biggest gripes with the combat is that the focus takes WAY TOO LONG to scan the enemy and identify elemental weaknesses and detachable weapons. Especially annoying in quests where you have very little time between the robo appearing and attacking you.
Yeah. I feel like the first one didn’t have this issue? I can’t recall cuz it was so long ago. But why am I having to scan enemies mid fight to see the weakness

Markio128

Gold Member
It’s so refreshing to read comments talking about the game. I’m currently level 28 and trying to level up by completing some side quests. Just about squeaked through a level 16 quest where I had to kill a rock buster - man, that was the most difficult fight for me so far! It didn’t help that I had barely any health potions for the fight. Aloy said ‘phew’ when the fight ended, which is exactly what I was thinking 😂

cormack12

Gold Member
It’s so refreshing to read comments talking about the game. I’m currently level 28 and trying to level up by completing some side quests. Just about squeaked through a level 16 quest where I had to kill a rock buster - man, that was the most difficult fight for me so far! It didn’t help that I had barely any health potions for the fight. Aloy said ‘phew’ when the fight ended, which is exactly what I was thinking 😂
They are by far the toughest enemies. Even the new enemy when finding beta wasn't that tough (or the thunderjaw). I think that's wrong personally. Sure they can be big and tanky but they are too agressive and mobile imo. And I swear I hit all four paws and only two broke off.

Markio128

Gold Member
They are by far the toughest enemies. Even the new enemy when finding beta wasn't that tough (or the thunderjaw). I think that's wrong personally. Sure they can be big and tanky but they are too agressive and mobile imo. And I swear I hit all four paws and only two broke off.
Yeah, the other larger enemies you can keep at arms length and pick them off, but this bast just disappears and reappears right next to you. Glad it wasn’t just me.

Encountered my first "ice skating" bug where I just glided across the map and couldn't do anything and now the game crashed to PS5 dash.

evanft

30 hours in. This game picks the FUCK UP as more weapons/abilities open up to you.

Side quests are also the best I've probably seen in a game. Just going around the world and stumbling upon things is so god damn satisfying.

Kagero

Rolling the credits now 🤟 Wow! That was an intense final hour. Sort of raced through the game though. Completed on level 38. The two things I hated the most are the climbing and the inability to advance certain parts of the dialogue. Can you tell I’m an impatient player haha! Loved this game so much!

Tahj

On penultimate main quest. Have gobs of stuff left to do, so looking fwd to that. For sure have my frustrations w/ the game, but they are far outweighed by the pros. Also, Katallo ❤️

gow3isben

The arena is too dang expensive. I am level 25 and keep getting assblasted by that cobra and after 2000 credits I have given up for now. It is a fixed load out so will leveling up even help?

SlimySnake

The arena is too dang expensive. I am level 25 and keep getting assblasted by that cobra and after 2000 credits I have given up for now. It is a fixed load out so will leveling up even help?
Level 25 is too little. You need to level up a lot more and make sure you are fighting with very rare weapons and have equipped very rare armor.

Also bring in some potions and health buffs. I would not waste credits on arena right now. Its basically for the end game. It will take you forever to earn 80 medals you need to get a single weapon.

SlimySnake

The story missions in this game are excellent. The story in general is great, and the storytelling is a huge step above the first which relied mostly on telling backstory using holograms. I still dont care for the petty squabbles of the tribes, but Aloy's side characters are interesting enough.

It's also great to see them use the biggest robots for the story missions. It gives each mission a great ending, and you really feel like a part of a bigger story that way. I enjoy the main campaign missions a lot more than the open world jank. The side quests are well produced but they are your typical go here and kill something stuff. I havent really anything even remotely close to the bloody baron quest or some of the guild quests in Skyrim. What they shouldve done was focus on fewer quests, longer with a better payoff. They have loyalty missions for friends this time around a la Mass Effect, but ME worked because you had to make critical choices that made you feel like a part of the story. I dont get that there. It's basically more side missions.

I think they need to look at Mass Effect and see just what made their side quests so much fun. I dont think i played the ME games for more than 20-30 hours but I can still list so many memorable side quests off the top of my head.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
One thing to do is play the Arena on Story mode so you can get the metals. It's hilarious how easy it is in Story mode.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
One little change I wish they would do is allow you to combine Jobs into one giant job and allow jobs such that you can get components ahead of their use.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
The story missions in this game are excellent. The story in general is great, and the storytelling is a huge step above the first which relied mostly on telling backstory using holograms. I still dont care for the petty squabbles of the tribes, but Aloy's side characters are interesting enough.

It's also great to see them use the biggest robots for the story missions. It gives each mission a great ending, and you really feel like a part of a bigger story that way. I enjoy the main campaign missions a lot more than the open world jank. The side quests are well produced but they are your typical go here and kill something stuff. I havent really anything even remotely close to the bloody baron quest or some of the guild quests in Skyrim. What they shouldve done was focus on fewer quests, longer with a better payoff. They have loyalty missions for friends this time around a la Mass Effect, but ME worked because you had to make critical choices that made you feel like a part of the story. I dont get that there. It's basically more side missions.

I think they need to look at Mass Effect and see just what made their side quests so much fun. I dont think i played the ME games for more than 20-30 hours but I can still list so many memorable side quests off the top of my head.

I agree.

The story missions are all excellent AAAA stuff....really epic encounters for each one. The side quests are very good - they give some context/lore to each tribe. Some are great, some are kinda boring and I don't care and find myself skipping through all the slow diologue. The rest of the side content stuff is hit or miss. I like the Ruins and Cauldrons the most. The rest is filler.

The pits and hunting grounds dont really add anything other than basic training. I still find the melee in this game to be mostly bad, but thankfully the ranged combat is soo excellent you don't need to use it often. Even fully maxing out the melee it takes ages to do the resonator move. These human enemies are friggin tanks too...it's kinda even worse than the first game in that regard.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
My friend brought up a really good point the other day. There is no parry or blocking or shields in this game. Aloy has only one defensive move, dodge roll. I did this long side mission because they promised me a shield and it turned out to be the shield on a tripcaster. As if those will help against enemies who are constantly trying to ram you.

Yep I was going to point this out.

If there's one area of the combat this game needed, it was a shield/parry. And they give you a damn shield in the game! Why didn't they use it for more than gliding????

With how aggressive these enemies are, it would be nice to have a parry move or block that had stamina that would widdle down so you couldnt abuse it. I feel like that one aspect would add so much to the combat. Can't believe it's absent.

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
Level 40. I've done enough side quests for skill points to max out the hunter tree and the passives from all the other skill trees.
I'm now out of all the side missions I could find. And will have to do some more main.
Is the Slaughter Spine the biggest bad in the game? I managed to take one down and not die.

SlimySnake

I just did the colloseum mission....I thought I saw that you can get legendary gear here....how?
You need to do a side mission in that area. That will open up the arena where you can earn medals. Think hunting grounds but its mostly just killing enemies instead of the different requirements they have in hunting grounds. Its really Tough so after around three arena missions i called it quits. Legendary weapons are super expensive anyway. 80 medals for one and you only get 3-5 per mission.

You at better off just buying the very rare / purple ones which are strong enough. Pretty sure legendary weapons and armor are for the end game or NG+. Something to shoot for if you are going to be playing this game for the next year or two.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I just did the colloseum mission....I thought I saw that you can get legendary gear here....how?
The Arena*. You first unlock the arena (via a side-quest). Talk to the two girls standing outside it. Once unlocked, you can compete in the arena and earn Arena Medals.

One of the sisters would allow you to enter the arena. The second one would trade the medals for gear outside the arena. You can also trade Hunting Ground Medals for certain gears. Hope it helps.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Finished the game yesterday. 10/10. Everyone should play it. Also, it is by far the most visually stunning game any developer has ever launched yet. Beat even Rift Apart for me.

uVW6raA.jpg

The best part about the graphics for me was the high quality texture and foliage assets. Looks so real.
CQap7CW.jpg
crXKdjM.jpg
ujwSiuC.jpg
fdfKDt4.jpg
nQctHyM.jpg

If this ain't photo-realistic, I don't know what is.
dJKoC9L.jpg

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Anyone playing with “Easy Loot” setting on?

Some of these parts are difficult to tear off

And sometimes when I tear them off, they disappear??! Am I doing something wrong and accidentally blowing them up?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Anyone playing with “Easy Loot” setting on?

Some of these parts are difficult to tear off

And sometimes when I tear them off, they disappear??! Am I doing something wrong and accidentally blowing them up?

No, that's literally the best mechanic in the game. Makes fights much more engaging.

And yes, parts can disappear. Happened to me more than once in my 75+ hours with the game. Game is extremely buggy. It's the first Sony game ever that I had to revert to previous save because I couldn't progress further. Twice.

Mossybrew

The pits and hunting grounds dont really add anything other than basic training. I still find the melee in this game to be mostly bad, but thankfully the ranged combat is soo excellent you don't need to use it often. Even fully maxing out the melee it takes ages to do the resonator move. These human enemies are friggin tanks too...it's kinda even worse than the first game in that regard.

Agree fully, for all they fleshed out melee, sorry just don't care, the wide variety of ranged combat in the game takes center stage as it did in the original, melee is just boring by comparison. And yeah, these humans now have armor to break off like the machines and they definitely take longer to fight than before where they were pretty much trivial.

Also there are a lot of things I just don't engage with in the game and that's fine, they might interest others, like you say hunting grounds, fight pits, even machine riding I just ignore for the most part, that talent tree might not even exist for all I care about it. Traps too. But - more options are good for those that want to go in those directions.

Top Bottom