• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Remastered forces PSN login for PC users if they decide to upgrade

tenor.gif

pudel

So Ubisoft, CDPR, EA, and Valve don't use mandatory software?
CDPR? Dude, they are the owner of gog. Just click the .exe and go into the game. Launcher is complete optional and you dont need to register or something. As it should be everywhere.
EA? Seems they doesnt want any launcher for Dragon Age anymore. They are on the right track (at least on this topic)
Valve? Its the pc games store.
Ubisoft...correct. Maybe we can get them to make this thing optional. But it doesnt work when you give excuses all the time. Somewhere you have to start to fight this shit back. Also for Ubi the launcher is basically their own store as well. Will be difficult.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
CDPR? Dude, they are the owner of gog. Just click the .exe and go into the game. Launcher is complete optional and you dont need to register or something. As it should be everywhere.
EA? Seems they doesnt want any launcher for Dragon Age anymore. They are on the right track (at least on this topic)
Valve? Its the pc games store.
Ubisoft...correct. Maybe we can get them to make this thing optional. But it doesnt work when you give excuses all the time. Somewhere you have to start to fight this shit back. Also for Ubi the launcher is basically their own store as well. Will be difficult.
You know what's a really good idea?

Reading the thread before you comment.

I was replying to this claim:

it's not actually common on pc to have to make an account to play a single player game.

You need to make an account on GOG to play single player games. That's how you purchase said games.

You need to make an account with EA. And Ubisoft. And Valve. That's the point. 'Not having to make an account on PC to play single player games' is not accurate.

Try reading the thread properly before you start mouthing off.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
PSN forced login is an online DRM. You can’t play the game you purchased offline.

That’s not even getting into the PC players in 170 countries that can no longer access the game.

There’s no point to it outside of Sony wanting control, just like they’re bending PlayStation console buyers over again and again. Your Papa Sony sucks dick.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
PSN forced login is an online DRM. You can’t play the game you purchased offline.

That’s not even getting into the PC players in 170 countries that can no longer access the game.

There’s no point to it outside of Sony wanting control, just like they’re bending PlayStation console buyers over again and again. Your Papa Sony sucks dick.
Wait, what? I thought you only needed to sign in once and then you were fine. You need to be always online to play?

Optimus Lime

But hogisland is right. On maybe 90% of the SP games on steam you dont need any login/account. On gog its more like 100%. We just talk about these big "AAA" corpos and their "special needs".
Steam IS the login/account. That's the entire point. Hogland's argument was that it's not normal to have to create an account on the PC to play single player games. Steam is account based.

It's really not that difficult of a concept to grasp.

graywolf323

Wait, what? I thought you only needed to sign in once and then you were fine. You need to be always online to play?
you don’t, I think it’s a poorly worded way of saying you have to be online the first time

but a LOT of games are like that on PC

pudel

Steam IS the login/account. That's the entire point. Hogland's argument was that it's not normal to have to create an account on the PC to play single player games. Steam is account based.

It's really not that difficult of a concept to grasp.
Yep, Steam is like the Playstation store. If you can explain me, how you want to buy yr games digital without an account...i am all ear. Its what happens afterwards what annoys most people...to login AGAIN into a game for no reason at all.

Optimus Lime

Yep, Steam is like the Playstation store. If you can explain me, how you want to buy yr games digital without an account...i am all ear. Its what happens afterwards what annoys most people...to login AGAIN into a game for no reason at all.
I don't really feel like explaining anything. It's all pretty much self explanatory.

MMaRsu

You can’t play the game you purchased offline.
Wrong

Because it's not worth it to them to operate in the countries where barely anyone buys videogames.

It sucks but it's like 0,001 procent of the countries buying games.

Last edited:

sainraja

+Rockstar, +Epic, +Microsoft.
It is everywhere.
Minecraft was the first game I had noticed that introduced a launcher.
Steam was the first marketplace, or at least what made it popular.

If you wanted to complain about them you’re about 21 years too late.
Interesting. So it is very much present in games by other publishers. Sony's just the latest one to be added to that list. If people settled with the others, they should eventually settle or make peace with Sony's login as well. I do wonder if their outrage for those other publishers was just as loud.

Regardless, you would think they would all find a better non-frictional way of getting people to "link" their accounts but that is not to be.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is simply not true. Maybe learn about the topic at hand before you start spouting nonsense

Maybe take your own advice before jumping to defend Sony.

Frustratingly, though, most "thumbs down" ratings from players bring up an issue that has nothing to do with performance at all: the fact that God of War Ragnarök requires players to sign in with a PlayStation Network (PSN) account and remain online in order to enjoy the game.
At first glance, asking fans to create a PSN account doesn't seem like a big deal, as they're free to make and Microsoft has put similar requirements in some of its own games without noteworthy controversy. The difference, however, is that PSN isn't available in over 170 countries and territories worldwide, effectively preventing anyone who lives in these regions from buying Ragnarök. The hook into PlayStation's network here also doesn't benefit the player in any way, and just seems to be a form of always-online DRM that forces you to stay connected to the internet while playing the single player title.

graywolf323

Maybe take your own advice before jumping to defend Sony.

Frustratingly, though, most "thumbs down" ratings from players bring up an issue that has nothing to do with performance at all: the fact that God of War Ragnarök requires players to sign in with a PlayStation Network (PSN) account and remain online in order to enjoy the game.
At first glance, asking fans to create a PSN account doesn't seem like a big deal, as they're free to make and Microsoft has put similar requirements in some of its own games without noteworthy controversy. The difference, however, is that PSN isn't available in over 170 countries and territories worldwide, effectively preventing anyone who lives in these regions from buying Ragnarök. The hook into PlayStation's network here also doesn't benefit the player in any way, and just seems to be a form of always-online DRM that forces you to stay connected to the internet while playing the single player title.
Windows Central isn’t remotely trustworthy…

reports from Reddit & Steam Community are that the offline mode seems to be broken at this time, some are reporting they’ve been able to get it to work offline and others are saying it’s only requiring online when launched, this isn’t how Ghost of Tsushima works

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Windows Central isn’t remotely trustworthy…

reports from Reddit & Steam Community are that the offline mode seems to be broken at this time, some are reporting they’ve been able to get it to work offline and others are saying it’s only requiring online when launched, this isn’t how Ghost of Tsushima works

Did you bother to read your own posts? Requiring an online connection to sign in everytime you want to play the game is the exact opposite of playing offline!

Stop shilling.

Yoboman

The sooner PC gamers realise they have zero bargaining power over Sony the sooner they can move on. Sony doesn't care about your tantrums, you contribute about 1% of their revenue if we are being generous and the most valuable thing you are to them is an MAU number. You are second class gamers to Sony. They simply don't care.

GHG

Epic Games Account = Oh, OK
EA Origin Account = Oh, OK
Ubisoft UPlay Account = Oh, OK
Rockstar Account = Oh, OK
Battle.net Account = Oh, OK
XBox Account = Oh, OK
PSN Account = OUTRAGEOUS

Silly PCMR Girls

That's because it's no longer PCMR, it's fast turning in to a green rat refugee camp.

I say it's high time we shut our borders for good.

Donald Trump Rnc GIF by Election 2016

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The sooner PC gamers realise they have zero bargaining power over Sony the sooner they can move on. Sony doesn't care about your tantrums, you contribute about 1% of their revenue if we are being generous and the most valuable thing you are to them is an MAU number. You are second class gamers to Sony. They simply don't care.
Is that why they removed the PSN requirement from Helldivers II after the review bombing?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
No, it's probably a bug.

Ghost of Tsushima doesn't work like this. Nor do any of their other SP titles.

I laughed because you 'read something' and inmediatly think that's how it works for all their titles.

Tsushima doesn’t work like that.

That doesn’t mean Sony isn’t going to try and push further with their latest release. I don’t trust Sony to not pull some crap that doesn’t benefit the customer.

All evidence points to them forcing a sign in everytime, which serves no purpose for a single player game. I’m glad the community is making a stink about it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

The people who pay to play online are the last ones to lecture anybody about bargaining power.

sainraja

Did you bother to read your own posts? Requiring an online connection to sign in everytime you want to play the game is the exact opposite of playing offline!

Stop shilling.
Well, you have to connected to the internet to log into any account though... he was addressing a different point you had made.

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
XBox Account = Oh, OK
PSN Account = OUTRAGEOUS

Silly PCMR Girls
Actually it's like this:
Any new account = OUTRAGEOUS
After enough time = Oh, OK

pudel

XBox Account = Oh, OK
PSN Account = OUTRAGEOUS

Silly PCMR Girls
These are all store accounts (except PSN), where nobody wants to be and which are forced over the store account, where you actually bought the game (because players want to be there).

GametimeUK

I don't see a benefit for forcing this on users. It could easily exist without the PSN requirement.

However, at least for those like me who don't mind signing in we can unlock Trophies etc. It gives the user some sort of cool functionality that I care about at the very least.

But also so many other games have their own launchers and sign ins, but for some reason it seems even more unacceptable when Sony do it.

HogIsland

I don't see a benefit for forcing this on users. It could easily exist without the PSN requirement.

However, at least for those like me who don't mind signing in we can unlock Trophies etc. It gives the user some sort of cool functionality that I care about at the very least.

But also so many other games have their own launchers and sign ins, but for some reason it seems even more unacceptable when Sony do it.
It just goes to show Sony is more occupied by collecting telemetry and boosting their activity numbers than providing a good experience to players. They think this comes for free without any hit to bottom line sales, but they're wrong.

Yoboman

i use steam and if a game requires another account then i'm not buying it. that goes for sony, ea, ubisoft, etc.

we'll just not buy their games then 🤷‍♂️ sony's loss.
Oh no they won't getting the miniscule numbers that PC ports are getting
Like I said you're too small in their revenue for them to care. You're not throwing weight around with a boycott when you weren't buying to start with and when Sony has no reliance at all on PC for success

Shane89

These are all store accounts (except PSN), where nobody wants to be and which are forced over the store account, where you actually bought the game (because players want to be there).
Technically not true, you have cloud gaming (which is virtually, a store) with a premium PS Plus account.

pudel

Technically not true, you have cloud gaming (which is virtually, a store) with a premium PS Plus account.
Doubt this works on PC....does it? :unsure: And even if it would....and I just dont want/need it. Make it optional for people who want these extra "services".

Astray

The outrage makes no sense, if you don't want PSN just don't buy the upgrade lmfao.

(Also you've already spread 'em for Epic, GOG, UPlay, EA, Battle.net etc etc etc, literally hilarious how one more account is somehow a problem)

Top Bottom