• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just completed the first Cauldron, was very nice though I always seem to get lost every now and then in a dungeon.

If you get really lost switch the pathfinding in the Options menu to waypoint mode.

I prefer to keep it off waypoint mode at other times except in cities where I'm like wtf where is the entrance.

lcap

Not sure you'll see this but apparently the DLC Deluxe Edition "Carja Mighty Bow" and the "Carja Storm Ranger Outfit" do indeed seemed bugged to be much more powerful than they should be.

Reddit - Guide to Understanding Weapons, Armor, Mods, and Farming 10J Shards & Easy Purple Mods

What it says about this DLC gear:

"SIDE NOTE - GLITCHED DLC GEAR:

While this won't effect everyone, I thought it would be worth mentioning. 2 Pieces of Deluxe Edition DLC gear, the Carja Mighty Bow and Carja Storm Ranger Outfit, are currently performing far better that their stats suggest they should be. The blue tier Carja Bow out-damages its purple equivalent, the Shadow Hunter Bow, by a large margin (nearly double), even though the SHB can equip 3 purple damage mods. The Blue Carja outfit, takes 10% of the damage that the highest defense purple outfit you can obtain, even when that outfit is stacked with defensive mods. Were talking hits that would do 40 damage instead doing 4 damage. This is likely unintended and may be patched out in the future, but worth noting."

So that's why the Thunderjaw fight was so easy! Man, gonna unequip this right now, felt so cheap and easy.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Killing mecha monsters is fun until it turned into disappointment when you loot them. They managed to get the combat part of hunting right, but somehow neglected the other half aspect of it.
I wish you could craft armors or weapons from slain machines. Would've been cool but there's always the sequel.

X-Frame

So that's why the Thunderjaw fight was so easy! Man, gonna unequip this right now, felt so cheap and easy.

Same. I tried the Thunderjaw on Very Hard a few times and got slaughtered since I wasn't really 100% preparing for it, just wanted to feel it out. One tail-swipe would kill me.

Then I switched some gear around, put that DLC armor on, and I was taking like 10% of my health bar as damage every time the Thunderjaw managed to bull charge me, with sound effects of Aloy just being crushed to death.

I'm taking it off too for good. It's clearly glitched and way too strong for what was intended.

Tyaren

I mean the graphics are unreal but can anyone tell me why they choose to use so much fog for daytime? Sometimes very rarely the weather full clears and it looks absolutely stunning but most of the time there is fog like effect.

I think the misty landscape looks great and actually better and more atmospheric that way. My only real gripe is that Meridian is foggy all the time during daytime. I wonder if it is to hide some LOD issues, because the city and its surroundings sure are a technical marvel and probably very stressing or if it is an artistic choice. If it is an artistic choice they could maybe turn it down just a notch... It's strange that even the inside of buildings is foggy.

JJShadow

Just encountered my first Bellowback and holy fuck, they hit like a truck (level 13 atm). Spent half of my ammo to take only one down of a group of three lol What strategy do you usually follow to take this guys down? Focus on that fammable sack on the back?

nOoblet16

I think the misty landscape looks great and actually better and more atmospheric that way. My only real gripe is that Meridian is foggy all the time during daytime. I wonder if it is to hide some LOD issues, because the city and its surroundings sure are a technical marvel and probably very stressing or if it is an artistic choice. If it is an artistic choice they could maybe turn it down just a notch... It's strange that even the inside of buildings is foggy.
I don't think it's to hide LoD, game does well in other areas as well. It's just that the way they do fog is quite advanced and realistic where it's thicker higher up than on ground and Meridian is quite high up.

Though I certainly haven't noticed it to be as thick as you are describing, being insider rooms and all.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Just encountered my first Bellowback and holy fuck, they hit like a truck (level 13 atm). Spent half of my ammo to take only one down of a group of three lol What strategy do you usually follow to take this guys down? Focus on that fammable sack on the back?
Something I didn't do until now, if you do the Hunter's Lodge quests they show you good ways to take down the different machines.

You can stun the Bellowbacks by shocking them and shoot below their bodies from behind for very good damage. Of course you can also try to explode their blaze sacks.

Dave_6

Man, some of the fights in this game are just crazy. I really have to plan out what to do or otherwise it's a very quick death.

Tyaren

I don't think it's to hide LoD, game does well in other areas as well. It's just that the way they do fog is quite advanced and realistic where it's thicker higher up than on ground and Meridian is quite high up.

Though I certainly haven't noticed it to be as thick as you are describing, being insider rooms and all.

You can notice it in Olin's house when you search through it. If you stand at one edge of the room the other side is already slightly obscured by a blue-ish haze.

Are the Cauldrons worth doing? Does overriding ever really come in handy? ��

Later in the game, it's just better to override and corrupt robots to have them duke them out.

And oh yeah the corrupt arrows are legit. Couple them with the heavy stealth suit with good stealth mods and you will rarely get noticed most of the game.

Once I just decided to sit back, and corrupt two thunderjaws to fight each other, and come down to finish the job and collect the loot.

kaskade

Not sure you'll see this but apparently the DLC Deluxe Edition "Carja Mighty Bow" and the "Carja Storm Ranger Outfit" do indeed seemed bugged to be much more powerful than they should be.

Reddit - Guide to Understanding Weapons, Armor, Mods, and Farming 10J Shards & Easy Purple Mods

While this won't effect everyone, I thought it would be worth mentioning. 2 Pieces of Deluxe Edition DLC gear, the Carja Mighty Bow and Carja Storm Ranger Outfit, are currently performing far better that their stats suggest they should be. The blue tier Carja Bow out-damages its purple equivalent, the Shadow Hunter Bow, by a large margin (nearly double), even though the SHB can equip 3 purple damage mods. The Blue Carja outfit, takes 10% of the damage that the highest defense purple outfit you can obtain, even when that outfit is stacked with defensive mods. Were talking hits that would do 40 damage instead doing 4 damage. This is likely unintended and may be patched out in the future, but worth noting."

Well that guide was useful. I figured I would just learn how to craft the other arrows at some point. Guess I should buy some bows

I figure that was the case .
The games was way to easy with either one of them on .

rbanke

I'm level 19 and I feel like I am just realizing the weapons and outfits are not lootable. I typically don't buy gear from vendors in RPG's if I can help it. I figure I should ask here to confirm that I should be buying weapons and outfits from the vendors (bought a couple weapons to finish hunting challenges but thats it)

You have to find 2 power cells to open the door and 3 to unlock the armor. Total of 5.

You can find 1 in the ruins where Aloy fell down when she was a kid. Other one in that mountain where she wakes up injured after the proving.

The rest 3 are also in locations only story will take you. You will have to look for them in those ruins. Dont get too excited like me because you can only unlock it by the end of the game.
For the one in the mountain with the matriarchs, can you go back in after
becoming a Seeker
? I tried going back in right after leaving the mountain door, but the guard stopped me saying only matriarchs are allowed in.

I got knocked off the head of the robogiraffe and started flying around, clearly a glitch and was funny to see but I couldn't get down until I flew to equal ground.

X-Frame

i have way too much fun just going around the world hunting/setting traps for the dinos

Yesterday I must have spent an hour just finding Sawtooth territories and overriding one Sawtooth to fight another Sawtooth. Those battles are insane. The sounds as their attacks spool up, oh my.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
33195165066_0b1cb12ccc_o.png

Weird. I've already cleared Zeta and only saw a bunch of Stalkers. Going to go back and check around the area.

Corruption Zone area to the East of Zeta that is where they are... this was my first time encountering them and I was blindsided because I only saw one when the 2nd one came out of the ground oh man...

CHC

The interface is good but there are some pretty clear areas for improvement.

It's pretty silly that you can't add a mod to equipment unless you're in the crafting screen, and can't add a mod to equipment from the mod screen.

Item sorting is pretty poor too.

Yeah the down on the d-pad thing is pretty clunky, it takes way too long to scroll through, especially when you have all the traps and potions and it's like 12 items long.

I also wish there was a dedicated button to switch which side of Aloy the camera is hovering over. I mean, you can reset it by using the focus but it still kinda does its own thing a lot.

And I also wish you could have a quest active but disable the on-screen marker.

Minor stuff, could easily be patched.

Yea, we need two wheels. A weapon wheel and then a traps/potions wheel. Aloy can also sometimes be a bit clunky and refuse to put down traps.

Edit: I'd prefer an option to press down in the dpad to bring up a potions/trap wheel which you can then select via the right stick and using the X button to confirm.

Yea, we need two wheels. A weapon wheel and then a traps/potions wheel. Aloy can also sometimes be a bit clunky and refuse to put down traps.

Yea this is quite frustrating. I know there is a cooldown on it, but when you d-pad down sometimes she just stands there really frustrating.

If it is the CD still it's not clear that the CD is even active still.

It should also be on weapon wheel.

Also the item inventory should separate items that are only used for selling for money, and ones that can be used for crafting.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I'm level 19 and I feel like I am just realizing the weapons and outfits are not lootable. I typically don't buy gear from vendors in RPG's if I can help it. I figure I should ask here to confirm that I should be buying weapons and outfits from the vendors (bought a couple weapons to finish hunting challenges but thats it)
Just buy from vendors, it's not that kind of loot game. It's more about the consumables.

Zackat

Yeah. I think whatever this problem is is also related to why you can't get the critical hit on downed creatures occasionally. Especially glinthawks that you take down with fire, etc.

Mash83

Just got back home from a work trip where I took my standard ps4. After playing on a 1080p TV for a few days and then coming home and playing on my pro and 4k TV, my God the difference is massive.

Going into ruins/cauldrons are insane with the neon colors. A totally different experience that was totally worth the investment. So happy I'm playing on pro.

Loving the game so far, probably around 10 hours in. Just looking at how much of the map I haven't explored it looks like there is so much more to do.

Tyaren

Here's a cool comparison of Horizon in 4k mode to The Witcher 3, max PC settings in 4K:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csvNXBxVW-g

Horizon is holding up pretty well, even surpassing the Witcher in some regards, while falling short in others.
Also interesting is the difference in art style. Directly compared to The Witcher 3 it is even more apparent how stylized Horizon actually is.

Corruption Zone area to the East of Zeta that is where they are... this was my first time encountering them and I was blindsided because I only saw one when the 2nd one came out of the ground oh man...

I cheesed that part, after dying oh so many times.

Lured them out in the open, and then sit across the stream in some grass and shot flaming arrows at them until they die. Using the heavy stealth suit works here really well since they will attack the last place you are at after they resurface from the ground.

It seems that the herbs spots are static. Which means that if you find a spot that's loaded with healing herbs, you can just go back there later when you need to refill.

I think there should be a guide out there somewhere that pointed out the locations.

silva1991

All this talk about
rocksmasher/breaker
makes me very excited to see it.

I have know idea how it looks, but surly it isn't as bad as some make it out to be.

It seems that the herbs spots are static. Which means that if you find a spot that's loaded with healing herbs, you can just go back there later when you need to refill.

I think there should be a guide out there somewhere that pointed out the locations.

I need guide for that asap. should be very useful with unlimited fast travel.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Finally get some funds to purchase this game, and it's conveniently out of stock on Amazon. How the hell is that even possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom