• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Remastered forces PSN login for PC users if they decide to upgrade

Draugoth

Gold Member
Horizon-zero-Dawn-remastered-dev-shuts-down-comparison.jpg

Source
Sony is forcing a mandatory PlayStation Network login on players of Horizon Zero Dawn Remastered on PC. After already annoying the internet with the game’s unnecessary remaster, PlayStation is about to infuriate a lot of PC players.

PSN forced into Horizon Zero Dawn Remastered​

Following the announcement of Horizon Zero Dawn Remastered, a PlayStation Blog post confirmed that PSN logins will be required for the new version of the game.

As fans create mods to strip PSN requirements out of single player games like God of War Ragnarok, fans have made it clear that the restriction has no place in single-player releases. After the Helldivers 2 PSN debacle, it has no place in multiplayer releases either.

In a PlayStation Blog post, Sony sneakily added a small notice that an “Account for PlayStation Network [is] required on PC”. In return for the account restriction, fans will be able to use the PlayStation Network overlay and earn trophies for their account.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Will the original version remain up for people who want it, or will this version replace it when released?

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
We've had this in 3(2 & a half?) games now. Aside from region restrictions, what's the actual downside of this?

Z O N E

We've had this in 3(2 & a half?) games now. Aside from region restrictions, what's the actual downside of this?

Well, it's quite simple...

Steam supports more regions than PSN.
PSN login will be required.
This means that Sony can't sell the game in the regions PSN is not supported in, even though Steam supports it. The game won't even appear in Steam for those regions not supported.

Basically, Sony cares more about MAU numbers than releasing the game without PSN login in all the regions Steam supports.

Last edited:

Z O N E

I'm gonna need a more simple explanation, they can get active users from steam to pad their "active users" in reports.

The point is they WANT PSN MAU numbers up, not Steam PC players playing their game.

Sony thinks that making PC players sign up for a PSN account to play their games, that those same people will then go and buy a Playstation and spend money on their eco-system.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
what is the benefit of this?
of there is none then it should rightfully be criticised
Just trying to understand. I haven't bought a PS game on Steam yet. I imagine the benefit to players is PS trophy support and the benefit to Sony is tracking and reporting. Is there cross save with PC games you log in with PSN? Because that would be huge.

CSJ

The point is they WANT PSN MAU numbers up, not Steam PC players playing their game.

Sony thinks that making PC players sign up for a PSN account to play their games, that those same people will then go and buy a Playstation and spend money on their eco-system.

They really have this aversion to selling as much as they can for money, huh?
For me, already owning a PS.. not sure what their end game is? I was hoping to move to buying Day 1 on PC (like helldivers) but who knows.

RCX

Now we're seeing another reason why these are all getting remastered, laying the PSN foundations into their old games on PC.... Ready for their PC store to launch 👀
Yep, and this has worked so well for all the other massive corporations that tried it in the past.

Steam player numbers are mediocre enough on Sony's games now that the honeymoon is over. Force their own store and numbers will only go down.

You're right though. They're absolutely going to do it.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yep, and this has worked so well for all the other massive corporations that tried it in the past.

Steam player numbers are mediocre enough on Sony's games now that the honeymoon is over. Force their own store and numbers will only go down.

You're right though. They're absolutely going to do it.
I didn't say anything about forcing it down. I think they might do it as an option. But agree that publishers not supporting Steam at (PC) launch on PC will pay the price.

StereoVsn

This means that Sony can't sell the game in the regions PSN is not supported in, even though Steam supports it. The game won't even appear in Steam for those regions not supported.

Basically, Sony cares more about MAU numbers than releasing the game without PSN login in all the regions Steam supports.
Like a small region called China that just bought like 15 million copies of Wukong.

RCX

I didn't say anything about forcing it down. I think they might do it as an option. But agree that publishers not supporting Steam at (PC) launch on PC will pay the price.
I've never understood the profit motive with these companies having their own bespoke launchers.

Yes they get a full cut of the sale but they sell exponentially fewer copies on it and it needs maintainance and development. Is it even worth it?

Sony won't even be able to tell themselves they're aiming to upend the market like Epic said they would.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

This is good considering Sony has a Playstation that they sell that plays all their games. They aren't a PC first Publisher.

HogIsland

Sony really didn't learn a damn thing from the backlash they got during the Helldivers 2 episode, did they?

I'd say I'm shocked but ... I'm not.
it is fucking insane. they had an unbelievable level of success. they trashed it. now they're doubling down.

Senua

Gold Member
This again??

Who the fuck cares about a damn login???

I have to login on 50 websites a day, even this one
Oh nooooooo /s
It's been zero days since PCMR whined about something.
This is good considering Sony has a Playstation that they sell that plays all their games. They aren't a PC first Publisher.
Welcome to the thread bros! So glad you could join us! And until the next PC thread you guys so clearly love to take part in.

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
While I understand just how much fun being angry at things can be, this is fucking stupid. Who cares. You're upset that regional restrictions on PSN mean that Tanzanian gamers can't play the game? Be serious. This is a dumb waste of time that will achieve absolutely nothing.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't know why Sony is forcing this. Just put the game on Steam and call it a day. Sony's head is so far up their ass that they are a genuine ouroboros. Eventually they will learn.

Eventually PC gamers will learn what Sony's true mission is. And yall will learn it's not caring mainly about PCMR.

HogIsland

Eventually PC gamers will learn what Sony's true mission is. And yall will learn it's not caring mainly about PCMR.

Hiroki Totoki said:
In the past, we wanted to popularize console and the 1st party titles' main purpose was to make the console popular. It is true, but there is a synergy to it. So if you have strong first party content, not only with our console but also other platforms like computers, 1st party can be grown with multiplatform and that can help operating profit to improve.

DJ12

I don't know why Sony is forcing this. Just put the game on Steam and call it a day. Sony's head is so far up their ass that they are a genuine ouroboros. Eventually they will learn.
Eventually PC owners will learn their role in Sony's plan.

Cash grab with minimal effort to tempt people to buy whatever PlayStation console is out there to play the ultimate, usually bug free, versions.

Sony are not going to Microsoft their consoles anytime soon, so.........

The Rock Shut Up GIF by WWE

sainraja

I don't think this issue needs to be highlighted over an over again lol. We know Sony is going to do this going forward... has the backlash over additional logins changed anything for other games that have required it? If not, then this won't change anything either. If you want the game, you want it, otherwise, just don't buy it.

I am curious, has any other game charged an upgrade fee for an existing version of a game that you have bought on PC? That is probably something the PC crowd should be outraged over.... (not talking about a remake type of situation)

Last edited:

sainraja

They probably want to be able collect some metrics on their games on PC? 🤷‍♂️

HogIsland

I don't think this issue needs to be highlighted over an over again lol. We know Sony is going to do this going forward... has the backlash over additional logins changed anything for other games that have required it? If not, then this won't change anything either. If you want it, you want it, otherwise, just don't buy it.

I am curious, has any other game charged an upgrade fee for an existing version of a game that you have bought on PC? That is probably something the PC crowd should be outraged over....
practically every major publisher is coming back to steam after pushing their own bullshit. only sony is moving in the wrong direction.

I'm just not going to play any of their games that require this shit.
As their strategy suggests they want.

You're upset that regional restrictions on PSN mean that Tanzanian gamers can't play the game? Be serious
So because I live in a 3rd world country, I don't deserve to play this glorified ubisoft third person collectathon clone?

edit: y'know what, I take that part back. It's sony being shitty. Guerilla games doesn't deserve to be called out

Last edited:
They probably want to be able collect some metrics on their games on PC? 🤷‍♂️
Others have mentioned that the PSN requirement blocks out certain regions from being able to play the game. That was an issue with PC HD2.

It's all hubris to me, but I love watching Sony burn money so full steam ahead AFAIC.

Top Bottom