• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

aristotle

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but do a jumping mount on your robopet, ala Lone Ranger. It's the only way to mount an animal now.

Aomber

Thanks guys, that's what I thought. I would have bought a PS4 by now but I made the mistake of buying an Xbox One a couple years ago before they announced "Play Anywhere". Will be seriously thinking about a Playstation with this game in mind though.

Since this game makes good use of it - what about PS4 pro? Worth the extra $150? I don't have a 4k TV or HDR right now so it's hard for me to know if that's worth it. There is the "future proofing" factor n all but yeah, would be curious to hear.

That would be a great addition. My favorite aspect of the game is dismantling robots, if the crafting system only revolved around blowing off components and not just looting the corpse that'd be way better. I know they do this stuff for like blaze, but it should have been for *all* crafting materials. Only thing left on the body should be like metal scraps and maybe some common materials like wire.

Make it so there's rarer versions of the machines where they have specialized components that you have to tear off to obtain.

GG should just poach a bunch of Monster Hunter Devs lol.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Hi guys - just to be perfectly clear, Sony owns the rights for this game, and this will almost certainly remain a PS4 exclusive right?

I'm a PC gamer primarily, been watching some Twitch content of this game and and this might be the game that tips me over to buying a PS4 with all the other great exclusives on the platform.

As other's have already mentioned, This game from Guerrilla Games is exclusive to Sony because they are an in-house studio. This game is indeed amazing, and has made my jaw drop more times than I can count. Almost everything about it is fun, amazing. It certainly doesn't hurt that the story is great either.

The Sony exclusives are good enough reason for PC gamer's to consider buying a PS4 or PS4 Pro if they considering buying in now. Some of the exclusives coming look fantastic, but obviously, all are subject to the review gods and personal opinion after release.

The Uncharted Collection and Uncharted 4, God of War series (including remasters), Horizon Zero Dawn, games like Gravity Rush/Gravity Rush 2, The Last Guardian (even with annoying game play issues), inFamous: Second Son, The Last of Us (Remaster), Kingdom Hearts collection(soon all of it anyway), and many other games are awesome to play right now.

Later:
Uncharted Lost Legacy (Uncharted 4 add-on DLC), Days Gone, Detroit: Become Human, The Last of US II, God of War 4, Spider-Man, Death Stranding, Days Gone, Gran Turismo(Depending on your opinion), ..etc. are some great looking exclusives.

Wollan

My first encounter with any Rockbreaker was with two infected ones. Even with the end-game super gear I had to retry that fight a few times. Lots of fun. Thunderjaws are breakfast in comparison.

VzQ5vsN.gif

Hi guys - just to be perfectly clear, Sony owns the rights for this game, and this will almost certainly remain a PS4 exclusive right?

I'm a PC gamer primarily, been watching some Twitch content of this game and and this might be the game that tips me over to buying a PS4 with all the other great exclusives on the platform.

Join us. We have Horizon, Bloodborne, TLOU and cookies.

My first encounter with any Rockbreaker was with two infected ones. Even with the end-game super gear I had to retry that fight a few times. Lots of fun. Thunderjaws are breakfast in comparison.

Fun fact, they can't cross the river. Just stand on the other side and pelt them with arrows while dodging their rock attacks.

B.O.O.M

ooh so that must be the fight I saw as well...shit was intense

Jesus, that must have been a ride. I put off fighting those two until after
the quarry sidequest where you fought one alone.
In my opinion that was the toughest fight in the game, though I think someone mentioned cheesing it with
a Ravager cannon from a nearby area.
It's something I'd like to try if I ever pick it up again a year down the line.

ISee

Give it a try. I'm a PC gamer myself, but there are some great exclusives for this machine like Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, The last of us remastered, HZD, Nioh and God of War 3 remastered (my personal must haves, the rest is rather forgettable imo).
Granted the jump from 60fps on PC to (mostly) 30fps on PS4 is sometimes a bit off putting but there is no other way to play those great games so whatever.

Button

Banned
The rockbreakers are seriously the worst designed monsters I've fought in a long time.

Anyway, beat the two corrupted bastards on very hard without cheat armor.

G1dMD2D.gif

shiba5

I'm going to be an enabler. Buy a Pro.
I have a high end PC and HZD still manages to blow my mind graphically. I don't think I've ever seen a prettier game. Blood and Wine is close, but the foliage still doesn't come close to what Guerrilla has done.

When
Sylen
quotes the Happy Birthday Isaac line lol

The rockbreakers are seriously the worst designed monsters I've fought in a long time.

G1dMD2D.gif

They are really OP and annoying. It took me a lot of deaths and tripwire to beat that corrupted land at level 48, v hard, stealth armor.

I have a high end PC and HZD still manages to blow my mind graphically. I don't think I've ever seen a prettier game. Blood and Wine is close, but the foliage still doesn't come close to what Guerrilla has done.

Agreed. Couldn't ditch consoles for this reason.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
my first and only encounter with a rockbreaker was on my way to a Tallneck, and it was my second death in the game, he just deleted me with a rock barrage, I couldnt dodge. It was kinda "wtf happened" :(

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This game is so artistic it looks like one of those artsy indie games at times.

This screen hasnt been photoshopped at all. Did not use any filters or messed with the colors. This is what the game looks like at times.

C6ieSpXVoAEsjPk.jpg

kitzkozan

Give it a try. I'm a PC gamer myself, but there are some great exclusives for this machine like Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, The last of us remastered, HZD, Nioh and God of War 3 remastered (my personal must haves, the rest is rather forgettable imo).
Granted the jump from 60fps on PC to (mostly) 30fps on PS4 is sometimes a bit off putting but there is no other way to play those great games so whatever.

Those are worth a try at the very least, but you also have games which can be enjoyed depending on one's taste (Infamous SS, Ratchet & Clank, Gravity Rush remastered & 2, Driveclub, The Last Guardian, Yakuza 0).

KZObsessed

Had my first fight with a rockbreaker as part of a side mission. First attempt ridiculously frustrating. Second attempt amazing. Tearblast his limbs off or its impossible.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Those are worth a try at the very least, but you also have games which can be enjoyed depending on one's taste (Infamous SS, Ratchet & Clank, Gravity Rush remastered & 2, Driveclub, The Last Guardian, Yakuza 0).

PS4 had a rough first few years by Sony standards, but their exclusive line up is getting bigger by the month.

I'd classify them in three categories:

Masterpiece: Horizon, The Last Guardian, Bloodborne
Great: Until Dawn, Ratchet & Clank, Havent played Nioh but it looks like it belongs here
Good: Uncharted 4, Infamous Second Son, Drive Club. Havent played Gravity Rush 2 and Yakazu games but they are likely in this category.

Knack, The Order and ShadowFail are in the shit tier. TLOU, GoW 3 and Uncharted remasters are a must play for anyone who missed out on the series. The next year or two with Spiderman, God of War, Detroit, Days Gone, TLOU 2 and Death Stranding are going to go back to the glory days of PS3 first party exclusives.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
why does nobody talk bout Aloy's hair?

if that not the bet hair I've ever seen in a videogame, I dont know what is. It looks amazing.

Xeteh

I feel like the elemental slings are under appreciated from the comments. i find them very useful against most enemies.

I avoided Slings for a good portion of the game because I just wanted to use bows but by the end of the game I was using both Slings more than any bow against machines. They're super strong.

ISee

Of course, for some people.

PS4 had a rough first few years by Sony standards, but their exclusive line up is getting bigger by the month.

Great: Until Dawn, Ratchet & Clank, Havent played Nioh but it looks like it belongs here
Good: Uncharted 4, Infamous Second Son, Drive Club. Havent played Gravity Rush 2 and Yakazu games but they are likely in this category.

Knack, The Order and ShadowFail are in the shit tier. TLOU, GoW 3 and Uncharted remasters are a must play for anyone who missed out on the series. The next year or two with Spiderman, God of War, Detroit, Days Gone, TLOU 2 and Death Stranding are going to go back to the glory days of PS3 first party exclusives.

I like to categorize exclusives a bit different, but it's not really a far cry from your system. I also only give an opinion if I actually played the game.

I.) It's worth to buy the system just to play this one game (aka system seller)
-Bloodborne
-HZD
-Uncharted 4
-The last of Us remastered (if you never played it before)

II.) If you already own the system; buy the game. But it's not a system seller.
-Nioh
-God of War 3 remastered

III.) It's okay.
-Until Dawn
-The last guardian
-Infamous SS
-Driveclub

IV.) Nope
-The order 1886

When it comes to future exclusives I'm very hyped for TLOU2 and Death Stranding (maybe a bit unreasonable to be hyped for that one as we know nothing about it). I'm also interested in the new God of War and Days Gone but Spiderman and Detroit (especially) are uninteresting, at least currently.

Darklor01

This game is so artistic it looks like one of those artsy indie games at times.

This screen hasnt been photoshopped at all. Did not use any filters or messed with the colors. This is what the game looks like at times.

Oh, yeah.. this game completely blows me away visually... forgive the facebook compression, but .. here's one i shared which hasn't been altered.

No filters:
F9D41036-FB38-414F-B146-E68F9E18F190.jpg

With a blue filter, nothing else:
95A19FE8-9A66-4B27-8147-AA0C7D7442C6.jpg

770B1B63-9CBE-4A10-9268-3AAFD70FD39B.jpg

I'm still near the very beginning where I have to
clear out two corrupted zones in order to get to Meridian

Those are giving me big trouble though. Any advice on weapons? I currently own the standard bow, tripcaster and ropecaster.

Darklor01

Kölsch Bloot;231840049 said:
I'm still near the very beginning where I have to
clear out two corrupted zones in order to get to Meridian

Those are giving me big trouble though. Any advice on weapons? I currently own the standard bow, tripcaster and ropecaster.

Well, I would honestly take advice from others in this regard since I've no doubt they will get better advice, but .. At least have a Shadow Hunter Bow, maybe that and a War Bow. Some good armor. There are some I see debating between Shadow Sling and high end Ropecaster.

kitzkozan

The thing with Horizon is that it succeed where The Order 1886 failed lol. A console need it's system sellers, and Horizon is that graphical showpiece that is necessary when the console can push out visuals. HZD is a very solid game while The Order wasn't despite having great graphics. I think Microsoft would kill for studios like Naughty Dogs, GG or Santa Monica right about now as they lack that graphical showpiece for the Xbox one (or upcoming Scorpio? ).

shiba5

Has anyone run into this weird bug from later in the game? You finish a quest high on a mountain. Right above is a rock cropping with a rope slide that will take you back down. However, there's no way up to it. I can almost jump to it but not enough. There are no hand holds. When I reload, I am placed on top of the rock cropping, but now the rope slide is gone. It's happened both times I've done this quest. It's the very end of
Traitor's Bounty - the area where Uthid and Vanasha are having a chat.

Xeteh

Man, after playing through Horizon and jumping in to Zelda on the Wii U the difference is insane, everything looks so muddy. I love the artstyle of the game but damn.

Zackat

I just abused their aggro radius near a rock and laid a lot of fire tripwires. Fire owns corrupted.

I think it's HDR that pushes it into amazing territory. PC games at 4k can look more amazing but they don't operate light in the same manner.

Has anyone run into this weird bug from later in the game? You finish a quest high on a mountain. Right above is a rock cropping with a rope slide that will take you back down. However, there's no way up to it. I can almost jump to it but not enough. There are no hand holds. When I reload, I am placed on top of the rock cropping, but now the rope slide is gone. It's happened both times I've done this quest. It's the very end of
Traitor's Bounty - the area where Uthid and Vanasha are having a chat.

Ya I had the same thing. I think I just fast traveled out of there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom