• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

VanWinkle

At the final showdown mission now

Summary
- best open world I have experienced
- amazing graphics under different lighting conditions
- interesting sci-fi story, engaged in half of it, fast forwarded most tribal dialog though
- definitely worth playing through and even doing all optional stuff

However, niggles
- annoying when dialog talks over collectible audio
- side missions a bit meh
- I got over-leveled very easily just by having some fun doing random stuff and as a result the story missions all became easy: each story mission added so much xp that I stayed over leveled
- complex mods but once in purple, didn't need to play with them
- huge inventory variety but only really short of a few things (meat, blaze etc)
- reward boxes are all boring even the ones from colllecting things
- all vendors sort of almost sell same weapons and armor
- did not feel much use for overrides
- big creatures - which are hard - can all be cheesed
- "now they're hunting me" and "would be fascinating.." usually said at weird times
- climbing all the tall necks too easy
- stealth loss from yellow to red is instantly communicated to everyone

Interesting about side quests. I don't think I've ever seen better done side quests besides The Witcher 3. What other games have better ones?

Zakalwe

Banned
It's good sci-fi done right, something that's awfully lacking in the medium. There are better books and films, sure, but I can count on one hand games with better sci-fi narratives.

Yeh, don't get me wrong, it's definitely up there for the medium. It's rare I actually feel compelled to finish a AAA game these days, but the story in Horizon pulled me forward without even thinking about it.

I'd say the history lessens were far more engaging than the present day stuff, though. I found the present day story to be really generic in terms of the actual tale, and most of the characters didn't appeal to me (Rost, Alloy. Sylens were good), whereas I felt quite engaged with the characters in the past and the tragedy of what happened felt weighty because I cared about how it affected them.

Overall I'd say the story was one of Horizon's plus points for sure.

Interesting about side quests. I don't think I've ever seen better done side quests besides The Witcher 3. What other games have better ones?

Modern or older? I could name quite a few older games that do side-quests better, but not many modern...

I can't remember many compelling side-quests from Horizon, though. outside of the main story and missions I felt most of the RPG stuff was a bit tacked on.

BumRush

Only gets better till the end imo.

Some have criticized the big info dumps via logs in specific areas (there is a particularly huge one towards the end), but after thinking about it I think the way it's been dealt with makes the most sense.

1- the logs location makes sense. It's where it is supposed to be, in areas that were by en large inaccessible until now, and for good reasons

2- it's optional content that fluffs out the world, but isn't necessary to understand the basics of what is going on.

My issue with them is not that they're there, just that they're too long (audio logs especially).

Man... some of there hunter trials are no joke challenging...

I hope it's worth getting all blazing suns for the hunter weapons. I have all the purple shadow weapons currently, but I'm not sure of the hunters lodge ones are any better....

If I got stuck I waited until I'd levelled up a bit, upgraded my weapons and then went back. I only have the last three to do now, I'll probably finish them when I'm near the end of the game.

abd

I am sitting at 52 hours currently, and I can comfortably say that inventory management is the only thing I truly dislike about this game.

I've run into the issue where I have like a dozen half-empty treasure boxes or whatever in my inventory because they all have modifications in them, but my maxed out modification inventory is already full of much better modifications that I've been hanging on to. Why isn't there an option to trash treasure boxes?

Then, I had the issue where all of a sudden I was out of ridge-wood because I had stopped collecting ridge-wood for awhile because the icon was red, but it was red because I had depleted my ridge-wood such that I only had one inventory slot left for ridge-wood and had taken up the other 4-5 slots with some other garbage items.

I wish I could dump anything I thought I might need later into a chest or something. My hoarding is now to my detriment.

It's a small complaint in the grand scheme of things, but I was in the middle of the last Cauldron last night when I ran out of ridge-wood. I made it out with like 3 hard point arrows and a tearblast arrow left.

There really isn't any reason to horde any machine parts; hearts, lenses, ect. Nothing is rare enough that it will be trouble to reacquire. Furthermore, just check the merchants and see what is needed for what you want to buy and sell the rest.

You found a deposit of unobtainium obviously.

I've never seen anything like that. Kind of looks like you were stuck inside of something.

It was on the right side of the map near the ring of metal~ there were alligators near it so I thought it was a secret area lol. Thats how they looked from a distance too

nelchaar

It was on the right side of the map near the ring of metal~ there were alligators near it so I thought it was a secret area lol. Thats how they looked from a distance too

I know exactly the area you are talking about and I've been there too! It looked like your picture. Maybe it's an unfinished area? Tweet it at the Horizon devs!

ErMerGerd

Neo Member
Hi guys so first time post here, been enjoying horizon

but what is this o.o

I saw this too! Thought I went somewhere I wasn't supposed to at first haha. Around the same area (on that coast of ruined buildings) if you look out at the water you can see what looks like a whirlpool as well. I was too afraid to swim out to it lol but its probably beyond the map borders anyways.

kikonawa

lmao, someone cut out Aloy from the Horizon advertising

C8P50QKXcAEkwRg.jpg:large

tweeted by Hermen Hulst

https://goo.gl/images/hdKPKE

This game, you guys. This game.

I'm loving the story and I'm loving the way I'm starting to piece everything together. I've always loved audio logs in games.

I'm at the part now where (mid/end game spoiler):
Aloy just discovered that Faro killed the Alphas by suffocating them, and he destroyed APOLLO.
. Man, fuck that selfish prick.

There really isn't any reason to horde any machine parts; hearts, lenses, ect. Nothing is rare enough that it will be trouble to reacquire. Furthermore, just check the merchants and see what is needed for what you want to buy and sell the rest.

It's more like, I only sell the bottom of my inventory every time I go to town (i.e., machine parts), and then I scroll up and have like 7 full slots of sparkers, and 10 metal vessel slots or something.

It's a part of the management that got away from me as my instinct all throughout the game, until I maxed out my carrying capacity, was to go hunt raccoons or whatever so I could carry more, instead of figure out what I should and shouldn't sell.

shiba5

Wow, the CE guidebook is gorgeous. It finally came!

Oh, and it's actually bigger than the complete Witcher 3 guidebook, but not as big as the Skyrim one.

VanWinkle

I thought this was cool. It may not be cool to anyone else but I guess I'm not a HUGE open world gamer so some stuff is still fresh to me.

I like to explore the edges of the map just to see where I can go and what I can see beyond, and whatnot. I decided to go back to Rost's house and explore behind it and all that and found an area that I haven't seen before (I'm sure many of you have). That's not the point, though. I was in this area of the map:

x1EJjOf.png

And I got high atop some old ruins and tried to look beyond. I saw a familiar sight: the spiral tower close to Meridian.

I was like, "huh? That's weird." I didn't know if maybe that was just a mistake or why I was seeing it at the edge of this far off map. And then I started looking closer at the map and realized that the spiral tower WAS within view, if you keep looking way past the blank area of the map and further into the other side, which I have highlighted in red.

V17K1ZC.png

Now that I'm writing this I'm thinking it's probably such a nothing thing to others, lol. But for some reason I just thought it was really cool because I'm accustomed to seeing a custom skybox at the edges of the map.

It's pretty cool, I did a lot of those things when I finished the game. There are some vistas and places you can go where you're not supposed to, it's cool.

I thought this was cool. It may not be cool to anyone else but I guess I'm not a HUGE open world gamer so some stuff is still fresh to me.

I like to explore the edges of the map just to see where I can go and what I can see beyond, and whatnot. I decided to go back to Rost's house and explore behind it and all that and found an area that I haven't seen before (I'm sure many of you have). That's not the point, though. I was in this area of the map:

x1EJjOf.png

And I got high on some old ruins and tried to look beyond. I saw a familiar sight: the spiral tower close to Meridian.

I was like, "huh? That's weird." I didn't know if maybe that was just a mistake or why I was seeing it at the edge of this far off map. And then I started looking closer at the map and realized that the spiral tower WAS within view, if you keep looking way past the blank area of the map and further into the other side, which I have highlighted in red.

V17K1ZC.png

Now that I'm writing this I'm thinking it's probably such a nothing thing to others, lol. But for some reason I just thought it was really cool because I'm accustomed to seeing a custom skybox at the edges of the map.

There are some areas "off the map" that don't give you the "Turn around or your game will be reloaded to the last save" warning that let you jump to an adjacent area. It's piqued my curiosity for sure about whether things exist in the black space 'off the map'.

shiba5

So did you guys know that the machines evolve after you kill a certain number of them? Because I didn't.
If you kill 5 Watchers, you will start seeing armored ones. If you kill 1 Rockbreaker, they become armored. I never even noticed!

There are some areas "off the map" that don't give you the "Turn around or your game will be reloaded to the last save" warning that let you jump to an adjacent area. It's piqued my curiosity for sure about whether things exist in the black space 'off the map'.

They do! but you can't advance much, the place where VanWinkle has set the cursor on are the peak of the mountains behind the jungle Hunting Ground, I climbed the top and there's a vast landscape there but if you try to step in you receive the message, at least you can see everything from up there, pretty cool.

Skux

Yeah, the first two were pretty easy, but the third with the Tie Down trial is pretty hard. So far I haven't been able to get blazing suns from any of those three Stamina trials. Someone said before, that it's possible to set the difficuly to easy for them, so I might try that after finishing the game. I wonder if the rewards are even worth the hassle, since I don't find time-limited challenges fun to do.

Here's how I did mine (hard difficulty):

- Parts wrangling trial: Use the tearblaster shotgun, you don't really have to aim, just tie down a Trampler and let rip, you should be able to tear off all the components in one tie down cycle.

- Pace trial: Climb two of the platforms to get to the Watchers, and then run to the middle of the arena where there's a third Watcher (don't go to the third platform, there's not enough time). Don't bother killing anything. Use fire arrows (with fire mods) to trigger the burning state on Glinthawks when they reach your Watcher to make them go away before it picks up the Watcher corpses.

- Tie down trial: Same as before, use fire arrows to trigger the burning state, this brings the Glinthawks to the ground. Then hit them with the ropecaster. Don't actually attack them once they're tied down, as they can escape and you may be able to tie them down again (which counts towards the goal).

I did find these difficult initially but once you have better gear (and most importantly, good mods), they're a lot easier.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The game needs a Souls Mode. You start at your Home with nothing but a bow and arrow. level 0. And You have to make it to the top left corner of the map with only a few bonfires on the way there.

Turn all enemy awareness way up so you HAVE to fight them and cant just sneak past everyone. Keep everything else the same.

GOTY.

How high can the mods go? Highest I've found is 40 something percent from killing thunderjaws or sometimes the alligators.

I have spent alot of time grinding Weapon coils and this are the best i gotten

One my Shadow hunter bow i have

48% Tear
20% Damage
11% Freeze

48% Tear
20% Damage
11% Fire

50% Tear
13 Handling
12% Shock

On my Lodge Sling Shot i have

49% Damage
20% Tear
11% Fire

46% Damage
11% Handling
11% Shock

46% Damage
11% Handling
11% Shock

On my shadow sharpshot bow i got

45% Tear
10% Handling
10% Shock

47% Tear
12% Handling
10% Shock

47% Tear
12% Handling
11% freeze

Those are my three best weapons mod wise

Also got my lodge ropecaster at

Handling of 143 with 251 tear

Also have alot of 50% freeze and fire and shock coils which i kinda never use

The best armor weave i have found is

20% Resist ranged attack
17% resist corruption
10% stealth

The behemoth and the rockbreakers are the best machines to try and get the best weaves and coils

Mathieran

Banned
Oh wow. She covers her ears because of the explosion!

I also noticed the other day if you are too close to a tear blaster arrow when it goes off if makes your ears ring as well.

Edit: I came here to say that after 73 hours I think it's time to move on for a while. A part of me really wants to start a new game but I need to try Zelda and some other games on my backlog. When I come back I hope there is a NG+ available so I don't have to farm all the carrying upgrades again.

Drahcir

Hey guys. Any good tips to get the fastest times for the Nora Hunting Grounds? I just beat the first one shooting blaze canisters off Grazers using tear arrows. That was easy. But the other two aren't as simple!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Hey guys. Any good tips to get the fastest times for the Nora Hunting Grounds? I just beat the first one shooting blaze canisters off Grazers using tear arrows. That was easy. But the other two aren't as simple!

Its sometimes easier to come back when you've got better weapons, more mods and skills. Some are easily cheesed like using tear arrows to knock a bunch of canisters off at once but you already did that one.

Ok so, 70 hours in, lvl 40, at
Deep Secrets of the Earth
and yeah I know I'm draggin' this mofo out

but

SIGH

This game. U gais. I can just wander around takin' screenshots for well over an hour or more, getting 'lost' in the environment. I love the forest the most, probably because of the windy pre-rain weather <3 So fuckin' good, it all just makes me wanna go camping

And I love the little animations Aloy does, but my favorite so far has got to be her standing idle animation of feeling the tall grass with her hands...

There're just so many little things that make this game so much fun to uh, spend time in (?) other than just playing it to progress the story line. We would be so lucky to get another game like this, so much so it hadn't even occurred to me until people started mentioning the possibility GOD that would be amazing <3

Lingitiz

Ok. I just did 10h of witches 3 a year go. After that a lot of work. I finished horizon in 55h in 2 weeks and it's one of my best game Erene. I tried to go back to witcher 3 Straight. Big mistake. Impossible
Witcher 3 has vastly superior quest design and interweaving plot lines, along with a better cast of side characters. Horizon has far better combat and enemy variety, and a much more direct main story. As someone who played Zelda and Horizon at the same time, give each game some distance. They do different things better than one another and you need to divorce yourself of those direct expectations before jumping back in.

Brine

At the final showdown mission now

- I got over-leveled very easily just by having some fun doing random stuff and as a result the story missions all became easy: each story mission added so much xp that I stayed over leveled
Well, levels don't necessarily mean much in this game, only health. I'd rather be level 1 with all the good weapons/mods then level 50 with all green weapons.

Witcher 3 has vastly superior quest design and interweaving plot lines, along with a better cast of side characters. Horizon has far better combat and enemy variety, and a much more direct main story. As someone who played Zelda and Horizon at the same time, give each game some distance. They do different things better than one another and you need to divorce yourself of those direct expectations before jumping back in.
Accurate.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
After beating this, I have to say it's a great game.

Some annoyances though.

-the rewards for the collectibles are universally freaking awful. Like super awful... like I can go kill a few thunderjaws or stormbirds and get way better loot and cash. For all the work to collect the flowers, vessels, etc... to have them give you really lame rewards is bad.

-reward boxes dropped from robots are equally bad... almost NEVER anything of value.. by games end I had over a dozen boxes with rock bundles I couldn't get rid of since I never use rocks, and the bundle fills your rocks up so I'd need to sit and toss rocks for like 30 mins straight to get rid of them all... that's not fun.

-the end levels basically being a
turret
mission and a fight against something you've already basically faced quite a few times was sort of a letdown. I wanted something new.

Otherwise, they nailed so much.. I didn't expect this from the same dev as Shadowfall.. which kind of shows how rushed for launch they were with it.

RPGCrazied

Just got the armor from the power cells.

I'm close to the end aren't I? What a ride. 40 hours is what it took me. And no, I didn't do everything. I wonder if I missed any quests, but I did every green ! that I came across.

Just got the armor from the power cells.

I'm close to the end aren't I? What a ride. 40 hours is what it took me. And no, I didn't do everything. I wonder if I missed any quests, but I did every green ! that I came across.

Yup, the end is near if you have the armor from the power cells. Now onto Persona 5 in 4 days!

Top Bottom