• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedHill

Banned
Just got past
Where you take down the screw head thing after you first leave the embrace. The game hasn't grabbed me yet. Should I be hooked yet or is the grabbing stuff still coming?
or maybe the game isn't really for me.

Edit: For anyone not clicking the spoiler what I said very early on. Most of you are past me but I just really want to know if the game isn't for me

Davide

Most would argue they are totally different experiences, but the similarities are there.

BotW will have to be damned incredible to match this, that being said.

It's not even that Zelda games usually look anything like Horizon, but this one really does, even just by the first trailer. It's Link in a nature setting with a bow fighting something not dissimilar from the robot dinosaurs of Horizon.

Not trying to hate on Zelda games, I love the idea of them more than anything and just can't get into them half of the time. I should probably just play BotW first before this so I won't be comparing it to Horizon so much especially if it's as good as people here say.

I just looked at my clock and I've spent 5 hours straight playing this game. It has been a LONG time since a game has made me just forget about the time.

The characters speak very modern. I wonder if there is an explanation for that or maybe though humanity may have regressed technologically and socially, maybe the way people speak never changed?

Just a thought.

There is an answer to your question of whether or not this is explained.

mileS

Can you turn off the sparkle effect above tall grass? I don't see it in the list for custom hud. I honestly want to turn off most of it after playing an hour or so.

Anyone notice when there's like four or more lines of text on screen, assuming you left subtitles enabled obviously that the last line or so gets cut off. I first noticed it when I entered the town for the Proving, when the camera zoomed in on Aloy. I'm not sure if its the game or my display setup. There's no way to change the screen border in the options menu as far as I can tell.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
What the hell am I doing wrong that I can't get Scrapper Lens from the Scrappers?

RNG.

Do you have the skill that gives you a chance for more resources from loot?

I'm at around 26 hours in after some long weekend sessions. I think what I like about it most is one of the things The Witcher 3 did so well. There's this very real, very natural and organic logic to the connections between the geography, the cultures, and the interactions between those cultures. The differences between Nora, Carja, and Oseram are very obvious but those differences make sense once you spend time in their home "lands" and learn of their history. The location of their home has very clearly been a big factor in their religions, how they build armor and buildings, and what the people are like. It's all exceedingly well thought out. The world is wholly believable and feels like it has formed naturally over a very long time. It doesn't feel like some writers just came up with ideas and plopped them into the world.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
My game from Amazon didn't show up until 8:30 tonight. Case was all banged up with some of the plastic broken off. Can't get the disc to install. Just filed a return request and am getting digital. 1.5 hour download to go!

antitrop

Played maybe 5 or 6 hours and I love pretty much everything at the moment. It helps I love Far Cry and I find the setting, lore, characters, all that shit pretty fascinating. I greatly underestimated the narrative presentation, it's top-notch. Soundtrack is wonderful, too.

I'm finding the pacing to be pretty exceptional for an open-world game.

SexyFish

Banned
Got about 3 hours in. Didn't expect this plot to already sink its teeth in me. Also the combat flow is straight butter. God damn.

Kalentan

There is an answer to your question of whether or not this is explained.

Can't wait for the answer or non-asnwer.

Also everyone, talk to the priest early on when you get the chance and talk to him till you get the choice: "Sun-Queen", I found it a funny conversation that has him kind of falling over himself to explain why there hasn't been one.

Bucca

Don't have enough skill points for it yet. Gonna have to grind I guess. Killed 8 of these things so far & still no drop on the item I need.

Just do some side quests and advance the story one step or so. They usually give good chunks of exp out.

CHC

Is there any way to remove items from your toolbar (d pad down)? I don't really need rocks anymore.

Also is there any way to camp / change the time?

wig

*early mission spoilers* I'm only a few hours in and haven't even left the starting area yet. Holy. Shit. at
the events that happen at the end of the proving. I wasn't expecting ANY of that!
I am SHOOK.

J-Skee

Just do some side quests and advance the story one step or so. They usually give good chunks of exp out.

I must be doing something wrong. Apparently, I do have one in my inventory, but when I try to sell it for a quest, it doesn't come up.

EDIT: Yup, I'm a moron! Finally figured it out.

leehom

Only played an hour so far and not feeling it. Don't like the voice acting and get a little motion sickness if I turn the camera too often.

Game controls great and the graphics are amazing so far.

I didn't really like FF XV after playing it for a few hours either. It was after I dug deep I started to enjoy it. Relax, I haven't wrote Horizon off yet.

Bucca

The machines can be so fucking ruthless and without mercy sometimes.

Especially fighting two Saberclaw. Fucking annoying AF.

VanWinkle

Ended up 5 and a half hours into the game. Totally engrossed. Amazing story and world. I love this stuff.

Got my first [very distant] look at a Tallneck when looking off into the far foggy distance a little bit ago. Kind of a surreal moment when you're actually playing it.

Kin5290

Got about 3 hours in. Didn't expect this plot to already sink its teeth in me. Also the combat flow is straight butter. God damn.
I feel so badass just spinning 90 degrees and putting an arrow into a Watcher eye at point blank range. The feedback is great.

Neoweee

Has anyone found quick saving to be buggy? Two deaths and then it sends me back to a save before I started to clear a quest area. Or the entire area respawned, along with resetting dialogue? I have no idea, but both are pretty bad.

This story..Damn I'm so into it GG.. Is that you? And I know I'm not the only one (earlish game SPOILER)
that sat down to listen to that full story about the machines in mother's heart

Vroadstar

Just experienced my first Horizon WTF moment....

Was fighting this robot horse and managed to get behind it, when I was about to attack from behind it kicked me so I got flung back and I was not really expecting that.....damn this get is great

I was just fighting machines out in the desert and a sandstorm rolled in. Their visibility on me was suddenly lost and massively reduced for the rest of the fight.

Gray Matter

A few hours in and I love the combat. I haven't fought anything past the
sawtooth
but killing the machines it's so satisfying.

Can't wait to get into the bigger machines, espcially that T. rex looking one.

I'm at around 26 hours in after some long weekend sessions. I think what I like about it most is one of the things The Witcher 3 did so well. There's this very real, very natural and organic logic to the connections between the geography, the cultures, and the interactions between those cultures. The differences between Nora, Carja, and Oseram are very obvious but those differences make sense once you spend time in their home "lands" and learn of their history. The location of their home has very clearly been a big factor in their religions, how they build armor and buildings, and what the people are like. It's all exceedingly well thought out. The world is wholly believable and feels like it has formed naturally over a very long time. It doesn't feel like some writers just came up with ideas and plopped them into the world.

Hnnng, that's fantastic to hear. I love some good world-building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom