• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

nOoblet16

Did you get anything good from turning in those collectibles? I think I was screwed.
Nope, really shit stuff actually.
All green and blue materials, it makes no sense since by the time you are done with these collectibles you would have been playing endgame stuff meaning you would probably have the purple version of the same mods making the rewards worthless.

nOoblet16

Really starting to feel overpowered now, after killing my 2nd Thunderjaw, I've got my tripcaster with 3 +40% dmg mods, Blast does 565, tested it out on my 3rd Thunderjaw, lined up 4 tripwires, 3 blast traps then lured him with one of the arrows that explodes components off, dropped both his disc launchers, he charged through the traps dropping him to 1/3 HP, ran past him and picked up the launcher, fight lasted maybe 20secs.

I then got cocky and picked a fight with 2 ravagers..and accidentally aggroed 4 of the crab things, and 3 of the birds..Almost died half a dozen times, picked off the crabs with blast wires, used the tearblast arrows to blow the birds out of the sky and finish them off with the Hunter Bow, Tearblasted a Ravager gun off..fuck that thing is powerful, tore through both Ravagers like they were nothing.

Loving this game so far.
You don't even need traps if you are going to use the disclauncher. It is fully capable of bringing down a Thunderjaw from max to zero health on its own.

Ammogeddon

Not far through but loving the Dino combat man.

Just had a mental battle with a longleg, some watchers, and some sawtooths.

Love how taking out certain parts of their bodies disables specific attack moves/abilities.

Just wish there was a quick select for last weapon used. That would make it really snappy.

nOoblet16

Argh fucking
rockbreakers
are so annoying to fight. BS tracking, too much HP. No fun at all.
Yep, worst enemy in game for me. It's the only enemy with who I don't bother to tear parts off since it takes way too fuckin long to tear parts before he stops digging.

Just use freeze to slow him down giving you time to shoot and fire to do DoT.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
This game's introduction is a triumph of world building and an excellent gameplay tutorial. Spoilers because I don't want to risk ruining anything about it for anyone who hasn't started yet.

I love how it takes it's time to reach the stage when you're free to go explore the full map outside of Mother's Embrace, letting you roam around a bit between each main story checkpoint, and the narrative and gameplay lessons that are placed into those opening hours feel perfectly balanced. It took me just over 8 hours to become a Seeker. In that time I've learned enough about the history of the world and the mystery of Aloy's life that I'm desperate to get out there and find some answers, and as I explored the valley the game has given me enough training in how to hunt and fight that I'm confident in my abilities but still fully aware that I need to be well prepared and respect the machines at all times. The whole intro has been everything it needed to be, with regards to gameplay and narrative, and then some. I'm very impressed.

Also, Aloy is a great lead character. She's has the right mix of skill, attitude, stubbornness, sensitivity, naivety and self-awareness. She's just a great character. I look forward to seeing how she grows during the main story, as I'm sure there are some tough times and revelations up ahead.

And there was one little, almost incidental thing that I really enjoyed.
The training montage at the beginning. I love a good training montage anyway, but I thought this one was particularly well done. The literal jump-cut from young child to young woman was brilliant.

Meridian is great. There's some amazing vistas. The city doesn't feel as alive as say Novigrad or Beauclair from The Witcher 3, but it's definitely one of the better video game cities.

I've picked up a lot of side quests in Meridian. Hoping these will impress me more than the ones in the Nora region did.

Zen Aku

Am I the only one who doesn't like the fact that shards are both currency and crafting material in this game?

Also that you can't have multiple active quests at a time.

Raybunny

Nope, really shit stuff actually.
All green and blue materials, it makes no sense since by the time you are done with these collectibles you would have been playing endgame stuff meaning you would probably have the purple version of the same mods making the rewards worthless.

And here I was gathering all of them to trade expecting good stuff.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Sony is killing it this gen...

They really are. Look at just the last year. Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2, Nioh, Horizon... More before that and more to come.

Damn.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but once you take out his dig moves he just charges you endlessly and his mouth has crazy tracking so it's really hard to dodge. The
corrupted thunderjaw
for example is harder but fair imo. Though it took like 5 arrows to knock his weapon off unlock 1 with the regular ones.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Gone past the proving and the game has me hooked but it's doesn't feel polished.

Cut scenes for example prior to the camera cut isn't quite prepared so things kinda pop/frames jump.

The facial animations and lip sync are pretty awful.

The motion blur is lacking so motion doesn't feel smooth.

Quite allot of slow down here and there.

Visuals are lovely music is mixed bag so far.

Meridian is great. There's some amazing vistas. The city doesn't feel as alive as say Novigrad or Beauclair from The Witcher 3, but it's definitely one of the better video game cities.

I've picked up a lot of side quests in Meridian. Hoping these will impress me more than the ones in the Nora region did.

Yes. It hasn't reached Witcher 3 cities level yet, but it's still one of the greatest compared to other RPGs. I also love that there's an urban area just outside the main city.

One of the factors that held its greatness back is sadly its own game's system that is closing up the camera view when in cities. Traversing inside the city is kinda hard due to this. The other one is the 99% closed buildings.

Yes. It hasn't reached Witcher 3 cities level yet, but it's still one of the greatest compared to other RPGs. I also love that there's an urban area just outside the main city.

One of the factors that held its greatness back is sadly its own game's system that is closing up the camera view when in cities. Traversing inside the city is kinda hard due to this. The other one is the 99% closed buildings.

It looks visually more impressive than Novigrad at least, and perhaps even matches the beautiful Beauclair (and graphically looks even better, in my opinion)

Minor nitpicks:

The terrible lip sync in this game can be so distracting at times.

It's so strange that Aloy can't jump on anything that isn't "yellow." There are so many minor jumps that Alpy just can't make and it's so jarring when you consider that she's supposed to be this agile huntress.

Maybe Witcher 3 spoiled me with this, but I'm a bit disappointed that there's barely any buildings you can actually enter. For the most part unless the building is a part of the main story you can't enter it. That's a huge contrast to Witcher 3 where you can enter nearly every house/building in the game with no load times at all. In Horizon if there's a door for a building, then you can't go in 99% of the time. It's all just window dressing. (at least so far but I doubt this will change)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It looks visually more impressive than Novigrad at least, and perhaps even matches the beautiful Beauclair (and graphically looks even better, in my opinion)
I disagree about Novigrad, I think Novigrad is still the best city in a RPG.

However nothing is as good as the choir in Horizon. That was incredible.

I disagree about Novigrad, I think Novigrad is still the best city in a RPG.

However nothing is as good as the choir in Horizon. That was incredible.

I am just talking visually...Fair enough if you prefer it, but Meridian looks more impressive to me in terms of the setting (i.e., topography, surroundings), architecture, and the actual architectural design. Novigrad is well layed out, but comparatively plain in comparison. As a vibrant city though, I agree that it comes out on top. There is still room for improvement though, and I am sure we will see that in Cyberpunk 2077.

Wow I essentially wrote the same thing in my next post before I even saw yours. Great minds haha.

benny_a

I am just talking visually...Fair enough if you prefer it, but Meridian looks more impressive to me in terms of the setting (i.e., topography, surroundings), architecture, and the actual architectural design. Novigrad is well layed out, but comparatively plain in comparison. As a vibrant city though, I agree that it comes out on top. There is still room for improvement though, and I am sure we will see that in Cyberpunk 2077.
The setting with the lifts and looking down on the lower city are all great. It's conceptually a great city due to that, but I think it's too small for a capital.

nOoblet16

The setting with the lifts and looking down on the lower city are all great. It's conceptually a great city due to that, but I think it's too small for a capital.
Yes but the surrounding settlements like meridian village and that garden village are also parts of it. Combined it makes for a pretty big city, especially within the scope of this game's world...Where most people live in tribes.

benny_a

Yes but the surrounding settlements like meridian village and that garden village are also parts of it. Combined it makes for a pretty big city, especially within the scope of this game's world...Where most people live in tribes.
True. I just don't think it is a huge step up from Mother's Heart compared to what a huge step up Novigrad is compared to its settlements. (Although Mother's Heart is also a capital.)

It's fine and I think it's a wonderful place, it's just that I think Novigrad is the pinnacle of a RPG city.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
...it's just that I think Novigrad is the pinnacle of a RPG city.

Haven't been to Meridian yet so I can't compare, but it'll need to be very special to top the main cities of Witcher 3. Novigrad especially.

idonteven

All Acquisition machines killed trophy seems glitched for me...killed every robot multiple times but no trophy

this sucks man :/ ...

zkorejo

Sneak up and hit triangle, I believe.

Edit: or read above me. I did not know you could take them out from a distance^^

I did it from a distance and Aloy said something about taking care of the alarm. Another time I used a fire arrow (hoping it would blast) but the smoke started coming out and it alerted the nearest guard.

WaterAstro

Got my platinum. Pretty good game. Some annoying things like making normal attack and stealth attack the same damn button.

Argh fucking
rockbreakers
are so annoying to fight. BS tracking, too much HP. No fun at all.

Rope them down. Roping literally makes everything easy.

Fair enough. I suppose my contention is that, while Novigrad is a better RPG city, it doesn't excell over all others in every aspect. Aesthetically, for instance. It fits the world and I was impressed by it. In that regard, Beauclair was more impressive to me, but less interesting in terms of actual content and experience, if that makes sense.

I was really hoping that Altissia would be an awesome massive city...Visually it seemed like it was going to be much more impressive than Novigrade...But it was a big disappointment, and felt somewhat last gen to me in terms of the layout...

benny_a

Fair enough. I suppose my contention is that, while Novigrad is a better RPG city, it doesn't excell over all others in every aspect. Aesthetically, for instance. It fits the world and I was impressed by it. In that regard, Beauclair was more impressive to me, but less interesting in terms of actual content and experience, if that makes sense.
Yeah. There are strenghts and weaknesses and different things are weighed differently for different people.

Much like the games overall. :)

Zakalwe

Banned
The cities in Horizon are wonderful visually but lacking interactively. Novigrad just has so much more to do and feels much more alive.

george_us

The human fights in this game are trash tier and almost singlehandily drag the game down. Ruined a pretty cool Thunderjaw fight I was in.

Nil is character of the year^^ The cast gets more diverse the more you get into it; both friendly and jerk characters and everything in between.

Is Nil really that great? I saw that his quest was a bandit camp so I skipped it because the human combat is like the worst part of the game. Is it worth trudging through just for the story?

Only a few hours in and I hate every human I have ever met . Think I would rather live with the machines then these assholes .

That's why I don't get this game being awarded 10/10 by so many. The characters lack charm across the board. Some humorous quests would have helped too.

But this is after all a game from the Killzone guys. Massive improvement. Maybe I'll love their next game more.

But that gfx and photo mode. Jeez!

That's why I don't get this game being awarded 10/10 by so many. The characters lack charm across the board. Some humorous quests would have helped too.

But this is after all a game from the Killzone guys. Massive improvement. Maybe I'll love their next game more.

But that gfx and photo mode. Jeez!

Yeh the cutscenes / voice acting need a ton of work . That Olin guy is laughable so far but I am still fairly early on.

Thankfully the dinos / world / gfx / story save it .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom