• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

Just made my way to M
eridian
last night. What a trek! The journey to seek help was long and perilous, not just a cakewalk to kick-start the next plot point. Fought three Tramplers on the way (double tear arrows to the stomach set them on fire), they ran away while they burned to death, then fucking mech birds swooped down and started gobbling their carcasses, fucking sons of bitches stole my loot! I did not waste my resources on killing a Stormbird just to put up with this shit!

f@luS

More than a member.
Ok. I just did 10h of witches 3 a year go. After that a lot of work. I finished horizon in 55h in 2 weeks and it's one of my best game Erene. I tried to go back to witcher 3 Straight. Big mistake. Impossible

MrBS

Game over. Platinum got with 99.44% completion. I'm not bothering with getting the rest of the notes in the world.

Outstanding game, just a joy from beginning to end.

My major niggle with the game would be the those side quests where you have follow tracks, not as bad as Assassin's Creed tail missions but up there.

Hi guys so first time post here, been enjoying horizon

but what is this o.o

sO7Vhp1.png

Do I have to do any grinding/side questing? Just got level 10, starting to see enemies at level 15...

I would rather not play any sidequest content, so I hope not. I know, I know, just limited game time.

Do I have to do any grinding/side questing? Just got level 10, starting to see enemies at level 15...

I would rather not play any sidequest content, so I hope not. I know, I know, just limited game time.

Not really, though I'd say some sidequests are worth doing since you'll only encounter a few of the most interesting characters in the game through them.

So I made it
Meridian
a while ago (~10 hours) and definitely notice a change in dialogue and detail (beginning of ACT II?). Since then I have gone around doing side quests and exploring. I have unlocked all Tallnecks and
honestly I am surprised there was nothing crazier on the map than Meridian.
I finished another cauldron and this time I was prepared (lots of traps). I am considering going from normal to hard. I am really enjoying fighting the machines but they die too quickly. However there is one machine I absolutely dread, the S
talker
. I don't know how to approach it. I have tried everything but it doesn't work. They are truly el diablo.

Cyborg

Im still amazed how intense the battles are and how good it feels to switch weapons and use a diffrent strategy.

nelchaar

I'm just getting into the meat of the story, and my goodness why is there not more praise for the story. This story tops a lot of Hollywood movies and books I've read. Truly exquisite stuff.

TsuWave

I went and looked at uncharted release dates and noticed that 2 and 3 came only two years after the previous title. Do you guys think there's any chance of a Horizon sequel in 2019?

I want more :(

Joco

I went and looked at uncharted release dates and noticed that 2 and 3 came only two years after the previous title. Do you guys think there's any chance of a Horizon sequel in 2019?

I want more :(

I'm guessing no, not that soon. Uncharted has the benefit of being... more focused in scope you could say. Though it's extremely well done for what it is.

Horizon will probably get an expansion or two. A sequel I wouldn't expect earlier than three years from now though, and that's probably pushing it.

Just made my way to M
eridian
last night. What a trek! The journey to seek help was long and perilous, not just a cakewalk to kick-start the next plot point. Fought three Tramplers on the way (double tear arrows to the stomach set them on fire), they ran away while they burned to death, then fucking mech birds swooped down and started gobbling their carcasses, fucking sons of bitches stole my loot! I did not waste my resources on killing a Stormbird just to put up with this shit!

I haven't finished the main quest yet, but I've explored most of the game world and the journey to Meridian was my favourite part so far. The world seemed to really open up and I loved the seamless switch in terrain.

I felt pretty confident after fully exploring the opening areas and wasn't playing too stealthily, but I'd try and take on one machine and what seemed like a convoy of the buggers would chase after me. It was overwhelming and ridiculously good fun.

I really need to get on with the story. Level 35 and I haven't started a Level 14 main quest yet.

At the final showdown mission now

Summary
- best open world I have experienced
- amazing graphics under different lighting conditions
- interesting sci-fi story, engaged in half of it, fast forwarded most tribal dialog though
- definitely worth playing through and even doing all optional stuff

However, niggles
- annoying when dialog talks over collectible audio
- side missions a bit meh
- I got over-leveled very easily just by having some fun doing random stuff and as a result the story missions all became easy: each story mission added so much xp that I stayed over leveled
- complex mods but once in purple, didn't need to play with them
- huge inventory variety but only really short of a few things (meat, blaze etc)
- reward boxes are all boring even the ones from colllecting things
- all vendors sort of almost sell same weapons and armor
- did not feel much use for overrides
- big creatures - which are hard - can all be cheesed
- "now they're hunting me" and "would be fascinating.." usually said at weird times
- climbing all the tall necks too easy
- stealth loss from yellow to red is instantly communicated to everyone

Melchiah

Go back and spoiler tag that shiz. And also go to the spoiler thread cause it's great :D

Had to quote your other post to avoid seeing what's in the spoiler tags.

What you commented on is exactly why I avoid OTs nowadays before completing games, since people don't follow the forum's spoiler etiquette, and keep that kind of comments in the spoiler threads where it belongs to. I think it affects the discussion negatively, and I wish the moderators would be more strict about it, since it's even stated in the forum's member etiquette.

mitchman

Gold Member
Game over. Platinum got with 99.44% completion. I'm not bothering with getting the rest of the notes in the world.

Outstanding game, just a joy from beginning to end.

My major niggle with the game would be the those side quests where you have follow tracks, not as bad as Assassin's Creed tail missions but up there.

You don't need to collect the notes to 100% the game. I'm guessing you're missing the Acquired Taste side mission, it's hard to find.

noomi

Man... some of there hunter trials are no joke challenging...

I hope it's worth getting all blazing suns for the hunter weapons. I have all the purple shadow weapons currently, but I'm not sure of the hunters lodge ones are any better....

I am sitting at 52 hours currently, and I can comfortably say that inventory management is the only thing I truly dislike about this game.

I've run into the issue where I have like a dozen half-empty treasure boxes or whatever in my inventory because they all have modifications in them, but my maxed out modification inventory is already full of much better modifications that I've been hanging on to. Why isn't there an option to trash treasure boxes?

Then, I had the issue where all of a sudden I was out of ridge-wood because I had stopped collecting ridge-wood for awhile because the icon was red, but it was red because I had depleted my ridge-wood such that I only had one inventory slot left for ridge-wood and had taken up the other 4-5 slots with some other garbage items.

I wish I could dump anything I thought I might need later into a chest or something. My hoarding is now to my detriment.

It's a small complaint in the grand scheme of things, but I was in the middle of the last Cauldron last night when I ran out of ridge-wood. I made it out with like 3 hard point arrows and a tearblast arrow left.

Admodieus

I am sitting at 52 hours currently, and I can comfortably say that inventory management is the only thing I truly dislike about this game.

I've run into the issue where I have like a dozen half-empty treasure boxes or whatever in my inventory because they all have modifications in them, but my maxed out modification inventory is already full of much better modifications that I've been hanging on to. Why isn't there an option to trash treasure boxes?

Then, I had the issue where all of a sudden I was out of ridge-wood because I had stopped collecting ridge-wood for awhile because the icon was red, but it was red because I had depleted my ridge-wood such that I only had one inventory slot left for ridge-wood and had taken up the other 4-5 slots with some other garbage items.

I wish I could dump anything I thought I might need later into a chest or something. My hoarding is now to my detriment.

It's a small complaint in the grand scheme of things, but I was in the middle of the last Cauldron last night when I ran out of ridge-wood. I made it out with like 3 hard point arrows and a tearblast arrow left.

I agree with your complaints on inventory management. In a sequel they need to separate out resources you use to craft ammo and resources you get from machines that are used to buy new items, like weapons or armor, or craft expansions to your capacity. I am constantly having to sell Chillwater or Sparklers to make room for new animal skins or machine parts.

I did all side quests I could find and got all the side collectibles before starting my current quest, which has me
inside the Zero Dawn facility learning about the Gaia project
. Really loving the game so far.

Melchiah

I hope it's worth getting all blazing suns for the hunter weapons. I have all the purple shadow weapons currently, but I'm not sure of the hunters lodge ones are any better....

Yeah, the first two were pretty easy, but the third with the Tie Down trial is pretty hard. So far I haven't been able to get blazing suns from any of those three Stamina trials. Someone said before, that it's possible to set the difficuly to easy for them, so I might try that after finishing the game. I wonder if the rewards are even worth the hassle, since I don't find time-limited challenges fun to do.

noomi

Yeah, the first two were pretty easy, but the third with the Tie Down trial is pretty hard. So far I haven't been able to get blazing suns from any of those three Stamina trials. Someone said before, that it's possible to set the difficuly to easy for them, so I might try that after finishing the game. I wonder if the rewards are even worth the hassle, since I don't find time-limited challenges fun to do.

The tie down one took me a few tries. Those fucking tramplers make it difficult, and sitting waiting for the glinthawk to come around wastes precious time. Did end up getting it on the 3rd try this morning though.... never again!

kriskrosbbk

They have some golden elements on them also I saw the handling of the slingshot seems better. Did not see any other differencies tbh.

Melchiah

The tie down one took me a few tries. Those fucking tramplers make it difficult, and sitting waiting for the glinthawk to come around wastes precious time. Did end up getting it on the 3rd try this morning though.... never again!

I felt lucky when I got a full sun from it after a few tries. =/ I stayed on the cliffs to avoid the Tramplers, but it's not that easy to hit the Glinthawks when a couple of them are attacking you.

jiggles

Banned
So I beat the game and it's put me back before the final mission but let me keep the XP. Does this mean I can just grind it over and over to MEGALEVELS or what?

I'm just getting into the meat of the story, and my goodness why is there not more praise for the story. This story tops a lot of Hollywood movies and books I've read. Truly exquisite stuff.
Someone in another thread was trying to call me out when I mentioned that a lot of critics and users praised the story and felt it some of the best writing in video games.

Yet here you are.

It truly is great writing.

BumRush

I agree with others on inventory. For the sequel, each new slot should be for a unique item, rather than 12 different spots for ridgewood, and so on. I feel like 10% of my game time was in the resource menu.

Elandyll

Banned
Only gets better till the end imo.

Some have criticized the big info dumps via logs in specific areas (there is a particularly huge one towards the end), but after thinking about it I think the way it's been dealt with makes the most sense.

1- the logs location makes sense. It's where it is supposed to be, in areas that were by en large inaccessible until now, and for good reasons

2- it's optional content that fluffs out the world, but isn't necessary to understand the basics of what is going on.

Zakalwe

Banned

I don't know... I've read a lot of sci-fi and Horizon doesn't stand out as particularly imaginative. I really enjoyed it because I'm a sucker for stories like this, but it felt pretty standard in terms of sci-fi overall.

It's definitely better than most video games stories, though, and it absolutely nailed some of the human aspects (some of the latter game story beats felt very tragic).

2- it's optional content that fluffs out the world, but isn't necessary to understand the basics of what is going on.

Couldn't agree more. It's great stuff, some of the audio logs are extremely well done and disturbing, but it's all optional stuff. You can skip it all and still get the gist of the main story. And it's great that the game doesn't make you sit through hours of cutscenes on end, it allows you to go through these things at your pace.

I really enjoyed it because I'm a sucker for stories like this, but it felt pretty standard in terms of sci-fi overall.

It's definitely better than most video games stories, though, and it absolutely nailed some of the human aspects (some of the latter game story beats felt very tragic).

It's good sci-fi done right, something that's awfully lacking in the medium. There are better books and films, sure, but I can count on one hand games with better sci-fi narratives.

I felt lucky when I got a full sun from it after a few tries. =/ I stayed on the cliffs to avoid the Tramplers, but it's not that easy to hit the Glinthawks when a couple of them are attacking you.

I think that trial, and a lot of others, it's realizing that the rules are not very strict at all (for example, only one of the 'stealth' hunting trials requires you to be stealthy in any shape or form). I got that one by critical striking one glinthawk twice after I downed it, and that counted as 2 glinthawks. Also, you can straight up die and fulfil the objectives, so playing defense isn't that key a lot of times. I finish the first trial at those hunting ground while being trampled to death by a Trampler and got a Blazing Sun.

The only one I found to be truly difficult was the Stalker one at the stealth hunting ground because it's so hard to find the second Stalker after you create a ruckus killing the first one. I did it probably 5 or 6 times in a row before catching the glimmer of it's stealth camo in the distance immediately and being able to fire off a perfect Tearblast Arrow to knock it's stealth camo out.

I have one trial left that I tried once last night before going to bed, and that's the final one with the Thunderjaw and Ravagers.

Top Bottom