• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Remastered forces PSN login for PC users if they decide to upgrade

Sentenza

Eventually PC owners will learn their role in Sony's plan.

Cash grab with minimal effort to tempt people to buy whatever PlayStation console is out there to play the ultimate, usually bug free, versions.

Sony are not going to Microsoft their consoles anytime soon, so.........

The Rock Shut Up GIF by WWE
It's HYSTERICAL to me that people on PC are already barely even buying these games (because quite frankly no one is that hyped about them to begin with)... And STILL we have the occasional Playstation groupies musing about this alleged "genius plan" to lure PC gamers into getting the next Playstation at all costs because they'll be "heavily hooked on that good Sony stuff" or some shit.

Last edited:
It's not the end of the world since it's not another fucking launcher, I just don't see why it's necessary. It's just another thing I have to do before I can play.

sainraja

Others have mentioned that the PSN requirement blocks out certain regions from being able to play the game. That was an issue with PC HD2.

It's all hubris to me, but I love watching Sony burn money so full steam ahead AFAIC.
Hmm, but I doubt that is the driving force behind the requirement (although very possible it could be). I would think whatever data they can get is better for them.

simpatico

I mean, for the maybe one more time in my life that I will play HZD, I'm probably good with the version I have. That $10 nets me a nice roast beef sandwich.

Last edited:

sainraja

If they are fine with settling for an Epic Games Store-level of sales...
it's a do you or don't you type of situation. I think if Sony wants to be known as a platform, even on PC, having their own store is sort of what they need to do. If they don't care about that, then they can release supporting apps, like Sony seems to be doing but not clear what their end goal is.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Laughs in GOG

No thanks Sony, I'll keep my fully contained single player experience the way it is now

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
So because I live in a 3rd world country, I don't deserve to play this glorified ubisoft third person collectathon clone?

edit: y'know what, I take that part back. It's sony being shitty. Guerilla games doesn't deserve to be called out
I don't care what you do. And neither do 99.9999% of the outrage warriors in threads like this who are pretending that they're oh so angry about the fact that Solomon Islands gamers can't buy it. That's the point, which should have been very, very, very obvious to all but the dumbest posters.

I don't care what you do. And neither do 99.9999% of the outrage warriors in threads like this who are pretending that they're oh so angry about the fact that Solomon Islands gamers can't buy it. That's the point, which should have been very, very, very obvious to all but the dumbest posters.
Oh, your point is that people in the first world do not really care about that 'other countries can't play' aspect. In that case, yeah. I agree. Nobody really cares I can't play it.

I don't think that's the majority of complaints though. The sentiment I've seen in threads like this is more about the general anti-consumer aspect of it. Placing it in the 'car manufacturers are making seatwarmers part of subscriptions to increase revenue' and 'my store is increasing grocery prices unless I use their app so they can track my purchases and customize ads to make me spend more' dark psychological tactics that don't benefit me group (less extreme, of course).
At some point it just gets too annoying and in your face

edit: my complaint is legit, although, like I said, I'm just not even going to try to bypass any of this. Just won't play

Last edited:

Nydius

I was just reading the PlayStation blog post for LEGO Horizon Adventures and saw this footnote at the bottom.

They really can’t help themselves. 🙄

LpNBR1q.jpeg

Optimus Lime

dark psychological tactics that don't benefit me group (less extreme, of course).
Uh. It's a login. They aren't requiring biometric retina scanning. It's a login, like any of the other hundreds of logins that you submit on a daily basis. It's annoying, on basically the most minor scale imaginable. This entire thing is nothing more than idiots looking for a group identity and enjoying the outrage.

Nydius

This entire thing is nothing more than idiots looking for a group identity and enjoying the outrage.

So people who don’t want to have their country excluded because PSN doesn’t operate there, or people who understand this is another form of DRM control are “idiots”?

Quite the privileged take.

HogIsland

Uh. It's a login. They aren't requiring biometric retina scanning. It's a login, like any of the other hundreds of logins that you submit on a daily basis. It's annoying, on basically the most minor scale imaginable. This entire thing is nothing more than idiots looking for a group identity and enjoying the outrage.
This stuff happens on PlayStation too, and it also sucks. I don't see why you're fine with it. You're already logged into PlayStation, why does Ubisoft need you to make an account?

Optimus Lime

This stuff happens on PlayStation too, and it also sucks. I don't see why you're fine with it. You're already logged into PlayStation, why does Ubisoft need you to make an account?
I'm neither fine with it nor not fine with it. It's an inconvenience that is part of products that are designed to be connected. Yes, we all miss the days of buying a game on a disc and our relationship with the corporation ending at that point, but it's not 1999 anymore. Singling out Sony for the levels of screeching and hysteria seems delusional and pointless. And, Sony is a company that I can't stand for the most part.

HogIsland

I'm neither fine with it nor not fine with it. It's an inconvenience that is part of products that are designed to be connected. Yes, we all miss the days of buying a game on a disc and our relationship with the corporation ending at that point, but it's not 1999 anymore. Singling out Sony for the levels of screeching and hysteria seems delusional and pointless. And, Sony is a company that I can't stand for the most part.
it's not actually common on pc to have to make an account to play a single player game.

Optimus Lime

most of these aren't true, and IM AGAINST THEM. I don't know why you're grasping to make excuses for it.
So Ubisoft, CDPR, EA, and Valve don't use mandatory software?

Are my Steam games DRM free? Can I install them without the Steam client? What? I can't?

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Just sit down and shut up.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Unless it's by Ubisoft. Or CDPR. Or EA. Or Valve. I don't even know what you're arguing at this point.
Have even Ubisoft added online account requirements to a single player game after launch? I don't give a shit, I linked my steam account to a PSN account for a free skin, but Sony majorly fucked up with Helldivers 2, and are gonna be dogged by that mess for a long time. Adding in the account if you upgrade is kinda tone deaf on Sonys part.

bitbydeath

Have even Ubisoft added online account requirements to a single player game after launch? I don't give a shit, I linked my steam account to a PSN account for a free skin, but Sony majorly fucked up with Helldivers 2, and are gonna be dogged by that mess for a long time. Adding in the account if you upgrade is kinda tone deaf on Sonys part.
Ubisoft games have to run through Ubisoft connect.

Yep, and this has worked so well for all the other massive corporations that tried it in the past.

Steam player numbers are mediocre enough on Sony's games now that the honeymoon is over. Force their own store and numbers will only go down.

You're right though. They're absolutely going to do it.
Now we're seeing another reason why these are all getting remastered, laying the PSN foundations into their old games on PC.... Ready for their PC store to launch 👀
And their PC store could be a potential win scenario if any user can still access at least 90% of their pre-existing digital library from PS4/PS5, on the PC.

Otherwise it would be way too late to start a brand new storefront from scratch. A decade late in fact.

Sorcerer

At this point Sony should just have its own store on PC instead of trying to make Steam a "Playstation" store. It only makes sense if your sole purpose is to push people to sign up for an account. Same with all of the other services that demand an additional account.
I guess they can't deal with certain aspects of their intellectual property being out their control even if it's very minor.
It's as though Sony and the others are torn between losing some control but can't resist the additional money from PC players. Play ball or take that ball and go home.

• Triggered
Reactions: GHG

Robb

Gold Member
I’d be surprised if it didn’t. They’re obviously going to do this with everything, they want your data and to be able to boast about the amount of PSN users.

Easiest thing is to just not buy the games.

Onironauta

Will you be able to run the game offline after the initial login?

That sounds like a big limitation for handheld computers, if you want to play during a flight for instance

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
And their PC store could be a potential win scenario if any user can still access at least 90% of their pre-existing digital library from PS4/PS5, on the PC.

Otherwise it would be way too late to start a brand new storefront from scratch. A decade late in fact.
I would expect that is the play, also maybe prepping to offer a form of PS+ on PC, so being able to offer their flagship games world be desirable.

It would be interesting if all these PS1/2 classics that have been released in PS4 and PS5 wrappers, also had the work done in the background for PC versions too.

Top Bottom